PDA

View Full Version : Question for Bills Fans From A Dolphins Fan

chambers8484
10-09-2006, 12:30 AM
I'm not here to argue or bash the bills, I'm here to ask a question. I have read many threads here and I am extremely curious as to why many of you hate the dolphins more than all the other AFC East teams. Personally I have always hated the pats with a passion, but in general I hate the team on top of the division the most. I mean I figure the past is the past right? I am not saying I like the Bills, but they are not my least favorites, not even close. I hate Tom Brady and his ugly face, and I hope you guys do too, but apparently before the today's game some of you were saying you hoped we lost because you hate us. What's the deal with that? How do you not hate the pats more? Anyways, just curious.

Ingtar33
10-09-2006, 12:44 AM
0 for the 1970's

SABURZFAN
10-09-2006, 12:46 AM
0 for the 1970's

that still bothers me. :mad:

chambers8484
10-09-2006, 12:47 AM
that's 35 years ago

SABURZFAN
10-09-2006, 12:56 AM
that's 35 years ago

that's just one reason too.

Ingtar33
10-09-2006, 01:37 AM
It might be years ago, but 0 for the 1970's is the root of the hatred.

They raise kids in buffalo on that.

I doubt there is one person in buffalo who doesn't know it.

We just transfer that hatred to whoever is on the fins now.

Do you know there are still people in buffalo who think Thurman Thomas is a traitor for playing 1 single season with the dolphins? Think about that.

It's passed beyond simple rivalry hatred to a more irrational sort of cultural hatred now.

And knowing all of that... I still take joy in the fins pain, i revel in it. I laughed my head off in Marino’s last game against the jags. I mean the bills suffered the music city miracle that very same weekend, and here I am dying with laughter, riveted to the screen watching the fins get embarrassed 63-0 (or whatever the score was)

so... I suppose you could say, our reasons for hating the fins have gone well beyond rationality, and into almost a type of psychosis.

I just hate them with a passion.

Ebenezer
10-09-2006, 03:10 AM
Ingtar summed it up perfectly...

let me ask this: chambers8484 are you under 25?? anybody over 40 remembers that decade all too well...

evol4276
10-09-2006, 03:18 AM
I'm not here to argue or bash the bills, I'm here to ask a question. I have read many threads here and I am extremely curious as to why many of you hate the dolphins more than all the other AFC East teams. Personally I have always hated the pats with a passion, but in general I hate the team on top of the division the most. I mean I figure the past is the past right? I am not saying I like the Bills, but they are not my least favorites, not even close. I hate Tom Brady and his ugly face, and I hope you guys do too, but apparently before the today's game some of you were saying you hoped we lost because you hate us. What's the deal with that? How do you not hate the pats more? Anyways, just curious.
i do hate the pats more than the fins

Historian
10-09-2006, 06:07 AM

Do you know there are still people in buffalo who think Thurman Thomas is a traitor for playing 1 single season with the dolphins? Think about that.

It's passed beyond simple rivalry hatred to a more irrational sort of cultural hatred now.

And knowing all of that... I still take joy in the fins pain, i revel in it. I laughed my head off in Marino’s last game against the jags. I mean the bills suffered the music city miracle that very same weekend, and here I am dying with laughter, riveted to the screen watching the fins get embarrassed 63-0 (or whatever the score was)

so... I suppose you could say, our reasons for hating the fins have gone well beyond rationality, and into almost a type of psychosis.

Same here.

Add to that Don Shula was on the competition committee for the entire decade of the 1970's. Every time there was a disputed call it went his way because:

1. He would parade out onto the field to "help" the refs on national tv.
2. They were afraid to rule on calls against him.

A total conflict of interest.

The 1970's Dolphins were a solid team, no doubt. Unfortunately, part of their dominance over Buffalo was due to the referees constantly ruling in favor of Shula.

BleedinGreenNC
10-09-2006, 06:23 AM

As a Jet's fan, i can say that i hate the Phins waaaay more than the Pat's, just for the simple fact that your bretheren over at Finheaven thought you guys were going straight to the SB, and that only for a select few, nobody can talk serious football over there.

I hope you lose every damn game from now until the end of the world. I respect the Bill's because i have family that likes the Bill's, but your team can eat crap for all i care.

Historian
10-09-2006, 06:29 AM
I hope you lose every damn game from now until the end of the world. .

:rofl:

Ebenezer
10-09-2006, 06:42 AM
Add to that Don Shula was on the competition committee for the entire decade of the 1970's.

From what I understood for most of the 70s he WAS the competition committee. It was a solo position.

Earthquake Enyart
10-09-2006, 06:54 AM
Don Shula is the Anti Christ. Nuff Said.

Mitchy moo
10-09-2006, 06:58 AM
that's 35 years ago

We never forget good or bad, it's a Buffalo thing. When the 90's rolled around and we usually beat up on the fins, I remember my Mom, Dad and grandparents being so happy. It was almost like we we're being set free and nothing could be better that day.

Most of them are gone now except for my dad and I carry on the tradition for the family.

P.S. We had the only Bills top level majority skybox during this years game 2 in Miami, 2 down from the hooters box and did we ever whoop it up. The fans looked like their dogs had been shot after we walked out of the stadium, it was quite refreshing.

Coach Sal
10-09-2006, 07:03 AM

I'm not even old enough to remember the ass kickings of the 70's, but 0-for-the-decade is the big reason. Not just because the Bills lost twenty in a row, but because of what surrounded that decade in Buffalo.

During the time the Dolphins were winning 20 straight over the Bills, the city of Buffalo began its economic downturns - the steel mills, which were the heart of the Buffalo blue collar workforce, began shutting down, and many families not only lost their jobs, but their livelihoods.

Then came 1977. One of the worst blizzards in the history of this country cripled the city. Twenty-nine people died in the storm - the first snowstorm to warrant a federal disaster area declaration. Total damage reached $300 million (in 1977 dollars - for a snowstorm - wow). For almost two weeks, national news reports showed images of our city blanketed in snow up to the roofs of houses. All of this clinched the city's reputation as the snow capital of the country, and a "miserable" place to live (which all of us who are from there know that is totally NOT the case).

So, to answer your question - the 1970's were full of misery and heartbreak in the city of Buffalo for several reasons. And during that time the Miami Dolphins added insult to injury and beat us down every single time we met. So, Buffalonians started to and will always continue to associate all of that misery and frustration with the Miami Dolphins.

Earthquake Enyart
10-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Plus it's the way we lost many of those games. We were truly snakebit.

Coach Sal
10-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Plus it's the way we lost many of those games. We were truly snakebit.

They beat us 24-23 during their undefeated season.

I believe we missed a late FG in that one. If we had made it, there would be no popping of the champagne every year when the last undefeated goes down.

FinFaninBuffalo
10-09-2006, 09:32 AM
Same here.

Add to that Don Shula was on the competition committee for the entire decade of the 1970's. Every time there was a disputed call it went his way because:

The 1970's Dolphins were a solid team, no doubt. Unfortunately, part of their dominance over Buffalo was due to the referees constantly ruling in favor of Shula.

I grew up in Buffalo and became a Dolphins fan largely because of 0 for the 1970's. I also hated Joe Ferguson and his head hanging. For me, Griese embodied the Dolphins and Ferguson embodied the Bills.

Regarding the Shula thing. The questions raised by Bills fans are complete nonsense. The competition committee did not oversee the refs. The referees enforce the rules that the league puts in place. The competition committee was responsible for reviewing the rules and suggesting changes to be voted on by the owners. The committee was responsible for making rule changes that made the game better and more enjoyable for the fans and players. Given the growth in popularity of the NFL over that time period, I'd say they were pretty successful.

Shula was not the only person from an NFL team (obviously) on the committee. So was Paul Brown, Al Davis, Tex Schramm, and George Young. Many other coaches have served (or are serving) on the committee:

Paul Holmgren, Jeff Fisher, Dennis Green, Tony Dungy, Dick LeBeau, Andy Reid, Marvin Lewis, Al Groh, and many more.

Shula was on the committee from 1975 until 1995. He was NOT on the competition committee for the entire decade of the 1970's as you claim. His SB victories came before his involvement on the committee. If his role on the committee was so unfair, why did the other teams go along with it, and why did it not result in SB victories.

The Bills of the 1970s were a sorry franchise and their fans needed to invent demons to make themselves feel better.

justasportsfan
10-09-2006, 09:36 AM
I hated the cowboys more than I did the fins until I moved to So. Fla. That's when I discovered finfans were a bunch of trailer park fans. Not all though. Just the majority. BY far the most fairweathered fans in the NFL IMO. I don't really hate the team. I have a lot of respect for guys like Thomas. I just want them to lose because fairweathered finfans deserve it.

Cntrygal
10-09-2006, 09:44 AM
The 1970's started it all for me.

Even when a dolphins win helps the Bills into the playoffs, I just root for their opponent to lose - not for the dolphins to win. I hate the dolphins.

THATHURMANATOR
10-09-2006, 09:46 AM
To me the rivalry is nothing. It was great in the 90s with Marino vs Kelly and Cox being a a hole. I definitly hate the Patriots the most currently but I really don't feel a super hatred for anyone in our division like I used to.

I say put us in a division with the Steelers, Browns, and Cincy. It would make much better rivalries.

MikeInRoch
10-09-2006, 09:58 AM
Also, I hate the Dolphins because I hate Dolphins fans.

If I ask nearly all of the Dolphins fans I know why they are fans of the Dolphins, it's because they were a successful team in the (now distant) past. In other words, it's because they needed to root for a "safe" team that would always have a fallback ("Hey, at least we've won the Super Bowl a few times, and we have that undefeated season...").

In my opinion, that's a BS reason to choose a sports team. People that choose sports teams for that reason are bandwagon fans by definition.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-09-2006, 10:01 AM
there is always a list of reasons to hate the fish...
right now it is because saben was the love child of the media all offseason and now he is so smug even though he is getting his head handed to him each week.

Mitchy moo
10-09-2006, 10:56 AM
there is always a list of reasons to hate the fish...
right now it is because saben was the love child of the media all offseason and now he is so smug even though he is getting his head handed to him each week.

It's getting served with cheese as well, lol.

chernobylwraiths
10-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Same here.

Pat Toomay

:mad:

DynaPaul
10-09-2006, 11:13 AM
I hate our rivals in this order:

1) Pats
2) Dolphins
3) Jets

I hate the Pats the most because they are winningest, non-dominant team I've ever seen in my 18 years of watching football. I just don't think they're very good but somehow they always seem to be the beneficiary of some BS call. Even when they had Bledsoe behind center you knew something shady was gonna happen during a Patriots game.

The Dolphins are second but it's harder and harder to hate since they've been irrelevant for so long. Back in the Kelly-Marino days the Dolphins were number one and we always seemed to face them in important games. During this era the Jets and Patriots were bottom tier because frankly they sucked.

The Jets never did have any real rivalry with us during my time watching football. They've had spurts of being a good team but I never had the hatred for that team except when their fans try and claim that they're a New York team.

mybills
10-09-2006, 11:26 AM
My old order was
Fins
NE
Jets
Colts

Once NE started winning SB's, the so called Pat's fans came out of the woodwork, and things have never been the same.
NE :down:
Fins
Jets

Historian
10-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Regarding the Shula thing. The questions raised by Bills fans are complete nonsense. The competition committee did not oversee the refs. The referees enforce the rules that the league puts in place. The competition committee was responsible for reviewing the rules and suggesting changes to be voted on by the owners. The committee was responsible for making rule changes that made the game better and more enjoyable for the fans and players. Given the growth in popularity of the NFL over that time period, I'd say they were pretty successful.

All the more reason for Shula to shut his pie hole and stay on the sidelines, as he used to come onto the field to lecture the referees on how they were supposed to call a play.

Shula was not the only person from an NFL team (obviously) on the committee. So was Paul Brown, Al Davis, Tex Schramm, and George Young. Many other coaches have served (or are serving) on the committee:

Paul Holmgren, Jeff Fisher, Dennis Green, Tony Dungy, Dick LeBeau, Andy Reid, Marvin Lewis, Al Groh, and many more.

See above.

Shula was on the committee from 1975 until 1995. He was NOT on the competition committee for the entire decade of the 1970's as you claim. His SB victories came before his involvement on the committee. If his role on the committee was so unfair, why did the other teams go along with it, and why did it not result in SB victories.

A. No one's talking about the years he went to the SB, and B. Because everybody caught on to what he was up to. The league finally put a muzzle on him.

The Bills of the 1970s were a sorry franchise and their fans needed to invent demons to make themselves feel better.

:rofl:

North_Coast
10-09-2006, 01:53 PM
0 for the 70s is what it's all about.

When we finally beat the Carp in 1980, at home in Rich Stadium (now the Ralph), the fans tore the goal posts down and brought at least one up to Ralph's box. It was like we won the Super Bowl.

Michael82
10-09-2006, 05:14 PM
I hate the Patriots more than the Fins now. To all the fans who were alive in the 70s and watching those games, I would now turn it around and say that's the reason I hate the Patriots. They own us the same way the Dolphins owned us in the 1970s. Belichick is Shula. :ill: But the Dolphins are still right up there. I can't stand them either.

YardRat
10-09-2006, 05:27 PM
As other's have said...

O'fer the '70's.
Don Shula.

I don't care if the Patriots or the Jets win four super bowls in a row, I'll still hate Miami more.

Mitchy moo
10-09-2006, 05:29 PM
As other's have said...

O'fer the '70's.
Don Shula.

I don't care if the Patriots or the Jets win four super bowls in a row, I'll still hate Miami more.

me 2.

The_Philster
10-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Let's not forget the gay colors :limp: Football is a manly sport...teal and orange? :limp:

bigbry
10-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Very disappointed in Bills fans.

BB

!Papacrunk!
10-09-2006, 06:29 PM
THis is a good thread, I've wanted to create a similar one in the past, but now I don't have to. For me, I hate the Patriots, just because they've been so gee golly great the last some years, the Jets have always been our nemesis and they currently have the all time record in their favor, and any contempt I've had for the Bills probably stems from their dominance in the 90's which is still clear in the 'ol memory.

BleedinGreenNC
10-09-2006, 06:45 PM
THis is a good thread, I've wanted to create a similar one in the past, but now I don't have to. For me, I hate the Patriots, just because they've been so gee golly great the last some years, the Jets have always been our nemesis and they currently have the all time record in their favor, and any contempt I've had for the Bills probably stems from their dominance in the 90's which is still clear in the 'ol memory.

I hope Joey boy gets a case of crabs that will not go away!!

The_Philster
10-09-2006, 06:47 PM
I hope Joey boy gets a case of crabs that will not go away!!
I'm sorry....you were saying?:pant: ...Jessica...

chambers8484
10-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Honestly, the problem is that I see all these fans that say that they hate the phins more than any other team regardless, when I say personally that I will root for the patriots if I have to in order to better the Dolphins' chances. Honestly, I just want to win the division that's all just like every other fans are. No, I wasn't alive for the 1970's and I became a Dolphins fan because they were the first seem that I have ever seen play football, and Dan Marino is awesome. I am originally from San Francisco, have lived out here my whole life. I grew up when steve young and joe montana were dominating the league. Instead of hating eachother let's hate the pats for now, then when one of us becomes the best in the division we can hate that team. That's just how I feel.

Devin
10-09-2006, 07:22 PM

Thats it really

The Jets dont bother me, the Pats I despise but they just dont matchup to the hatred I have for the fins. I think the Bills/Fins rivalry is the largest in the AFC east.

For so long during the Kelly era it was Kelly Vs. Marino. The AFC east was the Bills and Fins.

I hate the dolphins, I always will.

Devin
10-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Honestly, the problem is that I see all these fans that say that they hate the phins more than any other team regardless, when I say personally that I will root for the patriots if I have to in order to better the Dolphins' chances. Honestly, I just want to win the division that's all just like every other fans are. No, I wasn't alive for the 1970's and I became a Dolphins fan because they were the first seem that I have ever seen play football, and Dan Marino is awesome. I am originally from San Francisco, have lived out here my whole life. I grew up when steve young and joe montana were dominating the league. Instead of hating eachother let's hate the pats for now, then when one of us becomes the best in the division we can hate that team. That's just how I feel.

Understandable, I get what your saying.

The goal of winning the division is there for any fan. If the Bills were to lose 14 games and their only 2 wins were against the fins the season wasnt wasted.

Mitchy moo
10-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Understandable, I get what your saying.

The goal of winning the division is there for any fan. If the Bills were to lose 14 games and their only 2 wins were against the fins the season wasnt wasted.

lol.

Dozerdog
10-09-2006, 08:07 PM
0 for the 1970'sBingo

Cntrygal
10-09-2006, 08:59 PM

Nice sentiment. I wish failure on the Pats right after the fins lose. :D

Cntrygal
10-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Nice sentiment. I wish failure on the Pats right after the fins lose. :D

In fact.. it would be perfect if the fins went 0-16 and the Pats went 2-14. :biggrin:

BADTHINGSMAN
10-09-2006, 09:19 PM
I grew up watching the Bills beat up on the Dolphins.. So it stuck to hate the Dolphins.. I have nothing against Phin fans, just hate the Phins.. I lost respect for Thurman after he signed with Miami..

:squish:

RedEyE
10-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Born in '73, it was just something that was done. You never questioned it.

pmoon6
10-10-2006, 10:31 AM
It also doesn't help when you go to a Miami game at Pro Player and you see Dolphin fans throwing ears of corn, potatoes and Whiskey bottles at Bills fans walking through the parking lot. Along with their t-shirts that say "Buffalo, Really, Really, Really, Really, Sucks. Starting fights with you in the stands and when you stand up, they back down.

The arrogance and nastyness, the derision of the City of Buffalo and the people that live there.

Personally, I wouldn't be at all saddened if Osama and his band of brothers blew Pro Player to kingdom come on a Sunday afternoon.

LtFinFan66
10-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Don Shula is the Anti Christ. Nuff Said.http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e348/LtFinFan66/Shula1993mug.jpg

BleedinGreenNC
10-10-2006, 06:45 PM
EVIL!!

Mitchy moo
10-10-2006, 06:49 PM
EVIL!!

You maybe a jets fan but i like you style, always something cool to stare at in your posts.

BleedinGreenNC
10-10-2006, 07:06 PM
You maybe a jets fan but i like you style, always something cool to stare at in your posts.

I like a good view from time to time!!