PDA

View Full Version : Relax and Enjoy the Ride.

Jan Reimers
10-09-2006, 09:23 AM
The Bills proved once again yesterday that they are a young, inconsistent, mistake-prone team. We've already had a couple of relatively good games, a couple of stinkers, and one kind of in the middle somewhere.

I was very upset with our complete ineptitude against the Bears, but in retrospect, I realize that we had the misfortune of playing our worst against one of the league's best, and at their house. Who knows what next week will bring? I certainly don't, but I would hope for a better effort, if only because Detroit is struggling more than we are.

For me, the pressure is off. We showed yesterday that we are not yet capable of playing with the league's elite teams, and that the playoffs are a very remote possibility. I'm just going to enjoy the last remaining 11 games, without hoping for much except improvement toward being a much better team next year. And for me, that's tough, because I hate losing as much as anyone on this board.

I'm no longer dead on certain of anyone on this team for the long term, except perhaps for Evans, Whitner, Simpson, Crowell and Moorman. It will be fun to watch some of the other young guys, including JP, try to find their game during the rest of the season. I think they will.

But I also think it's going to take these last 11 games, a good 2007 draft, the signing of some quality free agents, and a very productive offseason of OTAs, minicamps and training camps to get this organization ready to compete for the postseason. I really think the coaching and a nucleus of good players are in place, but we're far from where we need to be.

I'm willing to spend this year cheering for nothing but improvement, but I would like to get the rebuilding behind us this season. I want to spend next season rooting for a playoff caliber team.

Night Train
10-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Well stated.

This team is rebuilding ( Sorry TKO ) and my prediction of 5-8 wins looks about right. Losses like this are hard to take but hardly surprising.

The Coaching staff needs to learn the roster and who can play/win for them. I expect even a bigger roster turnover after this season.

Jan Reimers
10-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Well stated.

This team is rebuilding ( Sorry TKO ) and my prediction of 5-8 wins looks about right. Losses like this are hard to take but hardly surprising.

The Coaching staff needs to learn the roster and who can play/win for them. I expect even a bigger roster turnover after this season.
Exactly. This year - unlike last - we're building for next season, so a poor record and some bad performances aren't so galling. We're getting extensive playing time from 5 defensive rookies, at least 3 new free agents on offense, and a number of 2nd and 3rd year guys, including JP - who will hopefully get a full season to demonstrate whether or not he is our QB of the future.

We wiil know exactly where we stand after the next 11 games, and can then use the offseason to add and subtract personnel.

I like the approach that Marv and Dick have taken, in that we now seem to have a plan, and are sticking to it. We spun our wheels for several years under the old regime.

BillsFever21
10-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Anybody who thought this team was gonna win 10 games and compete for the playoffs needs their head examined.

I predicted 6 wins this season. We're on pace for 6 wins. Good coaching could get us to at least 8 wins but we haven't had that in a decade.

Mad Bomber
10-09-2006, 11:01 AM
For me, the pressure is off. We showed yesterday that we are not yet capable of playing with the league's elite teams, and that the playoffs are a very remote possibility. I'm just going to enjoy the last remaining 11 games, without hoping for much except improvement toward being a much better team next year. And for me, that's tough, because I hate losing as much as anyone on this board.

:bf1: Well said, Jan.

I'm looking forward to seeing this very young team gel into a cohesive unit. As you said, we're not capable of competing with the league's elite teams yet. What I'm looking forward to for this year is the ability to consistently beat the teams we "should" beat...this is the first baby step we need to take on the road to becoming a playoff caliber team.

We have very real chances of beating the Lions, Packers, Texans, Jets, Dolphins and Titans. If we do that and don't win another game, that still puts us at 8-8. Not bad for a "rebuilding" year with a bunch of rookies.

mybills
10-09-2006, 11:09 AM
I think we were screwed from the get go with the schedule, too. 3 div rivals in a row, then 2 tough teams, and we finally catch a break in the 6th week against a struggling Lions team who's had weeks to improve. At this point, I'm not even going to say the Lions game is a given, I'm just looking forward to hopefully crushing NE at our house, before going into the bye.

billsfairweatherfan
10-09-2006, 11:23 AM
lets talk after the Lions, Packers, Texans, Jets, Dolphins and Titans.the jets are already one up on us.

OpIv37
10-09-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm just looking forward to hopefully crushing NE at our house, before going into the bye.

problem is the pats will be coming off their bye- I don't know if there's any team in the league that can beat them when Bellicheck has two weeks to prepare. And I don't know why we have to play them off the bye for the third ****ing year in a row.

mybills
10-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Like I said, Op...we were screwed from the get go.

dolphan117
10-09-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm pretty much taking the same view with my Dolphins. They certainly havent lived up to the hype for any number of reason and it has definantly been dissapointing even though I didnt think they were a SB team this year. I'm just going to enjoy the games and be happy that I have fellow fans in the VIP section of finheaven to enjoy the season with. At some point its more importent to just enjoy the game and be happy with what you have than ***** about what could have been. I guess thats just my perspective on life, ****s going to happen so you might as well learn to enjoy life in the midst of it because its never going to be perfect...... That being said I really do wish we werent 1-4. :D: