PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts...

Pride
10-11-2006, 10:38 AM
You all know that often I like to just say what's on my mind. Helps me stay sane I guess haha. So here is another one of those posts... feel free to reply if the mood strikes you.

(in no particular order)

1. I am satisfied with where the team is right now. I am one of the few fans that realize that babysteps in the right direction is a good thing.

2. I am 90% happy with the offensive playcalling. But the 10% (meaning the pages left over from mularky) need to go.

3. I am fine taking a chance here and there, but please be more cautious of the potential for momentum shifts. When the score is tied, I'd prefer to not hand the momentum to the opposing team.

4. JP is just fine. I will give him the rest of the season then judge him. I am happy with what I've seen so far. If her were a rookie, the chicago game wouldn't have been any different. To me, until JP has started 16 games, he is still a rookie.

5. Bills fans need more to do with their time after a loss.

6. I was wrong about Levy's draft. He did a great job, and I can admit that I was wrong. Are they hall of famers yet? No, but they are as good as anyone else we would have gotten... and they have a much bigger upside.

7. If Buffalo doesnt go out and get at least 2 stellar/solid/proven OLmen this offseason, next year will look much like this year.

8. Regardless of our defensive scheme... I want a Fat run clogger in the middle of our defensive line. I do not value speed at DT.

9. While I dislike Clements, I don't think he is as bad as a lot of you think he is. McGee doesn't look that great either... and that tells me that it is more of a DLine pressure thing rather than an effort or skill thing.

10. So far, we are better than I expected, and it is good to see an energy back on the field that we haven't seen in years. I, for one, am happy with how things have turned out thus far.

That is all, feel free to post your opinion...

Jan Reimers
10-11-2006, 10:45 AM
I agree with you 100%, Pride. I think we may also need a pass rushing DE and a stud LB, in addition to the O linemen and DT you mention. And this assumes that Youboty can take over for the departing Clements.

eyedog
10-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Good post.
I also like the fat run clogger at d-tackle. What is happening with the run defense is what I was worried about before the season. Still early though and I'm willing to give this defense a chance.
JP is here to stay. He will be the qb for the next couple of years at least. And if they can get him some real o-lineman he may actually surprise a lot of people.

Mr. Miyagi
10-11-2006, 11:16 AM
:goodpost:I agree with most of your points, except:

8. Regardless of our defensive scheme... I want a Fat run clogger in the middle of our defensive line. I do not value speed at DT.

9. While I dislike Clements, I don't think he is as bad as a lot of you think he is. McGee doesn't look that great either... and that tells me that it is more of a DLine pressure thing rather than an effort or skill thing.
I think these two points contradict each other in our defensive scheme. In order to get pass rush we need speed and sacrifice size. Getting a fat run clogger in there will only cut the speed rush. It's one or the other I think.

mybills
10-11-2006, 11:21 AM
#1. There are more than just a few fans that realize that babysteps in the right direction is a good thing.

SABURZFAN
10-11-2006, 11:22 AM

when the beer runs out,what do we do? :idunno:

OpIv37
10-11-2006, 11:30 AM

If Clements only had one or two bad games, I'd agree with you. But he's going on a season and a half of bad games. McGee has been much better and much more consistent over that span.

Tatonka
10-11-2006, 11:47 AM
You all know that often I like to just say what's on my mind. Helps me stay sane I guess haha. So here is another one of those posts... feel free to reply if the mood strikes you.

(in no particular order)

1. I am satisfied with where the team is right now. I am one of the few fans that realize that babysteps in the right direction is a good thing.

2. I am 90% happy with the offensive playcalling. But the 10% (meaning the pages left over from mularky) need to go.

3. I am fine taking a chance here and there, but please be more cautious of the potential for momentum shifts. When the score is tied, I'd prefer to not hand the momentum to the opposing team.

4. JP is just fine. I will give him the rest of the season then judge him. I am happy with what I've seen so far. If her were a rookie, the chicago game wouldn't have been any different. To me, until JP has started 16 games, he is still a rookie.

6. I was wrong about Levy's draft. He did a great job, and I can admit that I was wrong. Are they hall of famers yet? No, but they are as good as anyone else we would have gotten... and they have a much bigger upside.

7. If Buffalo doesnt go out and get at least 2 stellar/solid/proven OLmen this offseason, next year will look much like this year.

10. So far, we are better than I expected, and it is good to see an energy back on the field that we haven't seen in years. I, for one, am happy with how things have turned out thus far.

That is all, feel free to post your opinion...

awesome post... i agree 100% w/ everything u said

Tatonka
10-11-2006, 11:51 AM

I think these two points contradict each other in our defensive scheme. In order to get pass rush we need speed and sacrifice size. Getting a fat run clogger in there will only cut the speed rush. It's one or the other I think.

i think he is referring to a fat run clogger as a situational player. you can still have a pass rushing DT and a run stuffer at the same time and rotate them as needed.. see indy last year.. tripplett and corey simon.

OpIv37
10-11-2006, 11:54 AM
i think he is referring to a fat run clogger as a situational player. you can still have a pass rushing DT and a run stuffer at the same time and rotate them as needed.. see indy last year.. tripplett and corey simon.

also a fat run stuffer can collapse the pocket- even if he's not close enough to the QB himself he can reduce the room the QB has and force him to move in the pocket a little.

RedEyE
10-11-2006, 11:55 AM
I think Tripplet could be more effective with some fat ass beastly ***** jamming up the line.

Typ0
10-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Look at all the "JP Is a Rookie" pondits in this thead! :rolleyes:

Folks, he has been in the league for three years. Hes had three years to learn. He most absolutely does not belong packed away in the same drawer as leinhart and young who are now starting. He may be a little green with starts but he is by no means a rookie.

Typ0
10-11-2006, 12:06 PM

not true...a guy who can clog up the middle will free up other faster guys to rush the passer. Right now, we can not handle that part of the field. We need to handle that part of the field.

BAM
10-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Good post Pride! I agree with most of what you said here.

NorthCarBills
10-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Great post, I also agree 100%!

If the fat, run stopping DT can also get after the QB, that would be the only extra icing on the cake for me.

LtBillsFan66
10-11-2006, 12:27 PM
LMAO at #1!!!! You have to be kidding. You're the one who was done with the franchise a few short months ago. Don't come waltzing back and proclaim yourself as one of the few who are glad about the direction of the team. Especially since a lot here are content at the moment. Did did you hit your head when you jumped off the bandwagon?

LtBillsFan66
10-11-2006, 12:28 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=98606

LtBillsFan66
10-11-2006, 12:30 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=105480

THATHURMANATOR
10-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Yeah BF didn't Pride jump ship a while back?

Patti120
10-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Great post!

LtBillsFan66
10-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Yeah BF didn't Pride jump ship a while back?
Yep.

justasportsfan
10-11-2006, 12:39 PM
LMAO at #1!!!! You have to be kidding. You're the one who was done with the franchise a few short months ago. Don't come waltzing back and proclaim yourself as one of the few who are glad about the direction of the team. Especially since a lot here are content at the moment. Did did you hit your head when you jumped off the bandwagon?
he's not the first or that last. A few of them will be jumping on the bandwagon. It's up to you to make space though. Now , move over, Pride is seating beside you.

LtBillsFan66
10-11-2006, 12:40 PM
he's not the first or that last. A few of them will be jumping on the bandwagon. It's up to you to make space though.
I don't mind him jumping back on. It's the proclamation that he's one of the few. Give me an ***** break.

justasportsfan
10-11-2006, 12:43 PM
I don't mind him jumping back on. It's the proclamation that he's one of the few. Give me an ***** break.
Some of them will be jumping off again if we lose to detroit. Kewl, more leg room.

EDS
10-11-2006, 12:51 PM

But you do not play the fat run clogger on obvious passing downs so not a problem. I think what Pride was refering to was getting a Grady Jackson type ans using him like the Falcons do - on obvious run downs (i.e., 20 snaps a game). The Falcons have been undersized the past few years on defense despite being a solid overall defense and have really helped their run defense by inserting Grady on first downs and other obvious run downs.

Pride
10-11-2006, 01:22 PM
I will admit that I was, and still very much am not as a die hard as I used to be. And as I stated in all of those posts that I am sure you linked to... I said that they (the Bills players and organization) would have to earn my faith and devotion back. I meant every word of what I said, and I stand by it.

That said, this years Bills have gotten off to a good start to win me (and a lot of other fans) back. As I said in those posts... it isnt about the wins, its about the dedication, the intelligence, and the belief that we are on the right track... something we haven't been for almost a decade.

So, link all you want. I stand by what I said, I still feel the same way, but I am also open and ready for them to earn my trust back... something they are beginning to do!

justasportsfan
10-11-2006, 01:26 PM
I will admit that I was, and still very much am not as a die hard as I used to be. And as I stated in all of those posts that I am sure you linked to... I said that they (the Bills players and organization) would have to earn my faith and devotion back. I meant every word of what I said, and I stand by it.

That said, this years Bills have gotten off to a good start to win me (and a lot of other fans) back. As I said in those posts... it isnt about the wins, its about the dedication, the intelligence, and the belief that we are on the right track... something we haven't been for almost a decade.

So, link all you want. I stand by what I said, I still feel the same way, but I am also open and ready for them to earn my trust back... something they are beginning to do!
You judged this regime before they even had a chance to hit the field. I too was skeptical about Jauron, but Marv deserved the benefit of a doubt that we gave TD when he first came on board.

Welcome back anyways :up:

Pride
10-11-2006, 01:27 PM
oh, and as for the "one of a few" comment.

If you read these forums, it would seem that there are only a few of us. And I certainly never said you weren't one of them.

Pride
10-11-2006, 01:29 PM
It had nothing to do with this regime. It had to do with history. 10 years left a VERY sour taste in my mouth, and rather than continuing to blindly believe, I chose to take a "Show me" approach. So far it's worked!

HHURRICANE
10-11-2006, 01:32 PM
1) I wonder how Ngata would have looked here instead of Whitner? I'm not ready to give Levy an A for his draft, maybe a solid B.

2) The Bills are what I expected and that's a good thing.

3) JP needs to keep developing because we can't afford another draft pick or FA QB.

4) A couple more offensive lineman and I think we will be okay.

5) Our D scares the **** out of me. I was concerned before the season started and I'm still not impressed. The rookies are the only saving grace.

justasportsfan
10-11-2006, 01:32 PM
It had nothing to do with this regime. It had to do with history. 10 years left a VERY sour taste in my mouth, and rather than continuing to blindly believe, I chose to take a "Show me" approach. So far it's worked!
If it had nothing to do with this regime then why are you jumping on board? Isn't this team where it's at because of the new regime? I would've joined you if TD was still making the decisions. You can't tie Marv and co. to the last 5 years.

By saying "show me", again is a fairweathered approach.

OpIv37
10-11-2006, 01:33 PM

I'm with you on that one.

justasportsfan
10-11-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm with you on that one. Surprise, surprise. Not. Pride pretty much has the same mindset you have. Trash the team first and jump on the wagon later. It's that mentallity that's gotten him heat in the first place. You've had your share.

jmb1099
10-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Welcome back! Some of you guys need to cut Pride some slack. We all get pissed about the direction of the team from time to time.
And great post Pride.

OpIv37
10-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Surprise, surprise. Not. Pride pretty much has the same mindset you have. Trash the team first and jump on the wagon later. It's that mentallity that's gotten him heat in the first place. You've had your share.

Ralph hasn't proven he can pick a successful GM in his last two tries.

Levy has never proven he can be a successful NFL GM.

Jauron hasn't proven he can be a successful NFL coach.

This doesn't mean they're incapable of it, but I don't see why we should have faith in them to do something without any evidence that suggests they can do it. That's all I'm saying.

Pride
10-11-2006, 01:43 PM
I only debate this because it is slow here at work today...

But I find it funny that by me posting that I feel this team is on the direction, some of you automatically think that I am back to being a full time, non-questioning, believer that this team is great! That isn't the case. I am still very apprehensive about this team and organization.

They've done a lot of stupid things in recent years... and as an earlier post of mine says... they have to earn my loyalty back (not that I am going anywhere in the meantime of course).

It will take more than a few games to make me an unquestionable fan again. But for now, I am enjoying the progress we're making.

To those who have welcomed me back... I appreciate the sentiment!

Pride
10-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Good Post Op!

justasportsfan
10-11-2006, 01:46 PM
That's all I'm saying.

you could've fooled me.

Levy knows football. You blasted him instead of keeping an open mind about it.

Jauron was a coach of the year . So you are WRONG. He has tasted success.

justasportsfan
10-11-2006, 01:49 PM
They've done a lot of stupid things in recent years... and as an earlier post of mine says... they have to earn my loyalty back (not that I am going anywhere in the meantime of course).

! none of which were MArv's moves. When you made the thread that BF1 posted, it was in reaction to Marv's draft. Pretty obvious you bailed out on the guy. Now you're back. You can't put the last 5 years and Marv's moves in the same sentence or argument.

OpIv37
10-11-2006, 01:53 PM
none of which were MArv's moves. When you made the thread that BF1 posted, it was in reaction to Marv's draft. Pretty obvious you bailed out on the guy. Now you're back. You can't put the last 5 years and Marv's moves in the same sentence or argument.

This post makes a faulty assumption: that hiring Marv wasn't one of thos stupid moves. Right now, we just don't know- he could be a genuis at the GM job or he could be Matt Millen East. Based on this organizations track record in recent years, how can you blame Pride for a healthy amount of skepticism?

justasportsfan
10-11-2006, 01:58 PM
This post makes a faulty assumption: that hiring Marv wasn't one of thos stupid moves. Right now, we just don't know- he could be a genuis at the GM job or he could be Matt Millen East. Based on this organizations track record in recent years, how can you blame Pride for a healthy amount of skepticism?
there's a difference with being skeptical and blasting a move. Blasting a move means you've already decided. Being skeptical means there is room for a benefit of a doubt.
Skeptic= I'm not sure.
Trashing/blasting a decision = I'm sure.