PDA

View Full Version : Pats extend C Dan Koppen...

Ickybaluky
10-12-2006, 07:29 PM
LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2623040)

They now have their top 7 OL are under contract through 2008:

LT Matt Light (2010)
LG Logan Mankins (2009)
C Dan Koppen (2010)
RG Stephen Neal (2009)
RT Ryan O'Callaghan (2009)
Swing T Nick Kaczur (2009)
C/G Russ Hochstein (2008)

Their top 5 DL are signed through 2008:

DE Richard Seymour (2009)
NT Vince Wilfork (2009)
DE Ty Warren (2008)
DE Jarvis Green (2009)
NT/DE Mike Wright (2006, EFA in 2007, RFA in 2008, UFA in 2009)

If you want to know how the Pats stay together, it is because they build the team strong on the lines. These guys are allowed to play together and grow together, and the team stays strong because if it.

YardRat
10-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks for rubbing it in.

SABURZFAN
10-12-2006, 07:33 PM
i was pissed when we didn't draft him.he's a good player and it was a smart move to lock him up.

SABURZFAN
10-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks for rubbing it in.

:rofl:

DynaPaul
10-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Who was the one OL that they didn't even offer a contract to? He got pissed and I think his Dad was talking **** about the Pats in the media. Pretty sure it was last season.

ICE74129
10-13-2006, 07:34 AM
Sorry but WTF does that have to do with the Bills?

mybills
10-13-2006, 08:07 AM
If you want to know how the Pats stay together, it is because they build the team strong on the lines.
More proof that Brady is over-rated. :snicker:

Ickybaluky
10-13-2006, 08:18 AM

I don't know about that, but I do think QB is dependent on those around him more than any other position. No matter how good a QB is, he can't function without confidence in the guys protecting him.

mybills
10-13-2006, 08:25 AM
I've always said he wouldn't look as good without those S.B. players around him. And he hasn't. Maybe he'll look good again with this group, but so far he doesn't. If the QB is really good, he'll look good behind any OL. JMO.

Mr. Cynical
10-13-2006, 05:32 PM

Bingo. Don't forget BB's master gameplans as well. Brady is a product of the system. He's a very good QB, no question...but no where near as good as alot of people (media in particular) have been saying.

BILLSROCK1212
10-13-2006, 07:39 PM
what is an EFA?

Ickybaluky
10-13-2006, 07:43 PM
what is an EFA?

Exclusive Rights FA. He was undrafted and signed a 2-year deal, but the Pats can retain his exclusive rights by tendering him a 1-year contract for minimum 3rd-year salary. After that year, he would be restricted and they can retain his rights with a higher tender.

After his 4th season (2008), he becomes eligible for unrestricted free agency.

SABURZFAN
10-13-2006, 08:03 PM

go to the index page and you'll see that this section is talk about the Bills and the rest of the NFL. :rolleyes:

Devin
10-13-2006, 08:12 PM

This forum is for Bills/NFL related posting.

Devin
10-13-2006, 08:13 PM

If JP could be over-rated and win us 3 superbowls id be ok with that.

mybills
10-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Well, we're gonna have to get JP a SB OL, first! :snicker:

SABURZFAN
10-14-2006, 06:10 PM
thanks for the neg,ICE,but that's Mr.Dickhead to you. :rolleyes:

Ickybaluky
10-14-2006, 10:33 PM
mybills, I understand you hate the guy but you only expose yourself as a fool if you are trying to argue Brady is overrated and made by his OL.

If he is made by his OL, how did he lose his starting LT to injury for the season in the 3rd game last year, and his starting C to injury in the 9th game last year and still manage his best season, completing 63% of his passes and 26 TD (to only 14 Int) while leading the league with over 4100 passing yards? Late in the year, the rookie who filled in for the LT was injured as well, thus leaving the 3rd string OT to start for the team in the final 2 games of the season and both playoff games.

In fact, if you look at their history with Brady the Pats have had to juggle their OL pretty much every year. The only OL they have had who made the Pro Bowl since Brady took over was Damien Woody (2002). The only other player on offense to make a Pro Bowl (besides Brady himself) since Belichick took over was Troy Brown in 2001, when he was named as an alternate.

Yet you are going to try and argue he is made by the talent around him? That flies in the face of the facts. This is the first year Brady has been protected by what could be considered a good OL. Unfortunately, he has lost both his starting WR front a year ago, and has had to break in several new players at that position.

Yet despite that, he is getting the job done well enough to keep the team winning. That is why the Pats are successful on offense, he is the one constant. They have won when they could run the ball and they have won when they couldn't. They have won when they lost OL and they have won when they lost WR. The one player who has been a constant through the whole deal is Brady, and his ability to get the job done under a variety of circumstances in the biggest of games is the thing that makes him great.

mybills
10-15-2006, 05:51 AM
I never said I hated him, but I stand by the "overrated" comment. Plus I don't give a rats ass about 4,000 yds..thanks to Bledsoe who did that and we still missed the playoffs.

Yes, Brady's OL has had a lot to do with his success, including his wr's, but more importantly, Vinateri. If Tom was that good, why couldn't he get the ball to a receiver in the end zone in those S.B.'s? He couldn't do it, so Vinateri had to win the games for them. Not to mention, the zebra's help in just about every game. So yes, Brady = overrated.

He's had some great plays (like hitting his receiver by throwing from the seat of his pants) and I remember calming down the Pats fans on draft day when they were pissed off that they lost Drew & got him. Proof to me that most Pats fans don't know jack.
You are an exception, NE, but maybe you just don't see, or don't want to see just how overrated he really is. :idunno: