PDA

View Full Version : Bills X Files: Can we get real for a moment?

HHURRICANE
10-13-2006, 08:04 AM
Here they are:

1) Clements is going nowhere! We don't have a replacement for him so there will be no trade. He's better than people think around here. QB's don't throw on his side because he is doing some things right.

2) We are not trading for, or giving up a draft pick, for yet another receiver.

3) Denney did and still sucks. Kelsey and Schobel are not far behind. Until we get real pass rushing DE's plan on our secondary looking like crap. McGee and Clements aren't getting a fair break.

4) The coaching staff is 10 times better than what we had last year. Other than Bobby April having too much influence they have done a good job.

5) This team is not that talented!! We need some more players.

DMBcrew36
10-13-2006, 08:10 AM
Some good points, especially number one. Clements isn't as good as he thinks he is (BY FAR), but he is decent. And Youboty isn't ready to start just yet.

OpIv37
10-13-2006, 08:31 AM
Here they are:

1) Clements is going nowhere! We don't have a replacement for him so there will be no trade. He's better than people think around here. QB's don't throw on his side because he is doing some things right.

2) We are not trading for, or giving up a draft pick, for yet another receiver.

3) Denney did and still sucks. Kelsey and Schobel are not far behind. Until we get real pass rushing DE's plan on our secondary looking like crap. McGee and Clements aren't getting a fair break.

4) The coaching staff is 10 times better than what we had last year. Other than Bobby April having too much influence they have done a good job.

5) This team is not that talented!! We need some more players.

Good post.

The only thing I slightly disagree with is Schobel. I think he'd be great if the opposing offense had to worry about blocking someone other than him. As it stands now, they can pretty much double Schobel on every play because no one else on our DL is a legit sack threat.

YardRat
10-13-2006, 08:35 AM
1 and 2--I agree.

3--None of the DE's are dominant, but they've played acceptable IMO. Although an upgrade would be nice, I don't think it's one of the bigger needs at the moment.

4--I'm happy with the coaching staff, so far.

5--Every team needs more talent. We're awful young, and may have a lot of that on the team right now as they practice and play more.

justasportsfan
10-13-2006, 08:51 AM
THe DE's look worse than they do because teams are running up the middle which take them out of the play. I'm more concerened about the DT's than I am about the DE's.

Tinboy
10-13-2006, 08:57 AM
1. Amen! He looks worse every week.
2. Yupp we have enough as it is.
3. Don't agree, Schobel is good and both Kelsey and Denney have improved.
4. Coaching has been good but there's room for improvment.
5. I think we have good talent but wouldn't say no to more players. Let's bring in some good FA next year and let em battle it out at training camp.

HHURRICANE
10-13-2006, 09:10 AM
I figured I might get some difference of opinion on #3. When you don't have any Pro-Bowl caliber DT or DE's your defense is going to struggle. Our pass rush is non-existant. The Vikings game was a true test of how weak we are.

By the way, Ngata is looking like someone we should have taken.

justasportsfan
10-13-2006, 09:22 AM
I figured I might get some difference of opinion on #3. When you don't have any Pro-Bowl caliber DT or DE's your defense is going to struggle. Our pass rush is non-existant. The Vikings game was a true test of how weak we are.

By the way, Ngata is looking like someone we should have taken.Huh? I don't know what you and Op were watching. I'm not saying our pass rush is all that, but of all the games to choose you pick the vikes game? Brad Johnson was pressured and hit a lot although there were no sacks.

OpIv37
10-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Huh? I don't know what you and Op were watching. I'm not saying our pass rush is all that, but of all the games to choose you pick the vikes game? Brad Johnson was pressured and hit a lot although there were no sacks.

I completely disagree. The lack of a pass rush, particularly later in the game, is what allowed Johnson to make passes and keep the Vikings in the game.

A lot of us have complained about the Bills' inability to play a complete game and put teams away- the lack of pressure towards the end of the game is what kept us from putting Minnesota away. The outcome ended up in our favor, but it was a lot closer than it would have been with more of a pass rush.

justasportsfan
10-13-2006, 09:27 AM
I completely disagree. The lack of a pass rush, particularly later in the game, is what allowed Johnson to make passes and keep the Vikings in the game.

A lot of us have complained about the Bills' inability to play a complete game and put teams away- the lack of pressure towards the end of the game is what kept us from putting Minnesota away. The outcome ended up in our favor, but it was a lot closer than it would have been with more of a pass rush.

I watched and rewatched the game. He was hit and pressured. Even these guys agree.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061001/SPORTS03/61001007/1021

You can make a valid point against the bears but not the vikes game. Our D also made their O commit 12 penalties. Look at the coaching grade. "Pressure" was repeated again.
Brad got hit even when he threw that dropped pass that would've killed us.

LIke I said, if our DE's didn't have to worry about stopping the run, they do get pressure.

HHURRICANE
10-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Huh? Brad Johnson was pressured and hit a lot although there were no sacks.

That's why they call it an oxymoron!!

justasportsfan
10-13-2006, 09:37 AM
That's why they call it an oxymoron!!
Punt.

Jan Reimers
10-13-2006, 09:51 AM
I basically agree, HH, but I believe (1) our DEs are adequate, and (2) Clements and McGee must share some of the blame for getting burned so often, and for consistently missing tackles.

That being said, I'd like to see us bring in a pass rushing DE to play opposite Schobel, with Denney and Kelsay playing reserve roles; and I hope Youboty can replace Nate - who appears to be losing interest here - next season.

HHURRICANE
10-13-2006, 10:40 AM
I basically agree, HH, but I believe (1) our DEs are adequate, and (2) Clements and McGee must share some of the blame for getting burned so often, and for consistently missing tackles.

That being said, I'd like to see us bring in a pass rushing DE to play opposite Schobel, with Denney and Kelsay playing reserve roles; and I hope Youboty can replace Nate - who appears to be losing interest here - next season.

In my scenario Schobel is playing back up and Denney/Kelsay are gone but realistically you are correct.

I don't think are DE's are adequate!!!