PDA

View Full Version : SPIKES Update....

Michael82
02-26-2003, 03:33 PM
The Bengals had a short conversation Tuesday with Spikes' agent, Todd France, but Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said he fully expects Spikes to test the market. Contracts expire overnight Thursday.

"It's at the point where that's best for him," Lewis said of Spikes, who was designated the team's transition player two weeks ago. The Bengals have the opportunity to match any offer sheet Spikes would receive in free agency.

France did not return a phone message Tuesday.

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2003/02/26/bengals26.html

Michael82
02-26-2003, 03:34 PM
I really think we have a good shot of getting him to become a Buffalo Bill. I just hope that Tom Donahoe has the patience to wait the week out. Come on TD! Please work your magic and get us TAKEO SPIKES!!! :up:

justasportsfan
02-26-2003, 03:38 PM
I'd love to have Spikes here, but I'm beginning to think he may be too expensive for the good of the team.

TedMock
02-26-2003, 03:54 PM
Like anything else, it depends. We're freeing up quite a bit of money. I don't think you give him $7mil but 5 isn't unrealistic. They have a very slim chance of paying a little less for two reasons; 1. The Bengles aren't going match much and 2. Due him playing for the Bengles, he didn't make the probowl. They could always say that they can't justify paying him quite the same as pro bowlers are getting paid. I know he's a hot commodity but what does his agent say to his "probowl" clients when Spikes negotiates a far superior contract than they got. The agent wants the most cash he can get but sometimes you have to make sacrifices to keep your clients. It also seems to me that he'd actually like to play in Buffalo.

shelby
02-26-2003, 04:24 PM
Spikes is TD's kind of guy.
i hope his price tag isn't too high.

don137
02-26-2003, 04:47 PM
As much as I think Spikes is a stud of a football player I don't think any linebacker is worth the money that Brooking received from Atlanta and Spikes will be looking for a similar deal.

ublinkwescore
02-26-2003, 04:57 PM
If Spikes wants that kind of money, I say "sorry pal, not on my team are you going to play Linebacker, and make that kind of money unless you are the second coming of LT, Dick Butkus, an injury free Cowart clone, or a Ray Lewis clone.

I just hope that Spikes really wants to play here. I remember hearing something about him saying something about money not being an issue, and that he just wants to compete. Well guess what Mr. Spikes, this is your team - you can be a major contributor here, and you'll probably be in the playoffs next year, and in the probowl - if not get a RING!!