PDA

View Full Version : JP-How do you feel about his future here?

The_Philster
10-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Where do you stand on him so far...especially after the last two weeks? Have the last two weeks made you give up on him....or start to doubt him...or what?

Philagape
10-15-2006, 06:56 PM
I've said all along I'd give him the year, and I stand by that.

He makes mistakes that are still correctable. And he makes plays few QBs in the league can make.

And there is NOTHING like actual game experience. It's STILL too early to make a judgment either way.

Dozerdog
10-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Like the rest of the players on this team- produce or get the **** out

LtBillsFan66
10-15-2006, 06:59 PM
I have some serious reservations about him.

He's a great athlete, no doubt. But he needs to become a leader. Which I highly doubt will ever happen.

patmoran2006
10-15-2006, 07:04 PM
I put I have some serious reservations about him.

I wouldnt call him a bust yet, he makes a play here and there most others cant..... but when you cant put a team on your shoulders and beat a joke of a team like the Lions, your not that far away from holding a clip board somewhere.

OpIv37
10-15-2006, 07:20 PM
I had a lot of confidence in him after the first 4 games, but I'm really losing it after the last 2. I thought the Jets game was a fluke but 2 of the 3 games he's played since then have been plagued with rookie mistakes. At what point is he going to "get it"?

I'm not willing to run him out of town just yet, but he has 10 games to prove he's an NFL quality QB or else it's time to start looking elsewhere (note to Levy and company: by "elsewhere" I do NOT mean Jake Plummer).

Michael82
10-15-2006, 07:40 PM
How about....

5. I like what I see so far, but need to see more consistency from him.

justasportsfan
10-15-2006, 07:43 PM
I still like JP. It's Fairchild I'm worried about. Now I'm starting to have my doubts about MCNally too.

The_Philster
10-15-2006, 07:43 PM
How about....

5. I like what I see so far, but need to see more consistency from him.
I'd put that in option 2, honestly

shelby
10-15-2006, 07:53 PM
i have doubts:ill: but i can't give up hope yet.

Michael82
10-15-2006, 07:56 PM
I still like JP. It's Fairchild I'm worried about. Now I'm starting to have my doubts about MCNally too.
McNally can't turn **** into gold.

Ron Burgundy
10-15-2006, 08:13 PM

+1

By the end of this year, if he isn't producing, then he HAS to get the **** out.

Novacane
10-15-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm losing faith. I still say give him the season. Show some real progress by seasons end or hit the road.

DraftBoy
10-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Serious Reservation....he has the skill but apparently cant put it all together...he lacks consistency, and at times he seems to lack the maturity to be a good NFL starter, almost Bolleresque.

X-Era
10-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Where do you stand on him so far...especially after the last two weeks? Have the last two weeks made you give up on him....or start to doubt him...or what?

To be honest, Id like to see a category thats entitled, "Im drawing no conclusions till the seasons over". I think theres plenty of us that feel that way.

Mr. Cynical
10-15-2006, 08:33 PM
As I mentioned in past threads, he has the tools but I'm seriously doubting he has the "football sense" to take advantage of those tools. I'm not saying he's RJ.....yet....but he's slowly getting to that fork in the road. Still, I say give him the entire season. This team is going nowhere IMO, and my prediction of 5-11 is not as far off as some may have thought. And it's not like we have anyone on the roster we need to "check out". Play him out for the rest of the year, for better or worse.

mybills
10-15-2006, 08:39 PM
I still love him. He's the best thing that's happened to this team in a long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, time.

wtf is wrong with you young ones?..oh wait, you're young. :chuckle:

X-Era
10-15-2006, 08:50 PM
As I mentioned in past threads, he has the tools but I'm seriously doubting he has the "football sense" to take advantage of those tools. I'm not saying he's RJ.....yet....but he's slowly getting to that fork in the road. Still, I say give him the entire season. This team is going nowhere IMO, and my prediction of 5-11 is not as far off as some may have thought. And it's not like we have anyone on the roster we need to "check out". Play him out for the rest of the year, for better or worse.

I cant put my finger on it, but the kid isnt done. RJ didnt have the mental dilligence, ever. JP has the right outlook and all the talent you need. He just might be the right guy if we can get a team around him.

I like his mental qualities, hes not a guy who hangs his head, hes not a guy who doesnt compete, hes not a guy who doesnt care, and he not a guy who wont get mad and verbal when we play bad. Hes just aguy without experience.

hes someone who has been counted on too early and too often and you cant do that with him yet.

It wasnt this game or any other single game that makes or breaks him. Im not sure I can even say that he doesnt have what it takes. I still have hope that he is one of the corp players that could be on the next Bills playoff teams.

But, hes flat out screwed if we continue to run this frugal game in FA. We have needs on the lines, and we havent adequately addressed them. It MUST be taken care of properly or ANY Qb is screwed here.

Only difference between Peyton and JP is that one has done something for another team, they BOTH wont do squat here at this rate.

Mr. Cynical
10-15-2006, 08:54 PM
I cant put my finger on it, but the kid isnt done. RJ didnt have the mental dilligence, ever. JP has the right outlook and all the talent you need. He just might be the right guy if we can get a team around him.

I like his mental qualities, hes not a guy who hangs his head, hes not a guy who doesnt compete, hes not a guy who doesnt care, and he not a guy who wont get mad and verbal when we play bad. Hes just aguy without experience.

hes someone who has been counted on too early and too often and you cant do that with him yet.

It wasnt this game or any other single game that makes or breaks him. Im not sure I can even say that he doesnt have what it takes. I still have hope that he is one of the corp players that could be on the next Bills playoff teams.

But, hes flat out screwed if we continue to run this frugal game in FA. We have needs on the lines, and we havent adequately addressed them. It MUST be taken care of properly or ANY Qb is screwed here.

Only difference between Peyton and JP is that one has done something for another team, they BOTH wont do squat here at this rate.

I don't disagree completely....but....I still say that regardless of the team and the stats and the W-L record a natural QB has a presence that you can't teach. To date, JP hasn't shown it IMO. I think the comparison to Peyton is a bit of a stretch...statwise Peyton may have struggled early in his career as well but he always had "it", even when he performed poorly.

HHURRICANE
10-15-2006, 09:05 PM
It's still too early to decide if we have our guy or not. Too early.

The irony is that the kid is completing over 60% of his passes, has more TD's than Int's, and has a QB rating that is in the top half of the league. What are we expecting?!

If he get's rid of some of the fumbles and figures out how to throw a touch pass he would look pretty good.

ublinkwescore
10-15-2006, 09:08 PM
I put I have some serious reservations about him.

I wouldnt call him a bust yet, he makes a play here and there most others cant..... but when you cant put a team on your shoulders and beat a joke of a team like the Lions, your not that far away from holding a clip board somewhere.

Yeah, he got all kinds of help from the D today... :rolleyes:

X-Era
10-15-2006, 09:12 PM
I don't disagree completely....but....I still say that regardless of the team and the stats and the W-L record a natural QB has a presence that you can't teach. To date, JP hasn't shown it IMO. I think the comparison to Peyton is a bit of a stretch...statwise Peyton may have struggled early in his career as well but he always had "it", even when he performed poorly.

No doubt, there is and was a difference in stature between the two, poor comparison on my part.

JP is more of a Favre type. Does anyone remember how crappy Brett was for Tampa? Thats JP to me in a nutshell. I honestly think we should see through the team problems and identify whether he is a winner or not, to me I still see alot of a winners attitude. I dont want to be Tampa and assume he wont be our guy only to watch him light it up for another team.

He has struggled, but he also has shown plenty too. Its not a finsihed product, its in the rough and needs polishing.

But, If hes going to endlessly look mediocre, we cant wait forever, screw him and move on.

But the thought of drafting our next QB, and waiting another 3 years until we are worth a crap just blows to me. It may be what we have to do, but it flat out blows. I almost wish for major upgrades in other areas so we dont have to go through that.

ublinkwescore
10-15-2006, 09:14 PM

QB is a position that no matter how good you are, no matter how experienced you are, you're gonna make mistakes, and you are gonna have bad games. Last week, no aspect of the team showed up. This week, JP was one of the few bright spots - yeah, he needs to learn to hold on to the ball and get some sort of ESP about what the pocket's doing around him, but our defense is plain wack, and our players are dropping like flies.

once again, I can bring up the "Buffalo to L.A." conspiracy after the whitner INT got ruled incomplete.

I also think McNally's jury is gonna delay it's verdict for one more year after Levy gets him some talent to work with.

ublinkwescore
10-15-2006, 09:18 PM
No doubt, there is and was a difference in stature between the two, poor comparison on my part.

JP is more of a Favre type. Does anyone remember how crappy Brett was for Tampa? Thats JP to me in a nutshell. I honestly think we should see through the team problems and identify whether he is a winner or not, to me I still see alot of a winners attitude. I dont want to be Tampa and assume he wont be our guy only to watch him light it up for another team.

He has struggled, but he also has shown plenty too. Its not a finsihed product, its in the rough and needs polishing.

But, If hes going to endlessly look mediocre, we cant wait forever, screw him and move on.

But the thought of drafting our next QB, and waiting another 3 years until we are worth a crap just blows to me. It may be what we have to do, but it flat out blows. I almost wish for major upgrades in other areas so we dont have to go through that.

You mean Atlanta - Brett Favre played for Atlanta, and was traded to Green Bay by the crappy Jerry Glanville for I think a 2nd or 3rd round pick... Steve Young played for Tampa Bay, and I don't recall if he sucked there or not... that was well before I started following football.

ublinkwescore
10-15-2006, 09:23 PM
I bet you anything, if JP has a team like Ben had in his first year with the steelers, we'd be almost undefeated right now - I can't say for sure how the Bears game would have gone (though the Steelers did beat the Bears last year to stay alive for the final wild card spot - in a game that had playoff implications for both teams)... If our O line protects like the Steelers line did those two years, and if Evans and Reed or Parrish or Davis or Price get open as often as Ward, Randle-el and who ever else was on the Steelers roster two years ago, JP makes TD look like the Genius that Bill Cowher looked like - I have no doubt in my mind... JP is definitely doing better than Roethlisberger overall this year - no one can argue that - it was the team surrounding him that made Roethlisberger look slightly above average to good.

Typ0
10-15-2006, 09:30 PM
I could care less if the arguement is JP Losman would be doing fine if he had the best team in the history of the NFL around him. That's a load of crap. JP Losman is responsible for JP Losman not the rest of the team. Unfortunately he plays a position it's very hard to separate but he's just not getting his game together as a QB IMO and I'm not going to hang that on a crappy team around him.

We have been waiting too long already. It's sick to think we may have not drafted the QB we could have had in the last draft...and are going to be relegated to drafting a QB in this much weaker QB draft or picking up Plummer or Cullpepper in the offseason. If we had Leinhart at least we'd have that hope just in case JP does not get it together...and I'm in no way saying JP is a bust at this point but I really question if and when he's really going to get the game going right in his head. Right now, I fear he's going to continue to regress because he's weak.

PECKERWOOD
10-15-2006, 09:35 PM
I still think he is our guy for the future. I'm not only willing to give him this season to prove it, I'm willing to start him next season also. Please, remember that this is his first year in Fairchild's system, and he had bum coaches before that. Obviously, he needs improvement, which I have seen. He doesnt really toss too many interceptions from what I have seen. Before the Bear's game, he had like 3 td's and 1 int. People, just need to realize, that his OL is average at best. Evans is the only reciever getting open on a consistent basis. With a better Left Tackle and a better Right Guard, he would be a much better QB than you see today. Give it time and patience people, JP will come through for us.

Ron Burgundy
10-15-2006, 09:36 PM
You mean Atlanta - Brett Favre played for Atlanta, and was traded to Green Bay by the crappy Jerry Glanville for I think a 2nd or 3rd round pick... Steve Young played for Tampa Bay, and I don't recall if he sucked there or not... that was well before I started following football.
Favre had four attempts in Atlanta. It's a completely invalid comparison.

mybills
10-15-2006, 09:43 PM
I still think he is our guy for the future. I'm not only willing to give him this season to prove it, I'm willing to start him next season also. Please, remember that this is his first year in Fairchild's system, and he had bum coaches before that. Obviously, he needs improvement, which I have seen. He doesnt really toss too many interceptions from what I have seen. Before the Bear's game, he had like 3 td's and 1 int. People, just need to realize, that his OL is average at best. Evans is the only reciever getting open on a consistent basis. With a better Left Tackle and a better Right Guard, he would be a much better QB than you see today. Give it time and patience people, JP will come through for us.
:bf1:

Inetpub
10-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Although given the a godly arm and speed, JP Losman is very capable of leading an NFL team. Im not a supporter of JP Losman though. I cant see how someone like him constantly makes silly errors? Its not even the silliness of the errors but the consistency of the errors. You can make some errors but game after game he finds a way to make them.

My feelings are you can teach him to play the game better but you also cant really teach his judgement. He makes bad calls too often to ignore and every single time someone blames it on the OL, its just blah blah excuses I hear. JP Losman is responsible for himself. Everyone on the OL is responsible to do thier job. If they cant do thier job, find someone that can! Same goes with any player on the team. Same goes for JP.

billsburgh
10-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Well if that's the case, we need 53 new players becausde nobody is producing. Was there anyone who really played well today?

SABURZFAN
10-16-2006, 12:29 AM
i bet he bolts after his contract is up.

Inetpub
10-16-2006, 01:37 AM
i bet he bolts after his contract is up.

LOL. That is 1 awesome description for what JP's future is gonna be like!

SABURZFAN
10-16-2006, 01:55 AM
LOL. That is 1 awesome description for what JP's future is gonna be like!

when gandy has his back,do you blame him?

BillsFever21
10-16-2006, 03:03 AM
He had a bad start to the game but he came on in the 2nd half.

He has the ability to be a great player for a lot of years. Till we can get somebody who can actually block on this line, a real coaching staff and somebody better then a bunch of 3rd level WR's(outside of Evans) he will never become the QB here that he's capable of. Nobody could.

BillsFever21
10-16-2006, 03:17 AM
The INT by Losman was bad. He read Evans all the way.

The fumble was another blindside hit the moment he set up to pass. Gandy got schooled.

A QB expects and relies on that block to be made. You should expect that as soon as you drop back to pass that you won't be blindsided and your LT will at least hold him for a couple seconds and not just run right by him without slowing him down.

I'm actually encouraged about how JP bounced back after the beating he took early on. After a bad 1st half he played very well the rest of the way. He hit 9 of 10 passes at one point and finished the game with 2 TD's and over 200 yards. Not to mention the couple times when he had no blocking again and ran all over the place to pick up the first down. The 3rd and 2 run he made was amazing.

This is a terribly coached team with a pathetic OL. That spells disaster from time to time.

When you have horrible playcalling for most of the game, an OL that can't block for the QB or your RB and it leads to some TO's and nowhere to run like Willis has seen for almost every game except for the Jets game.

There has only been 1 game that Willis has averaged over 4ypc and/or had over 100 yards. Both was in the Jets game who has a terrible defense.

Any QB(especially one with 13 games under his belt) are gonna have some bad moments on a team with a career failure at HC, a first time OC calling his own plays and an OL that can't get out of his own way.

After a bad start he finished great and had a respectable game on the road with 223 total yards and 2 TD's.

He wasn't the reason why we lost this game. He had some bad moments but also some good moments. He was about the only one out there playing with heart and made any plays.

Till we get some real coaches, an OL that isn't continually one of the worst in the league and somebody next to Lee Evans that is any better then a #3 WR we're not gonna win many games.

The_Philster
10-16-2006, 04:32 AM
To be honest, Id like to see a category thats entitled, "Im drawing no conclusions till the seasons over". I think theres plenty of us that feel that way.
other than the first and last option, no decisions are being made...but as the season goes on, he's giving us indicators of how he's progressing

Jan Reimers
10-16-2006, 06:26 AM
I still love JP's athleticism and great arm, and I want to see him start the remainder of the season. But I now give it about a 50/50 chance that he will ever develop the mentality - the poise, presence, leadership and demeanor - to be a top knotch QB in this league.

I look around at some of the other young QBs who seem to be maturing and developing week to week, and I just don't see it right now in JP. He seems to make the same stupid mistakes game after game, and it's wearing on me a little.

ddaryl
10-16-2006, 06:44 AM
I have confidence and doubts. We're still plagued with OL problems, but JP also has trouble seeing the field consistently.

Typ0
10-16-2006, 07:55 AM
He has the ability to be a great player for a lot of years.

he has the skills to be a great player...whether or not he has the ability is really in question. He has yet to show he has the mentality to be successful.

Michael82
10-17-2006, 09:14 AM
That's the side I'm on. :up:

the REAL Rudeman
10-17-2006, 09:23 AM
I can't believe 20 people said he's the man of the future. In what regard? Water boy?

X-Era
10-17-2006, 08:32 PM
I could care less if the arguement is JP Losman would be doing fine if he had the best team in the history of the NFL around him. That's a load of crap. JP Losman is responsible for JP Losman not the rest of the team. Unfortunately he plays a position it's very hard to separate but he's just not getting his game together as a QB IMO and I'm not going to hang that on a crappy team around him.

We have been waiting too long already. It's sick to think we may have not drafted the QB we could have had in the last draft...and are going to be relegated to drafting a QB in this much weaker QB draft or picking up Plummer or Cullpepper in the offseason. If we had Leinhart at least we'd have that hope just in case JP does not get it together...and I'm in no way saying JP is a bust at this point but I really question if and when he's really going to get the game going right in his head. Right now, I fear he's going to continue to regress because he's weak.

No one thought for a minute that we would draft Leinhart AND keep JP. Spend 2 1st rounders on QB with a 5 and 11 team?

Lets not forget that before training camp many were clamoring for KH to start. So we would have had 3 potential starters and 2 1st round draft picks tied up in one position?

alohabillsfan
10-18-2006, 08:55 AM
I cannot believe you people, stop comparing him to Leinart, Leinart played with a pro style offense at USC, JP played shotgun offense at Tulane. Are you people really telling us that JP has not improved thbis year? If so, please rewind and look at last years tapes, believe me I remember last year and after some dredful performances by JP and the fact he was regressing the hook happened, I for one after 5 games at no point even considered going to KH. This "team" is losing games not just QB play.

billsfairweatherfan
10-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Where do you stand on him so far...especially after the last two weeks? Have the last two weeks made you give up on him....or start to doubt him...or what? he is no rookie and when he was it looks like he learned sh##.it time to move on and draft a qb:bandwagon

justasportsfan
10-18-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm still cautiously optimistic.

ublinkwescore
10-19-2006, 11:14 AM

JP could very well have the highest ceiling of all the young QBs in the league - he was the fastest QB I believe in his draft class, and he had the strongest arm. I say we give him the benefit of the doubt because we'd look truely ******ed if we gave up on him and he did reach his cieling with another team. That ceiling may very well compensate for having even a mediocre team around him - unfortunately, he doesn't even have that right now.

I say we ride him until he tops out. If he tops out at the mediocrity he's at right now - then I say it's time to look in another direction. Marv better go after some premiere Oline help this offseason - if he doesn't, I will be totally convinced that there is truely a conspiracy somewhere to get the Bills out of Buffalo, and Marv is a puppet on a string.

Novacane
10-22-2006, 02:41 PM
Change my vote to bust.