PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding, improvement, and disappointment

OpIv37
10-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Ok, so most of us knew going in that we weren't going to make the playoffs this year- it's a rebuilding year with a new coach and a new GM, so we're looking for improvement.

After six games, where have we improved over last year? Where have we regressed? What remains unsettled?

Improvements-
Safety- Our two rookies still make some rookie mistakes (especially Simpson) but both Simpson and Whitner are proving themselves to be gamers. They both basically started since Day 1 and they've both made plays. These guys are the future and we're much better off without Vincent and Malloy (side note: I have a lot of respect for Vincent but age caught up with him).

RB- Willis still needs to give 100% more consistently, but he's proven that he can play and even responded to criticism about his pass blocking. I wouldn't like A-Train as a starter, but he's a solid back-up who is good enough to make the D continue to play run when he comes off the bench.

#1 WR- Lee Evans is the real deal.

Unsettled-
Coaching- it's not as incompetent or outrageous as Mularkey and his staff, but the O is too predictable and the D can't get off the field. And there have been some stupid decisions. I'll withhold judgement til the end of the season, but so far I'm not impressed.

#2 and 3 WR- Parrish, Price or Davis need to STEP UP. So far no one has emerged as a legit threat behind Evans.

QB- It's always 1 step forward, two steps back with JP. He does impressive things (like the TD pass to Parrish today), but then he's not consistent and still makes rookie mistakes.

LB's- Crowell has made some plays, and Ellison held his own starting as a rookie. TKO hasn't been able to stay on the field and has looked human when he was on the field (it kills me to say that). Fletcher is solid but age is catching up with him and he's not a playmaker. Conclusion: while we have some good young LB's, we don't really have a playmaker at the LB spot anymore.

Regressed/Stayed the same:
TE- Royal is useless. Neufeld is the same as he's always been. Is Kevin Everett even on the roster.

DL- despite 3 new players, this unit has been a complete disappointment. They can't stop the run and the pass rush is inconsistent.

CB- Clements continues to prove he's not worth his contract. McGee seems to have lost his confidence after a bad game or two. Youboty has yet to step up. Thomas is a decent nickelback but not starting material.

OL- Peters has struggled a little. Villarial can't stay on the field and doesn't impress when he is on the field. Reyes and Fowler are mild improvements but not quite good enough. Gandy blows and LT needs to be a priority in the offseason.

ST- while not being a liability, this unit just isn't as dominant as it was in 04 or 05. To be fair, though, Moorman has been impressive and Lindell has really stepped it up. I was calling for his head after 04 but he's completely proven me wrong and is an asset to this team.

Conlusion: we're 6 games into a 16 game season and the improvements have been mild at best. The good news is we have 10 games to sort it out. The bad news is that there's a hell of a lot of work to do, and this team is going to have to make a lot of tough decisions in the off-season.

X-Era
10-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Ok, so most of us knew going in that we weren't going to make the playoffs this year- it's a rebuilding year with a new coach and a new GM, so we're looking for improvement.

After six games, where have we improved over last year? Where have we regressed? What remains unsettled?

Improvements-
Safety- Our two rookies still make some rookie mistakes (especially Simpson) but both Simpson and Whitner are proving themselves to be gamers. They both basically started since Day 1 and they've both made plays. These guys are the future and we're much better off without Vincent and Malloy (side note: I have a lot of respect for Vincent but age caught up with him).

RB- Willis still needs to give 100% more consistently, but he's proven that he can play and even responded to criticism about his pass blocking. I wouldn't like A-Train as a starter, but he's a solid back-up who is good enough to make the D continue to play run when he comes off the bench.

#1 WR- Lee Evans is the real deal.

Unsettled-
Coaching- it's not as incompetent or outrageous as Mularkey and his staff, but the O is too predictable and the D can't get off the field. And there have been some stupid decisions. I'll withhold judgement til the end of the season, but so far I'm not impressed.

#2 and 3 WR- Parrish, Price or Davis need to STEP UP. So far no one has emerged as a legit threat behind Evans.

QB- It's always 1 step forward, two steps back with JP. He does impressive things (like the TD pass to Parrish today), but then he's not consistent and still makes rookie mistakes.

LB's- Crowell has made some plays, and Ellison held his own starting as a rookie. TKO hasn't been able to stay on the field and has looked human when he was on the field (it kills me to say that). Fletcher is solid but age is catching up with him and he's not a playmaker. Conclusion: while we have some good young LB's, we don't really have a playmaker at the LB spot anymore.

Regressed/Stayed the same:
TE- Royal is useless. Neufeld is the same as he's always been. Is Kevin Everett even on the roster.

DL- despite 3 new players, this unit has been a complete disappointment. They can't stop the run and the pass rush is inconsistent.

CB- Clements continues to prove he's not worth his contract. McGee seems to have lost his confidence after a bad game or two. Youboty has yet to step up. Thomas is a decent nickelback but not starting material.

OL- Peters has struggled a little. Villarial can't stay on the field and doesn't impress when he is on the field. Reyes and Fowler are mild improvements but not quite good enough. Gandy blows and LT needs to be a priority in the offseason.

ST- while not being a liability, this unit just isn't as dominant as it was in 04 or 05. To be fair, though, Moorman has been impressive and Lindell has really stepped it up. I was calling for his head after 04 but he's completely proven me wrong and is an asset to this team.

Conlusion: we're 6 games into a 16 game season and the improvements have been mild at best. The good news is we have 10 games to sort it out. The bad news is that there's a hell of a lot of work to do, and this team is going to have to make a lot of tough decisions in the off-season.

Agree we are ALL of those things.

Heres my list:

Rebuilding:

Secondary- you cant start 2 rookies at S and say your not rebuilding, thats an oxymoron.

Improvement:

QB- JP has been much better than last year period. You can talk about this play, that play, last game, theres plenty of mistakes. But he also threw for 200+ yards and 2 TD's and that would be one of KH's BETTER games based on last year. Hes a better player this year and its a improvement. Thats said, he MUST continue to show improvement to be all we need, hes not there yet.

Disappointment:

Our supposed stars:

TKO- Didnt have a star quality game, and hasnt remained injury free enough. Its not like Im blaming him personally, but if were gonna pay that much, we need that guy to e playing at a stars level every week.

McGahee- Cant argue with the games that he shows up for, but those are getting fewer and fewer. If your a star, you play like one even when you have excuses not to.

Clements- We wont get squat for him in a trade because EVERYONE knows we will release him. He isnt anything special and unfortunately you might as well add starting CB to the list of needs now cause hes gone.

HHURRICANE
10-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Great post OP!!!! 2 things:

1) Josh Reed has been a total stud!!

2) I've seen Moorman short some punts when we really needed one of his 65 yarders. He's not always clutch when the pressure is on.

OpIv37
10-15-2006, 09:19 PM
Great post OP!!!! 2 things:

2) I've seen Moorman short some punts when we really needed one of his 65 yarders. He's not always clutch when the pressure is on.

good points.

Reed has really come through at times this season and he seems to be better than last year. He just isn't a consistent #2 to compliment Evans and take some pressure off.

Moorman has had some really good games (like today) and some bad ones (the Jets game). Overall, though, he's still solid.

tonyc37
10-15-2006, 09:25 PM
The main reason we're not winning games is because the o and d lines have not been a priority.We have potenial at the skilled positions but are unable to utilize it because of our o-line,but thats what happens when you sign guys like Gandy and Fowler to be starters.They were backups with their other teams for a reason their not good enough to start and thats not going to change anytime soon.Marv should be held accountable.Hew took McCargo instead of Marcus McNeil and we see how thats working out.

OpIv37
10-15-2006, 09:28 PM
The main reason we're not winning games is because the o and d lines have not been a priority.We have potenial at the skilled positions but are unable to utilize it because of our o-line,but thats what happens when you sign guys like Gandy and Fowler to be starters.They were backups with their other teams for a reason their not good enough to start and thats not going to change anytime soon.Marv should be held accountable.Hew took McCargo instead of Marcus McNeil and we see how thats working out.

I agree that the biggest problem is the lines and that they haven't received sufficient attention.

Since this season is supposed to be about improvement, I was trying to figure out where we've improved and where we haven't.

So far, I'm less than impressed.

TacklingDummy
10-15-2006, 09:29 PM

Sarcasm?