PDA

View Full Version : Why was McGee Covering Williams?

Bulldog
10-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Why was McGee covering Williams all day long? Where was "the playmaker" Nate Clements? It was evident very early in the game that McGee was going to struggle trying to cover Williams and Buffalo's defensive brain trust failed to adjust the game plan. I just don't see the point in paying Clements all that money to cover the number two WR. Hell, the Lions could have thrown the ball to Williams every play if they wanted to. I'm so sick of seeing players have career days against this defense I could puke. It had been 22 games since the Lions had a 100 yard rusher, that is until they played the Bills yesterday. And that was with three of the Lions o-lineman out due to injury. Pathetic!

ICE74129
10-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Clements sucks and isn't putting forth an effort. Which is why he is on the trade block

TacklingDummy
10-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Why was McGee covering Williams all day long? Where was "the playmaker" Nate Clements?

I've asked the same question all during the game yesterday.

We know where Nate was, he was covering his reciever, that's why we didn't see him.

patmoran2006
10-16-2006, 10:18 AM
I have been wondering the same thing.. Detroit was so predictable in their passing game I'm baffled while Fewel didnt just have Clements find Williams on every play and line up against him.

Its either bad coaching, or something really funny is going on none of us know about with nate.

OpIv37
10-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Nate got beat by Williams once early in the game. I have to wonder if that made the coaches decide to put McGee on him instead.

Bulldog
10-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Nate got beat by Williams once early in the game. I have to wonder if that made the coaches decide to put McGee on him instead.

And McGee got beat like a drum on every pass play there after. If they are going to pay Clements all that money, then why not let him earn it. One of two things is going to happen. Either he's going to justify his contract demands and shut Williams down, or he too is going to get smoked and make the decision on weather or not to resign him that much easier.

BAM
10-16-2006, 11:10 AM
I saw Nate being beat by Williams a couple times too...

Nobody could cover him.

PECKERWOOD
10-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Most teams have left corner backs and right corner backs. It's not uncommon to keep your best CB on one side. With that said, McGee made a couple big plays against Williams also. Our secondary did a realllllly good job, considering the fact that our DL couldnt get pressure on kitna, even with 3/5 of Detroits OL being backups.

BAM
10-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Amongst his toastings, McGee probably should've had 2 picks yesterday...

Jeff1220
10-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Maybe they didn't want Clements to get toasted through an entire game right before the trade deadline, lowering his value?

OpIv37
10-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Amongst his toastings, McGee probably should've had 2 picks yesterday...

there was at least one that hit him right in the chest and he dropped it. Williams had a step on him on that play too- Kitna just missed the throw.

madness
10-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Most teams have left corner backs and right corner backs. It's not uncommon to keep your best CB on one side. With that said, McGee made a couple big plays against Williams also. Our secondary did a realllllly good job, considering the fact that our DL couldn't get pressure on kitna, even with 3/5 of Detroits OL being backups.

Great post. :up:

Roy Williams is a beast, 99% of the DB's in the league would have trouble covering him. Martz did a great job moving him around to manipulate our zone coverage and McGee did a decent job considering the size disadvantage. McGee also had a definite pick if Roy didn't instantly convert himself into a DB on one play.

Once again people are getting caught up in just looking at the W-L column. Detroit is a good team that lost to some very good teams and lost a shootout to GB when Farve's O-line came through for once and gave him the time he needed to shred a defense. Detroit's D also improved drastically as of late after DC Henderson simplified his scheme once he noticed players struggling with the current playbook.

Yes, it's a game we could have and perhaps should have won but we can't lose focus on what this team really is. A very young team with both new offensive and defensive schemes struggling to find their own identity. We should have known there would be a lot of ups and downs this season. What's important is that we have a very good coaching staff to help teach these youngings how to learn from and overcome the downs part. To say we suck and that the season is lost at this point is downright ignorant so enjoy your bliss while you still have it.

Kerr
10-16-2006, 12:22 PM
If none of our corners could cover Williams(Nate should be able to if he's "the playmaker"), they should have doubled teamed him. Nobody else on that receiving core was much of a threat, but no, they left him one on one most of the time. Back to nate, I don't think champ bailey, who's a better corner, would have or has had any trouble with Roy Williams.