PDA

View Full Version : ESPN has just reported...

Drewpac
02-26-2003, 05:20 PM
that Tom Donohue has contacted and begun talks with Atlanta about a possible Peerless Price trade! Also, they just announced that Rocket Ismail has been released by the Cowboys. If Price leaves, Ismail could potentially fill the speed receiver role and would probably come at a cheap price.

Brian H
02-26-2003, 05:26 PM
Question is would we want someone who is slightly injury prone like Ishmail??

RedEyE
02-26-2003, 05:27 PM
As I said in an earlier thread: Atlanta may be easily manipulated since they are currently without a GM. However, Dan Reeves will probably wait until draft day to see what WRs are available before considering trading away any picks to Buffalo for Price. The WR draft group is decent this year and Reeves loves to "grow" players.

EDS
02-26-2003, 05:32 PM
If Atlanta needs a receiver that bad, a trade for their first rounder makes a lot of sense for both teams. Reason being that by the time Atlanta picks in the first round, the sure fire can't miss types like C. Rogers, A. Johnson and possibly K. Washington will be gone. Thus, Price is their best bet. Works for us because we have a shot at a DT.

Brian H
02-26-2003, 05:33 PM
I wouldnt trade Price for a number 1 there pick is so far away in the first round....

Ebenezer
02-26-2003, 05:37 PM
I don't want Ismail unless he came in for the vet minimum and no bonus...But a trade will make me more than happy.

Drewpac
02-26-2003, 05:38 PM
I think we should take any trade that gets us a first rounder for Price. It's better than getting nothing for him and it also frees up money to sign defensive free agents.

Tatonka
02-26-2003, 05:47 PM
frees up money that we will put back into a draft pick.. i am starting to think i would like to see pp sign a long term deal. but looks like the tag and trade is getting closer.

Ebenezer
02-26-2003, 05:49 PM
if it is true that PP is ready to sign the tender then i would bet that this means a sign and trade is very close!!!!

Romes
02-26-2003, 06:02 PM
Both Raghib and Qadry Ismael were released today. I confuse the two. Would we possibly want one of them as a 3rd receiver?

Jeff1220
02-26-2003, 07:05 PM
I think Q.Ismail would be a good #2 if GW and Co. want to give Reed a little more time to develop. So, yes, he'd be a good #3.

WG
02-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Good points Romes! Reed would step into #2 and this would be for a third/fourth WR.

Originally posted by Brian H
I wouldnt trade Price for a number 1 there pick is so far away in the first round....

As well, good points H; to some people however having a first round pick very late in the first vice an early 2nd round pick and possibly another later on is more important. I don't think our greatest need, a DT, not a starter-ready one will be available late in the first. OLBs may be. But as Intar said, there may be a big gap between early first and late-second/early-third OLBs.

I highly doubt we'd get a first anyway. If we do, it will be like Atlanta's late-round first. It'd be interesting to see how Price does down in Atlanta this season w/ him as the only real WR on that team however.

Tatonka
02-26-2003, 08:51 PM
told u so wys :D

td is the man.. i know you felt that tagging price was a bad idea.. but trust the man with the master plan

WG
02-26-2003, 08:58 PM
I think it's a bad idea if as reported now, that Price is gonna sign the offer sheet. See that thread.

TD, at least IMO, isn't using his noodle in this thing if Price signs that sheet and TD doesn't have a plan to unload him. One of two things will happen; either we won't get nearly for Price what we thought we would in trade, or we'll end up signing him for this season. Either one is a mistake.

If we end up getting less, it'll likely mean that we've waited out a good chunk of FAcy in order to trade him. The opportunity cost of having waited so long will have to be reckoned in there somewhere. I know that's something that many around here seem to discount, but it's a huge factor, especially in an offseason such as this one w/ so many holes to fill on D.

If Price ends up playing, then there's no way we have the caliber of D on the field this year that will help us win a championship. We absolutely need a very, very good DT and a very, very good OLB. That won't happen if Price takes up $5M of our cap.

The jury's still out. I haven't thrown in the towel, but I gotta tell ya, TD's walking a tightrope here!

justasportsfan
02-26-2003, 09:17 PM
WYS, you will eat crow with the feathers intact!!!! TD will not screw this up. He will make an even trade ,Price to Atlanta for Michael Vick and their 1st rd.

Mark my words!!!

Buffarama
02-26-2003, 09:29 PM
If we lose Price we better be bent on jacking up the defense. Douglas and Spikes, or something equivalent.

Michael82
02-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Agreed Buffarama! If we lose Price...I want to see Tom Donahoe AGGRESSIVELY pursue Takeo Spikes with all that cap money that we will have, and the other top linebackers, plus a big name DT and/or possibly Douglas.

Ebenezer
02-27-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Agreed Buffarama! If we lose Price...I want to see Tom Donahoe AGGRESSIVELY pursue Takeo Spikes with all that cap money that we will have, and the other top linebackers, plus a big name DT and/or possibly Douglas.

To lure Spikes away from Cincy and ensure that Cincy does not match the offer a team would have to offer Spikes some significant money upfront...the type around a $6 or $7 million cap hit (with bonus of course)...there is no way TD or any other GM does that...we will not sign Spikes unless there is nobody out there.

justasportsfan
02-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Just offer him a $1 more and all the wings he can eat. Who can refuse that?

WG
02-27-2003, 11:54 AM
Spikes is gonna be overpriced. We should go after a Peterson or one of the other slightly lesser touted LBs. Besides, Spikes is a FT player. We're not giving up 2 first rounders for him.

Same w/ DEs, we should go after the Sciolis of the world. Not the Douglases or Gardeners who will also be overpriced.

ct bills fan
02-27-2003, 12:15 PM
Spikes is a transition free agent - if we offered him a contract that Cincinatti didn't match, they wouldn't get any draft picks from us.

Bert102176
02-27-2003, 12:52 PM
for get them if Price leaves we need to get Martay Jenkins he is a fast WR and he is a very good return man. 2 holes filled for the price of 1.

clumping platelets
02-27-2003, 12:57 PM
Why not trade Peerless to Atlanta and then use the #1 from Atlanta to acquire Spikes? I'm sure he would be thrilled to get out of Cincy, that he would sign for a bit less

Brooking: 7yrs-$41million(sb 10.5 million) that just under $6 million/yr

That's the going rate

Tatonka
02-27-2003, 01:03 PM
i dont want spikes that much cp... use our first rounder for a good player and sign a LB (one of the 5 good ones that DONT have a tag on them) in FA