PDA

View Full Version : Will it get better come the off-season?

kernowboy
10-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Demonstrating an ability so lacking that you wouldn't let them run a bath, let alone a football team, the Wilson/Levy/Jauron management team have, to date, managed to draft a number of players who, it could be argued, weren't in positions of extreme urgency, had a dreadful performance in free agency and now are demonstrating coaching tactics on a par with the Donahue/Williams/Mularky era. We now even give up a draft pick for a 'character' player who's just be suspended by his former team, suggesting senility might have set in.

Err, don't we need a tackle/widebody/lump who can stop everybody running right over the top of us.

This is on top of signing in free agency an invisble man at Defensive Tackle (Tripplett), a tight end who can't seem to block or catch (Royal), the only lineman dumped from a successful line (Reyes), a centre trying to play for every team in the NFL (Fowler), and with one of the few bright decisions they've made, giving Losman a proper chance, retained the turnstyle covering his back (Gandy)

In light of these shocking developments, who should we ought to try to sign in next years Free Agency and Draft and what herd of goats do you all think we'll end up with instead?

YardRat
10-16-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm hoping it gets better next week.

eyedog
10-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Can't say it much clearer than that. Whitner is a nice player but he won't stop the run between the tackles or cover our qb's blind side.

kernowboy
10-16-2006, 02:54 PM
I think we'll be in the top 10 of next years draft so I would look to trade down to get a tight end like Olsen or Miller and with the extra pick get two OL in R2, players like Doug Free and/or Joe Staley, maybe even Josh Beekman? In the 3rd pray that Dan Bazuin is still there as I think Denney might be a Dophins killer and nothing else. Ellison and Crowell show we can pick up a LB later, Cory Anderson will still be around as Shelton's replacement.

On the defence line I think we need to give up the Tampa 2 idea .... get some loads in the middle from free agency or from the bargain bucket and given the incentive based contracts i.e. you lose money for giving up 100yds. I think there are enough hungry wide bodies out there.

Take the pain of a cap hit and clear out the c**p (Triplett, Royal etc). As for QB, lets wait til 2008 and take care of the 'dirty business first' the lines. Then in 2008 our new QB can have a Big Ben type season

patmoran2006
10-16-2006, 03:09 PM
I dont think we need to give up on the Tampa Two defense.. I actually like it.. The problem is Marv failed to sign/draft a player at the important DT that can make it effective. Doesnt matter what style you play if you dont have DT(s) capable of blowing up plays and getting after the QB it wont work.

For the record, six games running now without a single sack from our DT's, let alone a forced fumble. That's getting comical.

I think Marv attempted to address DT in the draft by trading up for McCargo, but either he and/or Modrak and the scouting department totally overestimated the type of player he is. 2nd or 3rd rounder he was worth but not a first. Marv should've drafted Nick Mangold with that pick and if you got a couple of drinks in him right now he'd probably admit it.

Had the club signed Ryan Pickett when he was a FA and stuck him next to Tripplett the DL would've been much better. Tripplett has proven he's nothing without a Brock or Freeney next to him, and its showing more each week.. F'n Duke Preston had more tackles than him Sunday.

As for DE, Schobel is adequate to play in any defense, but the other side isnt good enough.. Denney and Kelsay either record a sack or get blown 10 yards off the line of scrimmage; there is no in between.

You get a legitimate DT in here and an upgrade at DE and the rest of the back seven will be much better. Until then, this defense is going to be putrid and you cant disguise having a ****ty line, especially up the middle.

kernowboy
10-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Pickett hasn't done too much so far. Maybe Hartnell in the draft. At least he plays injured. I'm not going to get down on McCago as he might still come good but Tripplett has been a waste of a roster place.

Its a pity we don't have a massive number of pics in the draft. I think maybe move Peters inside, get Butler as a grinder on the right, Free or Staley on the left ... we'll have to stick with Fowler for the mo or maybe pic up a right guard and start Preston in the centre.

I agree about the DE and I think his name is Dan Bazuin. I think with Crowell, Ellison and hopefully still Fletcher we are set at LB. We need to get a TE to give JP a get out of jail card. Hopefully we can manoever to get Olsen. Out last draft pic ... lets go to the Vols again for their FB

HHURRICANE
10-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Ngata. Should have taken Ngata!!!