PDA

View Full Version : So who do we draft next year then?

kernowboy
10-17-2006, 08:44 AM
I think we can all agree that we are unlikely to make the playoffs and at best hope for respectability.

Free Agency in 2007 is looking very barren with few top FAs available such as Matt Schaub (who's restricted anyway) Eric Steinbach and Daniel Graham. Assuming we can't rely on players getting cut or released we will need to focus on next years draft.

Looking at the options, I reckon we could be between 5-10.

Do we pick a QB? No ... because we can't upgrade sufficiently in Free Agency to protect him. The only way I see this happening is if a Tackle drops enough we can take him in the high 2nd round.

The two options I see are:

Sign Graham at TE and draft

R1. Quinn, Brohm or Stanton
R2. Doug Free or Joe Staley
R3. Hope to get a DE like Dan Bazuin
R4 (or with R3 compensation pick) Justin Hartnell or like at DT and cut Tripplett

OR

miss out on Graham and:

R1. trade down for Greg Olsen or Zach Miller
R2. Free or Staley
R2/3 extra pick a 2nd OL
R3. Bazuin or similar
and Hartnell or similar

My thinking? Well whoever we have at QB needs a Tight end weapon our version of Todd Heap and/or Heath Miller. We need to take advantage of the depth at tackle including Joe Thomas, Levi Brown, Ryan Harris, Doug Free, Joe Staley, Arron Sears, Justin Blaylock, Mike Otto etc. We don't need our Tackle to be the first pick. And I would be more comfortale getting a great line in place and then going for a new QB in 2008 IF Losman has not shown the level of improvement that he has shown from 2005 to 2006.

ICE74129
10-17-2006, 08:50 AM
We had better move the hell up regardless of the cost and take the best LT available if we dont' address LT in FA

WXP
10-17-2006, 08:51 AM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nfl/2005/1109/photo/a_smith_195.jpg

kernowboy
10-17-2006, 09:01 AM
There really is no-one available on the left next year in free agency unless we do a draft busting deal like the Broncos did with the Vikings a decade ago for Zimmerman. I've had a quick look and unless there are salary cap cuts it looks desperate on the line, both of them

Ice74129, I think with such OL depth we could actually get a couple of good OL in the 2nd and 3rd who could do a Khaliff Barnes, Matt Light, Marvel Smith for us and save the No1 for a tight end or maybe even Paul Posluzny to replace TKO. Looking at the defensive line, I would feel better about getting footballers not athletes. I think Bazuin could be Hansen reincarnated ... he knows where the QB is and if Harrell can play against Florida with a torn biceps then that sort of commitment is good enough for me

eyedog
10-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Actually I would take Quinn, Henne, Brohm, and Booty before Smith. If they all entered the draft.

ICE74129
10-17-2006, 09:02 AM
There really is no-one available on the left next year in free agency unless we do a draft busting deal like the Broncos did with the Vikings a decade ago for Zimmerman. I've had a quick look and unless there are salary cap cuts it looks desperate on the line, both of them

Ice74129, I think with such OL depth we could actually get a couple of good OL in the 2nd and 3rd who could do a Khaliff Barnes, Matt Light, Marvel Smith for us and save the No1 for a tight end or maybe even Paul Posluzny to replace TKO. Looking at the defensive line, I would feel better about getting footballers not athletes. I think Bazuin could be Hansen reincarnated ... he knows where the QB is and if Harrell can play against Florida with a torn biceps then that sort of commitment is good enough for me

NO! No more lower round talent. Its past time to do what it takes to get THE top LT in the draft.

patmoran2006
10-17-2006, 09:05 AM
I think we can all agree that we are unlikely to make the playoffs and at best hope for respectability.

Free Agency in 2007 is looking very barren with few top FAs available such as Matt Schaub (who's restricted anyway) Eric Steinbach and Daniel Graham. Assuming we can't rely on players getting cut or released we will need to focus on next years draft.

Looking at the options, I reckon we could be between 5-10.

Do we pick a QB? No ... because we can't upgrade sufficiently in Free Agency to protect him. The only way I see this happening is if a Tackle drops enough we can take him in the high 2nd round.

The two options I see are:

Sign Graham at TE and draft

R1. Quinn, Brohm or Stanton
R2. Doug Free or Joe Staley
R3. Hope to get a DE like Dan Bazuin
R4 (or with R3 compensation pick) Justin Hartnell or like at DT and cut Tripplett

OR

miss out on Graham and:

R1. trade down for Greg Olsen or Zach Miller
R2. Free or Staley
R2/3 extra pick a 2nd OL
R3. Bazuin or similar
and Hartnell or similar

My thinking? Well whoever we have at QB needs a Tight end weapon our version of Todd Heap and/or Heath Miller. We need to take advantage of the depth at tackle including Joe Thomas, Levi Brown, Ryan Harris, Doug Free, Joe Staley, Arron Sears, Justin Blaylock, Mike Otto etc. We don't need our Tackle to be the first pick. And I would be more comfortale getting a great line in place and then going for a new QB in 2008 IF Losman has not shown the level of improvement that he has shown from 2005 to 2006.
I like your point about the QB. Im' not saying I totally agree with it. but you make a very good point.

kernowboy
10-17-2006, 09:05 AM
2nd round isn't that lower round

And with maybe 10 offensive linemen carrying possible 1st round grades some are bound to fall. Eric Winstrom and Charles Spencer would have really helped us this year and they fell to the third!!

Gunzlingr
10-17-2006, 09:16 AM
NO! No more lower round talent. Its past time to do what it takes to get THE top LT in the draft.

Like Mike Williams!! Or Tony Mandarich!

TacklingDummy
10-17-2006, 09:22 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colts Oline

RT: Ryan Diem; 4th rounder in 2001
RG: Jake Scott; 5th round in 2004
C: Jeff Saturday; Signed as FA on January 7, 1999…originally signed as FA with Baltimore on April 27, 1998…waived on June 12, 1998
LG: Ryan Lilja; Claimed off waivers from Kansas City on September 6, 2004…originally signed as FA by Kansas City on April 27, 2004…waived on September 5, 2004.
LT: Tarik Glenn: 19th pick in 1997

How about Denvers o line?

Matt Lepsis: Rookie FA
Ben Hamilton 4th round in 2001
C: Tom Nalen; 7th round in 1994
Cooper Carlisle: 4th round in 2000
George Foster: 20th pick in 2003

The people who want us to waste a high draft choice on a O-linemen are nuts. O-lines can be built with later round picks.