PDA

View Full Version : What's been Positive About Buffalo So Far

patmoran2006
10-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Since its so easy to be negative with the Bills going into the tank the past two weeks, I'd like to point out a few Bills that I think have been really good through the first six weeks.

* Ko Simpson- I think he's playing even better than Whitner. He always seems to be around the ball.

* Kyle Williams- About 16 million less than Tripplett, yet he has nearly double the amount of tackles, and he's played less, though thats about to change.

* Lee Evans- no doubt in my mind now he's a legit #1.

* Angelo Crowell- now I think he's the best LB on the team.

* Donte Whitner- We don't look like fools for taking him anymore, even with Leinart's coming out party last night. He may even be the most productive of the first 8 picks at this early stage, outside of Bush (and GOD is Houston stupid for passing on him).

* Josh Reed- Has shown a lot of heart and hasnt been plagued by the dropsies.

* Roscoe Parrish- I like the role he's playing. He's too small (well not small but weak) to be a starter but we're finding ways to utilize him.

* the Kicker and Punter- Sadly, they may be team co-MVP's right now.

What's good about my list, depending on how you look at it, is that there are three ROOKIES on it.. It shows we did well on draft day.

What's REALLY bad about this list is there isnt a SINGLE FREE AGENT we brought in on this list.. That's definitely not good.

Mr. Miyagi
10-17-2006, 11:27 AM
What's REALLY bad about this list is there isnt a SINGLE FREE AGENT we brought in on this list.. That's definitely not good.
Marv is better at developing from the draft anyway. We didn't spend that much money on street agents anyway. Plus resigning Josh Reed could be kinda considered as a free agent signing.

And Price has been pretty decent.

Jp7
10-17-2006, 11:27 AM
whats good is were not miami!

kernowboy
10-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Definitely agree

It may be the worse group of free agent signings by any team ever. I even wonder about the cost of cutting them all and bring in others on the minimum as anybody else cannot be as bad. I am not totally sold on Peters as the RT and would want to move him to the left, either tackle or guard where I see him at in the future. I want Duke Preston to play. I would like to see Butler at RT if only to see if he can play. By all reports he has the necessary streak of nasty. I want to see Youboty on the field as we all know Clements is leaving and playing poorly as well.

In fact how are we looking for Free Agency compensation picks in the 2007 draft? A 3rd round compensation pick for Clements would make his current level of performance slightly sweeter

PECKERWOOD
10-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Since its so easy to be negative with the Bills going into the tank the past two weeks, I'd like to point out a few Bills that I think have been really good through the first six weeks.

* Ko Simpson- I think he's playing even better than Whitner. He always seems to be around the ball.

* Kyle Williams- About 16 million less than Tripplett, yet he has nearly double the amount of tackles, and he's played less, though thats about to change.

* Lee Evans- no doubt in my mind now he's a legit #1.

* Angelo Crowell- now I think he's the best LB on the team.

* Donte Whitner- We don't look like fools for taking him anymore, even with Leinart's coming out party last night. He may even be the most productive of the first 8 picks at this early stage, outside of Bush (and GOD is Houston stupid for passing on him).

* Josh Reed- Has shown a lot of heart and hasnt been plagued by the dropsies.

* Roscoe Parrish- I like the role he's playing. He's too small (well not small but weak) to be a starter but we're finding ways to utilize him.

* the Kicker and Punter- Sadly, they may be team co-MVP's right now.

What's good about my list, depending on how you look at it, is that there are three ROOKIES on it.. It shows we did well on draft day.

Thank you so much, great post. Good to see some positive things. A few bright spots I see are:

a.) Whiter - Well worth our 1st round pick.
b.) Crowell - He is making some very huge plays for us.
c.) McGee - I've been happy with him this season.
d.) Lindell - Made a 50+ fg, never thought I would see that day.
e.) Evans - A true #1 WR, and a good one at that.
f.) McGahee - Good RB, I wish the line would open more holes for him though.
g.) Simpson - He is coming along alright, he seems a little slow sometimes though.
h.) Parrish - I thought he deserved to be cut before the season, boy, thank God I was wrong.

patmoran2006
10-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Marv is better at developing from the draft anyway. We didn't spend that much money on street agents anyway. Plus resigning Josh Reed could be kinda considered as a free agent signing.

And Price has been pretty decent.
I'll buy that.. I wanted Cutler but I wont dis this draft. The only pick I think that will turn out to not be worth the spot is McCargo, but if you get quality in the 4th round (Simpson) and 5th (Williams) that MORE than makes up for one mistake.. Anyone who blasts this draft cause of one bad pick is insane, you cant win them all.

But honestly, how long do you see marv running this team? In all due respect, the dude is 80 years old..

If I'm the Bills, I throw everything but the kitchen sink to land Dwight Freeney when he hits the market.. He instantly makes the front seven better.. There are two TE's on the market, Jeremey Stevens and Daniel Graham. I'd love to have one of them for their hands.. ROyal was, is and will be little more than a blocking TE.. Everett is a waste..

Then next draft, If I'm Marv I pull a Jets move and USE BOTH my first two picks on the offensive line.. Especially if we were to land a stud like Freeney in FA

TO me thats the best plan.

justasportsfan
10-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Definitely agree

It may be the worse group of free agent signings by any team ever. have majority of teams that we're rebuilding turned into an instant playoff team? I'm down on the OL right now but I'd like to wait and see til' the season ends. Most teams that are rebuilding don't end up getting every player they want in the first year. It's just the way it is. Some will pan out, some won't I just can't say after 6 games.

patmoran2006
10-17-2006, 11:42 AM
have majority of teams that we're rebuilding turned into an instant playoff team? I'm down on the OL right now but I'd like to wait and see til' the season ends. Most teams that are rebuilding don't end up getting every player they want in the first year. It's just the way it is. Some will pan out, some won't I just can't say after 6 games.
My problem with Buffalo (and ongoing for years now) is when you sign borderline starters or projects like say Price, Royal, Bowen, Nall etc and they dont pan out its no big deal.

But when you sign borderline/average/mediocre offensive linemen like Fowler and Reyes (or Bennie Anderson and Gandy from TD before) and they dont pan out, it destroys your quarterback, running back and pretty much the entire offense.

I hope a lesson was learned.. If need be, sign less free agents, let more rookies and 2nd year guys make the roster, and SPEND the money on the free agent offensive line when you have the cap room and the players are available.

Tom Ashworth.. Stephen Neal.. Jon Runyon.. Kevin Shaffer.. off the top of my head just a few of the OL out there this past year.. We need to start getting our paws on players like this every now and then, not retreads like fowler and bennie andersons of the league.

justasportsfan
10-17-2006, 11:51 AM
My problem with Buffalo (and ongoing for years now) is when you sign borderline starters or projects like say Price, Royal, Bowen, Nall etc and they dont pan out its no big deal.

But when you sign borderline/average/mediocre offensive linemen like Fowler and Reyes (or Bennie Anderson and Gandy from TD before) and they dont pan out, it destroys your quarterback, running back and pretty much the entire offense.

I hope a lesson was learned.. If need be, sign less free agents, let more rookies and 2nd year guys make the roster, and SPEND the money on the free agent offensive line when you have the cap room and the players are available.

Tom Ashworth.. Stephen Neal.. Jon Runyon.. Kevin Shaffer.. off the top of my head just a few of the OL out there this past year.. We need to start getting our paws on players like this every now and then, not retreads like fowler and bennie andersons of the league.

It's MArv's first year. We had competition signing big named players because of the new CBA. A good GM does not go out spending on every big named player out there. the raiders have proven time and again that it doesn't work. I don't have a problem with what Marv did in the FA. Everything is a trial and error in thefirst year of rebuild. ON the second year, you now have a clearer picture of who stays and who goes and what is needed. Other than Price none of the FA's we signed had huge contracts. We now have cap to fill whatever we think we need AT THE END OF THE SEASON.

We're not coaches and I'm sure Marv asked input from his caoches as far as those FA's you mentioned.

The only thing that Marv was agressive with was the draft. I don't have a problem with that either.

HHURRICANE
10-17-2006, 11:55 AM
have majority of teams that we're rebuilding turned into an instant playoff team? I'm down on the OL right now but I'd like to wait and see til' the season ends. Most teams that are rebuilding don't end up getting every player they want in the first year. It's just the way it is. Some will pan out, some won't I just can't say after 6 games.

Spikes is very angry with you. You just used "rebuilding" in your post.

Sad to say but we are rebuilding. I'm afraid that it's not going to just be a one year project either. We are more than a few players away.

Meathead
10-17-2006, 11:59 AM
*****es :rockout:

kernowboy
10-17-2006, 11:59 AM
What we also need to consider is possible cap issues. Could we have actually even afforded Brees or Hutchinson?

Kerr
10-17-2006, 12:01 PM
I want to see youbouty is action already.