PDA

View Full Version : CNN SI: Sabres #1 in Power Rankings

Mitchy moo
10-17-2006, 02:31 PM
NHL Power Rankings
Rank LW Team
1 1 Buffalo Sabres (5-0-0)
No one has been able to put a chink in their armor, but that doesn't mean the wins have come easily. Friday's victory over the Rangers marked the third time that Buffalo rallied from a two-goal deficit -- and the second straight game it started down 2-0. The Sabres are off to their best start since winning eight straight to open the 1975-76 season, when they made it to the Stanley Cup finals.
Last Week: 2-0-0
2 6 Dallas Stars (5-0-0)
Many experts gave most of the pub in the Western Conference to the Ducks, Sharks and Flames, with good reason. But did people forget about the Stars? Despite last season's playoff flop, they still have a number of productive players. "We always seem to be lost in the shuffle," Mike Modano told the Los Angeles Times. "We've never been picked at the start of the season to do much. It gives us a bit of a motivating factor to come out and prove everybody wrong all over again."
Last Week: 3-0-0
3 8 Minnesota Wild (5-0-0)
One huge reason the Wild is off to the best start in the franchise's six-year history is the play of Manny Fernandez. Since being yanked from the second game of the season, the 32-year-old goalie has gone 3-0 with a micrsopic 0.95 GAA and .963 save percentage. But despite the great start, players are tempering their expectations. "You don't win the Stanley Cup in October," Brian Rolston told the Star Tribune.
Last Week: 3-0-0
4 2 Anaheim Ducks (3-0-2)
The Ducks have yet to allow a first-period goal, and scored first in each of their first five games. Now, if they can just figure out how to beat the Stars, they'll be set. Sunday's loss to Dallas was nothing out of the ordinary. In addition to dropping three to Dallas in an 11-day span last November, Anaheim lost six of eight meetings in 2005-06. The Ducks will get another shot at their Pacific foes on Dec. 20.
Last Week: 1-0-2
5 3 San Jose Sharks (4-1-0)
You may have noticed an NHL commercial featuring winger Jonathan Cheechoo on a surfboard. "It was pretty easy for me," he told the San Jose Mercury News. "I just had to sit there on my surfboard, get down and paddle away. I didn't have to stand up or anything. If I had to stand up, we would've been there for two days." See, not everyone in California knows how to surf. The Sharks looked leaky while surrendering a total of 10 goals in games against Vancouver and Edmonton after allowing only five in their first three.
Last Week: 2-1-0

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/scott_wraight/10/16/power.rankings3/index.html