PDA

View Full Version : Ravens offensive coordinator out in Baltimore

Gunzlingr
10-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Jim Fassel's departure in Baltimore has been boiling for quite some time, but came to a head on Monday when Ravens head coach Brian Billick told his offensive coordinator that he was taking over the play-calling, sources told FOXSports.com.

Fassel had a meeting with the head coach and upper-level Ravens management Monday in which he was informed of Billick's intention to get more involved in the offense. Fassel repsonded that if that was the case, he really didn't need to remain with the team. Billick agreed and released him from his duties.
According to sources, Fassel believes he's never fully been given control of the offense and Billick has always had a hand in it. Billick admitted as much during that meeting with Fassel, but will still take over play-calling reins.
"Clearly, in order for us to expand on our 4-2 start, we have to have more offensive productivity," Billick said Tuesday. "It was my opinion going forward, in order to bring about the level of production that we need offensively, to get where we want to go, that I needed to step back in on a day-to-day basis.:
Billick called the change "one of the most difficult decisions I've had to make.
"I have an obligation to this organization to do what I think is in the best interests of this team, regardless of how difficult those decisions are," he said. Fassell, who was in his second year as the team's offensive coordinator after serving as a senior consultant to the offense for a season, will continue to be paid by the team.

More (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6070496?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5)