PDA

View Full Version : McGee's take on Price signing for one year...

Tatonka
02-26-2003, 10:09 PM
McGee said he's advising Price to sign the Bills offer to keep his options open. At the very least, the move would prevent the Bills from lifting the offer and forcing Price to become a free agent at a time when teams would have already used up most of their salary-cap room to make offers.

Last April, Washington linebacker Jeremiah Trotter was forced to scramble to find a new team after the Philadelphia Eagles lifted their franchise player tag. Trotter eventually signed with the Redskins, but the Eagles' decision sparked bitter feelings in the player.

"I'm not going to allow that to happen to my client,'' McGee said.

McGee all but ruled out attempts to negotiate a long-term deal with the Bills. Their last offer was about $3 million a season and included a $4.5 million signing bonus.

"That's not up for consideration,'' McGee said.

He also doubted the Bills could significantly improve their offer considering the team is attempting to address its other needs -- particularly on defense -- once the NFL's free agency period opens on Friday.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0226/1514907.html

i think he is a better agent than what we are giving him credit for.. just because we dont like what he is saying as bills fans, doesnt mean he isnt doing his job.

WG
02-26-2003, 10:15 PM
You got that right T!!!

That's exactly it. He's not stupid.

On the flip side, I'm really gonna have to question TD's "genious" that everyone has spoken of if he allows Price to sign that 1-year offer w/o having a very good liklihood and suitor for Price in a trade within a week or so of this Saturday when Free Agency opens.

It's a brilliant move on McGee's/Price's part that does two things:

It forces TD's hand...

and

It gives all the leverage in this situation to Price and McGee.

This is exactly why I didn't think this tag was a good idea. My only mistake was thinking that the deal was automatic early on. I didn't realize that Price had to sign the offer to make it real. But now that he's threatening to do this, I really fail to see how this is a low-risk, win-win situation that everyone says it is.

Seems like a very, very high risk, lose-lose situation to me.

Tatonka
02-26-2003, 10:18 PM
if td is that worried about not being able to trade him, they could still yank the tag before he signs.. but i honestly believe that he will trade him wys and it will work out ok.

kgun12
02-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Wys if I'm not mistaken, if they sign the offer sheet all that does is garuntee his service to the Bills we can still sign him to a long term contract or get long term deal done and trade within 24 hours we lose nothing. I think from the reports that their are 6 teams interested, Bostons legal problems, that makes PP the best reciever out there . I still think that leaves TD and the Bills in the driver's seat.

WG
02-26-2003, 10:31 PM
Yeah, well no matter how you slice it, it's a huge gamble and risk!

I agree, that if TD has something in the final stages of being worked out, then great. But you never know when Price will sign that. If Price beats Donahoe to it, it'll be too late.

All I can say is that if TD really thinks he's gonna get Atlanta's first rounder for Price, I think he's foolin' himself. But like you said, we'll have to wait and see.

But remember, if he doesn't do as you say, or if Price signs it before TD yanks it, or if there is no trade currently on the table, then we will be weakened in FAcy b/c of it. We wouldn't be able to sign anyone big until we resolve this.

Last year I felt that we could have gotten a better OL for less than we paid Teague, and a better LB than for about the same as we paid Fletcher. We were weakened b/c TD was trying to work the deal for Bledsoe. I don't want the same thing to happen this year b/c we tagged Price, Price signed, and we can't get rid of him for what we think we should be entitled to.

Just fix the D and let's get on with it. This dilly-dallying around is inefficient and risky!

kgun12
02-26-2003, 10:47 PM
Wys I still think even if PP signs the offer sheet we can still rework it into a long term deal keep him or trade w/in 24 hours and we lose nothing.

WG
02-26-2003, 11:08 PM
We can't work it into a L/T deal. TD laid our offer on the table and it was dismissed as not even worth negotiating. So that's not true. If TD means what he says, then that won't happen. He said they're not gonna break the bank to sign Price and that was confirmed in McGee's statements that they are seeking much more than what the Bills are offering.

It's wishful thinking at this point if TD and McGee/Price are both to be believed.

Honestly, I must say, McGee is taking care of Price here regardless of the bitterness that's being created over the issue amongst fans. Price can be proud of McGee and glad that he's his agent!

As to trading w/in 24 hours, you need two parties to affect a trade. So far all I've heard is talk about trading. When some team ante's up the bucks/picks, then we can talk. Until then, this is all hot air and pipe dreams IMO.

Tatonka
02-27-2003, 12:05 AM
i am willing to gamble with td..

/puts on his poker face :D

kgun12
02-27-2003, 06:12 AM
Wys relax man, no trade can be offered legally until Friday when FA starts. If nothing happens w?in the first week you can worry about no one stepping up.

Stewie
02-27-2003, 01:29 PM
If price signs, what's to say we don't end up takin ga lower round draft pick for him in a trade. Even if we let him go for a 4th rounder, thats better than letting him walk for nothin...

Hell, I'd even swap our second and Price for ATL's first and another player..

Even if we get a 6th of 7th rounder, it will be worth it. Remember, Terell Davis and Tom Brady, two recent super bowl MVP's, were sixth round picks.

WG
02-27-2003, 01:35 PM
Hey Paul,

Well, think about it this way and then answer the same question;

Suppose we lose out on other opportunities b/c we wait and finally only get a 6th and 7th rounder for Price. We'll have lost out on other players that may have helped us much more, right.

Would you consider that having lost out on such players to have been worth a 6th and 7th round pick?

I wouldn't. Time and making the right moves for the team are worth something too. If we have to pick over the dregs and June 1st cuts b/c we didn't act soon enough, that won't have been worth 6th and 7th round picks that likely won't ever start or even be with the team next year.

The question becomes, where does this "waiting" become worth a certain round pick that we'll get? I say no lower than 3rd and even then, if it means our not having most optimally fixed our D this offseason, then I wouldn't even consider a 3rd as having been worth it. Draft picks are not gimmes. They're risky too. Just look at the first and second round picks over the past few years. It's about 50/50 as to whether a player was worth such a high pick.

Novacane
02-27-2003, 02:10 PM
I think a trade will happen soon or the tag will be removed. TD is not going to let PP have a 5mill cap hit this season.

I know you find it hard to believe we can get much for PP Wys and for that matter so do I. However, according to Peter King. the rumblings at the combine are a couple teams have a lot higher opinion of PP than you or I.

King said yesterday on the radio that Atl will likely be willing to give up thier #1 because that will give them the exclusive shot at PP. If the Bills just removed the tag and let him free, Arizona would be the favorite according to King because they have tons of cap space and could outbid anyone.