PDA

View Full Version : Is the Linebacker position a problem on the horizon?

kernowboy
10-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Not wanting to add to the doom and gloom but is linebacker an impending problem?

TKO may never be the same again
Fletcher-Baker has signed with the devil (Drew Rosenhaus) will he be affordable?

So we are left with Crowell and Ellison who hats off to Levy/Jauron was a great spot.

I think we need to think out of the box and go for Paul Posluzny in the draft
He was last years Buktus winner ahead of AJ Hawk. A great LB is a real difference maker like Urlacher in Chicago.

In R1 we will be able to trade down, get Paul and acquire an extra 3rd

Due to the depth at OT we can easily pick up a very good LT in the 2nd round. Doug Free or Joe Staley can easily be our Khaliff Barnes or Matt Light and start from Day1

In the 3rd we can pick up someone like Dan Bazuin to solve our left side on defence

With the extra 3rd round plus maybe compensation for Clements we can manoever and get Justin Harrell, who is big enough on the NT, much better than Anderson and will make a better fist of stopping the run

With our 4th rounder we can go for a big possession receiver. We have one speadster in Lee Evans, we need to be able to show the opposition something different.

Sorry to all the JP haters but QB simply has to wait and in many ways the 2008 draft will be of equal quality. I'd rather start a rookie QB behind a significantly better line like Pittsburgh did as I think if we do the same as the Steelers we could go all the way with a rookie QB in 2008. I don't want a rookie starting behind another work in progress line

I know we can get LBs lower down but Posluzny is a can't miss pick worthy of a first round choice.

TE can come in FA especially if quality like Graham and Stevens

But not until we sort out the other parts in 2007

ICE74129
10-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Its an issue right now. Fletcher isn't the answer at ILB and TKO isn't going to be the old TKO.

OpIv37
10-18-2006, 11:08 AM
I like Crowell and Ellison so far, but LB definitely needs to be addressed. Fletcher is getting old and likely gone after this season. TKO will never be what he once was.

We need to find someone who can be a playmaker at that spot like TKO used to be. Is that Paul Posluzny? I don't know.

PECKERWOOD
10-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Yes, LB is going to be a problem.. Minus TKO and Fletch soon enough, our run defense is going to suck even more.

kernowboy
10-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Then draft Posluzny in the lower R1, get an extra day 1 pick and pick up Harrell as the NT. Alongside Williams and with McCargo fit, it looks marginally better

PECKERWOOD
10-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Then draft Posluzny in the lower R1, get an extra day 1 pick and pick up Harrell as the NT. Alongside Williams and with McCargo fit, it looks marginally better
Dude, Poslunzy is so overrated. I watch PSU all the time, he really isnt that great.. The WLB, #41 over there is pretty good though. He has a knack for the ball.

OpIv37
10-18-2006, 11:30 AM

we will have to get the best DT available in FA next year. Drafting helps but we need an IMMEDIATE impact player at that spot to stuff the run.

alohabillsfan
10-18-2006, 12:22 PM
I wish our only problem was on the horizon!

madness
10-18-2006, 12:40 PM
I think we need to look to FA and the draft immediately to stop the digression of the LB core.

Jan Reimers
10-18-2006, 01:15 PM
I think we need to look to FA and the draft immediately to stop the digression of the LB core.
I think you mean regression or deterioration, but whatever, I agree that because of age/wear and tear (Fletcher) and injury (Spikes) we're going to have to shore up the LB position.

I'd say O and D linemen, along with LB and CB, are our most serious needs. I think what we're able to get in free agency will dictate what we do in the draft - so I would say it's WAY premature to be touting Posluzny or anyone else in the 1st round.

OpIv37
10-18-2006, 01:22 PM

I half agree- LB is a concern but the OL and DL are more immediate concerns.

The_Philster
10-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Dude, Poslunzy is so overrated. I watch PSU all the time, he really isnt that great.. The WLB, #41 over there is pretty good though. He has a knack for the ball.
Dan Conner, you mean? Yeah, he's stood out a lot this season, IMO. I don't know if Posluzny is overrated..although I think he made more plays last year. Whether that has to do with the injury he came back from or the improved play of others around him like Conner is hard to say

PECKERWOOD
10-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Dan Conner, you mean? Yeah, he's stood out a lot this season, IMO. I don't know if Posluzny is overrated..although I think he made more plays last year. Whether that has to do with the injury he came back from or the improved play of others around him like Conner is hard to say
Ahh, Conner thats his name. Thank you. That kid is all over the field, if we could get him a little bit later in the draft, I would be happy.. What injury did Poslunzy come back from? Was it a knee injury? He looked really sluggish against Michigan.. And since I'm on the subject of Michigan, one of their DT's Alan Branch is pretty high on my list also.

ParanoidAndroid
10-18-2006, 09:25 PM
I also think Posluzny may be a tad overrated. As a PSU fan, I love the guy, but I'm not sure of his NFL potential, especially in a Tampa-2 system. He'll be in the NFL, but I think we could do better. I like Patrick Willis out of Mississippi. He's faster, a very good tackler and he can cover in pass defense. If you want a MLB in the first round, P-Willie is the one.
If we go DE, I think Abiamiri is worth a look especially if we can trade down for him. With the extra pick, we could end up getting London Fletcher version 2.0 - Buster Davis.

TigerJ
10-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Let's face it, we need four first round picks.

alohabillsfan
10-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Let's face it, we need four first round picks.

LOL, and several # 2's would also help shore up some positions!

patmoran2006
10-19-2006, 11:45 AM
I like Vets at LB because its a thinking position...

I hope Fletcher and Spikes are both back.

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2006, 11:58 AM
I like Vets at LB because its a thinking position...

I hope Fletcher and Spikes are both back.
I dont think the transition is that bad, in comparison to other positions. LB is a generally quick learning curve.

ScottLawrence
10-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Fletcher doesn't fit the Cover 2.

We should let him go, and pick up someone like Cato June in the offseason, or get an ILB in the draft.

The biggest problem with the defense is the D-Line, no quesiton.

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Fletcher doesn't fit the Cover 2.

We should let him go, and pick up someone like Cato June in the offseason, or get an ILB in the draft.

The biggest problem with the defense is the D-Line, no quesiton.

What are you talking about? Fletcher is a proto type for the cover 2. He was Lovie Smith's MLB in St. Loius, he runs the same system were running here.

kernowboy
10-19-2006, 12:10 PM
I think TKO will want to move on and Fletcher's agent will price him out of Buffalo. I'm not sure there is a great deal in FA so I am suggesting Posluzny as he can play in and out. However Willis from Ole Miss would be fine.

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2006, 12:12 PM
I think TKO will want to move on and Fletcher's agent will price him out of Buffalo. I'm not sure there is a great deal in FA so I am suggesting Posluzny as he can play in and out. However Willis from Ole Miss would be fine.
I cant imagine too many teams overpaying for Fletcher. He is 32 years old, he definately isnt going to get any better than he has been.

kernowboy
10-19-2006, 12:18 PM
He does have Rosenhaus as his agent now, however.

I think he's already on $5m a season. He's not taking less on what will be his last big payday