PDA

View Full Version : Some Bills Salary & Financial Information

patmoran2006
10-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Here is some Buffalo Bills salary information I have been researching.

Wide Receiver: Andre Davis (along with Peerless Price) has the highest base salary of any of the Bills wide receivers this year with a salary of 800 grand. Now that doesn’t sound like a lot of money (he didn’t get a signing bonus), but that’s 800 grand for a guy who doesn’t have a SINGLE catch the entire season. By comparison, Lee Evans’ base salary is only 542 grand. Next year his base salary is only scheduled to be $773,750. That has holdout written all over it. In contrast, Peerless Price will make 1.6 million while Josh Reed will make 1.65 million next year. Price’s cap figure is going to be around $2.4 million next year, while Reed’s will be around $2.2 million... There is NO WAY we are keeping both of them next year with Roscoe Parrish still in the mix, this could Price’s only season with Buffalo. No team with a brain keeps a fourth receiver at a cap figure over $2 million.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

Running Back: If there is ONE thing you can count on, its that Willis McGahee will either get his contract redone after the season or hold out next year. He’s only tabbed to make 905 grand next year, the final year of his contract and assuming he goes well over 1,000 yards again for a third straight year there is no way he’s playing for that salary next year, plain and simple.<o:p> </o:p>

Quarterback: This is one spot that really makes me sick. Craig Nall is the third string quarterback, so 600K isn’t a bad salary this year. Next year however, his salary goes up to $1.1 million. Factor in his $1.3 million signing bonus and his cap number will be around $1.5 million next year.. That’s ABSURD for a third stringer. In the meantime, Holcomb is scheduled to make $1.23 million. You can bet the house he’ll be gone, even though the cap savings wont equate to that much. Put it this way, if we eat $1.5 million for Nall by cutting him when he doesn’t play a down, it will show how clueless Marv is as a GM.<o:p> </o:p>

Offensive line: Melvin Fowler is scheduled to make the most base salary of any linemen next year at $1.75 million. I think we’re stuck with him, even though I think he’s too small and gets pushed around. Peters’ base is $1.5 million, a bargain especially if he moves to the left side. Gandy will be a free agent, and I highly doubt he’ll be back (thank God). Tutan Reyes is worth $1.0 million, even though I think he should be on the right side not the left. Duke Preston has value at only $385 grand, while you can say “see ya” to Villarrial and his $1.45 million salary next year. Overall, this is a low paid offensive line, the only figure that bothers me is Fowler—I don’t think he’ll be cut after one season, and $1.75 million is far too high for a backup. So financially speaking, I think we can forget about finding a new starting center next year.<o:p> </o:p>

Tight Ends: Royal is scheduled to earn $1.3 million next year ($1.9 cap figure), not too bad a bad price but then again Royal isn’t really a productive player. Kevin Everett only has a base of $385 grand so he’ll be back. If the opportunity arises and the cap room is there, I’d like to see us go after a pass catching threat like Daniel Graham or Jeremey Stevens.<o:p> </o:p>

Defensive End: This is a very tricky spot. Ryan Denney was brought back and given a severly backloaded contract. He’s playing for only $600 grand this year and has been a huge bargain. But next year his base salary jumps up to $1.9 million. If he’s back next year at that salary it shows you everything that is wrong with his organization. Denney is a quality backup and a borderline starter, but there is NO way he’s worth that kind of money. He could be one and done after this year unless <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> rips up that deal and negotiates a new one. Aaron Schobel will earn $2.5 million in base salary next year and surely will be back. Tony Hargrove was just traded for and his salary this year is only $425 grand. HE’s a free agent however after this year so if he plays well it will cost some money to keep him. Kelsay is a free agent and I doubt (hope not) that he will be back. This team clearly needs an impact defensive end. Schobel is a quality end but not good enough to anchor a defensive line. This spot along with DT and LT should be the top three priorities next season.<o:p> </o:p>

Defensive Tackle: The bad news is this unit is awful right now. The good news is they are being paid awful. Kyle Williams and John McCargo both have bases of only $360 grand next year. Obviously they’ll both be back. To this point, Tripplett has done absolutely nothing to earn the $1.69 million base he will next year (not counting bonus money going towards that cap figure- which brings his cap number to around $2.8 million/ he got a $5.5 million signing bonus), but there is no way Marv is going to give up on on him after only one year, he’ll be back. Either via Free Agency or the early part of the draft, its almost certain (if they have any brains) that a defensive tackle will be brought in to start alongside Tripplett while Williams and McCargo provide quality depth. As putrid as this unit is right now, the positive is that they are only one quality run stuffing DT away from having a nice unit. Tim Anderson is not signed through next year and Im gonna go on a limb and say he won’t be back next year.. or ever again.<o:p> </o:p>

Linebackers: <st1:City><st1:place>London</st1:place></st1:City> Fletcher will be a free agent next year. His base this year is $4 million. People will be divided on if we should try to resign him. My opinion is we should, he’s one of the few solid vets on this team and he still has some good football left in him. Takeo Spikes will earn $4.5 in base salary next year and his cap number will be over $5.5 million. We need to see how far he comes along between now and season’s end before making and decisions. I’d like to see him back and hope he gets close to 100% because he’s one of the top 10 LB’s in the NFL when he’s at top speed. Surely, his return is iffy. Angelo Crowell and his $1.19 million salary next year is an absolute steal (his cap number is around $1.8 million). The rest of the backups all make modest salaries.<o:p> </o:p>

Cornerback: Nate Clements makes $7.23 million this year and will be a free agent at the end of the season. At that salary, don’t let the door hit you in the ass. He’s gone. Once he leaves, we’ll only have two corners under contract next year; Terrence McGee and Ashton Youboty. Jabrari Greer and Kiwaukee Thomas will both be free agents. Maybe one of them will be brought back to compete for a corner spot, unless we determine Youboty isn’t ready to start, in which case we’d need a new starting cornerback. McGee better get better, because with the trenches being our top priority it’s almost certain he’ll be counted on to be the top corner next season.<o:p> </o:p>

Safety: Matt Bowen and his $800 grand salary this year ($950 grand against the cap) has been a total waste; injured or not. Hopefully his $1.25 cap hit next year won’t be. Coy Wire will be a free agent after this year and I highly doubt we’ll bring him back when Bowens is a good special teamer; unless Marv is senile enough to pay a pair of special teamers that much of a salary. Obviously we’re in great shape the rest of the way here as Whitner and Simpson will make only pennies ($360 grand each) as their base salaries next season.. Whitner’s contract is more tricky as he has a huge option bonus payable for 2007, which <st1:City><st1:place>Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> will obviously pay…. Jim Leonhard only makes $435 grand next year (no signing bonus) and can stick around as the fourth safety.<o:p> </o:p>
Summary: <st1:City><st1:place>London</st1:place></st1:City> Fletcher, Nate Clements and Chris Kelsay are the three big free agents. Realistically, I think only Fletcher may be brought back. Clements is a goner for sure and with Kelsay, I think its time for more of an impact starter on the other side of Schobel. Tim Anderson and Mike Gandy are also free agents, and does anyone really care?
<o:p> </o:p>
Takeo Spikes could be a cap victim depending on how he looks the second half of the season. Between Nall and Holcomb, one of them will certainly be gone as well, as only an idiot would keep three quarterbacks making over a million dollars each. (For the record, Losman’s base next year is only $550 grand). Chris Villiarrial will almost certainly be cut as well.
Lastly, don’t be surprised if Lee Evans wants a new deal, and you can COUNT on Willis McGahee wanting one.
And only McGahee and Tutan Reyes are the current starters who will be free agents in 2008.. So THIS coming off-season is a real key into the direction of this team.

Dont drink the water
10-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Hard to judge Davis for the entire season when he has played only ffour games. And catches are not all that is involved with game especially for special teams players. It ios like juding Evans for number of blocked punts he recovered for entire season.

Jeff1220
10-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Davis's contract might be front loaded, so he can be let go after the season w/minimal cap consequences.

patmoran2006
10-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Davis's contract might be front loaded, so he can be let go after the season w/minimal cap consequences.
Davis can be let go with ZERO consequences because he doesnt have a signing bonus prorated towards next year.

Who cares about Andre Davis though, there are far more important player salaries and situations to discuss.

Dr. Lecter
10-18-2006, 12:03 PM
The chances of Evans wanting a new deal are next to zero. He will want to wait to be an UFA.

patmoran2006
10-18-2006, 12:24 PM
The chances of Evans wanting a new deal are next to zero. He will want to wait to be an UFA.
you catch 90-95 passes and then come back the next season and want to be paid about a half million dollars..

And he's signed through 2009, which means he wont be a free agent for another three years, AFTER this year is over.

alohabillsfan
10-18-2006, 12:32 PM
you catch 90-95 passes and then come back the next season and want to be paid about a half million dollars..

And he's signed through 2009, which means he wont be a free agent for another three years, AFTER this year is over.

I believe he has earned somewhat of a raise.

Earthquake Enyart
10-18-2006, 12:44 PM
We need to see Davis for at least 14 games before we can decide.

TacklingDummy
10-18-2006, 12:47 PM

From a players point of view I could see Lee holding out.

Will we hear the trade his ass for draft picks when he does?

Jan Reimers
10-18-2006, 01:51 PM
I may be in the minority, but I wouldn't bring Fletcher back - unless he's willing to work for less than $4M, which seems unlikely. I like Fletch, but this year makes 9 seasons of constant pounding, and he will be 32 next May. I really don't see him as the highly productive player he once was.

Likewise, Spikes will have to improve markedly from where he is now to warrant a Cap number of $5.5M next year.

The $9-10M we save on Fletch and TKO might just buy us a couple of younger, healthier LBs, and a lineman or two besides.

To paraphrase the old Branch Rickey to Ralph Kiner line, "We lost 11 games with you, we can certainly lose 11 games without you."

patmoran2006
10-18-2006, 01:54 PM
well one thing is for certain.. The job levy does in year #2 of free agency and the draft will show what kind of GM he is, and how this team will be for the next 3-5 years.. He has this year at the helm to feel out the team and add some players.. next season is the true test.

Kerr
10-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Davis is only a role player. 4th receiver at best. A former #1 pick, he's been a bust and, if you're lucky will one 2 to 3 big plays in a season. Ask Tom Brady. I'm dissapointed he didn't take advantage of the opportunity to prove he was no longer a 1st round bust.

I agree with Pat, fletcher will likely be the only one brought back out him, clements and kelsay. If Hargrove ends up establishing himself as a solid player, he would make signing kelsay that much irrelevant.

patmoran2006
10-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Hargrove is in final year of his deal as well.

Michael82
10-18-2006, 03:09 PM
I could have sworn that Andre Davis was signed to only a 1-year deal anyways.

Typ0
10-18-2006, 03:13 PM
I think we're screwed as long as RW is alive and ML is GM. Both of those guys are old school and all they want to do is recreate the olden days. The league has changed and they are too old to adapt. I hope I'm wrong but fear I'm not and this thread is supportive of my theory.

patmoran2006
10-18-2006, 04:20 PM
I think we're screwed as long as RW is alive and ML is GM. Both of those guys are old school and all they want to do is recreate the olden days. The league has changed and they are too old to adapt. I hope I'm wrong but fear I'm not and this thread is supportive of my theory.
now that marv is seeing what he has, and sees what he's going to need.. Lets give him next year to bring in the Free Agents and draft before casting him off as senile, even though he is.

Marv will make a good impact... Its a question if any key free agents will WANT to come to Buffalo

Gunzlingr
10-18-2006, 04:34 PM
I wonder if Spikes would worth something in trade....

YardRat
10-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Marv is far from senile. Not even close.

patmoran2006
10-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Marv is far from senile. Not even close.
Im not even half of Marv's age and I can barely contain ****ting myself.

Marv's coo coo, you know it.:rrich:

Dr. Lecter
10-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Im not even half of Marv's age and I can barely contain ****ting myself.

Marv's coo coo, you know it.:rrich:

Yeah, but you are no Marv Levy.

Marv is saner and wiser than all of us put together. (Except for YardRat and myself.)

HHURRICANE
10-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Nice post and topic Pat!!

1) Kelsay and Denney have both been bust picks. The two of them combined are averaging 5.4 sacks a year. They can thank Culpepper for the boost to their averages this year. I personally can't wait for the day they both get cut. I'm pretty sure we can get one guy that can average more than 5 sacks a year.

2) Tim Anderson has no athletic ability. For a big guy he constantly get's blown up. See ya.

3) Spikes might be on the same bus with Fletcher however I don't see us cutting him unless he's god awful down the stretch.

4) I'm over Fletcher's coaching opinions and I love Jan's quote " I lost 11 with you and I can lose 11 more without you." Decent player but not a game changer in my mind.

5) I expect to see another QB in camp. Holcomb is gone. Jauron is still going to want some competition in camp and it ain't coming from Kelly.

6) Gandy and Villareal are both out of here.

7) Clements is a given.

So we are bringing in another back up QB. A DE and DT. An LT and RG. A MLB and another CB. That's 7 players.

Dr. Lecter
10-18-2006, 09:52 PM
I am not as dissappointed in Denney as most. He is a solid, but not great DE. He is fine as a #3 end or even a starter with quality on the other side. He is solid agaisnt the run and has greatly improved as a pass rusher. His height also causes him to alter QB throws.

I would also say he does better at crunch time than the over-rated Schobel.

clumping platelets
10-18-2006, 10:59 PM
:movie:

Jp7
10-19-2006, 12:39 AM
Yeah, but you are no Marv Levy.

Marv is saner and wiser than all of us put together. (Except for YardRat and myself.)
marv's ass is smart!

kernowboy
10-19-2006, 03:45 AM
Great post Pat,

Looking at what you say I agree with almost most of it.

Wide receiver
I think we all agree that Marv seriously overpaid for Price and he is simply not playing at that sort of level. I am not sure what there is in FA but I think we need a big possession type receiver to compliment Evans. The best like Ernest Wilford and Patrick Crayton in FA are restricted though. Rather than draft we need to see who is available here and they must start at 6ft 3 and 210lbs. Tyrone Calico?
Running Back
Even if McGahee goes over 1000yds I am not convinced about him in Buffalo especially his attitude. I think TJ Duckett will be available and if we pick up Garrett Wolfe in the draft we can do the Dunn/Duckett combo probably cheaper
Quarterback
Holcomb is gone. Nall should be moved up to 2nd string now and might provide competition. If a vet like Pennington becomes available then that demands serious consideration, or even Pat Ramsay who might be a strong back-up and push JP more. Our next QB to be drafted has to come in 2008 because at the moment we don't have the line to protect him. Only if there is a rush on WR/RBs and a top QB starts freefalling would I consider this i 2007 and then only if it looked pretty certain we could get a stud LT in the 2nd, reversing the Ferguson/Clemens selection the Jets made for maybe a Stanton/Free option. I would be more inclined to wait for Kyle Wright in 2008 and I'm not convinced that Brohm won't stay in college either
Offensive Line
Gandy should be not be welcomed back even if he offered to pay us. Fowler has actually not done too bad. I would have preferred Jeff Mitchell, but Fowler has gone up against some of the best DTs in the league and not shamed himself. Promoting from within in Butler and Preston will reduce the cost here, if we were to take Mike Pearson from his garden he would give us a cheap and credible LT, draft a lineman in the 2rd, keep Reyes as the 6th man and with Merz and Pennington we have a decent 9
Tight end
Graham and Stevens have to come in. Royal has to go. He was brought in as an extra 'offensive lineman' due to his blocking and with potential receiving skills and shown neither. Olsen or Miller might be interesting in the draft or if Everett picks up his play we could go to a 2 TE set
Defensive Line
We need to get someone like Dan Bazuin in the draft and say goodbye to Denney or Kelsay probably the latter. I agree with you on Tripplett but I would also like to see them let him go and eat the cap size or agree to rework his contract after such poor performance. Again help is likely in the draft. After his recent bicep injury I think Harrell may drop and we might pick him up in the 3rd. I am concerned about getting someone elses unmotivated fat boy in FA unless its a cheap reclaim project that might pay off. Anderson has been poor so bye bye.
Linebackers
This concerns me as TKO and FB may be done, the former with injury affects the latter with his agent. With at this stage a poor FA coming up FB can be seriously overpaid, and it is possible that money could be better spent elsewhere if a good tackle on either sides gets cut by someone else due to their cap problems. I would draft Posluzny, hopefully trading down to do so. This then gives us Posluzny-Crowell-Ellison with the first two able to play inside and out. We can hope to pick up Ellison clone latter in the draft for depth.
Defensive Backs
No disrespect to Vincent but he should have been cut instead of Baker. Saying that, I would dump Bowen before Wire, as I think Coy is one of ours, and has been our ST leader. I am tired of underachieving FAs. But I can't see why we shouldn't keep both as in a pinch Donte could move over to the free if Ko got injured. At CB, thank god someone else will overpay for Clements. I see some sides cutting CBs such as the Titans who have Jones, Hill, Waddell, and Woolfork and either of the last two would be a good pickup.

So in the draft we try to get, Posluzny, Free, Bazuin, Harrell and Wolfe
In free agency, Graham, Duckett, Calico and Woolfork.

And before every starts screaming bust with the last name mentioned, its about time we turned around someone elses reject. Other teams seem to accomplish one save a season but we won't if we don't even try.

kernowboy
10-19-2006, 04:04 AM
Actually on reflection to my last post, I think we could well get Wilford if we made a pitch. I think the Jaguars are going to go for a WR in the draft and will go for speed. They are unlikely to give up on Matt Jones or Reggie Williams especially as the latter is not coming on and I can't see Wilford 4th on their depth chart. At 6ft4 and 223lbs he would make an excellent No2 for Evans. Duckett is not a bad player but the Redskins panicked when Portis got injured and now they have got two many backs, not enough carries and Duckett is the old man out. And as the Redskins maybe the side overpaying Clements, Mike Rumph would be surplace. Again a bust to date but with two advantages, youth and height.

kernowboy
10-19-2006, 04:05 AM
I meant to say that Reggie Williams is coming on, Matt Jones was too much of a gamble for them to ditch yet

CuseJetsFan83
10-19-2006, 05:13 AM
the bills should look at a possible trade with oakland for a back like lamont jordan, smashmouth but hasnt proven anything this year, but i dont see him there after this year..... because i can forsee an exodus out of oakland.......

duckett, i dunno, kinda like jordan on that smashmouth style, but hasn't done squat this year

in exchange for some good players, whom are you guys wililng to part with as even trade bait?

kernowboy
10-19-2006, 05:22 AM
McGahee for a big NT. Thomas could carry us for the rest of the season. With Greg Williams in Washington we could offload Kelsay or Clements there for say Duckett and Rumph especially as we have picked up Hargrove.

We have TKO but with his injury we won't get much. Fletcher-Baker and Clements will wait for Free Agency probably.

Tripplett takes too much of a hit of someones cap for no production.

Regarding TJ, he was signed with Portis went down in pre-season but both Portis and Betts have recovered and know the system and TJ doesn't. This is why he's third on their depth chart at the present. Jordan is playing but doing nothing, TJ is doing nothing because he isn't playing. Not sure you can compare the two.

CuseJetsFan83
10-19-2006, 05:27 AM
eh, but gotta remember though, duckett was only as good at atlanta because he was the 3rd head in the triumverate of vick/dunn/duckett..........

i still think he is a garbage back though, but who knows, he could do something

ddaryl
10-19-2006, 06:04 AM
Base salary means little in comparison. Lee Evans received a nice signing bonus, and has some incentive bonuses in his contract that easily outweigh the larger base salaries seen by other players.

patmoran2006
10-19-2006, 10:43 AM
I am not as dissappointed in Denney as most. He is a solid, but not great DE. He is fine as a #3 end or even a starter with quality on the other side. He is solid agaisnt the run and has greatly improved as a pass rusher. His height also causes him to alter QB throws.

I'm not dissapointed in Denney either, but his contract calls for $1.9 million next year and that's way too much for a rotational DE. That's what happens when you severly backload a contract, you get off easy in the beginning but pay big time later.

alohabillsfan
10-19-2006, 11:03 AM

CONCUR 100%