PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to move Peters to LT already??

Kerr
10-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Peters and Fowler are probably the best linemen we have on the line, with peters being the best out of the two, but it's been pretty obvious Gandy can't be counted on for the remainder of the season to protect jp's blindside. Peters is quick and versatile enough to play LT. They should throw in Brad Butler at RT to see how well he does. Considering this is from a fan perspective a "rebuiding" season, what do they've got to lose?

Doesn't it tick you off that a team like the patriots drafts guys and pick up guys off the street who are basically rookies and are good enough to start? Could it be that the team just has enough confidence in these young guys to give them a shot? I know jauron and mcnally aren't hitting the panic button, but it's evident this O-line isn't going to get any better than what it already is. I'm waiting for them to give brad butler extensive playing time already and for them to shift Peters to LT where he is much more needed. Until then, there's a good chance JP is going to continue getting killed and running for his life.

patmoran2006
10-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Id love to see Peters at LT, because he can probably handle it and it would give us a chance to see what Butler can do..

But its not going to happen in mid-season.

ICE74129
10-18-2006, 02:26 PM
it can't hurt I guess.

OpIv37
10-18-2006, 02:27 PM
No. Peters isn't exactly blowing people away at RT- he should be left there.

We need to find an LT in the off-season.

ICE74129
10-18-2006, 02:28 PM
No. Peters isn't exactly blowing people away at RT- he should be left there.

We need to find an LT in the off-season.and in the mean time JP gets killed. Great.

But hey, we do have whitner.....

OpIv37
10-18-2006, 02:29 PM
and in the mean time JP gets killed. Great.

Peters has no experience at LT and this will just make the RT spot weaker. You really think that will solve this OL's problems?

Peters will never be a LT.

The_Philster
10-18-2006, 02:54 PM
and in the mean time JP gets killed. Great.

How do we know Peters wouldn't be worse? He's a converted TE playing RT. It's possible he could be good, but I'd rather have someone solid over there that I know I can count on...Levi Brown

TacklingDummy
10-18-2006, 03:16 PM
but I'd rather have someone solid over there that I know I can count on...Levi Brown

So are you saying that people can count on Levi Brown to be a good tackle in the NFL before he is even drafted? The draft is a crapshoot.

What's wrong with people saying JP is a bust 3 years into his NFL career?

Miss Cleo, do you happen to know the winning lottery numbers for tonights drawing also?

Peace out. :evil:

The_Philster
10-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Touche..to an extent..but I will defend my stance by saying this...Levi Brown is one of the best tackles in college football...Peters never played the position in college.

G. Host
10-18-2006, 06:00 PM
One of the primary skills of LT is intellegence and Peters never stood in line for that; while I admit he is not physical enough to be a good run blocker I do not think he will be any better as a LT.

kernowboy
10-18-2006, 06:44 PM
NO.

Don't move Peters to LT move him to LG.

Why? Because he can play LG because of his build and we can still draft a 1st round calibre LT in the second round next year.

We play Peters at LT and then draft Thomas or Baker or Free etc. They can't be guards as they don't have the build.

Move Peters to LG, sign Pearson for 2 seasons at LT, sign an LT in the 2nd round of the 2007 draft (loads of depth so can still get quality) and we are 'sorted'

Jeff1220
10-18-2006, 07:03 PM
I don't know about the intelligence thing, but correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will): LTs usually deal w/speed rushers, while RTs usually deal with the slower, run stopping DE. It seems that, with the speed/agility he possesses for a big man, Peters would be a better fit in dealing with speed rushers. He should have the athleticism and strength to go toe to toe with the faster DEs. The guy is well over 300lbs and ran about a 4.8, if I remember correctly. Not only good straight ahead speed..being a tight end, he had to be agile enough w/footwork to run routes. If the intelligence factor doesn't interfere, I'd think that JPeters could be a very good LT.

PECKERWOOD
10-18-2006, 07:22 PM
How do we know Peters wouldn't be worse? He's a converted TE playing RT. It's possible he could be good, but I'd rather have someone solid over there that I know I can count on...Levi Brown
Thats exactly what I am thinking. Why move Peters, he is just coming into his own, it may hinder his development. Right tackle and Left tackle are TWO different positions. It has alot to do with a linemens technique, you cant just flip them like a burger and expect it to work out. I would rather upgrade the Left Tackle position whether its through draft or via free agency, something needs to be done.

PECKERWOOD
10-18-2006, 07:26 PM
I don't know about the intelligence thing, but correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will): LTs usually deal w/speed rushers, while RTs usually deal with the slower, run stopping DE. It seems that, with the speed/agility he possesses for a big man, Peters would be a better fit in dealing with speed rushers. He should have the athleticism and strength to go toe to toe with the faster DEs. The guy is well over 300lbs and ran about a 4.8, if I remember correctly. Not only good straight ahead speed..being a tight end, he had to be agile enough w/footwork to run routes. If the intelligence factor doesn't interfere, I'd think that JPeters could be a very good LT.
Theirs no doubt he has the physical abilities to be a good LT, but I dont think its the right decision. Leave him at RT and let him get that precious experience. And as far as the players a RT and LT will face, it is completely random. On some teams you have duel threats at DE, and both are studs. Look at Indy and the NYG. The point is, a LT could face a no name DE one game, while the RT is going up against Julius Peppers.

YardRat
10-18-2006, 07:39 PM
NO.

Don't move Peters to LT move him to LG.

Why? Because he can play LG because of his build and we can still draft a 1st round calibre LT in the second round next year.

We play Peters at LT and then draft Thomas or Baker or Free etc. They can't be guards as they don't have the build.

Move Peters to LG, sign Pearson for 2 seasons at LT, sign an LT in the 2nd round of the 2007 draft (loads of depth so can still get quality) and we are 'sorted'

This post is confusing. Are you playing Peters at LG or LT? Who's going to play RT? Where does Reyes go if Peters moves into his guard spot, RG?

Personally, I don't think Peters has been dominating anybody at the RT position this year, and despite his athleticism I'd guess he'd be lit up on the left side just as much as Gandy is.

Give the o-line the same benefit of the doubt you're willing to give JP...they're young and inexperienced also, so give them the full season and then evaluate at year's end.

PECKERWOOD
10-18-2006, 07:45 PM
This post is confusing. Are you playing Peters at LG or LT? Who's going to play RT? Where does Reyes go if Peters moves into his guard spot, RG?

Personally, I don't think Peters has been dominating anybody at the RT position this year, and despite his athleticism I'd guess he'd be lit up on the left side just as much as Gandy is.

Give the o-line the same benefit of the doubt you're willing to give JP...they're young and inexperienced also, so give them the full season and then evaluate at year's end.

Some of our OL are young, not all of them. In particular the two weakest spots on our OL is because of older veterans, not the young guys. i.e. Gandy and Villarial.

I'l give Gandy till seasons end since I dont have much of a choice, but he isnt the guy I want protecting our QB's blind side. As far as, Villarial goes, he hasnt started a full season since his arrival in Buffalo. That is more than enough time for me to evaluate him.

YardRat
10-18-2006, 08:07 PM
I was talking in terms of the unit, not the individual players. This is their first year together, and they've only played six games.

PECKERWOOD
10-18-2006, 08:12 PM
I was talking in terms of the unit, not the individual players. This is their first year together, and they've only played six games.
As I said, I would give Gandy this season to prove himself. (dont really have a back up option anyways..) But as far as Villarial goes, I do not need to wait a full season to find out what he is capable of, Furthermore, it doesnt matter how good he is, if he is always injured. Since Villarials arrival, he has not started a full season. The only consistency Villarial has shown me, is inconsistency!