PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS!!!

raphael120
10-18-2006, 03:13 PM
There were some non-credible dirty bomb threats reported to go off in NFL games in Cleveland, Miami, Seattle, New York, Oakland, and Houston. Supposivly not to happen but still the Homeland Security passed on this information. So the whole 5 people slated to go to the Oakland game, u might want to keep an eye out. ;)

THATHURMANATOR
10-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Link?

Typ0
10-18-2006, 03:15 PM
There were some non-credible dirty bomb threats reported to go off in NFL games in Cleveland, Miami, Seattle, New York, Oakland, and Houston. Supposivly not to happen but still the Homeland Security passed on this information. So the whole 5 people slated to go to the Oakland game, u might want to keep an eye out. ;)

is this supposed to be funny? It's not funny at all. In fact, you might think it's freedom of speech but the supreme court has ruled that doing things like "yelling fire in a crowded moviehouse" are not protected under free speech.

THATHURMANATOR
10-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Especially when many of the members here are Bills season ticket holders and will be attending the Bills game Sunday.

I hope they search people extensively.

TacklingDummy
10-18-2006, 03:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2631048

OpIv37
10-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Especially when many of the members here are Bills season ticket holders and will be attending the Bills game Sunday.

I hope they search people extensively.

Pointless.

An effective dirty bomb would have to be too large to be hidden in clothing- it would have to be in it's own briefcase-size or larger container, and those are already banned from the stadium.

justasportsfan
10-18-2006, 03:27 PM
reported on wgr.

THATHURMANATOR
10-18-2006, 03:27 PM
You would be surprised as to what people can get into the stadium. Although I am hoping they search much more closely from now on.

raphael120
10-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Yeah but the scary part is if they set it off downwind to a stadium, but who knows. when i first put that link up, (i work at news station), it was kinda hyped, of course, but as it turns out its just more and more just some stupid terrorist empty threat.

TacklingDummy
10-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Pointless.

An effective dirty bomb would have to be too large to be hidden in clothing- it would have to be in it's own briefcase-size or larger container, and those are already banned from the stadium.

Would you actually have to get it into the Stadium or would just setting it off in the parking lot be good enough? Lets just say I wouldn't want to be around to find out.

OpIv37
10-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Would you actually have to get it into the Stadium or would just setting it off in the parking lot be good enough? Lets just say I wouldn't want to be around to find out.
depends on the size of the bomb.

Inside the stadium would be more effective because dirty bombs aren't capable of covering wide areas- it would be able to hit a very large number of people in a relatively small area and would probably expose everyone in the stadium to some level of radiation.

A dirty bomb in the parking lot could be dangerous as well- it's just unlikely to hit as many people, won't be on national TV and won't create a panic scene of people trying to evacuate the stadium.

Keep in mind, though, that it's extremely difficult to get enough radiological material to create a dirty bomb. If this report is credible, it means the terrorists would have had to get enough material for multiple bombs in multiple cities without the CIA, FBI or other law enforcement entity noticing. That's damn near impossible.

gr8slayer
10-18-2006, 03:37 PM
I just heard this on News Radio too. Stadiums included some in NY and FLA.

gr8slayer
10-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Pointless.

Could be dropped from a plane?

gr8slayer
10-18-2006, 03:38 PM
is this supposed to be funny? It's not funny at all. In fact, you might think it's freedom of speech but the supreme court has ruled that doing things like "yelling fire in a crowded moviehouse" are not protected under free speech.
He is not trying to be funny. I just heard it here in Dallas as well

Typ0
10-18-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm smart enough to detonate a dirty bomb in a stadium if I had the materials and had any desire to do so...I'm sure there are scum bags out there who are smart enough as well. It seems they would be better served blowing up the superbowl though.

Typ0
10-18-2006, 03:40 PM
He is not trying to be funny. I just heard it here in Dallas as well

I heard it too....it was that comment about OAK that wasn't required.

OpIv37
10-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Could be dropped from a plane?

it's possible but that would make it much more difficult to carry out. The terrorists would have to get planes and fly them over the stadiums and then drop the bomb with enough accuracy to hit the target. And since they would have small non-commercial aircraft, they'd have no targeting system.

You'd have to ask gameboy but it's my understanding that since 9/11 airspace over densely packed events like football games is watched very carefully.

A briefcase bomb or car bomb is a far more likely delivery method for a dirty bomb.

gr8slayer
10-18-2006, 03:47 PM
it's possible but that would make it much more difficult to carry out. The terrorists would have to get planes and fly them over the stadiums and then drop the bomb with enough accuracy to hit the target. And since they would have small non-commercial aircraft, they'd have no targeting system.

You'd have to ask gameboy but it's my understanding that since 9/11 airspace over densely packed events like football games is watched very carefully.

A briefcase bomb or car bomb is a far more likely delivery method for a dirty bomb.After 9/11 I dont doubt these people.

Typ0
10-18-2006, 03:47 PM

A briefcase bomb or car bomb is a far more likely delivery method for a dirty bomb.

how about a catapult?

gr8slayer
10-18-2006, 03:48 PM
I heard it too....it was that comment about OAK that wasn't required.
I stand corrected.

Typ0
10-18-2006, 03:50 PM
I stand corrected.

it detracted from the believability of the original post...I hadn't heard it announced on the radio yet.

OpIv37
10-18-2006, 03:51 PM
how about a catapult?

they probably have one that the Europeans left in the Middle East during the Crusades.

Typ0
10-18-2006, 03:53 PM
they probably have one that the Europeans left in the Middle East during the Crusades.

I had plans to build one to launch beers into my section in the stadium during the game...but no one was stupid enough to stand outside and operate it during the game.

OpIv37
10-18-2006, 03:53 PM
After 9/11 I dont doubt these people.

the thing about 9/11 was that it worked because it was very simple.

Dropping dirty bombs on football stadiums from planes is unbelievably complex. Not saying they wouldn't try- I'm just saying that if there's an easier way, they'd probably find it and try that first.

Typ0
10-18-2006, 03:54 PM

Dropping dirty bombs on football stadiums from planes is unbelievably complex. Not saying they wouldn't try- I'm just saying that if there's an easier way, they'd probably find it and try that first.

not sure how difficult it would be to steal a crop duster sitting in a field and fly it over the stadium.

OpIv37
10-18-2006, 03:54 PM
I had plans to build one to launch beers into my section in the stadium during the game...but no one was stupid enough to stand outside and operate it during the game.

that's actually a pretty good idea- just make sure you're ready for it. It would suck to be watching the game and have a six pack catapulted into the back of your head.

OpIv37
10-18-2006, 03:55 PM
not sure how difficult it would be to steal a crop duster sitting in a field and fly it over the stadium.

I don't know either- I know the airspace is watched carefully but how quickly they could scramble jets to intercept is a different matter.

Typ0
10-18-2006, 03:55 PM
that's actually a pretty good idea- just make sure you're ready for it. It would suck to be watching the game and have a six pack catapulted into the back of your head.

hmmm....I was thinking beer balls myself and I didn't figure it would be precise enough to hit me. With the use of a cell phone I would know it's coming and could scoop in and grab it and the stadium staff would be busy rushing to the person who was hit.

Typ0
10-18-2006, 03:57 PM
I don't know either- I know the airspace is watched carefully but how quickly they could scramble jets to intercept is a different matter.

I don't think the low fly airspace is watched that closely at all. There is a no fly zone over the stadium now which is absolutely useless as by the time they were seen it would be too late.

OpIv37
10-18-2006, 03:59 PM
I don't think the low fly airspace is watched that closely at all. There is a no fly zone over the stadium now which is absolutely useless as by the time they were seen it would be too late.

yeah but what they never told us is that homeland security has surface-to-air missiles mounted on Hum-v's in the stadium tunnel for just such a situation.

The Canadians found out about them, but the US government covered it up by saying they were Zambonis for the astroturf.

Philagape
10-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Government skeptical of threat against NFL stadiums

By LARA JAKES JORDAN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - A Web site is claiming that seven NFL football stadiums will be hit with radiological dirty bombs this weekend, but the government on Wednesday expressed doubts about the threat.
The warning, posted Oct. 12, was part of an ongoing Internet conversation titled "New Attack on America Be Afraid." It mentioned NFL stadiums in New York, Miami, Atlanta, Seattle, Houston, Oakland and Cleveland, where games are scheduled for this weekend.
The Homeland Security Department alerted authorities and stadium owners in those cities, as well as the NFL, of the Web message but said the threat was being viewed "with strong skepticism." Officials at the NCAA, which oversees college athletics, said they too had been notified.
Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said there was no intelligence that indicated such an attack was imminent, and he said the alert was "out of an abundance of caution."
"The department strongly encourages the public to continue to go about their plans, including attending events that involve large public gatherings such as football games," Knocke said.
The FBI also expressed doubt about the threat.
"While the credibility of the threat is questionable, we have passed the information on because it has been carried in some open source reporting," said FBI spokesman Richard Kolko. He said the FBI was discussing the threat with the NFL as "part of our routine discussions this week."
Officials were made aware of the Web posting on Oct. 16. The threat was timed to be carried out on Sunday, Oct. 22, marking the final day in Mecca of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month.
"The death toll will approach 100,000 from the initial blasts and countless other fatalities will later occur as result from radioactive fallout," according to a copy of the posting that was obtained by The Associated Press.
The bombs, according to the posting, would be delivered to the stadiums in trucks. All but one of the stadiums - Atlanta - are open-air arenas, the posting noted, adding: "Due to the open air, the radiological fallout will destroy those not killed in the initial explosion."

HAMMER
10-18-2006, 04:56 PM
While a dirty bomb would be difficult I can't figure out why there have been no suicide bombings in malls or stadiums in the US. Now that the weather is getting cold it would be very easy for a bomber to at least get to the crowded gate before kickoff and take out a couple hundred people.

BILLSROCK1212
10-18-2006, 06:21 PM
**** an di am goin to the Jet game this weekend

kernowboy
10-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Aren't the Republicans up for re-election in several seats? This is a typical scare store to get you to back the powers that be.

I love the USA, I have worked in the USA, I am English.

the Republican party have done more to ruin the image of America in the eyes of non-Americans than anyone else in the last 200 years.

No offence, but to all decent, normal Americans, i.e 99.999% of you wake up and smell the coffee - this is a propaganda scare story.

Turf
10-18-2006, 10:02 PM
I hope the mental midgets who run this nation realize this may be a diversion to the real targets. It's like watching Klink and Hogan all over again.

Dr. Lecter
10-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Aren't the Republicans up for re-election in several seats? This is a typical scare store to get you to back the powers that be.

I love the USA, I have worked in the USA, I am English.

the Republican party have done more to ruin the image of America in the eyes of non-Americans than anyone else in the last 200 years.

No offence, but to all decent, normal Americans, i.e 99.999% of you wake up and smell the coffee - this is a propaganda scare story.

Not the Republican party. People who currently are masquerading as Republicans. Big Difference.

Mitchy moo
10-18-2006, 10:41 PM
We have a little of everything in this thread, political views and terrorists coming to visit us. I just hope nothing happens.

PECKERWOOD
10-18-2006, 11:32 PM

Yah, they would probably just crash the plane into the stadium. But now Im just giving terrorists ideas. Also, I hope Im not being watched by the FBI! DAMN PATRIOT ACT! RUNNNNNNNN!

CuseJetsFan83
10-19-2006, 12:17 AM
now i know this is football related, but shouldnt this say be in the TOS area?

mybills
10-19-2006, 06:04 AM
Bringing them in trucks? They could take out every tailgate before the game ever starts. :eek:

Mitchy moo
10-19-2006, 10:41 AM
It was a kid, playing games in WI:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The FBI was interviewing a Milwaukee resident Thursday believed to be responsible for posting what officials think are phony threats on a Web site about radiological dirty bomb attacks on NFL football stadiums this weekend.
The person, described only as a young adult, did not appear to have any ties to terrorist groups, according to a law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/10/19/threat.games.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Let's move on, please.