PDA

View Full Version : Bills defense under the microscope

TigerJ
10-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Found this link at TBD. Some blogger has broken down the Bills defense this season like a quality control coach. If the analysis is accurate, and I'm not going to attempt to prove it is or isn't, when is shows how much the defense is struggling and how much Nate Clements in particular is tanking this season:

http://wnysportsblogs.com/2006/10/14/hitting-between-the-numbers-week-5.aspx?results=1#SurveyResultsChart

YardRat
10-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Pretty interesting, but there's nothing to compare it to. I'd like to see the same breakdown of, say, the Bears' defense and see how the stats of the two teams compare. Or even Indy.

Also...what is the author using as a gauge for a missed tackle? For being 'out of position' ? Is he familiar enough with the intricacies of the Tampa 2 to be able to accurately determine whether or not a gap responsibility is the d-lineman's or the linebacker's?

TigerJ
10-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Like I said, YR, "if the analysis is accurate." I'm merely linking to someone's opinion/analysis. Read it for what it's worth to you. I cannot tell you if there is any validity to it or not.

YardRat
10-18-2006, 08:32 PM
I know, Tiger...didn't mean to insinuate that the questions were directed at you. They were just questions I had after reading the analysis.

TigerJ
10-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to get overly sensitive on you.

OpIv37
10-18-2006, 10:59 PM
I agree it would be nice to have the same analysis for another team as a point of comparison, but one thing is clear:

Clements rates amongst the lowest of players on our team. Considering he makes the most amount of money, that's a disturbing trend.

The thought of any of the other CB's on our current roster (Mcgee excluded) starting in his place next year is scary, but not as scary as hosing our cap for his non-existent production. Let the Redskins or some other sucker team overpay his sorry ass next year.

kernowboy
10-19-2006, 05:00 AM
Agreed.

Little concerned about Schobels stats but I think that has more to do with the piss poor play of Tripplett inside him leaving Schobel doubled teamed. Heck, they probably don't even need to block Tripplett. A missed tackle at least means you were close to making a tackle :)

We should have got rid of Clements last season. I think we need to get Ashton Youboty on the field. I know Thomas has done well but he won't be a starter while Youboty could be. We don't need to waste another high draft pick until we know what we have in the pantry.

It looks like Ellison is a gamer and a keeper and the LBs are doing well. The worry is Fletcher-Baker will bolt and if TKO never fully recovers even with Ellison we'll need another LB as we don't have starting quality depth.

So give Youboty a go, look to see who we might pick up in FA next season and I am happy to consider a flop to date like Rumph or Woolfork with a DB coach as defensive co-ordinator and a former DB as the head coach. Get some meat in the middle, either a pickup or a middle round draft pick like Harrell, 6ft4 and over 300lbs .. the best Tennessee DT since Henderson but who's been injured and go for the best ever (according to some) Nittany Lions LB in Posluzny. With Bazuin maybe in the third our D then looks like

The Line: Bazuin-Harrell-McCargo/Tripplett-Schobel
LBs: Crowell-Posluzny-Ellison
DBs: McGee-Simpson-Whitner-Youboty/Rumph

It doesn't look too bad on paper at least?