PDA

View Full Version : For everyone that thinks it's the QB, cut McGahee!!

HHURRICANE
10-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Week 1: 70 yards
Week 2: 91 yards
Week 3: 150 yards - We lost the game.
Week 4: 78 yards
Week 5: 50 yards
Week 6: 66 yards

I always thought the way to take pressue off the QB was to have a solid running game?

Guess what? When your RB is averaging 58 yards the last 2 games, and 64 yards the last 3 games, you aren't winning many games. Losman played very well against the Vikes, and that's the only reason we beat the Vikes.

If your argument is that the OL is the reason that McGahee is struggling, which makes sense, than remember that this is the same line blocking for your QB!!!!!!!!!

Night Train
10-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Sometimes you're not running the ball because your D is getting torched and you're forced to play catch up .

I'm just saying.

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2006, 08:13 AM

I always thought the way to take pressue off the QB was to have a solid running game?

Guess what? When your RB is averaging 58 yards the last 2 games, and 64 yards the last 3 games, you aren't winning many games. Losman played very well against the Vikes, and that's the only reason we beat the Vikes.

If your argument is that the OL is the reason that McGahee is struggling, which makes sense, than remember that this is the same line blocking for your QB!!!!!!!!!
I think the OL is partially to blame, obviously willis deserves some blame too. Hopefully he lights it up the Pats this Sunday like he did to the Jets.

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Sometimes you're not running the ball because your D is getting torched and you're forced to play catch up .

I'm just saying.
Thats a good point. Against Detroit Fairchild was getting a little too predictable with his play calling.. It was a pass almost every play. Honestly, I dont care how much your down, you still have to mix it up.

jamze132
10-19-2006, 08:17 AM

Exactly, it is the same line that allows McGahee to average 58 yards the last two games and the same line that has gotten JP almost killed the past 2 games. So you can't blame McGahee, and you can't blame Losman. Blame the Pop Warner all-stars we have on the Line.

Inetpub
10-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Hes 5th in the NFL in rushing and your wanting to cut him for production? When your stuck playing catch up mode the last 2 games, we go with the throw. Its simple strategy. Running the ball eats up time.

Also, Its not his call on what play he wants. He is constantly asked to run the ball down the middle. He takes the pounding no other player in our team could. Fairchild is the idiot here when he constantly asks for the 2-3 yard gain with the pounding through the middle. Also, You dont often see Mcgahee lose any big yardage if he gets stopped early. Hes pounding it out for the extra yard.

THATHURMANATOR
10-19-2006, 08:24 AM
The line is the major problem obviously, not sure why people can't see this. If just JP or Just Willis was struggling you could make cases for the individual but when both are pressured constantly to me the line is the only answer.

kernowboy
10-19-2006, 08:27 AM
A great post. As a Limey observing from over the otherside of the pond, my thoughts are these

1. McGahee was a luxury pick who has never fully recovered from his injury
2. He thinks he's better than he actually is
3. He doesn't like Buffalo and will hold out for a better deal
4. He won't resign at the end of his contract and go for Free Agency
5. Like with JP, he is hampered by the line
6. The lack of diversity in our offence without a good TE or a big No2 receiver means our offence is easy to play against.
7. He does blow hot and cold and has a very poor average carry stat

However we could end up having to trade like for like as we will still need an RB and Thomas isn't that man. At the moment Free Agency amounts to Michael Turner, Chris Brown and TJ Duckett. I would not like to spend a high draft pick on a meat and potatoes RB, rather drafting much lower for someone like Garrett Wolfe who isn't big enough to carry the load. I would like to see McGahee gone for a big NT as I think he'll go anyway. What I hope is that come the draft someone might go into freefall like Mike Bell of Arizona did because from all accounts he's an OFA steal. Like Tony Hunt of Penn St. I doubt this will occur.

What I think will happen is that McGahee will hold out initially but will play in 2007 for us but the 2008 draft will be one where we will look for the offensive skills positions like QB and RB. In the 2007 draft it will be the trenches and LB

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2006, 08:28 AM
The line is the major problem obviously, not sure why people can't see this. If just JP or Just Willis was struggling you could make cases for the individual but when both are pressured constantly to me the line is the only answer.
My thoughts exactly, sir.

HHURRICANE
10-19-2006, 08:41 AM

DING, DING, DING!!! We have a winner!!!!

I love how the same people blaming JP never bring up Willis. I certainly don't think that Willis is the issue either. But you have to ask why your above average RB has only 1 (100 yard game).

Since the OL isn't going to get any better I'm now turning my attention to the coaching staff. Time to tear up the offensive playbook and try some different stuff.

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2006, 08:44 AM
With a decent OL, I could see Willis rushing for 100 yards, easily, every other game atleast.

HHURRICANE
10-19-2006, 09:05 AM
Guaranteed that all of the JP Bashers are staying away from this thread. Too much logic here!!

SquishDaFish
10-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Keep what we have and put all concentration next year on BOTH LINES!

billsfairweatherfan
10-19-2006, 09:40 AM

jp the reason.' plain and simple'.he turns the ball over too many times. either fumbles, int or just dumb luck

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Guaranteed that all of the JP Bashers are staying away from this thread. Too much logic here!!
Untill Fairweatherfan or tacklingdummy gets here. It doesnt matter how much logic is in this thread, they wont see it.

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2006, 09:58 AM
speak of the devil, I swear I didnt see him post before me

TacklingDummy
10-19-2006, 10:02 AM
With all the dink and dunking the Bills passing game does, I thought the pass game was the run game. :wave:

patmoran2006
10-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Well if you're going to talk about how awful McGahee has been the last two weeks, then you should also note that Willis only had 6 carries in the second half last week vs Detroit, and 5 carries in the second half against Chicago.

That kind of makes the running game hard to get going now, doesnt it?

GarnOFreak
10-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Look at the number of carries Willis had versus the number of passes:

Week 1: 20 runs for 70 yards vs 23 passes for 164 yards.
Week 2: 25 runs for 91 yards vs 18 passes for 83 yards.
Week 3:26 runs for150 yards vs 38 passes for 328 yards.
Week 4: 28 runs for 78 yards vs 32 passes for 232 yards.
Week 5: 14 runs for 50 yards vs 27 passes for 115 yards.
Week 6: 17 runs for 66 yards vs 34 passes for 207 yards.

The last two weeks we have abandoned the run, plain and simple. I mean if you look at the number of pass play to running plays 61 to 31...when did Kevin Gilbride get back in town? The first 4 weeks were more balanced, and hopefully we return to that strategy instead of RB up the middle for 2 yards on 1st down, then pass on 2 and long and pass on 3rd and long. Where are the outside runs for long gains? During the preseason I was amped to see Willis look faster...it's hard to sprint between the DTs when you have no or little hole. Is it any wonder that the D looked better in the games we had more runs? They don't have to suck wind on the sideline for 3 plays and a punt, but actually get to take a break for a couple of minutes before having to go back out.

evol4276
10-19-2006, 03:06 PM
didnt we play 2 teams that have really good run d's 2 weeks in a row?

HHURRICANE
10-19-2006, 03:12 PM
didnt we play 2 teams that have really good run d's 2 weeks in a row?

Excuse.

HHURRICANE
10-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Well if you're going to talk about how awful McGahee has been the last two weeks, then you should also note that Willis only had 6 carries in the second half last week vs Detroit, and 5 carries in the second half against Chicago.

That kind of makes the running game hard to get going now, doesnt it?

Than it's the coaches fault?

patmoran2006
10-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Than it's the coaches fault?
yes.. Its the coaches fault for putting the game on the shoulders of a Quarterback who's either not good enough, or not ready to have games put on his shoulders

patmoran2006
10-19-2006, 03:23 PM
When you run the ball.. the WORST that happens if you dont get the first down, you have to punt, and your defense has a chance to keep you in the game by making plays (which we did early in the season)

When you throw the ball 70% of the time, you allow your raw, young QB to throw horribly telegraphed picks and take multi-yard loss sacks and/or get hit and fumble which lead directly into the opposition scoring points.

HHURRICANE
10-19-2006, 03:34 PM
When you run the ball.. the WORST that happens if you dont get the first down, you have to punt, and your defense has a chance to keep you in the game by making plays (which we did early in the season)

When you throw the ball 70% of the time, you allow your raw, young QB to throw horribly telegraphed picks and take multi-yard loss sacks and/or get hit and fumble which lead directly into the opposition scoring points.

When you put the ball in your raw, young RB and ask him to get a yard on 4th and 1 to seal the game it leads directly to the opposition driving down the field and taking the momentum away.

When he misses the blocks 70% of the time it's going to lead to your QB getting hit and fumbling the ball.