PDA

View Full Version : Scathing column about Booger

Coach Sal
10-19-2006, 08:32 AM
McFarland deal all about a lack of production
By Matthew Postins

The first Tampa Bay Buccaneers game I covered two years ago was against Kansas City. In that game, Anthony McFarland got hurt. I have to admit, I didn't notice that until well after the injury.

In the interest of this column I'm going to say it was less my falling asleep on the job and more McFarland's unremarkable last few seasons in Tampa Bay.

Dealing "Booger" to Indianapolis for a second-round pick next season should be a steal for the Buccaneers. They move a player who has been remarkable only in his inconsistency and his love for golf for a draft pick that could allow them to select a player that could bolster an aging defense.

Forget that McFarland was supposed to replace Warren Sapp, and that the Bucs paid McFarland $31 million to that effect. Forget that when he took over the under tackle position he said that was his more "natural" position. His on-field resume since Sapp's departure illuminates the reality.
The Bucs made a big financial mistake investing in McFarland.

more here:
http://www.sun-herald.com/Newsarchive2/101906/sp14.htm?date=101906&story=sp14.htm

Kerr
10-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Yes it's true, he hadn't been as productive as he was before, but some people tend to think a change can do a player good. Marv apparently inquired about him, but was not prepared to surrender a high pick.

OpIv37
10-19-2006, 09:02 AM
the sad part: he's still better than anyone on our DL. So what if he's not Warren Sapp? He'd still be an upgrade over Tim Anderson.

kernowboy
10-19-2006, 09:04 AM
The price of a high draft pick for someone who might play better with new scenery. He could also play like Tripplett

justasportsfan
10-19-2006, 09:06 AM
the sad part: he's still better than anyone on our DL. So what if he's not Warren Sapp? He'd still be an upgrade over Tim Anderson.
So you're saying we should've brought him over and his cap? If he continues to suck you'd find something to whine about. Give me a break. Just because our DL isn't anything to brag about, it doesn't mean we have to sign just any DT out there. Our coaches are doing their homewrok. It's a work in progress. You gotta be smart about it. The Raiders way hasn't worked.

OpIv37
10-19-2006, 09:14 AM
So you're saying we should've brought him over and his cap? If he continues to suck you'd find something to whine about. Give me a break. Just because our DL isn't anything to brag about, it doesn't mean we have to sign just any DT out there. Our coaches are doing their homewrok. It's a work in progress. You gotta be smart about it. The Raiders way hasn't worked.

and neither has ours.

If it's not working they should do something to fix it. It's the middle of the season so options are limited- there's no guarantee that any of the available options would work out completely. But at least it's making an attempt to fix a problem. And also, it's not a huge risk to bring in someone to be an upgrade over Tim Anderson.

justasportsfan
10-19-2006, 09:19 AM
and neither has ours.

If it's not working they should do something to fix it. It's the middle of the season so options are limited- there's no guarantee that any of the available options would work out completely. But at least it's making an attempt to fix a problem. And also, it's not a huge risk to bring in someone to be an upgrade over Tim Anderson.Do you understand what rebuild is all about?

You're talking about panic buying . It takes time. Sheez. It's simple football. Simple common sense. You can't fix everything in 6 games. Not even in the first year of rebuild.

His cap makes it a huge risk. He isn't playing up to par. Do you want another Posey?He was better than anything we had . How did that turn out?

You B1tched about Price and now you want another Price? Make up your mind. Sheez.You're just whining for the sake of whining , AGAIN.

OpIv37
10-19-2006, 09:23 AM
Do you understand what rebuild is all about?

You're talking about panic buying . It takes time. Sheez. It's simple football. Simple common sense. You can't fix everything in 6 games. Not even in the first year of rebuild.

His cap makes it a huge risk. He isn't playing up to par. Do you want another Posey? You B1tched about Price and now you want another Price? Make up your mind. Sheez.

Last time I checked, our receivers situation was not nearly as desperate as our DL situation. But, you have a habit of making faulty comparisons so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you think every position on the field is exactly the same.

And you're saying we should just accept the fact that our DL is going to absolutely blow for the rest of the season? Great idea :rolleyes:. We already know what we have in Tripplett and Anderson. Williams might get better, McCargo's injured. So if you actually buy this "we're rebuilding, it takes more than 6 games" in this instance, you're just kidding yourself. This DL will continue to get owned for the rest of the season.

justasportsfan
10-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Last time I checked, our receivers situation was not nearly as desperate as our DL situation. But, you have a habit of making faulty comparisons so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you think every position on the field is exactly the same.

And you're saying we should just accept the fact that our DL is going to absolutely blow for the rest of the season? Great idea :rolleyes:. We already know what we have in Tripplett and Anderson. Williams might get better, McCargo's injured. So if you actually buy this "we're rebuilding, it takes more than 6 games" in this instance, you're just kidding yourself. This DL will continue to get owned for the rest of the season.

Faulty comparison? IN your head. You were *****ing about bringing in a mediocre player and now you want to bring in a mediocre player with a huge cap? :coocoo:

Where did I say I am just going to accept a crappy DL. You don't fix a DL by bringing in another crappy DL with a huge cap. DUH!!!! You have to be smart about it. So If we bring in McFarland and he craps , we're stuck with him and his cap when a probowl DT is available. Again, common sense.

Like I said :wail: for the sake of :wail:

OpIv37
10-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Like I said :wail: for the sake of :wail:

yeah, you're right. Our DL blows and the FO isn't doing anything about it. I'm :wail: for the sake of :wail:. After all, why would any fan WANT this team to be able to stop the run? It's just so FUN watching the Lions rack up 130 yards on the ground against us!

justasportsfan
10-19-2006, 09:41 AM
yeah, you're right. Our DL blows and the FO isn't doing anything about it. I'm :wail: for the sake of :wail:. After all, why would any fan WANT this team to be able to stop the run? It's just so FUN watching the Lions rack up 130 yards on the ground against us!
Are you blind? They brought in Tripplett and drafted Mcargo and Kyle Williams. How is that "not doing anything about it" This team is young, DUH. It takes time for Rookies to adjust to the NFL and learn a new system .
And I thought FTP had no common sense.

Anyone who knows football knows that rebuilding takes time.

Bring in Mcfarland. Ha. *****ing about bringing in a mediocre player and then wants to bring in another one. Look, I'm not gonna turn this into another debate all day. Arguing with you lately is like aguing with FTP.

OpIv37
10-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Are you blind? They brought in Tripplett and drafted Mcargo and Kyle Williams. How is that "not doing anything about it" This team is young, DUH. It takes time for Rookies to adjust to the NFL and learn a new system .
And I thought FTP had no common sense.

Anyone who knows football knows that rebuilding takes time.

Bring in Mcfarland. Ha. *****ing about bringing in a mediocre player and then wants to bring in another one. Look, I'm not gonna turn this into another debate all day. Arguing with you lately is like aguing with FTP.

Once again, you're convinced that every position is the same.

We had mediocre receivers when we signed Price. Mediocre DT's are an improvement over what we have.

And the FO addressed the DL in the off-season- it didn't work. So if they have an opportunity to make it better, why are you opposed to taking it?

justasportsfan
10-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Once again, you're convinced that every position is the same.

We had mediocre receivers when we signed Price. Mediocre DT's are an improvement over what we have.

And the FO addressed the DL in the off-season- it didn't work. So if they have an opportunity to make it better, why are you opposed to taking it?

If you can't see that it's not about the position , like I said, it's like arguing with FTP.

If we bring in a mediocre DT and tie the cap, once a probowl DT is available we can't afford him because we already tied it up with the mediocre DT you brought in. A mediocre DT won't fix the DL.

There's also the LT or OL. You are b1tching about that too. Do you think we have a ton of cap to sign every position you are whining about?

You're way of thinking by bringing in mediocre players with huge cap stinks. If you arern't willing to wait for guys like Kyle Williams to develop or wait for a better DT to come along , let's not even draft anyone. Let's just trade away our draft picks for high priced mediocre players and then whine again when things aren't working. Great plan OP. :coocoo:

OpIv37
10-19-2006, 10:17 AM
If you can't see that it's not about the position , like I said, it's like arguing with FTP.

If we bring in a mediocre DT and tie the cap, once a probowl DT is available we can't afford him because we already tied it up with the mediocre DT you brought in. A mediocre DT won't fix the DL.

There's also the LT or OL. You are b1tching about that too. Do you think we have a ton of cap to sign every position you are whining about?

You're way of thinking by bringing in mediocre players with huge cap stinks. If you arern't willing to wait for guys like Kyle Williams to develop or wait for a better DT to come along , let's not even draft anyone. Let's just trade away our draft picks for high priced mediocre players and then whine again when things aren't working. Great plan OP. :coocoo:

Yeah, you're right- it's much better to have 0 chance at winning cuz we can't stop the run.

And weren't you the one who was opposed to high priced FA's in the off season? but now you're saying we need to save cap space for a pro bowl DT? I thought high priced FA's didn't help. I thought that was Donahoe's method that got us in this situation in the first place.

Make up your damn mind.

patmoran2006
10-19-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm not convinced that as he gets more experience, the guy we really need to make the DL stronger isn't already in a Bills uniform.

Kyle Williams.

kernowboy
10-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Agreed Pat, the only knock on him is size so we might do well by drafting another NT in the middle of next years draft.

OpIv37
10-19-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm not convinced that as he gets more experience, the guy we really need to make the DL stronger isn't already in a Bills uniform.

Kyle Williams.

Williams has a lot of potential and he could be a great one.

But I'm convinced that he can't do it by himself. Even if he turns out to be excellent, if we're going to run a 4 man rotation we're going to need at least one DT that's not already on the roster to make this work.

justasportsfan
10-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Yeah, you're right- it's much better to have 0 chance at winning cuz we can't stop the run.

And weren't you the one who was opposed to high priced FA's in the off season? but now you're saying we need to save cap space for a pro bowl DT? I thought high priced FA's didn't help. I thought that was Donahoe's method that got us in this situation in the first place.

Make up your damn mind.
that's a joke. You *****ed about a mediocre player and want to bring in another mediocre player. You're the one who's confused.

Anyone who knows football knows that bringing in a mediocre DT isn't gonna fix this ol. Will it improve, maybe slightly but not enough to be dominant. Besides, tell us in your infinite whining wisdom, what makes you so sure that MCfarland will pan out here? I don't care if Anderson stinks, at least we're not paying him the cap that MCfarland carries. What are your qualifications compared to Jauron and Kollar? NONE. NADA.

I wasn't opposed to bringing in high priced FA's as long as we could afford it and we're not overpaying . This is why I am against signing a mediocre DT with a huge cap.

OpIv37
10-19-2006, 10:30 AM
that's a joke. You *****ed about a mediocre player and want to bring in another mediocre player. You're the one who's confused.

Anyone who knows football knows that bringing in a mediocre DT isn't gonna fix this ol. Will it improve, maybe slightly but not enough to be dominant. Besides, tell us in your infinite whining wisdom, what makes you so sure that MCfarland will pan out here? I don't care if Anderson stinks, at least we're not paying him the cap that MCfarland carries. What are your qualifications compared to Jauron and Kollar? NONE. NADA.

I wasn't opposed to bringing in high priced FA's as long as we could afford it and we're not overpaying . This is why I am against signing a mediocre DT with a huge cap.

I *****ed about a mediocre player for a position where we already have mediocre players. Everyone except you can see the difference between that and a position where mediocre players are an improvement.

And if I'm not qualified to comment because I'm not Jauron or Kollar, what's the point of this message board? I guess none of us are qualified to comment on anything except how much we love the Bills. That sounds like a great message board :rolleyes:

Oh, and last time I checked, your last name isn't Levy or Modrak. What expertise do you have to discuss McFarland's cap ramifications?

justasportsfan
10-19-2006, 10:31 AM

But I'm convinced that he can't do it by himself. Even if he turns out to be excellent, if we're going to run a 4 man rotation we're going to need at least one DT that's not already on the roster to make this work.So what do you do, bring in a mediocre DT with a huge cap? That's stupid. If Kyle Williams turns out to be a stud, we have tied up the cap that could've been used on an LT. But by your logic, it's too late, we've already overpaid for a DT that got beat by Kyle Williams.

:coocoo:

OpIv37
10-19-2006, 10:33 AM
So what do you do, bring in a mediocre DT with a huge cap? That's stupid. If Kyle Williams turns out to be a stud, we have tied up the cap that could've been used on an LT. But by your logic, it's too late, we've already overpaid for a DT that got beat by Kyle Williams.

:coocoo:

Is your last name Levy or Modrak? Where do you get off making judgements on salary cap ramifications?

patmoran2006
10-19-2006, 10:33 AM

But I'm convinced that he can't do it by himself. Even if he turns out to be excellent, if we're going to run a 4 man rotation we're going to need at least one DT that's not already on the roster to make this work.
I agree..

But the difference between needing another DT for the rotation, and needing a DT as the biggest priority in the off-season are two different things.

Needing a DT for a solid four man rotation could mean a low-key FA move, or a mid-round draft pick. Needing a DT has your starter and anchor means opening up the vault for a free agent, or using your 1st round pick on one.

To be honest, I'd rather spend/invest big time in a dominating DE than a starter to knock Williams on the bench next year.

justasportsfan
10-19-2006, 10:34 AM
I *****ed about a mediocre player for a position where we already have mediocre players. Everyone except you can see the difference between that and a position where mediocre players are an improvement.
Okay let's talk about the DT and forget Price. You still want us to bring a DT who might not even be better than Kyle Williams but has a huge cap? Once he's here and is a waste of cap , you'd be b1tching again.

Once he ties up the cap and we can't afford better OL players you'd be b!tching again.

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Booger would have easily upgraded our DL, and he was easily worth our 3rd rounder. Indy is just desperate for a DT, since Simon is as good as done. Its a shame really, our 2nd is worth more than Booger, our 3rd is too little.. Seeing as how Indy's 2nd pick is more like a very early 3rd round pick.

OpIv37
10-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Okay let's talk about the DT and forget Price. You still want us to bring a DT who might not even be better than Kyle Williams but has a huge cap? Once he's here and is a waste of cap , you'd be b1tching again.

Once he ties up the cap and we can't afford better OL players you'd be b!tching again.

right, because it's impossible to cut him if he's not worth his cap, or restructure his contract. And the Bills are in terrible cap shape :rolleyes:

Seems to me there are plenty of ways to make it work.

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2006, 10:38 AM
right, because it's impossible to cut him if he's not worth his cap, or restructure his contract. And the Bills are in terrible cap shape :rolleyes:

Seems to me there are plenty of ways to make it work.
It would have worked out cap-wise. We just got out bidded, it was a really sticky situation. We would of had to overpay in order to out bid Indy.

justasportsfan
10-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Is your last name Levy or Modrak? Where do you get off making judgements on salary cap ramifications?

McFarland deal all about a lack of production
Forget that McFarland was supposed to replace Warren Sapp, and that the Bucs paid McFarland $31 million to that effect.

DUH!!!

patmoran2006
10-19-2006, 10:40 AM
I would've given up a 3rd for him.. Not a second though

Not with so many other needs and the likely-hood of a high pick in the draft.

Booger wasn't worth a top ten pick in the second round.. that would have been hasty IMO

OpIv37
10-19-2006, 10:42 AM
DUH!!!

I see, so when the so called media "experts" rip on Marv's draft, they have no credibility because if they did, they'd be working for NFL teams.

But when the so called media "experts" say McFarland lacks productivity, its perfectly legitimate?

Once again, make up your mind. Seems to me the media has credibility with you when they agree with Marv but lack credibility when they rip on Marv.

justasportsfan

Seems to me there are plenty of ways to make it work.you're talking about things that coulda, shoulda, woulda. Playing Ms. Cleo all over again and dong a stinking job at it.

Talk facts. he has a 31 million prorated cap that you inherit if you trade for him .

PECKERWOOD
I would've given up a 3rd for him.. Not a second though

Not with so many other needs and the likely-hood of a high pick in the draft.

Booger wasn't worth a top ten pick in the second round.. that would have been hasty IMO
Precisely. We would of had to give up Clements for Boogie. I'm not sure that would of been a great idea, because that would be just totally giving up on this season and would send a wrong message out to the players. Furthermore, I wouldnt be totally against re-signing Clements, unless their is a better free agent available, more worth the weight.

OpIv37
10-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Precisely. We would of had to give up Clements for Boogie. I'm not sure that would of been a great idea, because that would be just totally giving up on this season and would send a wrong message out to the players. Furthermore, I wouldnt be totally against re-signing Clements, unless their is a better free agent available, more worth the weight.

how is fixing the DL and getting something for a player that we're going to lose anyway "giving up on the season"?

justasportsfan
10-19-2006, 10:45 AM
I see, so when the so called media "experts" rip on Marv's draft, they have no credibility because if they did, they'd be working for NFL teams.

But when the so called media "experts" say McFarland lacks productivity, its perfectly legitimate?

Once again, make up your mind. Seems to me the media has credibility with you when they agree with Marv but lack credibility when they rip on Marv.

Switching subjects? Comparing drafts with a player that already been in the league for years? Dumber by the post.

Haha! That's like comparing Price with a DT. Oh wait! :rolleyes:

OpIv37
10-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Switching subjects? Comparing drafts with a player that already been in the league for years? Dumber by the post.

Haha! That's like comparing Price with a DT. Oh wait! :rolleyes:

YOU'RE the one that compared Price to a DT. I'm the one who was saying it was different situations. Oh wait! :rolleyes:

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2006, 10:49 AM
how is fixing the DL and getting something for a player that we're going to lose anyway "giving up on the season"?
Because without Clements back there, were as good as dead. He is under appreciated by many folks here, and is one of the solid veterans on this team. He deserves 5-10 CB money and a nice signing bonus. He has been underpaid the past couple seasons so he is just disgruntled right now.. Marv knows if Clements got a fair deal, he would be back to the premier player he used to be.

OpIv37
10-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Because without Clements back there, were as good as dead. He is under appreciated by many folks here, and is one of the solid veterans on this team. He deserves 5-10 CB money and a nice signing bonus. He has been underpaid the past couple seasons so he is just disgruntled right now.. Marv knows if Clements got a fair deal, he would be back to the premier player he used to be.

I'm not so sure on Clements. Last year could have been a contract year, as is this year. And he's looked pretty awful for the last two seasons.

I'm starting to wonder if he was never really that good and just a product of the Bills' excellent overall D in 03 and 04.

patmoran2006
10-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Marv's earned my trust with the draft.. I would've hated to lose a second rounder for a guy becoming known for underachieving..

(and I do love Whitner, but think we will live to regret not taking Cutler).

And from what little I seen and what LOT I've read, McCargo was really making strides before getting hurt.

Mitchy moo
10-19-2006, 10:52 AM

Bufffever = clements. Spend more time in the gym and on the field and less time here, lol.

patmoran2006
10-19-2006, 10:54 AM
When you factor in salary, I think Clements it the most overated player on the entire team.

Winfield was head and shoulders a better CB, and despite him looking bad the past few weeks, Im not sure McGee isn't as good as him either. I find it really weird that week after week this season, McGee is on the team's best WR while Clements is covering the #2.

I think at least to some degree Clements was the beneficiary of a great pass rush in year's past. Even during his hey day, almost all of Clement's INT's came against MIami.

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Bufffever = clements. Spend more time in the gym and on the field and less time here, lol.
Haha, I wish I was Clements.. That 7.1 million 1 year deal sounds good to me!

But honestly, if we could wrap up Clements for the long term we would be set at secondary for a LONG time. Clements, McGee, Whitner and hopefully Youboty would develop too. I thought we should get rid of Clements too for a while, but now Im starting to think otherwise.. Why are we spending time developing CB's just to draft another and develop them all over again? Clements is 26, he is about to enter his prime years at CB. We have a lot of cap space, I'm not sure why its such a bad idea.

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2006, 10:59 AM
When you factor in salary, I think Clements it the most overated player on the entire team.

Winfield was head and shoulders a better CB, and despite him looking bad the past few weeks, Im not sure McGee isn't as good as him either. I find it really weird that week after week this season, McGee is on the team's best WR while Clements is covering the #2.

I think at least to some degree Clements was the beneficiary of a great pass rush in year's past. Even during his hey day, almost all of Clement's INT's came against MIami.

Our DL is getting no pressure on the QB, yet were still ranked #6 pass defense as of last week. That leads me to believe our secondary has been playing superb. The more I think about it, the better keeping Clements sounds. I really hope we lock him up. Its about time we start spending big money on our superstars.

ublinkwescore
10-19-2006, 11:08 AM
this thread is making my head hurt.

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2006, 11:09 AM
this thread is making my head hurt.
Thats good, it means your brain is growing. =)