PDA

View Full Version : Just a question about the OLine.

Inetpub
10-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Everyone here likes to blame our Oline and rightfully so. They arent the greatest. The thing about our OLine excuse is that the excuse is used too often. If we have had such a bad OL for years and years, why havent they address this previously? We never seem to find the right combo of players? Why is it that every coach that comes in here does nothing about our OL being so horrendous? Do the coaches see things differently than us that they are trying to save a buck? Are the players just not performing to thier best in gametime? Is Ralph that cheap about the OL?

Give me thoughts on why we havent found an OLine in 5+years...

alohabillsfan
10-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Heres my take

1) 5 years ago we where going to be smash mouth blah blah blah and we bring in the wrong talent FAT M WILLIAMS AND we convert an avg tackle (tegue) into a center ===FAILED.

2) 3 Years ago same blah blah crap and bring in road graders Bennie Gandy (former guard) etc.. Again conversion failed!

3) Now we have a center may not be pro bowl but servicable, LG who I like, RT who I like RG needs to retire and LT needs a new team preferably within the AFCE!!

4) And finally why are Oline sucks is our owner is a cheap *****, and if he wants to prove me wrong get us a LT (Davis) and a RG.

THATHURMANATOR
10-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Everyone here likes to blame our Oline and rightfully so. They arent the greatest. The thing about our OLine excuse is that the excuse is used too often. If we have had such a bad OL for years and years, why havent they address this previously? We never seem to find the right combo of players? Why is it that every coach that comes in here does nothing about our OL being so horrendous? Do the coaches see things differently than us that they are trying to save a buck? Are the players just not performing to thier best in gametime? Is Ralph that cheap about the OL?

That Fat Douche Mike Williams really set us back. If he was half as good as advertised we would be in better shape.

I will also say I was wrong about Ruben Brown. They should have kept him.

patmoran2006
10-19-2006, 11:00 AM

1- Bad drafting and GM decisions when it came to this unit. Williams ahead of McKinnie was a disaster. Teague (and now Fowler) are not strong enough to be good centers. Reyes, Bennie Anderson and Gandy are marginal starters at best. This unit was always neglected.

2- That being said, this O Line is not as bad as everyone thinks and is used as a scapegoat way too much. Well, lets put it this way, they are not even CLOSE to being the worse O Line in the NFL. Sure, we need improving, but there are plenty of others in worse shape than us here.

A couple of the teams we already played this year have worse lines. Miami's is awful, Detroit's is awful (and injured as well).. the Jets will eventually have a great line but they're not any good now... That's half the teams we played this year already.

Tampa Bay, Green Bay, Houston, Arizona and San Francisco are just a few other examples of teams with HORRIBLE offensive line.

The problem is everyone likes to convienantly blame everything on the line..

HOw about the fact we have a RB who at times would rather dance around than hit the hole hard (One of the few things Mularkey was ever right about)

How about the fact we have a QB how at times is just plain ole CLUELESS, and holds the ball so long he makes Bledsoe look like Marino when it comes to getting rid of the ball.

How about the fact we have WR other than Evans that really struggle at getting open.

Dont get me wrong, our O Line is a clear weakness, but there are more than just a handful of teams that have it worse.

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2006, 11:50 AM
1- Bad drafting and GM decisions when it came to this unit. Williams ahead of McKinnie was a disaster. Teague (and now Fowler) are not strong enough to be good centers. Reyes, Bennie Anderson and Gandy are marginal starters at best. This unit was always neglected.

2- That being said, this O Line is not as bad as everyone thinks and is used as a scapegoat way too much. Well, lets put it this way, they are not even CLOSE to being the worse O Line in the NFL. Sure, we need improving, but there are plenty of others in worse shape than us here.

A couple of the teams we already played this year have worse lines. Miami's is awful, Detroit's is awful (and injured as well).. the Jets will eventually have a great line but they're not any good now... That's half the teams we played this year already.

Tampa Bay, Green Bay, Houston, Arizona and San Francisco are just a few other examples of teams with HORRIBLE offensive line.

HOw about the fact we have a RB who at times would rather dance around than hit the hole hard (One of the few things Mularkey was ever right about)

How about the fact we have a QB how at times is just plain ole CLUELESS, and holds the ball so long he makes Bledsoe look like Marino when it comes to getting rid of the ball.

How about the fact we have WR other than Evans that really struggle at getting open.

Dont get me wrong, our O Line is a clear weakness, but there are more than just a handful of teams that have it worse.

Arizona is pretty good at pass protection, but really suck run blocking.. San francisco, I think their OL isnt really that bad anymore. They signed some good players, and Gore is having a great season behind their line.

ScottLawrence
10-19-2006, 11:57 AM

Exactly....Although I disagree when it comes to Fowler, he is the best Center we've had in a while....Fowler is strong enough to take on the bigger DT's, and agile enough to take on the quicker ones.

kernowboy
10-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Detroit don't have such a bad line but have been plagued by injuries.
After Williams, Donahue seemed to focus purely on skills players. There was a thinking that if Denver can get a lot of low round choices to work we could get away with it. The difference is that Denver have a particular system and can sign players as these guys are unlikely to be drafted by anyone else so do get them low. And we pick plays from R5 down and then block their progress with an overpaid and underperforming FA. After drafting Preston what were they thinking with Bennie Anderson.

A more relevant example might be the Steelers. Lets have a look at their line:
Marvel Smith R2
Alan Faneca R1
Jeff Hartings FA (drafted in R1)
Kendall Simmons R1
Max Starks R3

the Jags have a decent line and they have 3xR2 choices, a R3 and a FA who was oringinally R1.

Even some of the best lines quoted have at least one R1 choice like Foster at Denver and Glenn at the Colts. And all of the teams have

We have 2xR5 (Villarial, Reyes), 2x R3(Fowler, Gandy) and a OFA. None of our players were even drafted by us and are the cast offs from others. Hell Gandy and Peters didnt even play their current positions when they came into the league with Gandy being a college guard and Peters a TE.

You basically get what you pay for. We need to not only draft linemen but also properly play them. Preston needs to start. Butler needs to start

ICE74129
10-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Detroit don't have such a bad line but have been plagued by injuries.
After Williams, Donahue seemed to focus purely on skills players. There was a thinking that if Denver can get a lot of low round choices to work we could get away with it. The difference is that Denver have a particular system and can sign players as these guys are unlikely to be drafted by anyone else so do get them low. And we pick plays from R5 down and then block their progress with an overpaid and underperforming FA. After drafting Preston what were they thinking with Bennie Anderson.

A more relevant example might be the Steelers. Lets have a look at their line:
Marvel Smith R2
Alan Faneca R1
Jeff Hartings FA (drafted in R1)
Kendall Simmons R1
Max Starks R3

the Jags have a decent line and they have 3xR2 choices, a R3 and a FA who was oringinally R1.

Even some of the best lines quoted have at least one R1 choice like Foster at Denver and Glenn at the Colts. And all of the teams have

We have 2xR5 (Villarial, Reyes), 2x R3(Fowler, Gandy) and a OFA. None of our players were even drafted by us and are the cast offs from others. Hell Gandy and Peters didnt even play their current positions when they came into the league with Gandy being a college guard and Peters a TE.

You basically get what you pay for. We need to not only draft linemen but also properly play them. Preston needs to start. Butler needs to start

Exactly. Its way past time to put a top line together. Stop with the low round picks and UFA's and castoffs from other teams. Start paying for and drafting top talent.