• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Quarterbacks are Over-rated

Quarterback is the most insignificant position in team sports because no other position in any other sport requires the same reliance on teammates as a QB. All other individual sports, and all other positions in football, require a talent level that places the individual's ability to perform or succeed entirely on that individual's shoulders, and theirs alone.

QB's can't achieve any level of success without the assistance of others. They need help from the offensive line, the WR's, the RB, even the defense and the coaching staff. Without this help they are worthless. All other positions on a football team place the individual player in situations where their success depends solely on their skills and their ability to 'beat' the person opposite them. WR's succeed when they beat the d-back trying to cover them. Once the ball is in the air, if it's tight coverage or a poorly thrown ball, the responsibility becomes solely that receiver's to use his skills to make the play work. Even if he's wide open, once the ball is thrown it's completely his talents that determine whether the play is a success or not.

An offensive lineman can succeed by dominating his opponent. A running back can succeed by out-running, out-maneuvering, or out-muscling the defender...one-on-one. Individual defensive players can succeed by shutting down the player opposite them.

Hell, even in baseball and hockey the success of the team depends on the combined successes of the individuals. Fielders are all alone when the ball is hit to them, and it's on their own shoulders whether or not they field the ball cleanly and make the play. While in the batting box, it's one-on-one...the hitter's skills versus the pitcher's. In hockey, it's one man's slap shot against another man's ability to stop the puck.

Quarterbacks can't complete a pass without relying on the talent level of the offensive linemen blocking for him or the receiver he's throwing the ball to being able to catch it. They're completely at the mercy of those around them and rely on their support to get by. If the players on a football team were redefined by socio-economic standards, the other ten players would be classified as part of the working class....QB's would be third-generation welfare recipients.

Too much is made of a QB's skill level, physical abilities, or contributions to the success of a football team...all that really means very little...it's actually the players surrounding the QB that determine the team's success. The QB is just along for the ride. All they have to do is not screw up or consistently make mistakes and let the rest of the player's talents carry him along to wins.

Leadership is the only quality that a QB must have in order to have any significant impact on the success of the team...and that has little to do with any of that individual's physical skills. Even the outcome of the QB's leadership ability still depends on the talents of those around him. A QB can 'rally the troops' all he likes, but if the other players don't succeed, neither does he.

No position in any sport is more over-valued, over-rated, and over-paid than a football QB.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: Quarterbacks are Over-rated

Originally posted by YardRat
    Quarterback is the most insignificant position in team sports because no other position in any other sport requires the same reliance on teammates as a QB. All other individual sports, and all other positions in football, require a talent level that places the individual's ability to perform or succeed entirely on that individual's shoulders, and theirs alone.

QB's can't achieve any level of success without the assistance of others. They need help from the offensive line, the WR's, the RB, even the defense and the coaching staff. Without this help they are worthless. All other positions on a football team place the individual player in situations where their success depends solely on their skills and their ability to 'beat' the person opposite them. WR's succeed when they beat the d-back trying to cover them. Once the ball is in the air, if it's tight coverage or a poorly thrown ball, the responsibility becomes solely that receiver's to use his skills to make the play work. Even if he's wide open, once the ball is thrown it's completely his talents that determine whether the play is a success or not.

An offensive lineman can succeed by dominating his opponent. A running back can succeed by out-running, out-maneuvering, or out-muscling the defender...one-on-one. Individual defensive players can succeed by shutting down the player opposite them.

Hell, even in baseball and hockey the success of the team depends on the combined successes of the individuals. Fielders are all alone when the ball is hit to them, and it's on their own shoulders whether or not they field the ball cleanly and make the play. While in the batting box, it's one-on-one...the hitter's skills versus the pitcher's. In hockey, it's one man's slap shot against another man's ability to stop the puck.

Quarterbacks can't complete a pass without relying on the talent level of the offensive linemen blocking for him or the receiver he's throwing the ball to being able to catch it. They're completely at the mercy of those around them and rely on their support to get by. If the players on a football team were redefined by socio-economic standards, the other ten players would be classified as part of the working class....QB's would be third-generation welfare recipients.

Too much is made of a QB's skill level, physical abilities, or contributions to the success of a football team...all that really means very little...it's actually the players surrounding the QB that determine the team's success. The QB is just along for the ride. All they have to do is not screw up or consistently make mistakes and let the rest of the player's talents carry him along to wins.

Leadership is the only quality that a QB must have in order to have any significant impact on the success of the team...and that has little to do with any of that individual's physical skills. Even the outcome of the QB's leadership ability still depends on the talents of those around him. A QB can 'rally the troops' all he likes, but if the other players don't succeed, neither does he.

No position in any sport is more over-valued, over-rated, and over-paid than a football QB.
    Wait you mean its a team game?

Fine, make sure your here reminding everyone that the last loss (whenever that is) was a team loss and wasnt JP's fault.

The TEAM isnt good enough to go anywhere, thats a fact.

Now, can we win with Losman? Yes, I think so. I think we are a stud LT, a [will get yards every game] RB, and another stud WR away from plenty of wins.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
      • Apr 2004

The QB handles the ball on every offensive down. I don't think that can be considered insignificant by any stretch of the imagination. A QB needs to know the assignments of every player on the offense. He has to understand the reasoning behind every play and recognize the defense put in front of him.
      A QB relies on everyone, but everyone relies on the QB. I don't know, but having 20 eyes looking at you in a huddle seems like a lot of pressure to me.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

We could win without Losman if we had a stud LT, a dominant RB, and another stud WR. With those three additional players, we could have plenty of wins with Nall, Holcomb...whoever.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

I'm not going to even comment on this thread, I dont feel like getting in any fights

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Actually, this thread wasn't meant to be about JP. It's about the QB position in general.

Think about it...what does a quarterback do during the course of the game that demonstrates his individual talent is necessary for success?
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
              • Apr 2004

We could win without Losman if we had a stud LT, a dominant RB, and another stud WR. With those three additional players, we could have plenty of wins with Nall, Holcomb...whoever.
              So? What does your original post have to do with Losman, specifically?

I, for one, think we would be 5-1 with Marc Bulger.

Post #2 that introduces JP into the debate does not make any point counter to the original post, either.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by andyxc71

Absolutely nothing. jp-era brought JP Losman into the conversation, not me. I'm just referring to QB's in general.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                  • Apr 2004

Absolutely nothing. jp-era brought JP Losman into the conversation, not me. I'm just referring to QB's in general.
                  I realized that too late and edited my post that is quoted above.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                    Unreachable Douche
                    • Jul 2002

Post #2 that introduces JP into the debate does not make any point counter to the original post, either.
                    I, for one, think we would be 5-1 with about 20 of the QBs in the league.

Post #2 didn't need to quote Post #1

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

There a couple of QB's in this league: McNab, Brady, Brees off the very top of my head, where we would DEFINITELY be 5-1 if they were the QB, and I'm not joking.

A good QB would've pounded on NE and the Jets, and found a way to get a win against the Lions.. Only the Bears game didnt' matter if God was quarterbacking..

Yardrat, your a very knowledgable guy and I know that you know your football better or as well as most, but this is one of the worst threads I've ever read in my entire life. There may not be another position in ALL Of sports period more important than the quarterback.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                        I, for one, think we would be 5-1 with about 20 of the QBs in the league.

Post #2 didn't need to quote Post #1
                        I think there are maybe 5 or 6 QB's that could have gotten us 5 wins.
                        P. Manning
                        Bulger
                        Hasselbeck
                        McNabb
                        Brady
                        maybe Brees

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          There a couple of QB's in this league: McNab, Brady, Brees off the very top of my head, where we would DEFINITELY be 5-1 if they were the QB, and I'm not joking.

A good QB would've pounded on NE and the Jets, and found a way to get a win against the Lions.. Only the Bears game didnt' matter if God was quarterbacking..

Yardrat, your a very knowledgable guy and I know that you know your football better or as well as most, but this is one of the worst threads I've ever read in my entire life. There may not be another position in ALL Of sports period more important than the quarterback.
                          I think the D let us down vs. NYJ, but I agree on NE and Detroit.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006

History would disagree with you. How many of the Super Bowl winning QB's were simply care-takers for a great team?

I'm still waiting for someone to point out where during the course of a game a play's success or failure is totally reliant on the QB's skills or physical abilities.

There are only two that I can think of...

1. Being able to turn 180 degrees and handing the ball off to another player without dropping it or tripping over their own feet. Big deal.

2. Running downfield and being matched up against an opposing player on a designed scramble or a run off of a broken play. And QB's aren't really supposed to do that with regularity. It's not a requirement of the position.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• ajsdx
                              • Aug 2003

The points about the QB's success relying on his teammates are well taken. The QB absolutely derives the vast majority of his success from his teammates, unless he's a running QB in which case some of his success is kind of like that of an RB.

Obviously, every position requires help from teammates, and anyone who follows football can think of examples for every position, but perhaps the QB's success is MOST linked to his teammates. So what does the QB do that makes him so valuable and overpaid?

Simple: he's the guy who distributes the ball. Take him away, and the team is crippled. You need to be gifted to be QB -- a strong arm, good accuracy, etc, but the real key is he knows what to do with the ball. He has the most responsibility of any player. No other position has to make decisions at the same level as the QB, and the decision of where to put the ball when is the most critical thing that happens on any play. So, despite his relative lack of althletic skills, he is much more valuable than you think.

Comment

Working...
                              X