PDA

View Full Version : Patience please!!

kernowboy
10-20-2006, 06:34 AM
I expect some will slate me for this post but some things need to be said.

For the last 5 years Donahoe, constructed a team that lacked proper balance (as we'd say it soccer). I'll give him his dues, we got some good draft picks in Schoebel, Clements and Evans, our share of busts in Mike Williams, some surprises like Terrance McGee, some who could still make it like JP Losman and McGahee, but more of who seem unlikely to do so like Everett, Reed, Denney, Kelsay and Tim Anderson. He did bring in some great FAs like Spikes, Fletcher-Baker and Adams, but criminally let some key players go like Pat Williams and Ruben Brown. And note these were in the not very pretty but necessary roles. And for every 'name' FA you need an in the trenches fighter which we didn't seem to go after. It was always all or nothing. We also went after rookie Head Coaches who I think lacked the ability to handle these egos.

So looking at the current situation;
The Coaches and Management
I still like to recall that Levy had a losing record when he came to us. I think Jauron is a strong character who earns players respect. I did not want to sign another rookie Head Coach. Fassell or Haslett might have been good alternatives and not Sherman. He had Favre and a great GM in Lambeau but by all accounts his man-management is non-existent. He also appears to be not a good evaluator of talent, certainly when he took over at GM.

There is a concern at rookie coordinators but then how stable would the team be with an experience coordinator hovering behind Jauron? The team could have divided into camps and totally imploded, now and in the future.
And they still might have come out against the Bears and called that fake punt that went pear-shaped. I think this is where the season turned for the worse, but I still think they deserve a chance to right the ship.

Levy had an excellent first draft with starters in Whitner, Simpson, Kyle Williams and Ellison, on the cusp with McCargo and Youboty, and at the worst, good depth with Butler, Merz and Pennington, one of whom could still make it to match day lineup and no shame himself or us.

Free Agency was poorer but we can look at Fowler and Reyes being ok, Tripplett being very poor but Pickett has not done much either, Royal being a flop, and Price being, well overpriced. Marv got a bad grade here but I am confident he will have learnt from his mistakes. His focus on the D initially told me that he reckons the first year was a reclaim and a rebuild, the second year would be a step forward, and year 3 would be when the run occured.

The offence
Evans has clearly shown he can be a number one. Losman HAS made a step forward. McGahee needs to show more. The poverty of the OL has been highlighted esp in the key LT role. How many people think that Levy/Jauron won't address the offense especially the line, in the offseason? I think we will sign or draft 3 or 4 quality players including a big No2 WR, a TE, and a LT

The defence
Transition to the Tampa2 was always going to be difficult. Rookies have a lot to learn, some old dogs can't be taught new tricks and some vets have been playing like training camp fodder. We do however have two good young safeties, a good CB, two good young LBs, a good RE, and some potential in Williams and McCargo for the future. If we can retain one of our vet LBs then we are not that far from a good D. Next year the players will have a year in the system. Hargrove might be a player as may Youboty. If not what we need are a big NT to spell Williams, a nasty LE who eats QBs, and maybe a CB and/or LB.

Apologies for my Maths but that reads 4 offence and 4 defence. If we can draft as well as last year and get our act together in FA the turnaround could happen much quicker than people think. Marv/Dick may be a little lucky in that for some key positions that we really need, there is depth in both FA and the draft and with a years more experience both the coaches and team could make it pleasant to be a Bills fan again

Night Train
10-20-2006, 06:53 AM
How dare you !

This is a well thought out, intelligent post.

Please edit to add the word " suck " 45 times and slant it harder towards the " we're doomed " angle. Then resubmit.

You've got some nerve posting this at the wailing wall.

kernowboy
10-20-2006, 08:23 AM
My apologies, shame on me