PDA

View Full Version : Coaching isn't why we're 2-4

Saratoga Slim
10-20-2006, 09:35 AM
It's way overly simplistic to pin the blame squarely on coaching for the Bills' current record, as several posters here are quite voraciously trying to do.

Even if i agreed that the coaching has been terrible thus far (which I don't), it's still only a small part of why we have a losing record. Notably, we a) have a "retread" offensive line that is not giving JP much in the way of protection and does nothing for Willis in short-yardage or red-zone situations, b) are relying on as many as 4 rookies at a time on defense, c) are implementing a defensive scheme that both takes a while to learn and which may not yet quite fit our existing personnel, and d) have a quarterback who may be improving but does not yet exactly instill fear in the hearts of defensive coordinators.

These are all pretty major issues. Look at it this way, we've been in a position to win in 5 of the 6 games we've played this year. That and some signs of progress are all that most of us were realistically hoping to see this season. Take a step back, and it's plausible to say that the coaching staff has actually done a pretty decent job thus far with what it has to work with.

In short, we've got some talent, and are not a terrible team. But some of the talent may very well be on the coaching staff. It's the absence of experience and infamiliarity with the system that's keeping the guys on the field from winning those close games. Once the players on the field catch up with the game plans, we should see marked improvement. If we don't, that's when we can start pointing fingers at the coaches.

OpIv37
10-20-2006, 09:41 AM
if we're implementing a defensive scheme that we don't have the personnel for, how is that NOT the coach's fault? Seems to me it's the coaches' jobs to make the most of what we have, and implementing a scheme for which we lack the personnel is not the way to do that.

That being said, coaching is one of many factors as to why this team is 2-4.

kernowboy
10-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Great intelligent original post. Are you sure you should be on here?

Its not as if we've been thumped in most of our games. As you say we've not been that far away. At one stage we would have had 5 rookies on the defence on the field and vets learning a new system.

If we'd been hammered in each game it would be something worth moaning about. A lot of people thought Jauron coached well to keep us so close against the Pats in the opener. Things have gone done hill since the fake punt call at the Bears but it can be turned around.

I think we must realise we had so many gaps at the start of the season it couldn't be fixed straight away

patmoran2006
10-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Slim.

Good post.. Its not just coaching.. Its a lot of reasons why we are 2-4, with the BIGGEST reason being this team simply doesnt know how to win yet.

A team with more veteran leadership (or just better leadership period) would've beat NE, the Jets and Detroit.. We could EASILY be 5-1 right now, thats the frustrating part.

Saratoga Slim
10-20-2006, 10:37 AM
if we're implementing a defensive scheme that we don't have the personnel for, how is that NOT the coach's fault? Seems to me it's the coaches' jobs to make the most of what we have, and implementing a scheme for which we lack the personnel is not the way to do that.

That being said, coaching is one of many factors as to why this team is 2-4.

I didn't mean that Jauron imposed a system on personnel who couldn't run it. What I meant was that we're a few players (at least one solid DT, an improvement at LE) away from being able to run the new system impressively. Jauron took over one of the worst defenses in the league last year and decided that a systemic change was in order. Clearly the offseason moves were calculated to get the players in that we needed to run the new defense. And I think we're almost there, barring any big subtractions from the linebacker corps over the offseason. But the few remaining holes may be the difference between the defense we have on the field now (which is right in the middle of the NFL pack) and one which can truly excel. That'll take another offseason.

your second point was pretty much MY point. the staff can't be absolved of all blame for the way things are going, but we have to take a comprehensive view of things and realize that if we want to toss blame around already, there should be a lot of targets, not just one.

Saratoga Slim
10-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Slim.

Good post.. Its not just coaching.. Its a lot of reasons why we are 2-4, with the BIGGEST reason being this team simply doesnt know how to win yet.

A team with more veteran leadership (or just better leadership period) would've beat NE, the Jets and Detroit.. We could EASILY be 5-1 right now, thats the frustrating part.

I hear you. You look at what the Saints have done, even with some major personnel holes on their defense, and it is frustrating to think that we could so easily be at 3-3, 4-2 or even 5-1. The difference might be great coaching by Sean Payton, but it just as likely is veteran leadership on the field. Drew Brees may not be Joe Montana, but he is doing a helluva job of running that offense, and thus they're pulling out tight games.

jmb1099
10-20-2006, 02:45 PM
brees had a lot of growing pains as I remember.