What we also need is a TE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What we also need is a TE

It seems to me that all great teams have a good to stellar TE. The Broncos had Sharpe, the Pats have Graham and Watson, the Seahawks have Stevens, and last year the Steelers had Miller.

Whilst a great TE, doesn't make a good team it is an essential component, and considering my limited knowledge of your game, a big and often imposing target serves as a QB outlet, especially one who is continually being harassed.

We have Robert Royal. Backing him up is Kevin Everett. Having had Pete Metzellars I am very disappointed in Marv let things slip here. Royal has shown he's not as good a blocker as originally thought and a catch a game is inadequate.

Despite spending a lot in FA to get Royal, we need to go back and seriously upgrade this position in the offseason either in FA with Dan Graham or Jeramy Stevens or in the draft with Greg Olsen, Zach Miller, Joe Newton, Matt Spaeth, Clark Harris or Matt Herian.

I'd also like to see a 2nd WR, of a minimum 6ft3 210lbs

Whoever is QB next season, lets at least give him some damn targets beyond a Lee Evans fighting double and triple coverage

Discuss
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: What we also need is a TE

Originally posted by kernowboy
    It seems to me that all great teams have a good to stellar TE. The Broncos had Sharpe, the Pats have Graham and Watson, the Seahawks have Stevens, and last year the Steelers had Miller.

Whilst a great TE, doesn't make a good team it is an essential component, and considering my limited knowledge of your game, a big and often imposing target serves as a QB outlet, especially one who is continually being harassed.

We have Robert Royal. Backing him up is Kevin Everett. Having had Pete Metzellars I am very disappointed in Marv let things slip here. Royal has shown he's not as good a blocker as originally thought and a catch a game is inadequate.

Despite spending a lot in FA to get Royal, we need to go back and seriously upgrade this position in the offseason either in FA with Dan Graham or Jeramy Stevens or in the draft with Greg Olsen, Zach Miller, Joe Newton, Matt Spaeth, Clark Harris or Matt Herian.

I'd also like to see a 2nd WR, of a minimum 6ft3 210lbs

Whoever is QB next season, lets at least give him some damn targets beyond a Lee Evans fighting double and triple coverage

Discuss
    Agreed. A TE can be a qb's best friend. We've lacked a good TE for a long time.
    I'd rather have Graham over Stevens simply because Stevens has a pair of inconsistent hands. Either Everett shows something the rest of the way, or there's going to be a rookie replacing him next season.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

how dare you criticize Marv- he can't fix all this team's problem in one off season! He got us two rookie safeties- what more do you want

(sarcasm off)

A strong receiving TE would decrease the need for a true #2 WR (we have Evans then a bunch of #3's trying to be #2's)- since this team has a ton of needs, being able to postpone the need for a #2 WR will allow us to address other needs in the off-season. JP needs a good dump-off option at the TE position, particularly one who can get YAC. I'm so sick of Bills TE's not even being able to fight through one tackle attempt by a CB that weighs 75 pounds less than they do.

As far as your #2 receiver, Jeff Smardzija from ND would be a good option if he's available in the draft. He's like 6'5", has great hands, and can break tackles.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Good post.

I think the FO felt that Everett was going to develop into this guy.. Obviously he hasnt. Royal has been less than impresssive, and thats being generous.

Id really like to start seeing them use Everett more. Lord knows he cant block so if he cant get open and catch passes, he doesnt belong in the league.

I think a good TE is even MORE important with a young qb.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Originally posted by OpIv37
          how dare you criticize Marv- he can't fix all this team's problem in one off season! He got us two rookie safeties- what more do you want

(sarcasm off)

A strong receiving TE would decrease the need for a true #2 WR (we have Evans then a bunch of #3's trying to be #2's)- since this team has a ton of needs, being able to postpone the need for a #2 WR will allow us to address other needs in the off-season. JP needs a good dump-off option at the TE position, particularly one who can get YAC. I'm so sick of Bills TE's not even being able to fight through one tackle attempt by a CB that weighs 75 pounds less than they do.

As far as your #2 receiver, Jeff Smardzija from ND would be a good option if he's available in the draft. He's like 6'5", has great hands, and can break tackles.
          I don't think Smardzija is going to be available for us to want to pick as we need to look at LT in either the 1st or 2nd. We may need to go LB or DT early as well, the latter if only to have a proper rotation.

If we can't get a TE in FA and Stevens, and Graham will be popular, I would seriously consider Whiford of the Jags. The Jags have three big possession receivers and as Jones and Williams are no1s, I think the Jags will go for a speedster early here in the draft, and I think Wilford will get released even though he's restricted. He'd only cost a 4th if he wasn't, we wouldn't need to spend big and as a part-timer his performance has been good to date. He'd jump at being a No2 and at 6ft4, 223lbs described on TSN as an excellent blocker with sneaky spped.

At TE, I quite like Matt Herian of Nebraska. A medical redshirt, he's got a great rep as a reciever, and his redshirt was because of broken bones not ligament damage. Speak to any medic and the latter is often the worse problem. He'd be available in the middle of the draft.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
            Defies all logic
            • Oct 2006

Smardzija, I dont think he will be a first rounder.. Maybe a 2nd? We may be able to get him in the 3rd round..

Comment

• bigbub2352
              • Feb 2005

i have been crying for this with many posts, TE is not your 6th Olineman anymore, and you are right oin the money with Robert Royal not as good as advertised, he has not been at all what he was supposed to be, and what they tried to make him sound like in training camp, Everett looks like an underutilized player with bust potential, he needs to get the ball and we can see what he can do, but drafting and signing a TE should be a priority it is said to say our only TE with a touchdown is Ryan ****ing Nuefeld
              XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                Roways rooking ahread!
                • Sep 2005

You have to throw to the TE's for them to be great, that isn't happening.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

it's really a luxury to have a big TE that can go down the field and make a catch but everyone needs a TE that can step out and make a catch. I'm not sure we don't have that since JP hasn't really gotten to where he can get through his reads and throw that pass and he can't throw a designed pass in the flats. I don't really understand how people can't see this and keep saying it's the weapons he has.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                    • Feb 2005

i agree scooby and that is the QB and the offensive cordinators problem the play calling thus far has reminded me of a certain someone who quit on this team MM
                    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
                      Closet Bills Fan
                      • Nov 2004

isn't szmardija also a baseball player....... who if he doesnt get a decent pick plan on playing that instead...........

j-e-t-s
                      jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
                        Closet Bills Fan
                        • Nov 2004

as long as the TE has decent hands and can block like a brick wall, any team can find that useful, and like posters above stated, it will give whomever is qbing more time.... another target, and will help the running game.....

j-e-t-s
                        jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

Agreed

I think we have WRs who are all the same size, a TE who has not real record of being a receiver and has paid poorly as a blocker and another TE who will be a bust. With a wonderlic score of 13 I'm surprised we went for Everett. Another great selection Tom

If the damn TE, can't block, I am least want to as a receiving option. Robert bless seems lost in this role, so if we can't pick up one of the top FAs in this position, we use the draft. And I think Matt Herian could fall into our laps.

I'm a little tired of drafting fancy players from Florida, Texas and California who turn their noses up at Buffalo. Lets see if we can get a blue collar player who knows what its like to play in the cold.

Comment

Working...
                          X