PDA

View Full Version : Introducing the QB of the future?

kernowboy
10-20-2006, 10:55 AM
I will get slatted by the lovers and haters for this.

The QB of the future is ..................... Kyle Wright

Taken by Buffalo Bills around the 20-24th in Round 1 of 2008 draft

A Miami Hurricane alumini ( we have done well there ), Kyle overcame his initial inconsistency yet impressive numbers to cement his rep of having been one of the countrys top prep QBs.

Noted for his strong arm, prototype size (6ft4, 220lbs) surprising mobility and leadership Kyle suffered from the run on QBs in 2007 leaving few teams needing QBs.

The Bills were considered to have made a steal having stayed still in the draft having made the playoffs with a 10-6 season as an only marginally altered line with a new LT, and a thoroughly improved Tamp2 defence finally clicked.

The only sour note was that JP Losman had finally started to play up to his potential after Marv had drafted along the trenches in 2007 and made some astute offensive weapon signings. However due to the unrelenting abuse he had received in his first 3 years, he decided to test free agency and was signed by the Saints after Brees gammy shoulder blew up

ICE74129
10-20-2006, 11:02 AM

A Miami Hurricane alumini ( we have done well there ), Kyle overcame his initial inconsistency yet impressive numbers to cement his rep of having been one of the countrys top prep QBs.

Noted for his strong arm, prototype size (6ft4, 220lbs) surprising mobility and leadership Kyle suffered from the run on QBs in 2007 leaving few teams needing QBs.

The Bills were considered to have made a steal having stayed still in the draft having made the playoffs with a 10-6 season as an only marginally altered line with a new LT, and a thoroughly improved Tamp2 defence finally clicked.

The only sour note was that JP Losman had finally started to play up to his potential after Marv had drafted along the trenches in 2007 and made some astute offensive weapon signings. However due to the unrelenting abuse he had received in his first 3 years, he decided to test free agency and was signed by the Saints after Brees gammy shoulder blew up

Thats ****ing brilliant. so we draft a QB in 08 which means in 2010 he will be ready to go just as the other players we have had here are gone.

kernowboy
10-20-2006, 11:11 AM
I just think this

I'll give JP 2007. I'll give him an OL. I'll give him a TE that is better than the idiots we have. I'll give him a No2 receiver who is not a mini-me.

If he can't do it by then, then we draft a QB Round 1 no questions asked.

What I am concerned about is that he will be aware of the constant abuse he gets here, and he'll just think "F**k the Bills" and will head off somewhere else. And it will be a failing of the fans to properly support him.

In English soccer, when one of our players commits a howler, what do we do? We chant his name. We chant so loud, we drown out the opposition. We chant so loud that it seems every fan in the stadium is behind him. He may be a donkey but we'll tell everyone he is a god.

Why?

Because if you chant against your players, you are against your team, and if you are against your team you are not a fan

ICE74129
10-20-2006, 12:38 PM
I just think this

I'll give JP 2007. I'll give him an OL. I'll give him a TE that is better than the idiots we have. I'll give him a No2 receiver who is not a mini-me.

What I am concerned about is that he will be aware of the constant abuse he gets here, and he'll just think "F**k the Bills" and will head off somewhere else. And it will be a failing of the fans to properly support him.

In English soccer, when one of our players commits a howler, what do we do? We chant his name. We chant so loud, we drown out the opposition. We chant so loud that it seems every fan in the stadium is behind him. He may be a donkey but we'll tell everyone he is a god.

Why?

Because if you chant against your players, you are against your team, and if you are against your team you are not a fan

Hell if he had that we would be at least 5-1 right now!

Mudflap1
10-20-2006, 12:46 PM
You're insane. Wright totally blows.

Jon

OpIv37
10-20-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm sick of Hurricanes and their thug attitude.

I want a QB that gives a ****.

Tatonka
10-20-2006, 01:49 PM
wright does blow.

Tatonka
10-20-2006, 01:50 PM
but so does brady quinn

Mudflap1
10-20-2006, 01:57 PM
but so does brady quinn

I agree.

Jon

kernowboy
10-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Wright has another season to pull it around. I'd rather a QB who is advancing rather than regressing. I am however coming round to the Brady Quinn band wagon, but no way if we have to move up. And only if we have some major line surgery. We have to draft a LT like Doug Free no later than R2 and give Eric Steinbach a Steve Hutchinson type deal.

That leaves us with DE/DT in Rounds 3 and 4 so I hope someone may drop to us.

Tatonka
10-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Oline and Dline picks 1 - 7

OpIv37
10-20-2006, 02:01 PM
but so does brady quinn

I agree.

Jon

fair enough.

If JP completely screws up the rest of this season and makes it painfully obvious that he's not our QB of the future, what would you two suggest we do about the QB situation?

Disclaimer: I'm not knocking JP or suggesting that this situation will actually occur- it's merely a hypothetical to get some opinions on what we should do if it does.

Mudflap1
10-20-2006, 02:12 PM
fair enough.

If JP completely screws up the rest of this season and makes it painfully obvious that he's not our QB of the future, what would you two suggest we do about the QB situation?

Disclaimer: I'm not knocking JP or suggesting that this situation will actually occur- it's merely a hypothetical to get some opinions on what we should do if it does.

Get a moderately-priced quarterback with some playing experience who can come in and "manage" the game, even though I hate that term. Build up the rest of the team around him. Then once the rest of the team has been solidly built, you go get your quarterback of the future. The Broncos have done this well by re-tooling with a guy like Plummer, getting the team up to playoff-caliber, then drafting a guy like Cutler. Pefect model.

Types of quarterbacks that would fit this bill? Guys like Brunnell or Plummer. Not as they are now, but how they were perceived 2 years ago or so when they were free agents. Guys with playoff and starting experience who might not be world-beaters, but are competent and can play. Someone like Volek would be okay. Some others (not sure if they will be available or not):

Charlie Batch
Trent Green (if available -- might be a little pricier)
Brian Griese

These guys are not all-stars, nor am I suggesting they should be. But they can be serviceable. Again, we will need to build the offensive lines and defensive lines around them. Then once the rest of the team is up to snuff, we find our quarterback of the future, who I don't believe has risen yet in the college ranks.

Jon

BillsNick
10-20-2006, 02:31 PM
This thread Blows.

DraftBoy
10-20-2006, 02:46 PM
but so does brady quinn

Agreed

Brohm
Leak
Henne
Ainge

Would be my top 4 choice...Leak is my personal favorite.

Mudflap1
10-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Agreed

Brohm
Leak
Henne
Ainge

Henne might work.

Jon

Lee-83
10-20-2006, 10:02 PM
to me this would make no sense because it would be the 2nd qb we've taken in the 1st round in the last 3-4 years. any other qb would struggle and we'd go back and blame the o-line. i say we release holcomb, nall and bring in a proven veteran and use the salary cap $ / draft picks to bolster our lines.

spacecowboy
10-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Agreed

Brohm
Leak
Henne
Ainge

Well if you want a QB that is a choker Leak is good. I'd take Henne ahead of Leak.

DraftBoy
10-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Well if you want a QB that is a choker Leak is good. I'd take Henne ahead of Leak.

How do you figure he's a choker? Played in every game his entire career; 30-14 Overall Record, 2-1 v UGA, 19-10 v SEC.

How exactly is he a choker? Florida hasnt been a title contender since Spurrier left and they are almost BCS bound..Im confused by your accusation.

billsfairweatherfan
10-21-2006, 12:27 AM
I just think this

Why?

this game is not soccer ,but jp has looked like a donkey but lately in the games.draft a qb now .

kernowboy
10-21-2006, 04:11 AM
this game is not soccer ,but jp has looked like a donkey but lately in the games.draft a qb now .

I am begining to realise this

In soccer we support our team and get behind our players

Ron Burgundy
10-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Agreed

Brohm
Leak
Henne
Ainge

The order goes likes this, dude:

Troy Smith
Brady Quinn
Brian Brohm

...and nobody else particularly excites me.

Dr. Lecter
10-21-2006, 10:21 AM

It will be be very difficult to draft a QB right now.

DraftBoy
10-21-2006, 11:22 AM
The order goes likes this, dude:

Troy Smith
Brady Quinn
Brian Brohm

...and nobody else particularly excites me.

Smith lacks exp, and needs to continue to show consistency but will be a round 1 QB and I dont think we'll go QB in rd 1. Quinn will be a bust in the NFL, he's a great college QB, but as for NFL, eh Id pass.

Brohm would be late round 1, round 2 pick. His injury hurt him and he's got tough games coming up which may hurt his stock some, or greatly improve it.

Ron Burgundy
10-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Smith lacks exp, and needs to continue to show consistency but will be a round 1 QB and I dont think we'll go QB in rd 1. Quinn will be a bust in the NFL, he's a great college QB, but as for NFL, eh Id pass.

Brohm would be late round 1, round 2 pick. His injury hurt him and he's got tough games coming up which may hurt his stock some, or greatly improve it.

Smith's the guy I really want. His improvement from last year to this year has been pretty phenominal to me.

Quinn I don't see as a bust...he's kind of like a decent starter guy for a good stretch, IMO. Could one of those guys who hits the right system and wins a couple playoff games, though, 'cause he's pretty accurate and makes his reads.

Brohm I like on potential but the injury thing sucked.

Mostly, though, I think Troy's the guy. I'd be stoked to get him.

kernowboy
10-21-2006, 12:51 PM
I think Drew Stanton might fall to us in Round 2, and I'm not entirely certain I'd pass especially if we were able to get a LT in Round 1.

Can you imagine?

In Round 1 drafting down and getting Doug Free for the LT plus an extra R2 or R3 pick, getting Stanton in R2 where he could be a Kelley Clemens for us and still having maybe a R2 or R3 for a LB or another OL

PECKERWOOD
10-21-2006, 12:57 PM
If we were to draft a QB, which is highly unlikely. Brady Quinn would most likely be the best fit for this particular offense. For Fairchild's system, you want more of a pocket passer, Troy Smith isnt exactly a prototype for that assignment.

DraftBoy
10-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Smith's the guy I really want. His improvement from last year to this year has been pretty phenominal to me.

Quinn I don't see as a bust...he's kind of like a decent starter guy for a good stretch, IMO. Could one of those guys who hits the right system and wins a couple playoff games, though, 'cause he's pretty accurate and makes his reads.

Brohm I like on potential but the injury thing sucked.

Mostly, though, I think Troy's the guy. I'd be stoked to get him.

I agree, I just dont see us going QB in round 1. Unless JP really craps the bed. But getting Troy Smith would be unbelievable.

DraftBoy
10-21-2006, 01:01 PM
I think Drew Stanton might fall to us in Round 2, and I'm not entirely certain I'd pass especially if we were able to get a LT in Round 1.

Can you imagine?

In Round 1 drafting down and getting Doug Free for the LT plus an extra R2 or R3 pick, getting Stanton in R2 where he could be a Kelley Clemens for us and still having maybe a R2 or R3 for a LB or another OL

I think if we deal down, Id rather take Blalock, and Free in Round 2. Stanton has looked bad this year, and he's likely to be there in round 3, along with Jordan Palmer. Id consider either at that point but say we move down and pick up an extra 3rd;

1. Blalock OG
2. Free OT
3a. Leak (My personal choice, I know you disagree)
3b. Harrell DT

That would be a hell of a Day 1, imo.

X-Era
10-21-2006, 01:07 PM

The QB of the future is our QB of the present IMO.

DraftBoy
10-21-2006, 01:09 PM
The QB of the future is our QB of the present IMO.

Till he starts to show it, he hasnt earned anything

PECKERWOOD
10-21-2006, 01:10 PM
DraftBoy and JP-era, hijacked this thread! =)

Ron Burgundy
10-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Till he starts to show it, he hasnt earned anything

I don't believe that he will, that's why I'm touting off Smith.

If we can't grab him, though, I'm thinking another position...possibly LT, although the depth at the position has already been discussed, LB or DE.

Ron Burgundy
10-21-2006, 01:21 PM
If we were to draft a QB, which is highly unlikely. Brady Quinn would most likely be the best fit for this particular offense. For Fairchild's system, you want more of a pocket passer, Troy Smith isnt exactly a prototype for that assignment.

Really? Watched any Buckeyes games lately?

Smith looks to pass first, then run, and his progressions and accuracy have improved a ton. He's got a cannon so you don't have to worry about that, either.

DraftBoy
10-21-2006, 01:24 PM
DraftBoy and JP-era, hijacked this thread! =)

I do what I can to keep you entertained

kernowboy
10-21-2006, 01:32 PM
I think if we deal down, Id rather take Blalock, and Free in Round 2. Stanton has looked bad this year, and he's likely to be there in round 3, along with Jordan Palmer. Id consider either at that point but say we move down and pick up an extra 3rd;

1. Blalock OG
2. Free OT
3a. Leak (My personal choice, I know you disagree)
3b. Harrell DT

That would be a hell of a Day 1, imo.

Sort of agreed.

I think Free might go around 25 so ... plus big Texan OL scare me

1. Free
2. I have looked up Mike Jones and yes would be good
3a. I am concerned about Leak size, if we go QB I'd rather go larger
3b. I like Harrell. I am however concerned about his injury and depending what happens with Fletcher or TKO I'd like to see a Day1 pick on a LB.

DraftBoy
10-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Sort of agreed.

I think Free might go around 25 so ... plus big Texan OL scare me

1. Free
2. I have looked up Mike Jones and yes would be good
3a. I am concerned about Leak size, if we go QB I'd rather go larger
3b. I like Harrell. I am however concerned about his injury and depending what happens with Fletcher or TKO I'd like to see a Day1 pick on a LB.

I dont see Free as a 1st round tackle, but if need be so be it.

1. Free
2. Jones -Also love this pick
3a. Leak-His size is good enough for the SEC, its good enough for the NFL imo
3b. Buster Davis ILB/Chansi Stucker WR

X-Era
10-21-2006, 09:15 PM
I dont see Free as a 1st round tackle, but if need be so be it.

1. Free
2. Jones -Also love this pick
3a. Leak-His size is good enough for the SEC, its good enough for the NFL imo
3b. Buster Davis ILB/Chansi Stucker WR

Buster Davis will be a mid to late 2nd rounder, he will not last into the 3rd.

PECKERWOOD
10-21-2006, 09:21 PM
James Adler has us picking Quinn. http://football.about.com/cs/nfldraft/a/bl_mockdraft.htm

X-Era
10-21-2006, 09:23 PM
James Adler has us picking Quinn. http://football.about.com/cs/nfldraft/a/bl_mockdraft.htm

Dont worry we wont. Unless JP self implodes, he will show enough to keep us from drafting a QB first and foremost.

I bet JP shows he can be all we need by the end of the year.

PECKERWOOD
10-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Dont worry we wont. Unless JP self implodes, he will show enough to keep us from drafting a QB first and foremost.

I bet JP shows he can be all we need by the end of the year.
I hope JP does do that. But if he does implode, I will be the first person to admit that I was wrong. I have a good feeling about JP, but if he doesnt show us why he is here by the end of the season, it may not be a bad idea to draft Quinn if available.