PDA

View Full Version : Boys and girls, Jp will not be here next year if fairchild and jauron don't help him.

Kerr
10-20-2006, 11:05 AM
How many times have you heard coaches come and go and say they're going to play to their player's strenghs? I have yet to see fairchild and co. using jp in the right way. The offense should be designed for a specific qb. Jp is not not your average drop back passer. On top of that, this offense is hardly a mimic of martz' ofense. I see jp holding the ball more in this ofense. The qb's in martz offense are supposed to get rid of the ball quickly. They should just rethink the offense and make it fit for Jp. Look at all the scrambling qb's in this league right now. Not all of them are used as a classic drop back passer. They run for it when they see an opening. Jp is not as fast as mcnabb, but has anyone seen the way mcnabb is used in philly? Three step drops(run if nothing is there), roll outs, qb draws, throw on the run, etc. One of jp's strengths is throwing on the run. You hardly see of any of it at all unless its a broken play. I hate when these coaches try to change players into players they're not and try to kill off the type of player they really are. It doesn't work all the time, and it certainly hasn't worked for jp. This is not to say it's just the coaching. Jp has made mental errors on his part, but it all goes hand in hand. Coaches need to put their players in positions to succeed. Mularkey had no clue. So far fairchild and jauron are making the same mistake mularkey made. They want to instill this offense for the type of qb jp isn't. Instead of encouraging to stay in the pocket most of the time, they should just let him play the type of game that got him drafted in the 1st round. As you know, when it comes down to it, the qb is always the scapegoat. Fairchild and jauron are going to run jp out of town unless they make adjustments to their offensive philosophy and let jp play his game. Unless they do that, everyone might as well start talking about his replacement for next year.

PECKERWOOD
10-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Well thought out post, thank you. I agree with what you said about our offensive system. I would like to see more bootleg type of plays. I'm curious why our coaching staff hasnt seen the same thing I have. Whenever JP scrambled to the outside and threw the ball, he made gigantic plays. Hopefully, we see something new this week.

Mitchy moo
10-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Great post kerr, really great.

kernowboy
10-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Excellent post

ICE74129
10-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Great post kerr. Even in San fran they had to change the WCO to fit young vs Montana.

if this coach can't do that, then you are right JP will be gone and you can count on him landing somewhere else and doing well if they are willing to play to his strengths.

RedEyE
10-20-2006, 12:25 PM
He might not be starting next year, but he'll still be with the team. He's under contract and his petty salary cap numbers isn't much to be concerned with. Holcomb is the odd man out. Nall and Losman will remain next season.

justasportsfan
10-20-2006, 12:28 PM
I've already seen tons of improvement with Jp compared to last year. Then again we all expected him to go through growing pains.

ICE74129
10-20-2006, 12:36 PM
He might not be starting next year, but he'll still be with the team. He's under contract and his petty salary cap numbers isn't much to be concerned with. Holcomb is the odd man out. Nall and Losman will remain next season.

If he is here, he is starting. They won't keep him as a backup after putting so much into him this year. AND its the last year of his contract next year as well.

Typ0
10-20-2006, 12:51 PM
JP is supposed to be getting rid of the ball quicker and he's not doing it. He's supposed to be aware of the defensive schemes and making adjustments at the line to combat them and he's not getting it done. He's supposed to have many more receiving options than he's using because he's only looking for one or two guys.

And I don't agree with what you are saying about McNabb. The way he was used his first five years in the league was horrific. McNabb is a good property and he was running way too much and debilitating the receivers and RB from doing their jobs. Sure, it was exciting to see him run around except for the fact that he took a beating and rarely was on the field past midseason without significant injuries. You don't want your QB taking chances like that. JP at times looks clueless out there about what the defense is doing do you really want him running around and getting killed? What is that going to prove?

Kerr
10-20-2006, 08:26 PM
JP is supposed to be getting rid of the ball quicker and he's not doing it. He's supposed to be aware of the defensive schemes and making adjustments at the line to combat them and he's not getting it done. He's supposed to have many more receiving options than he's using because he's only looking for one or two guys.

And I don't agree with what you are saying about McNabb. The way he was used his first five years in the league was horrific. McNabb is a good property and he was running way too much and debilitating the receivers and RB from doing their jobs. Sure, it was exciting to see him run around except for the fact that he took a beating and rarely was on the field past midseason without significant injuries. You don't want your QB taking chances like that. JP at times looks clueless out there about what the defense is doing do you really want him running around and getting killed? What is that going to prove?

I always hear that a qb is more likely to get injured staying in the pocket. Then again, when you've got freak accidents with like what happened to trent green and our old friend, rob johnson running out of the pocket. However, injuries are part of the game. Jp has been running around throwing the ball more than he stayed in the pocket over at tulane. That's what made him appealing to our ex-gm and a few others. That's the kind of player he is. That's the kind of player he needs to be in this league, especially when he doesn't have the best O-line in the world. Staying in the pocket is more often that not is asking for a beating.

Typ0
10-20-2006, 09:16 PM
I always hear that a qb is more likely to get injured staying in the pocket. Then again, when you've got freak accidents with like what happened to trent green and our old friend, rob johnson running out of the pocket. However, injuries are part of the game. Jp has been running around throwing the ball more than he stayed in the pocket over at tulane. That's what made him appealing to our ex-gm and a few others. That's the kind of player he is. That's the kind of player he needs to be in this league, especially when he doesn't have the best O-line in the world. Staying in the pocket is more often that not is asking for a beating.

it is if you are just staying in the pocket to prove you can stay in the pocket. It's a whole other story if you know how to move the offense and the game along and instead of stalling are getting rid of the ball most of the time and attacking. Running with the ball is an added weapon but it's not the means to winning games. Don't believe me? Ask Donavan McNabb and Andy Reid. Don't ask Vick though because he's a running back and that is a whole different story.

Kerr
10-20-2006, 09:49 PM
That's the thing, I'm not sure jp will truly feel comfortable being a pure pocket qb even if he has shown improvement this year. I think the ground game is an effective tool to help you win games. For starters, it kills the clock. There would be no reason to have a back of Mcgahee's calibre back there he weren't running the ball. Philly has brian westbrook, buckhalter, etc. They aren't known as strong runners in the long haul considering they're always battling injuries. I'm sure mcnabb would be happy to have a good healthy back one and for all to take a little pressure off, but you're right, mcnabb and the eagles aren't really dependent on the ground game to win their games. For jp's it different though becuase he doesn't have as good of a line as mcnabb, so running the ball doesn't give defenses a lot of help in figuring the bills are going to pass most of the time. Mcnabb can get away with it because his O-line is pretty good. Have you followed jake plummers career since he was with Arizona. Almost similar to jp's in a way. When he came in to the league he was a young kid who could scramble, but always tried to make a big play(ints) and held on to the ball also. Of course, it didn't help that he always had a ****ty O-line. Forward now to his tenure with the Broncos. Shananan figured out how to use him and limit his mistakes. That's all I want fairchild and jauron to figure out. Learn how to use your qb.

Lee-83
10-20-2006, 09:53 PM
it wouldn't bother me if we brought in proven veteran as Baltimore / New Orleans have done over the offseason (look how thats working out).

YardRat
10-20-2006, 09:54 PM
I don't agree at all.

Moving your QB out of the pocket to the right or the left automatically cuts the field you effectively have to work with in half. It's OK once in awhile to try to mix things up, but including plays such as that as a regular staple of an offensive gameplan from week to week only plays into the defenses hands.

If you think the offense struggles at times right now, how do you really think they'll perform wothout being able to use the entire field?

Kerr
10-20-2006, 10:25 PM
I don't agree at all.

Moving your QB out of the pocket to the right or the left automatically cuts the field you effectively have to work with in half. It's OK once in awhile to try to mix things up, but including plays such as that as a regular staple of an offensive gameplan from week to week only plays into the defenses hands.

If you think the offense struggles at times right now, how do you really think they'll perform wothout being able to use the entire field?

I'm not saying for jp to rollout on every passing play. He'll still need to drop back in the passer from time to time, but a good percentage of his passes should be moving him out of the pocket. Why could you not include rollouts, etc in your gameplan every week? It doesn't play into the hands of the defense, if you've got the running game going. As far as the use of the field goes, a team can easily regain the middle portion of the field by using effective running plays(counters) and throws to get that spot on the field. It doesn't really effect those team that use the zoneblocking scheme on running plays. In that scheme they usually only cut right or left.

kernowboy
10-21-2006, 04:24 AM
The problem we are facing at the moment is that whilst moving out of the pocket cuts down the amount of field you have to play with, staying in our pocket gets you killed.

I wouldn't mind JP rolling out of the pocket if he had some big targets to aim at, who could compensate for some of the wilder throws but he rolls out and still lacks visible targets.

A big No2 WR and a receiving TE please