PDA

View Full Version : Leonard Davis.....

BuffaloBillsStampede
10-20-2006, 08:40 PM
I have a friend that is a huge Cardinals fan and he was saying how he thinks Leonard Davis is a good player in a place he doesn't want to play just like Clements for us. He said he thinks if he goes somewhere else in the offseason and plays guard he will be outstanding. I don't know much about this guy so do you guys think he would be a good pickup for us to play either guard or tackle?

Kerr
10-20-2006, 08:52 PM
I agree. I think he would do great as a guard.

Lee-83
10-20-2006, 09:41 PM
either he or max starks are instant upgrades over gandy

YardRat
10-20-2006, 09:45 PM
If we were able to bring him in, I'd prefer to keep him at tackle.

Devin
10-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Hes not a bad tackle but hes not top-tier talent.

The last year on his contract is 9 mil I believe.

billsburgh
10-20-2006, 11:42 PM
only problem with Starks is that he is a right tackle, not left. Unless you plan on moving Peters to left and having Starks play right.

kernowboy
10-21-2006, 04:04 AM
No

He'll want big bucks, probably won't fancy Buffalo, has been a bit of a bust.
Starks is a right tackle. Having not tried out Butler or Pennington, I'd be happy to let them have a chance before signing someone elses retread. If the Steelers cut him loose could he be our Oliver Ross aka the second coming of Gandhi?. I am sure that if O'Callaghan at the Pats can make the grade, so can Brad. His problem is Peters who I think we should move inside.

I think the LT must come from the draft. I am tired of using up every other teams retreads. We usually get them because they are not wanted. THIS IS NOT GOOD. The best lines draft a large number of their own. At present we have drafted none, unless you count Peters who signed from Day1 rather than drafted.

If we go after FA help on the line we go after Eric Steinbach of the Bengals who has helped Johnson become a top runner. He was the top guard in his draft and has played like one from Day1. He'll likely cost though.

Forward_Lateral
10-21-2006, 06:26 AM

So would a ****** in a wheelchair.

kernowboy
10-21-2006, 06:40 AM

Harsh. A crash test dummy might be a more politically correct statement.

I think if we signed Steinbach to a big FA deal he would come in and be a very good LG for us.

My concern about Leonard Davis and Max Starks is they have horrible FA bust written all over them. After Tripplett I don't want another in back to back seasons.

We need to work out the system we plan to play on both sides and like the Pats, sign players to fit our system, not the top name on the list as determined by so called football experts.

Of course, that is determined by whether we opt for clarity or confusion :)

RedEyE
10-21-2006, 07:37 AM

:rofl:

ParanoidAndroid
10-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Are you sure he wouldn't be a crybaby in Buffalo, too?

X-Era
10-21-2006, 11:25 AM
I have a friend that is a huge Cardinals fan and he was saying how he thinks Leonard Davis is a good player in a place he doesn't want to play just like Clements for us. He said he thinks if he goes somewhere else in the offseason and plays guard he will be outstanding. I don't know much about this guy so do you guys think he would be a good pickup for us to play either guard or tackle?

What does it hurt? His experience alone is an upgrade to Butler, Pennington, or Merz

His potential is through the roof, but for whatever reason, he hasnt lived up to expectation. Can he become what he should be with a change in scenery? Its been done before.

I dont see the downside, we wont pay that much and he has lots of experience.

kernowboy
10-21-2006, 01:06 PM
He is due to get $9 million this year or next

He will want at the very least $5 million and does he want to come to cold, windy Buffalo? If we pay all our starters $5m that's a $110 million.

I know the cap has increased but?

If we pay a big, fat, lazy, underachieving bust $5m per year that money comes from elsewhere. With experience that I'm not sure we'd want him to share? We wont know if Butler or Pennington can do the same job for $500,000 unless we give them the opportunity. The $4.5million can then be spent on a veteran QB, or retaining Fletcher, or getting a big mobile NT ........

Its the Daniel Snyder/Tom Donahoe approach to roster building

X-Era
10-21-2006, 01:09 PM
He is due to get $9 million this year or next

He will want at the very least $5 million and does he want to come to cold, windy Buffalo? If we pay all our starters $5m that's a $110 million.

I know the cap has increased but?

If we pay a big, fat, lazy, underachieving bust $5m per year that money comes from elsewhere. With experience that I'm not sure we'd want him to share? We wont know if Butler or Pennington can do the same job for $500,000 unless we give them the opportunity. The $4.5million can then be spent on a veteran QB, or retaining Fletcher, or getting a big mobile NT ........

Its the Daniel Snyder/Tom Donahoe approach to roster building

He should only get what he deserves and he ISNT worth even solid LT money to me. Hes worth second tier LT money. If he wants more, he can take a hike to me.

kernowboy
10-21-2006, 01:19 PM
He should only get what he deserves and he ISNT worth even solid LT money to me. Hes worth second tier LT money. If he wants more, he can take a hike to me.

Problem is, there is ALWAYS someone who will over pay.

Now I would pay $5-6m per year for Eric Steinbach as I think he'll be a great pick up and as I have mentioned in other threads I suspect that the Bengals will franchise him. If they give him the transition, I would readily outbid the Bengals (unless it gets silly) and give up a R2 selection

X-Era
10-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Problem is, there is ALWAYS someone who will over pay.

Now I would pay $5-6m per year for Eric Steinbach as I think he'll be a great pick up and as I have mentioned in other threads I suspect that the Bengals will franchise him. If they give him the transition, I would readily outbid the Bengals (unless it gets silly) and give up a R2 selection

I agree 100% :clap:

I would NOT allow another team to snag him away unless they were offering something WAY beyond what we were.