• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Short Term vs. Long Term Thinking - Explains Many Of These Threads

We SUCK ! We lost to the lowly Lions. We'll only win 4-5 games ! No Playoffs ! The Pats will kill us ! No respect from the national media !

or

I'm disappointed in the poor start, especially the Detroit loss. But I knew this year was going to be a sloppy/ rebuilding year, with 5-7 wins at best. A first year Coach must find out who his players are and adjust accordingly this coming off-season. New schemes on Offense and Defense.
    Everyone is being graded out and is not guaranteed a starting spot or roster spot next season. More roster turnover is on the horizon. Just get this going in the right direction and concentrate on getting some big bodies on the OL,DL, and a MLB this off-season. That seems like our biggest priorities, among many.

Eyes wide open. I prefer the long term thinking myself, since more poor performances will occur over the next 2 1/2 months. I'm looking at players on our roster I can mark down for the long term. This last draft gave us several and several more are needed. Plus we could use a signing of a dynamic veteran leader who can rally a team. Is their a Talley or Speilman out there ? We'll see.

*****ing accomplishes nothing, so it's time to think long term. I expect Marv and Modrak to ID some big bodies this off-season and add them to our roster, via FA or the Draft.

Meanwhile, I still enjoy pro and college football. Plus the Sabres are keeping me very happy.

It's all about a realistic outlook.

Currently, we're not that good. Thanks for pointing that out in 1,872 repetitive threads. We had no idea unless you shared that wisdom every hour. . Post more long term ideas and less wailing.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Re: Short Term vs. Long Term Thinking - Explains Many Of These Threads

Good post

I think that there are very few teams that will always play at an extremely high level over many seasons. Eventually that has come to an end.

All teams at some stage have to rebuild. People will see we've had 5 years of that but the issue is occasionally rebuilds go wrong from the top down. Somehow Donahoe and Williams/Mularky thought we were very close but in many ways we weren't. And because of this we hadn't handled the basics.

If we add to this, a new regime with first year coordinators looking to implement a new system on both sides, then I was happy if this season saw (in no particular order)

Losman moving forward if not completely stepping up
    Evans proving to be a number 1 WR
    McGahee actually running like one of the top5 RBs in the league
    The rookie DBs doing well
    Crowell continuing to play well
    Schobel continuing his stuff
    Kelsay or Denney moving forward

I think we have seen the above. Plus had the bonuses of Kyle Williams and Ellison. And hanging on to the potential that Butler and McCargo have.

Anything more than 5 wins would be a step forward this year. As you say you can see all you like in camp and preseason but can really only make real judgements at the end of the season.

The OL looked bad on paper before the season and have played to that level. While our draft was excellent, our FA attempts were poor. I am sure we will have an equally good draft in 2007 with maybe 4 starters and I think Marv will do much better in Free Agency.

And then I can see 9 or 10 wins next season because I do think we have the brains trust upstairs to move forward.

And I also see Levy as a guy who will build a team capable of sustainable success like the Pats

Comment

• shelby
      The Vanilla admin
      • Jul 2002

How dare y'all be so rational??????

Great posts, thanks.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Fantastic post. People need to realize that it is evident thatMarv and Jauron have a clear long term plan with this team, something we never saw from TD.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• jmb1099
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Night Train
          We SUCK ! We lost to the lowly Lions. We'll only win 4-5 games ! No Playoffs ! The Pats will kill us ! No respect from the national media !

or

I'm disappointed in the poor start, especially the Detroit loss. But I knew this year was going to be a sloppy/ rebuilding year, with 5-7 wins at best. A first year Coach must find out who his players are and adjust accordingly this coming off-season. New schemes on Offense and Defense.
          Everyone is being graded out and is not guaranteed a starting spot or roster spot next season. More roster turnover is on the horizon. Just get this going in the right direction and concentrate on getting some big bodies on the OL,DL, and a MLB this off-season. That seems like our biggest priorities, among many.

Eyes wide open. I prefer the long term thinking myself, since more poor performances will occur over the next 2 1/2 months. I'm looking at players on our roster I can mark down for the long term. This last draft gave us several and several more are needed. Plus we could use a signing of a dynamic veteran leader who can rally a team. Is their a Talley or Speilman out there ? We'll see.

*****ing accomplishes nothing, so it's time to think long term. I expect Marv and Modrak to ID some big bodies this off-season and add them to our roster, via FA or the Draft.

Meanwhile, I still enjoy pro and college football. Plus the Sabres are keeping me very happy.

It's all about a realistic outlook.

Currently, we're not that good. Thanks for pointing that out in 1,872 repetitive threads. We had no idea unless you shared that wisdom every hour. . Post more long term ideas and less wailing.
          Exactly. Well said.

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            Fantastic post. People need to realize that it is evident thatMarv and Jauron have a clear long term plan with this team, something we never saw from TD.

how is it clear to you? Maybe you can explain it for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Typ0
              how is it clear to you? Maybe you can explain it for us.
              Well at least it lasted 5 posts before the negative squad turned up

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kernowboy
                Well at least it lasted 5 posts before the negative squad turned up

who said it was negative? He said they have a "clear" long-term plan amongst all of this "reality" talk. I know nothing of this plan so have no idea how clear it can be. Please, share some insight into the clarity of this long term plan.

Comment

He realised that not everything could be fixed on Day1

He decided that it was the defence that need to be looked at especially players fit for the Tampa2

Despite everyone screaming he drafted Whitner, earned lots of mockery at the time, and now all admit that Whitner was a canny pick. Yes we could have gone another way, but we only had one R1 pick. He tried to sign players in FA who fit the Tampa2 system like Tripplett. Ok, it hasn't worked but it demonstrates more brains than the old team who just went for Marquee names in both the draft and free agency.

Despite not being their draft choice, they decided of the 3 QBs that Losman is the one who is most likely to show potential. Holcomb is a backward step. Nall, well I think he's likely to be a never will be. And they are sticking to their decision unlike Mularky/Donahoe who panicked and tried to save their own skins, thankfully unsuccessfully.

Based on the evidence so far, I think Marv will draft astutely again and will patch up more of the holes, possibly gaining 4 starters and improving the OL with new blood. The DL will automatically be better from one year in the system though a new name here would help the rotation.

And he won't get fleeced again in FA

With Donahoe, my first question after some of his decisions was 'Why?'

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by kernowboy
                    He realised that not everything could be fixed on Day1

He decided that it was the defence that need to be looked at especially players fit for the Tampa2

Despite everyone screaming he drafted Whitner, earned lots of mockery at the time, and now all admit that Whitner was a canny pick. Yes we could have gone another way, but we only had one R1 pick. He tried to sign players in FA who fit the Tampa2 system like Tripplett. Ok, it hasn't worked but it demonstrates more brains than the old team who just went for Marquee names in both the draft and free agency.

Despite not being their draft choice, they decided of the 3 QBs that Losman is the one who is most likely to show potential. Holcomb is a backward step. Nall, well I think he's likely to be a never will be. And they are sticking to their decision unlike Mularky/Donahoe who panicked and tried to save their own skins, thankfully unsuccessfully.

Based on the evidence so far, I think Marv will draft astutely again and will patch up more of the holes, possibly gaining 4 starters and improving the OL with new blood. The DL will automatically be better from one year in the system though a new name here would help the rotation.

And he won't get fleeced again in FA

With Donahoe, my first question after some of his decisions was 'Why?'
                    Perfect! Those are basically my feelings.

Marv is building the team for the long haul. He is not applying band-aids to gaping wounds. It takes time for the large wounds to actually heal, but he is doing more than just covering them up.
                    Originally posted by mysticsoto
                    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

This season is all about development. Not just for JP, but also building a defense. And we still don't have a cohesive O-line or a legit No. 2 WR.

Think of it like a movie ... This season is just the first of a two-parter or even a trilogy.
                      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

Movie 1 The Fellowship of the Ring 2006

Marv gets his team in and they start to work out who can play and who can't

Movie 2 The Two Towers 2007

We work further on the Two Towers of OL and DL

Movie 3 The Return of the king 2008

with a bit of luck, Marv the king gets us back to the SuperBowl

Comment

• Philagape
                          WIN NOW
                          • Jul 2002

The Fellowship of the Marv
                          The Two Lines
                          The Return of the Ring
                          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• raphael120
                            Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                            • Oct 2005

wow..thats a pretty geeky analogy there...lets just hope its true. back to the nerdery, now.

Comment

• mybills
                              81 st zoner
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                              Currently, we're not that good. Thanks for pointing that out in 1,872 repetitive threads. We had no idea unless you shared that wisdom every hour. .
                              I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

Working...
                              X