PDA

View Full Version : Ill tell ya what, I like what I see from this LT!!!

X-Era
10-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Jake Long at 6' 7" and 313lb. looks well built, fast feet, nasty mentality. Hes been more highly touted at Mich than Jansen, or Williams.

Ill tell ya what, this guy would be a great 2nd rounder! He has the attitude that we have needed for a while.

kernowboy
10-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Yep I kind of agree. I know he's been playing the left this season but has usually been on the Right. I've heard a lot of commentators think this will be his Pro position. Have a worry that if we go RT in the draft it means Peters on the left and I'm not sure he has the mental equipment for that. I can see Butler or Pennington given a go on the right, Peters being moved into and a LT in the draft.

As a junior I think he might stay at college as he and Sam Baker would be R1 certs in 2008. I also think Mike Gyetvai comes into the reckoning then.

If you had to choose, Doug Free a true LT or Jake Long which way would you recommend Marv goes?

X-Era
10-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Yep I kind of agree. I know he's been playing the left this season but has usually been on the Right. I've heard a lot of commentators think this will be his Pro position. Have a worry that if we go RT in the draft it means Peters on the left and I'm not sure he has the mental equipment for that. I can see Butler or Pennington given a go on the right, Peters being moved into and a LT in the draft.

As a junior I think he might stay at college as he and Sam Baker would be R1 certs in 2008. I also think Mike Gyetvai comes into the reckoning then.

If you had to choose, Doug Free a true LT or Jake Long which way would you recommend Marv goes?

Im a firm believer in level of competition. It just seems to favor guys with experience against higher levels.

I would go Jake Long. Michigan has an outstanding track record of churning out top prospects on the OL. Jansen, Hutch, Mo Williams (bust so far), Baas.

They play a ruthless schedule and these guys are NFL ready as soon as can be expected.

PECKERWOOD
10-21-2006, 07:46 PM
I was screaming when San Fran took Baas, I really liked him last year.

clumping platelets
10-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Jake Long is now ranked as a 1st rd pick........I like them both. I watch the Michigan game just to watch him

I think we can give him #77 next year :D

PECKERWOOD
10-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Jake Long is cool. A couple others is Levi Brown and Sam Baker. We could probably trade down and grab those players.

BILLSROCK1212
10-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Jake Long is cool. A couple others is Levi Brown and Sam Baker. We could probably trade down and grab those players.

You know i think Jake Long is like some dragon on a kiddy show? No way could it be? Is he a dragon?

PECKERWOOD
10-21-2006, 10:17 PM
You know i think Jake Long is like some dragon on a kiddy show? No way could it be? Is he a dragon?
:ebby:

kernowboy
10-22-2006, 05:15 AM
Im a firm believer in level of competition. It just seems to favor guys with experience against higher levels.

I would go Jake Long. Michigan has an outstanding track record of churning out top prospects on the OL. Jansen, Hutch, Mo Williams (bust so far), Baas.

They play a ruthless schedule and these guys are NFL ready as soon as can be expected.

I don't think Williams has been a bust. He's done a decent job for the Jags.

I have to confess I am quite hopeful about this years draft assuming Marv/Dick have been observing the same thing which they must have done.

Without even moving up we have a decent chance of

Sam Baker
Levi Brown
Jake Long
Doug Free

of those, I would like it to be down to Long or Free. My concerns about Baker is that until this season, he's not been catching the QBs blindside (defending Leinhart) and I'd also prefer a cold weather college player. As for Brown he's a little less nimble on his feet and a bit porky and I ain't sure he can go on the left.

I would go for Long over Free IF he has the feet to play the left in the pros. He's only moved there this season so I think careful observation is needed. Long only has one year of defending the QBs blindside and unlike Baker has also moved positions but he is bigger and I just always feel that as a cold weather city, if it comes down to the final issue we should always go for a northern based rather than southern based college kid. But thats maybe just me. Playing in the cold after playing in the warm, just ain't funny.

If we could get both it would be superb. I think Blaylock is out as we must look left rather than right if only because it is easier to get by well with a less athletic player on the right. We can draft Long with the intention of the left and then if lucky enough can maybe grab Free and then play them Right/Left respectively. Peters could move inside. The bottom line is Long could play both sides possibly, Blaylock definitely only the Right.

If Marv/Dick have a brain storm and we miss those four we still have a chance at

Ryan Harris - a little light
Mike Otto - been unnoticed but good, solid college career
Joe Staley - lower level but as fast as hell
Arron Jones - been moved around a little
even Mike Jones of Iowa mainly LG but some LT

Any of these boys are still a huge upgrade over Gandy and could be as good in the pros as Marvel Smith, Matt Light and Khaliff Barnes.

Which I'd be ok with any day

X-Era
10-22-2006, 11:05 AM
I don't think Williams has been a bust. He's done a decent job for the Jags.

I have to confess I am quite hopeful about this years draft assuming Marv/Dick have been observing the same thing which they must have done.

Without even moving up we have a decent chance of

Sam Baker
Levi Brown
Jake Long
Doug Free

of those, I would like it to be down to Long or Free. My concerns about Baker is that until this season, he's not been catching the QBs blindside (defending Leinhart) and I'd also prefer a cold weather college player. As for Brown he's a little less nimble on his feet and a bit porky and I ain't sure he can go on the left.

I would go for Long over Free IF he has the feet to play the left in the pros. He's only moved there this season so I think careful observation is needed. Long only has one year of defending the QBs blindside and unlike Baker has also moved positions but he is bigger and I just always feel that as a cold weather city, if it comes down to the final issue we should always go for a northern based rather than southern based college kid. But thats maybe just me. Playing in the cold after playing in the warm, just ain't funny.

If we could get both it would be superb. I think Blaylock is out as we must look left rather than right if only because it is easier to get by well with a less athletic player on the right. We can draft Long with the intention of the left and then if lucky enough can maybe grab Free and then play them Right/Left respectively. Peters could move inside. The bottom line is Long could play both sides possibly, Blaylock definitely only the Right.

If Marv/Dick have a brain storm and we miss those four we still have a chance at

Ryan Harris - a little light
Mike Otto - been unnoticed but good, solid college career
Joe Staley - lower level but as fast as hell
Arron Jones - been moved around a little
even Mike Jones of Iowa mainly LG but some LT

Any of these boys are still a huge upgrade over Gandy and could be as good in the pros as Marvel Smith, Matt Light and Khaliff Barnes.

Which I'd be ok with any day

Watching Long, he reminded me ALOT of Boselli (obviously without the injury), hes very very mobile, with quick feet. He looks like a TE. Hes got very long arms, he looks really good.

kernowboy
10-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Watching Long, he reminded me ALOT of Boselli (obviously without the injury), hes very very mobile, with quick feet. He looks like a TE. Hes got very long arms, he looks really good.

Jake Long it is then, if he comes out which I wonder if Baker or Long do with so many good LTs this year. They may wait until a poorer class next year?