PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the best team ever??

JD
10-21-2006, 04:12 PM
I already think this is the best SABRES team ever.

But besides within the organization what do you think??

Dr. Lecter
10-21-2006, 04:15 PM
You are way ahead of yourself on this one.

JD
10-21-2006, 04:19 PM
I really dont think so. I'm talking skillwise, not goonwise.

How about you elaborate.. what sabres team was better?

Dr. Lecter
10-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Some of the teams with the Fench Connection were very, very good. With a 2nd line of Gar, Luce and Ramsey, you really have something.

Some of Bowman's teams were incedibly skilled.

Then you had the era with Dale Hawerchuk as the #2 center. I amnot saying they were better. But 6 games into the season is too early to make a conclusion on how good this team is.

JD
10-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Im going on last year too, we basically have the same team. And it appears we havnt lost a step, maybe even gained one.

im4bflo
10-21-2006, 04:42 PM
I already think this is the best SABRES team ever.

But besides within the organization what do you think??

They have the capability, and they need to wear the jersey in your sig :brace:
Let's GO, SLUG-A-LO!!!

YardRat
10-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Way too early. Let's see how they're doing when the playoffs come around.

Dr. Lecter
10-21-2006, 04:58 PM
YardRat the voice of reason and common sense!

Dr. Lecter
10-21-2006, 04:58 PM
In related news, Satan has been treated for hypothermia at a local hospital.

Crisis
10-21-2006, 05:23 PM
We're 7 games into the season and we're already the best team ever.

Everyone needs to calm down a bit, the Sens looked like they had the Cup early last year too.

Typ0
10-21-2006, 05:26 PM
I agree it needs to play out but the thing about this team is it is so solid from top to bottom.

JD
10-21-2006, 05:31 PM
:clap:

The_Philster
10-21-2006, 05:34 PM
:roflmao:

Bufftp
10-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Who cares we have been been golden since we dumped him.

Ebenezer
10-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Let's let the season play out...those 74-75 & 75-76 teams were incredible. The 74-75 team would have won the cup had it not been for Bernie Parent. I said it last year the 74-75 team would have beat these guys...so far this year :idunno:

these team has to make the finals before it can be considered the best Sabres ever.

Bufftp
10-21-2006, 06:09 PM
I think more so than reaching the finals, they need to win the cup.

SABURZFAN
10-21-2006, 06:48 PM
the 74-75 team is the best ever.

im4bflo
10-21-2006, 06:53 PM
'74-'75 old school hockey, the team to beat.

Meathead
10-21-2006, 07:17 PM
just cuz i say this is the best team in the history of all sports on all planets doesnt mean im getting ahead of myself

Historian
10-21-2006, 07:19 PM
the 74-75 team is the best ever.

Right now...yes. Watching Briere and Afinaganov is almost like watching a team with two Perreaults on it.

But this team is already better than the team that went to the finals in 97.

That team was average in talent, with superior goaltending.

This team has scorers on every line, and still has some of the best goaltending in the NHL.

Typ0
10-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Right now...yes. Watching Briere and Afinaganov is almost like watching a team with two Perreaults on it.

This team has scorers on every line, and still has some of the best goaltending in the NHL.

how many teams itch to get their 2nd goaltender time in net like this one? How many other teams squirm with their 2nd goaltender in net? I don't know about you...but I didn't even blink an eye wondering how MB would do tonight. The best news is...RM is young and at this point he's going to get better as he becomes a seasoned veteran. Yes, we have a very good situation between the pipes, a potent offensive attack and solid blueline. Are there any weaknesses on this team? Is the Bills season over so we can focus on hockey?

Philagape
10-21-2006, 07:29 PM
What we have a football team too?

Typ0
10-21-2006, 07:31 PM

no we have the JP crew and the haters ;)

Bufftp
10-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Is the Bills season over so we can focus on hockey?
Should be over around 4:00 tommorow. :D

Philagape
10-21-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm too young to remember the French connection, but this is the best Sabres team I've ever seen. The Lafontaine-Mogilny days were like this, but it was just those two. This team has three lines that can do that.
But here's the thing.
It's not that the Sabres are talented, though they are;
It's not that they've got great chemistry, which they do;
But they're CLUTCH. They can make mistakes but are never out of it because they thrive on pressure. Watching Friday's game, when they were down twice, I was like, "OK, they're down, that's when they play their best." They find ways to win -- many ways. That's why they're Cup favorites, because they have the perfect mentality for the playoffs.

Typ0
10-21-2006, 07:38 PM

no we have the JP crew and the haters ;)

Typ0
10-21-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm too young to remember the French connection, but this is the best Sabres team I've ever seen. The Lafontaine-Mogilny days were like this, but it was just those two. This team has three lines that can do that.
But here's the thing.
It's not that the Sabres are talented, though they are;
It's not that they've got great chemistry, which they do;
But they're CLUTCH. They can make mistakes but are never out of it because they thrive on pressure. Watching Friday's game, when they were down twice, I was like, "OK, they're down, that's when they play their best." They find ways to win -- many ways. That's why they're Cup favorites, because they have the perfect mentality for the playoffs.

it was just before my time too. But I can remember my dad watching hockey and it was the sabres...these were the days when there was only a few channels on TV and we were a little less than an hour north of Syracuse. I grew up in a big hockey community and it took me a long time to really get it because for some reason the rules are hard to grasp. But dad was watching those games he was a big sports fan and I can remember asking him "why are you watching these buffalo sports because the teams aren't that good". He said the hockey team wasn't that bad that's why he was watching and he liked hockey. I miss him and wish we could sit and watch this team together. Oh well, **** happens.

Historian
10-21-2006, 08:04 PM
I've never seen a team with this much speed.

Maybe the Canadiens of the late 60s early 1970's. Maybe.

Its funny...they're not very good when they have a 5-4 or even a 5-3 advantage, but they play amazingly well shorthanded.

I have to believe that they're so fast, that having five guys on the ice at the same time actually slows them down, as they tend to bump into each other, or cut each other off accidentally.

When there's one less player on the ice, they actually get to wind it up to top speed.

It's the only way I can explain that anomaly.

Philagape
10-21-2006, 08:15 PM
The only other comparison I can think of is the Oilers in their glory days.

Ebenezer
10-21-2006, 08:18 PM
The only other comparison I can think of is the Oilers in their glory days.
don't get over anxious...those Edmonton teams were so deep and so strong for so many years...

Ebenezer
10-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Maybe the Canadiens of the early 1970's.

Possibly the only teams that would have been the Oilers.

Philagape
10-21-2006, 08:23 PM
don't get over anxious...those Edmonton teams were so deep and so strong for so many years...

Depth is what makes us great. But you're right in that no comparisons are truly valid until we keep it up long-term and win a Cup.

Philagape
10-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Unfortunately, in the FA/salary cap era, no team will match the dynasties of the past for longevity.

im4bflo
10-21-2006, 08:32 PM
I've never seen a team with this much speed.

Maybe the Canadiens of the late 60s early 1970's. Maybe.

Its funny...they're not very good when they have a 5-4 or even a 5-3 advantage, but they play amazingly well shorthanded.

I have to believe that they're so fast, that having five guys on the ice at the same time actually slows them down, as they tend to bump into each other, or cut each other off accidentally.

When there's one less player on the ice, they actually get to wind it up to top speed.

It's the only way I can explain that anomaly.

The new rules have really helped, you can get up to speed with no one clutching and grabbing you.

Ebenezer
10-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Unfortunately, in the FA/salary cap era, no team will match the dynasties of the past for longevity.
don't forget to factor in the NYI under Arbour and the Toronto Maple Leafs under Imlach for longevity.

Mitchy moo
10-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Edmonton had the some of the best teams based on the competition at the time. The big difference is the league has a salary cap and it will level off the playing field, eventually.

Right now we are the class of the league and have played mostly playoff & division winners, SC champs and pres. trophies winners and still won. I expect teams like Boston, toronto to give us alot of wins.

Plan on us winning 60+ games like I said before, as long as we stay healthy.

SABuffalo786
10-22-2006, 03:02 AM
IT'S BEEN 8 ****ING GAMES.

CHILL OUT.

****!

pyrrhonist
10-22-2006, 03:11 AM

CHILL OUT.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

I'm a die-hard, long-time fan, but I never like to get ahead of myself. I have even feared all of the love the polls online (as well as predictions from The Hockey News, TSN.ca, etc), because they've been full of praise. It's better to be the underdog, me thinks.

Historian
10-22-2006, 06:58 AM
The new rules have really helped, you can get up to speed with no one clutching and grabbing you.

Absolutely. The Sabres have adapted to the new rules perfectly. (Credit Ruff for changing his philosophy with the times)

Isn't it kind of comical though, watching our team blow right by the teams who haven't changed? The traditional thumpers playing 1980s style hockey?

Watching a team like Philly try to keep stride with us is actually funny. They simply can't do it.

SABuffalo786
10-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Pretty much sums it up for me.

I'm a die-hard, long-time fan, but I never like to get ahead of myself. I have even feared all of the love the polls online (as well as predictions from The Hockey News, TSN.ca, etc), because they've been full of praise. It's better to be the underdog, me thinks.

It's not even a matter of wanting to be an underdog.

It's not even a matter of bad karma and fate which a LOT of our fans are tempting right now.

I just consider it a slap in the face to all the devotion, loyalty, heartache and suffering of 36 years worth of teams and fans to assume that it's going to be this easy.

SABURZFAN
10-22-2006, 10:33 AM

nobody compares to #11.nobody has the big shot like #7.nobody shows the quiet,do your job every night and get results like #14.

JD
10-22-2006, 11:06 AM

CHILL OUT.

****!
Hmm. what are you smoking? It's been over a hundred. The team is basically the same, it hasnt lost a step. If this team was around in the seventys you know damn well it would be a dynasty, everyone would be locked up for years, not jumping from team to team every year.

You dont think this is the best sabres team ever?

I think RIGHT NOW, its amongst the top10 in nhl history. And by the end of the year you'll all be putting them higher.

JD
10-22-2006, 11:08 AM
nobody compares to #11.nobody has the big shot like #7.nobody shows the quiet,do your job every night and get results like #14.
seems as if ur living in the past. max would skate circles around gp.

Crisis
10-22-2006, 12:57 PM
I think RIGHT NOW, its amongst the top10 in nhl history. And by the end of the year you'll all be putting them higher.
When they actually win something maybe we can put them amongst the best teams in hockey.

This team is great but they are NOWHERE NEAR the great teams in NHL history until they actually win something.

We're not the Cup Champs after 8 games.

SABuffalo786
10-22-2006, 01:50 PM

Have you even seen Perrault play before?

SABuffalo786
10-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Hmm. what are you smoking? It's been over a hundred. The team is basically the same, it hasnt lost a step. If this team was around in the seventys you know damn well it would be a dynasty, everyone would be locked up for years, not jumping from team to team every year.

Ha.

Pal, if this team played in the 70s, half of them would be in the hospital. No new NHL rules to help them out back then.

I shudder to think of Derek Roy or Jason Pominville going up against some of the Boston or Philly teams of the 70s....

You dont think this is the best sabres team ever?

I admire your enthusiasm and passion for the team, but this is just simply delusional and disgustingly over the top.

Come June, if we win 65+ games and sweep all our playoff series en route to a Cup, okay I'll entertain the notion of this team being one of the best NHL sides of all time.

Talking sheer talent, yeah this team is probably on par with the 75-76 squad. But that's it. What have they won yet in comparison with the 75-76 team? Division champions? Conference champions? Cup Finals appearance? No, nothing.

To say that after 8 GAMES, with not even a division title to our name yet, this is one of the best teams in the entire history of hockey? I'm sorry, that's just pure insanity.

JD
10-22-2006, 02:21 PM
We'll see

JD
10-22-2006, 02:28 PM
I was merely talking about talent and passion. Without injuries last year, hell the cup was ours..I dont think anyone will disagree on that. The way this team finds ways to win just blows my mind. Back then it wasnt focused on shear talent. People were getting their asses kicked out there. The new NHL rules let the players play hockey, showing off talent not whose the biggest goon on the squad. were talking 4 solid lines that are ALL dangerous. Amazing coach, growth from within, most young guns..there arnt THAT many teams that were solid thru and thru with pure TALENT. Name 10 that without a doubt were more solid than this team is right now.

JD
10-22-2006, 02:34 PM
and keep in mind its nearly impossible to have a dynasty with the new nhl. some players change teams as much as they change their underwear.

Dr. Lecter
10-22-2006, 04:56 PM
JD, how many times di you watch GP?

I love Max, but to say he would skate circles around GP is being terribly misinformed.

JD
10-22-2006, 05:01 PM
JD, how many times di you watch GP?

I love Max, but to say he would skate circles around GP is being terribly misinformed.
Ok, maybe not circle around him. But I do think hes faster than GP. I've seen some games on tape and highlights online..

Philagape
10-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Apollo Ohno is faster than both of them, but I don't think that makes him a better hockey player.

Philagape
10-22-2006, 09:44 PM
And the best Sabres player I've ever seen is LaFontaine.

JD
10-22-2006, 10:42 PM
How about that pass for the May Day?

im4bflo
10-22-2006, 10:50 PM
If you knew the past, you wouldn't make that statement.
Hockey was very different then, and GP RULED.

Dr. Lecter
10-22-2006, 11:08 PM

LaFontaine is 3rd on my list.........

pyrrhonist
10-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Ok, maybe not circle around him. But I do think hes faster than GP. I've seen some games on tape and highlights online..

Afinogenov doesn't even approach being as good as Gilbert. :shake: