PDA

View Full Version : Do we have a shot?

BILLSROCK1212
10-21-2006, 05:46 PM
In this game what do you think we have to do to actually have a shot. I say stop the passing game and run the ball effectively and make some special teams plays. If that goes well I look for us to have a decent day but we gotta create holes for Mcgahee.

The_Philster
10-21-2006, 05:57 PM
We lost to them by 2 at their house. There's a customary 6 point swing...being at home gets you a 3-point advantage. So instead of losing by 2, we should beat them by 4...21-17 :up:

raphael120
10-21-2006, 05:59 PM
well for one thing, our secondary cant crap the bed like it did against detroit...brady is 10 times what kitna is.

Typ0
10-21-2006, 06:12 PM
I see them gaining 250 yards on the ground and we will leave with a giant fork in our backs.

kernowboy
10-21-2006, 06:25 PM
On the day, there is always a chance.

Brady could stumbled on their first play, go over on his ankle and we are facing Cassels.

BILLSROCK1212
10-21-2006, 06:48 PM

Brady could stumbled on their first play, go over on his ankle and we are facing Cassels.
Cassel is pretty good.

OpIv37
10-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Technically, every team always has a shot. But we don't have much of them.

We lost to them by 2 at their house. There's a customary 6 point swing...being at home gets you a 3-point advantage. So instead of losing by 2, we should beat them by 4...21-17 :up:

Since then, NE has improved and we've regressed. On top of that, Bellicheck didn't know what to expect. Now, he's got 6 weeks worth of game tapes and two weeks to analyze them. I have a feeling it's going to be brutal.

OpIv37
10-21-2006, 07:04 PM

For any other team, that would be a problem. But with NE's luck, Brady will go down and they'll find out that Cassels is so good he makes Peyton Manning look like Rob Johnson.

Then the Bills will cut JP and trade for Brady, who will give us mediocre play for 3 seasons before the Bills decide he's not the answer either.

PECKERWOOD
10-21-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm wearing my lucky Smith jersey today. I didnt wear it last week and we lost against Detroit. So we will beat, NE tomorrow!

The_Philster
10-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Technically, every team always has a shot. But we don't have much of them.

Since then, NE has improved and we've regressed. On top of that, Bellicheck didn't know what to expect. Now, he's got 6 weeks worth of game tapes and two weeks to analyze them. I have a feeling it's going to be brutal.
It's the night before the game....can't you try not to be a downer for a set time period? Like...24 hours before the game?...so that some of us can continue to look forward to the game instead of dread it like you seem to?

OpIv37
10-21-2006, 07:11 PM
It's the night before the game....can't you try not to be a downer for a set time period? Like...24 hours before the game?...so that some of us can continue to look forward to the game instead of dread it like you seem to?

so, you're saying that you prefer blissful ignorance to facing the truth?

Don't you ever get sick of looking forward to the games only to be constantly disappointed by the results?

Devin
10-21-2006, 07:14 PM
well if they allow us to bring auromatic weapons on the field we might win, although that would assume we could hit something.

The_Philster
10-21-2006, 07:25 PM
so, you're saying that you prefer blissful ignorance to facing the truth?

Don't you ever get sick of looking forward to the games only to be constantly disappointed by the results?
I wouldn't call it blissful ignorance....more a case of realizing that any team can beat any other team any given Sunday. The Bucs beat the Bills in 1988...and the Bills were the far superior team..as a matter of example.

Anyway, not all of us go through life with a dark cloud over our heads. I'd almost wager you complained about the 51-3 game...cause we didn't score in triple digits and we didn't shut out the Raiders...Talley didn't make enough plays, Odomes missed a couple picks he should've had, Andre dropped a great TD pass, etc, etc.. ;)

OpIv37
10-21-2006, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't call it blissful ignorance....more a case of realizing that any team can beat any other team any given Sunday. The Bucs beat the Bills in 1988...and the Bills were the far superior team..as a matter of example.

Anyway, not all of us go through life with a dark cloud over our heads. I'd almost wager you complained about the 51-3 game...cause we didn't score in triple digits and we didn't shut out the Raiders...Talley didn't make enough plays, Odomes missed a couple picks he should've had, Andre dropped a great TD pass, etc, etc.. ;)

and you say that based on what?

Since this board has been in existence, when have we ever WON enough for us fans to be satisfied with this team? Other than 8 games in 2004, it's been a pretty pathetic 4-5 seasons.

When this team starts winning, you'll see significantly fewer negative posts from me.

And as is the norm for a lot of people here, you're using the exception to prove the rule. Yes, there are upsets. But more often than not, the heavily favored team wins. The fact that something's technically possible doesn't mean it's likely to happen.

I hope the Bills win tomorrow- there's nothing I'd like to see more than an absolute annihilation of the Pats. But I'm not afraid to admit the chances of that happening (or the chances of us winning at all) are infinitesmally small. I'm not going to get my hopes up because that just makes the disappointment of a loss that much worse.

Kerr
10-21-2006, 07:38 PM
There are only two things that concern me about the patriots. Their running game and their TE's. Stop the ground game and we have a chance.

OpIv37
10-21-2006, 07:42 PM
There are only two things that concern me about the patriots. Their running game and their TE's. Stop the ground game and we have a chance.

what about their DL vs our OL? They seemed to have some success there last time, and now we have some OL injuries.

The_Philster
10-21-2006, 07:43 PM
and you say that based on what?.19,244 posts

anyway, I think most of us who don't go around with that dark cloud over their heads realize the odds are against us tomorrow. But if we don't hold onto that shred of hope that we can win, we'd be better off not going to the game or watching it on tv. I can't speak for everyone, but I'd find it distasteful to watch a sporting event that you knew would end in disappointment

OpIv37
10-21-2006, 07:44 PM
19,244 posts

anyway, I think most of us who don't go around with that dark cloud over their heads realize the odds are against us tomorrow. But if we don't hold onto that shred of hope that we can win, we'd be better off not going to the game or watching it on tv. I can't speak for everyone, but I'd find it distasteful to watch a sporting event that you knew would end in disappointment

I'm a fan- that's what fans do. Fans don't stop watching our team just because the most likely outcome is being disappointed yet again.

Typ0
10-21-2006, 07:46 PM

whiner.

The_Philster
10-21-2006, 07:46 PM
I'm a fan- that's what fans do. Fans don't stop watching our team just because the most likely outcome is being disappointed yet again.
saying it's the most likely outcome isn't the same as knowing it's the outcome..and as much as you harp on the negatives, doing your best to ignore the possibilities that we'll win, it seems almost like you know the final results already ;)

Typ0
10-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Phil, I think it's time for a break again. Perhaps walk down to the local watering hole and talk to some nice women.

OpIv37
10-21-2006, 07:49 PM
saying it's the most likely outcome isn't the same as knowing it's the outcome..and as much as you harp on the negatives, doing your best to ignore the possibilities that we'll win, it seems almost like you know the final results already ;)

um, my first post in this thread stated that it's possible for us to win but the possibility is extremely small.

Don't become justa- please actually READ my posts instead of just assuming you know what they say based on your preconceived notions of my posts.

Kerr
10-21-2006, 07:49 PM
what about their DL vs our OL? They seemed to have some success there last time, and now we have some OL injuries.

Yeah that too, but was killed us more in the last game and over the years has been not stopping their ground game and their TE's.

The_Philster
10-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Phil, I think it's time for a break again. Perhaps walk down to the local watering hole and talk to some nice women.
Typ0...I don't even know where that came from...made no sense at all. Besides, didn't I see a post from you earlier tonight hoping that the Bills season was over? If you hate the Bills so much, why post in this forum? Besides, anyone who knows me at all knows I don't barhop nor do I pick up women in bars.

OpIv37
10-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Yeah that too, but was killed us more in the last game and over the years has been not stopping their ground game and their TE's.

getting shredded by Maroney in his first NFL start last time was embarrassing. He didn't get 100 yards cuz he was sharing time with Dillon, but he averaged something insane like 6 yards a carry.

The_Philster
10-21-2006, 07:53 PM
um, my first post in this thread stated that it's possible for us to win but the possibility is extremely small.

Don't become justa- please actually READ my posts instead of just assuming you know what they say based on your preconceived notions of my posts.
yeah...you state it once and then harp on the negatives constantly. If we took your positive statements and negative statements and used them to determine what are chances were, we MIGHT have a 1% chance of winning against any given opponent. Point is, yeah, I know you acknowledged it, but you try to ignore it as much as possible

OpIv37
10-21-2006, 07:56 PM
yeah...you state it once and then harp on the negatives constantly. If we took your positive statements and negative statements and used them to determine what are chances were, we MIGHT have a 1% chance of winning against any given opponent. Point is, yeah, I know you acknowledged it, but you try to ignore it as much as possible

because I don't like getting my hopes up for something that's extremely unlikely to happen. An optimist can never be pleasantly surprised.

Typ0
10-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Typ0...I don't even know where that came from...made no sense at all. Besides, didn't I see a post from you earlier tonight hoping that the Bills season was over? If you hate the Bills so much, why post in this forum? Besides, anyone who knows me at all knows I don't barhop nor do I pick up women in bars.

I'll tell you what Phil, put your money where your mouth is. I'll bet you all my zonebucks against all your zonebucks that the PATS win tomorrow. Come to the table and make the bet with your precious zonebucks or stop whining about people being realistic that we aren't going to beat the Pats tomorrow.

The_Philster
10-21-2006, 08:03 PM
I'll tell you what Phil, put your money where your mouth is. I'll bet you all my zonebucks against all your zonebucks that the PATS win tomorrow. Come to the table and make the bet with your precious zonebucks or stop whining about people being realistic that we aren't going to beat the Pats tomorrow.
I'll tell you what....how about actually reading my posts before attacking me? :rolleyes: Your opinion really doesn't matter...you already stated you wanted the Bills season over...so go. The point is, some of us want to look forward to the game tomorrow...because there's a chance we could win it....unless you think the games are fixed and you've already seen the NFLs game plan for how the Pats are gonna beat us tomorrow

The_Philster
10-21-2006, 08:06 PM
because I don't like getting my hopes up for something that's extremely unlikely to happen. An optimist can never be pleasantly surprised.
so you like to harp on the negatives non stop so that everyone goes around with a dark cloud over their head like you..I got it :up:
You like feeling miserable so you want everyone to feel the same way.

All I'm asking is...the night before the game...people are trying to feel good...look forward to the game and you gotta rain on the parade. There's 6 other days you'll be doing that as it is :laughter:

Besides, the question posed to start the thread was.."do we have a shot?"...not "How many reasons can you find that we shouldn't win?"

Typ0
10-21-2006, 08:12 PM
I'll tell you what....how about actually reading my posts before attacking me? :rolleyes: Your opinion really doesn't matter...you already stated you wanted the Bills season over...so go. The point is, some of us want to look forward to the game tomorrow...because there's a chance we could win it....unless you think the games are fixed and you've already seen the NFLs game plan for how the Pats are gonna beat us tomorrow

I didn't attack you Phil. If there are posts here that are ruining your enjoyment of the game tomorrow I suggest you leave. Like I said you can go somewhere else and talk to actual people right now you don't have to wait until tomorrow.

The_Philster
10-21-2006, 08:15 PM
I didn't attack you Phil.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=1692660&postcount=21
pure idiocy

If there are posts here that are ruining your enjoyment of the game tomorrow I suggest you leave.you're the one already hoping the Bills season was over
Like I said you can go somewhere else and talk to actual people right now you don't have to wait until tomorrow.1...no you didn't and 2...no I can't..I plan on getting up early to go to the game tomorrow...cause I didn't quit on my team :up:

OpIv37
10-21-2006, 08:16 PM
so you like to harp on the negatives non stop so that everyone goes around with a dark cloud over their head like you..I got it :up:
You like feeling miserable so you want everyone to feel the same way.

All I'm asking is...the night before the game...people are trying to feel good...look forward to the game and you gotta rain on the parade. There's 6 other days you'll be doing that as it is :laughter:

Besides, the question posed to start the thread was.."do we have a shot?"...not "How many reasons can you find that we shouldn't win?"

I see, so your positive analysis as to why we might win is an acceptable response to the "do we have a shot?" question, but my more pessimistic analysis isn't a valid response. that makes perfect sense :rolleyes:

If you want to measure how much of a shot we have, you have to consider BOTH the positive and the negative. You don't get to simply ignore any evidence that doesn't support your point of view.

Why would I like feeling miserable? What I don't understand about some of you is the fact that this team has been horrific lately but you still desperately cling to cliches like "any given Sunday" so you don't have to be upset about how bad the team is. It's total ostrich syndrome.

Don't get mad at me because you're incapable of enjoying the game without ignoring the reality of the Bills' chances.

Typ0
10-21-2006, 08:20 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=1692660&postcount=21
pure idiocy
you're the one already hoping the Bills season was over1...no you didn't and 2...no I can't..I plan on getting up early to go to the game tomorrow...cause I didn't quit on my team :up:

then you better go to bed because you're going to have a long day tomorrow.

The_Philster
10-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Your pessimistic analysis doesn't answer the question....unless it's to say we don't have a shot....in which case I'd like to know where you got the info that we've already lost tomorrow's game before we even played it.

As for ignoring evidence...pot--kettle--black
I don't ignore it...but I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow...getting excited...which means I'll focus on the positives instead of think about Gandy's putrid blocking, the CBs playing off, Triplett being a rotten signing so far, etc

And I'm far from mad at you, Op...believe me, you'd know if I was mad at ya :up:

The_Philster
10-21-2006, 08:22 PM
then you better go to bed because you're going to have a long day tomorrow.
after the Sabres finish humiliating the Bruins :snicker: :up:

raphael120
10-21-2006, 08:25 PM

well you know what, i do have optimism for bills games, then the first quarter happens, and you already KNOW the bills are going to lose because theyre already digging their own graves on the field.

OpIv37
10-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Your pessimistic analysis doesn't answer the question....unless it's to say we don't have a shot....in which case I'd like to know where you got the info that we've already lost tomorrow's game before we even played it.

As for ignoring evidence...pot--kettle--black
I don't ignore it...but I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow...getting excited...which means I'll focus on the positives instead of think about Gandy's putrid blocking, the CBs playing off, Triplett being a rotten signing so far, etc

And I'm far from mad at you, Op...believe me, you'd know if I was mad at ya :up:

it doesn't entirely answer the question but it does shed some light on the topic at hand.

I guess it's just a different way of thinking. I prefer to focus on all the evidence and go into the game with reasonable expectations. You obviously approach it differently.

And just for the record, I don't always think we're going to lose. I fully expected us to beat the Lions and the Jets- it didn't happen, but IMO it was a reasonable expectation going in.

The_Philster
10-21-2006, 08:27 PM
well you know what, i do have optimism for bills games, then the first quarter happens, and you already KNOW the bills are going to lose because theyre already digging their own graves on the field.
35-3 ;)

OpIv37
10-21-2006, 08:27 PM

I absolutely hate that feeling- unfortunately this team causes it almost every time.

Contrast that with how I feel watching ND- they trailed most of the game but I never felt like they were going to lose because of how the team approached the situation and the way they were playing/acting on the field.

raphael120
10-21-2006, 08:31 PM
yeah, the bills face adversity with fifteen 3 and outs.

raphael120
10-21-2006, 08:33 PM
if they win the game tomorrow, yeh i know the season is rebuilding and theyre not going to the playoffs, but once, JUST ONCE, i want to see that baby brady on the sidelines bein all pouty because THE BILLS BEAT HIM

Typ0
10-21-2006, 08:33 PM
I would have a lot more optimism about tomorrow if the PATS weren't coming off a bye with the opportunity to wrap up the division in week seven. They aren't that good of a team but they are better than we are. This isn't the week they are going to fall.

OpIv37
10-21-2006, 08:35 PM
I would have a lot more optimism about tomorrow if the PATS weren't coming off a bye with the opportunity to wrap up the division in week seven. They aren't that good of a team but they are better than we are. This isn't the week they are going to fall.

I'm really getting frustrated with the rest of this division just handing it to the Pats all the time. The Patriots are not nearly as good this year as they've been for the last 3-4 seasons, but unfortunately the rest of our division is still inferior to them.

Typ0
10-21-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm really getting frustrated with the rest of this division just handing it to the Pats all the time. The Patriots are not nearly as good this year as they've been for the last 3-4 seasons, but unfortunately the rest of our division is still inferior to them.

they weren't any good last year either yet they keep inheriting chances to get to the SB with good seeds because the rest of the teams in this division are organizational jokes. Once you get to the playoffs, and you can grab a bye you are talking about winning TWO games to get to the SB.

HHURRICANE
10-21-2006, 08:46 PM

Yeah, I have to say that we probably blew our chance of beating them this year in week 1. I think it will be a double digit loss. Brady was bummed about not having branch but of course he has some new targets. Their running game is scary against a defense that sucks at stopping the run. It won't be the chicago game but it won't be far off.

YardRat
10-21-2006, 08:57 PM
We need turnovers from the defense or special teams...three minimum. The offense needs to take advantage and score off the TO's. No turnovers for our offense or returners. Pound the ball with McGahee AND Thomas. Go deep once per quarter on first down. Special teams need to dominate field position. Bend but don't break against Maroney and Dillon, get to to the seams quicker to defend the pass. Better tackling than we had against Chicago and Detroit. No failed trick plays. Few penalties, and zero drive-killers/savers. Individual players have to concentrate on winning their individual match-ups and being in the spot their supposed to be in...don't worry about what the other 10 guys are doing or trying to cover for them.

If we can do all that, we've got an outside shot of pulling off the win.

Philagape
10-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Never say never, but I'm afraid Maroney will trample us and JP will be running for his life again. The Pats have six weeks of films of us this time, and 2 weeks to watch them.

PECKERWOOD
10-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Turnovers, ST and Run game. Thats how we win, IMO. We need to dominate the TOP to have a chance.