PDA

View Full Version : Chris Brown on Offensive Line play

BILLSROCK1212
10-21-2006, 06:12 PM
STRONG OFFENSIVE LINE PLAY: I was talking to some other media members about J.P. and some of them thought Carson Palmer would be a fair comparison, but I disagreed. Palmer came to a team that had two solid tackles and former first round picks (Willie Anderson and Levi Jones), a top notch guard (Eric Steinbach) and a quality veteran center (Rich Braham). Losman didn't have that coming in like Palmer did. Not to be a Losman apologist, but to prove my point look at what Palmer has done since his left tackle Levi Jones has been out with an injury as well as Rich Braham. The offense in Cincy is struggling, Palmer isn't the same.
For more proof look at Pasquarelli's column
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2632904.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

kernowboy
10-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Agreed.

It easier to be a good QB if you have great protection. Thats why I like what the Jets have done, bringing in Ferguson and Mangold, and being able to start Clemens next season.

Its not impossible to be a great QB behind a poor line, especially if you have come from a pro offence in college, but it makes things a hell of a lot more challenging

BILLSROCK1212
10-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Agreed.

It easier to be a good QB if you have great protection. Thats why I like what the Jets have done, bringing in Ferguson and Mangold, and being able to start Clemens next season.

Its not impossible to be a great QB behind a poor line, especially if you have come from a pro offence in college, but it makes things a hell of a lot more challenging
unless Pennington totally breaks down they are not starting Clemens next year

RedEyE
10-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Does that make Detroit an exception to the rule?

BILLSROCK1212
10-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Kitna doesnt play well, he is very inconsistent

Mahdi
10-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Detroit is 1-5, they are the definition of it.

gr8slayer
10-22-2006, 01:00 AM
Palmer isnt the same and neither is Rudy Johnson.

kernowboy
10-22-2006, 04:47 AM
Kitna doesnt play well, he is very inconsistent

At least Kitna has Jeff Backus protecting his ass. LT is the most important member of the line and we seem to have ranked it as number 5

kernowboy
10-22-2006, 04:49 AM
unless Pennington totally breaks down they are not starting Clemens next year

I sort of agree, but based on the potential of Clemens and the size of Penningtons contract, if they don't have a winning season, they may decide to cut Chris loose and spend the cap space elsewhere.

Night Train
10-22-2006, 05:34 AM
Many here will now call you a JP boyfriend.

Don't be intimidated by their tin foil hats and awesome logic.

BILLSROCK1212
10-22-2006, 08:10 AM
I sort of agree, but based on the potential of Clemens and the size of Penningtons contract, if they don't have a winning season, they may decide to cut Chris loose and spend the cap space elsewhere.Pennington restructured his

kernowboy
10-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Pennington restructured his

But depending where the Jets end up, they may just decided to give Kelley the shot next season if he does well in pre-season. He is very much the future.

I guess the point I was trying to make, was that both us and the Jets, fundamentally changed both sides of the ball with the coaching changes. Marv decided to go defence first rather than offence, us with Whitner/McCargo, the Jets with Ferguson/Mangold.

I can quite easily see a complete reverse in next years draft with the Jets focusing on defensive needs and us focusing on the Offensive Line especially as the Jets seem to have found Martin's replacement in Leon Washington.

Whilst there will be those who will ***** about the need to go after a shiny nice big name, I'd be happy with a big ugly OL in R1 followed by a big ugly OL in R2 and if we can trade down for our R1 pick, I wouldn't be devastated with a big ugly OL with an extra pick in R3 as well even though I think we might want to add a LB for depth in case TKO or FB leave and a NT to add to the rotation.

The draft should go

R1 OL
R2 OL
R3 LB or DT
(or extra pick gained in R3 DT or LB)
R4 DT, LB or if a decent one drops and we can't upgrade in FA, TE
R6 Best available player
R7 Best available player

With the last two rounds I'd be happy to move our R6 into a lower R6 or a R7 as there is always someone like Colston, or Baskett, hovering about there.

And I want our guys on the phone no more than 3 secs after the draft to get some OFA into camp because there always seem to be one or two who somehow drop there and pull a surprise.