• Show
Clear All
  • Bufftp
    Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Drury and Co. leave B’s feeling dreary: Sabres flex their muscle at Garden

Drury and Co. leave B’s feeling dreary: Sabres flex their muscle at Garden

It’s still early, and the Bruins did give an honest effort last night against a vastly superior team. Still, their 6-2 thrashing at the hands of the undefeated Buffalo Sabres was not a pretty sight.
    Despite playing pretty hard and fairly well much of the night at TD Banknorth Garden, the Bruins were no match for the high-flying Sabres (8-0-0), who got a pair of goals from ex-Boston University star Chris Drury (Nos. 8 and 9) and a big night from so-called third-liners Maxim Afinogenov, Thomas Vanek and Derek Roy.
    Maybe the biggest concern was goaltending, as the B’s again got a shaky performance from Hannu Toivonen (17 shots, four goals in 22:56). Having given up 28 goals in seven games, the B’s just are not getting the big save when they need it.

Toivonen handed the Sabres their second goal when he somehow dropped his stick as he went to clear a puck.
    The subpar goaltending lends some credence to the trade rumors involving Glen Murray and San Jose goalie Evgeni Nabokov, although the general postgame sentiment in the B’s camp was that there is no reason to start making changes.
    “We are definitely not pressing any panic button in this room,” said veteran defenseman Nathan Dempsey, a key guy now after Brad Stuart (broken finger) joined Andrew Alberts on the injured list.
    The B’s yielded three power-play goals, and have given up 10 in seven games - a big reason they are 2-4-1. Their own power play, meanwhile, again looked out of sync and was 0-for-4.
    So, a number of small failures again added up to a loss. This is a team with little margin for error, and one that will be hard-pressed to deal with the growing injury list.

More
    Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
    "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
    Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
    - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
    to be led by permanent ideals -
    that is what keeps a man patient
    when the world ignores him,
    and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

• YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Drury and Co. leave B’s feeling dreary: Sabres flex their muscle at Garden

I love seeing phrases like "vastly superior" once again being used for Buffalo professional sports
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• GThirst
      • Jul 2006

Its kind of wierd.

I always liked us being the underdog with a vicious bite, having that aura around like a cinderella story like team.

But now we are cinderella, all big and mean. And its wierd.

Comment

• SABuffalo786
        • Feb 2003

Originally posted by GThirst
        And its wierd.

This is a completely new experience for us.

Total domination.

Even our Cup teams weren't this potent...

Truly bizarre.
        "Do me a favor, say a prayer for brother Timmy. And tip a cold one. Go Bills." - Tom Brokaw

We are the Rockpile
        We are the Rockpile
        We are the Rockpile
        BUFF-A-LO

Comment

• SabreEleven
          • Aug 2002

Please don't wake me up. Please.

Comment

• JD
            Sabres Zone
            • Sep 2003

I was thinking the same thing, I hope this isnt one big crazy dream.
            “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by SabreEleven
              Please don't wake me up. Please.

I was thinking the same thing, I hope this isnt one big crazy dream.
              I am there:

This season has been like a dream so far. We have the best team in the NHL that can score lots of goals at a moments notice, crush our opponents bodies & make the best saves when needed. We are the total package and I want to be the first to say, I have to be dreaming. Please don't pinch me and wake me up, please.

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
                Closet Bills Fan
                • Nov 2004

the best part is not only is the team playing hot, especially when biron/miller aren't a-game....... the offense helps out....... especially with alot of players scoring, so you can't focus on one particular player

j-e-t-s
                jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

Working...
                X