• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Larry Felser on Losman

Pretty damn candid, no babying Losman from Felser.. And before the "this piece sucks" rants start, this is a Hall of Famer writer and probably the most respected columnist who's ever written for the Buffalo News.

So how about looking at the column OBJECTIVELY and discussing.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Ron Burgundy
    • Nov 2005

Re: Larry Felser on Losman

It's spot on, of course...a lot of people have already been saying this, too.

It's also depressing...I hate having to go through ANOTHER quarterback thing. The next one better be the right one, damnit.

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

pretty good read. Another qualified individual refuting the "every idiot can see" statements by the buttlickers.

Comment

• Kerr
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Feb 2005

He makes valid points, but fairchild and jauron have to help jp succeed. He's not a pure pocket qb, never has been, never will be. But they sure try to use him as one, which is a travesty.

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Kerr
          He makes valid points, but fairchild and jauron have to help jp succeed. He's not a pure pocket qb, never has been, never will be. But they sure try to use him as one, which is a travesty.

he's got to demonstrate he can drop back, make his reads and throw a pass before they move him around. If they start moving him around he's going to revert to running way too much when there are plays downfield to be made with the players on this team who should be making those plays. It's pretty clear to me this is the truth since I've been watching JP Losman take off too quickly since he got here. A QB doing that is not going to last in this league. When/if he gets his head out of his ass and starts acting like an NFL QB back there he will gain confidence to make those plays downfield and that confidence will get on a level with his confidence running around. Then and only then will he be ready to make the decision about running around.

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

everything seems to have been baby steps forward and giant leaps backwards with JP. He starts off well. Plays a good smart game and keeps the mistakes down. But then he lets something get in his head and starts leaping backwards. It's very frustrating.

Comment

• mybills
              81 st zoner
              • Jul 2002

In order to avoid having his head handed to him, Losman's decision-making must improve quickly.

No chit dick tracey.

He's already shown us that he can make quick decisions (other than the last 2 games) so I know he can do it again.
              I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

I just don't think JP can get to that next level. While I believe he will at least have another 3-4 weeks of play time to prove that he can, I don't doubt for a second that we may see some Nall before it's all said and done.

Comment

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                  http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...22/1058394.asp

Pretty damn candid, no babying Losman from Felser.. And before the "this piece sucks" rants start, this is a Hall of Famer writer and probably the most respected columnist who's ever written for the Buffalo News.

So how about looking at the column OBJECTIVELY and discussing.
                  I agree with some of what Felser says but I do have a couple of gripes.

1) The QB is the most important part of the team but not the entire team. I have no doubt that part of Marv/Dick's thinking was there could be the equal of Leinhart at QB in the 2007 draft but not of Whitner at S and looking at this long term that was the better move. Plus until they gave JP a full season, drafting an extra QB would be a foolish decision especially if JP came/comes good.

I still think the jury is out and that is down to having a sieve of an OL and no big target to offload to. People saying he holds onto the ball too long but its much easier to offload if you can see a 6ft5 TE or a 6ft3 or 4 WR. He has a TE who doesn't know how to catch and WRs at 5ft11, 5ft10 and 5ft11

I am getting a little tired of hearing about Cutler, its like hearing about Clemens at NYJ. Until he plays in a real game, the jury is out. If Cutler was a major step up, Shanahan would have pulled Plummer.

2) I am aware that the Cardinals do not have a good OL but to say ours is superior goes against all evidence and reason. The current Buffalo OL could well be the worse in the history of the game. What I have been arguing is that while Gandy remains at LT, we will never really truly see what we have in JP. Yes he shouldn't take as many sacks, yes he shouldn't hold on to the ball so much, yes he should try to throw the ball away more, but equally it might help if he had some targets larger than mini-me who could compensate for a poor throw, or if he wasn't getting creamed or expecting to get creamed every play.

Those calling for a QB with our first round pick are flying in the face of evidence. Sticking Brady Quinn or Brian Brohm, or Troy Smith behind our current line with the current receiving options is madness. It wouldn't surprise me if they pulled a Eli Manning and refused to play !!!!

The team's problems require surgery not a bandaid. The latter was the Donahoe approach. I am sure that Marv will realise this.

We absolutely must shake up the OL and looking at impending FA it looks like the draft will be the only way so

1) we must not move up to draft a QB
                  2) if we go for a QB in R1, we must go OL in R2 and R3 and try to get LB, TE and WR support in FA.
                  3) if a decent QB like Drew Stanton fell to us in R2 having had a R1 pick on one of the top OTs like Thomas, Baker, Long, Brown or maybe trading down and getting Doug Free and an extra pick if he is towards the bottom of R1, then I could live with that
                  4) if we draft a QB and no OL support, then we will be drafting No1 in 2008.

We must also consider how the QB plays and design an offence around him, not design an offence and then squeeze a QB into it like a square peg going into a round hole

Comment

Originally posted by Typ0
                    pretty good read. Another qualified individual refuting the "every idiot can see" statements by the buttlickers.
                    Every idiot can see that in front of every QB there needs to be an OL worthy of the name, plus more than one triple covered WR, not a collection of Turnstyles and those with the strength of wet paper tissue.

Reading threads from so called 'buttlickers' ....and I would like to see JP replaced at some point as well ... is that what they say is ultimately even Peyton Manning would look shocking behind our line.

Manning also looks good because in addition, he has a pass catching TE who he can offload to.

Leinharts receivers are Pope 6ft8, Boldin 6ft1, Fitzgerald 6ft3, and Johnson 6ft3. Even if his line is awful which it is, his targets are visible.

Those like Brady with smaller targets like Brady have much superior lines.

We have neither height at receiver nor a OL which isn't a total embarassment. Until this is fixed it won't matter who we have at QB

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
                      by the buttlickers.
                      who are you reffering to here?
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• mybills
                        81 st zoner
                        • Jul 2002

Do you really care, Tatonka? I don't.
                        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• IAG
                          • Jan 2005

I do not like Losman, but I like Felser even less. He is ancient and looks like Yukon Corneilus from Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatonka
                            who are you reffering to here?
                            He's pathetic isn't he.

It the old Tom Donahoe solution. "We are close to SB, just one big Marque name..... no honest, the OL is good enough ....."

BOLLOCKS as we'd exclaim in the UK

I'd have more respect if it wasn't all JP hating but an acknowledgement that while JP is backsliding, no QB is going to make much of a step up while we have problems at OL, TE, and big No2 WR

and that is just one side of the ball.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

People saying he holds onto the ball too long but its much easier to offload if you can see a 6ft5 TE or a 6ft3 or 4 WR. He has a TE who doesn't know how to catch and WRs at 5ft11, 5ft10 and 5ft11
                              Sorry, but I disagree. QB's throw to a spot on a designed play and it doesn't matter whether you're 6'5" or 5'8". The more important factor is the QB's ability to discern whether or not the 'spot' is covered by the defensive scheme.

The current Buffalo OL could well be the worse in the history of the game.
                              Disagree again. Not the best, certainly not the worst. Otherwise McGahee wouldn't be toward the top of the pack in rushing yards.

We must also consider how the QB plays and design an offence around him, not design an offence and then squeeze a QB into it like a square peg going into a round hole
                              JP isn't good enough to have an entire offense geared to his 'talents'. Only individuals that have the ability to completely control a game are worthy of that. Not having an individual that fits that description, you're better off designing a successful scheme, and then acquire and plug in players that fit the scheme.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X