PDA

View Full Version : Peerless Price can be traded as long as.....

clumping platelets
02-27-2003, 07:05 AM
he doesn't sign the 1 yr tender. Remember the 24 hr sign-n-trade provision. Once he signs, the Bills have 24 hrs to trade him.

Buffarama
02-27-2003, 07:16 AM
What is he intending to sign then?

Tatonka
02-27-2003, 07:39 AM
wait.. are you saying that if he signs his one year deal, then there is absolutely no option but to keep him for the year at 5 mill or sign him to a long term deal???

that cant be right.. td wouldnt put himself in that spot.

Earthquake Enyart
02-27-2003, 08:10 AM
He's calling the Bills bluff to try to turn the tables on TD.

lordofgun
02-27-2003, 08:16 AM
They should lock the doors at OBD until a deal with Atlanta is reached. :D

clumping platelets
02-27-2003, 08:22 AM
Bills have tendered the franchise tag.........thus if Peerless accepts it, he can sign it at any time. Peerless and his agent ARE forcing TD's hand and that will land him with another team. If Peerless walked into OBD tomorrow morning and signed the tender, TD has 24 hrs in which to trade him to: retain franchise tag and not have any cap charge. I'm learning more about this and will keep y'all informed.

Ebenezer
02-27-2003, 08:25 AM
As I said yesterday...somewhere on the boards...either a sign and trade or a long term deal will be done...probably within the next 48...McGee is burning bridges.

WG
02-27-2003, 08:31 AM
It's a smart move. The Eagles hosed Trotter over last season by placing the tag on him and then lifted it later on.

McGee and Price know that the Bills would be ill-advised to sign Price for only one year. It doesn't set up any sort of trust relationship, especially after Price's intentions were different that what would be happening in Buffalo. The Bills would be losing out in that they'd be paying huge bucks to a #2 WR for only one year. I can't imagine for the life of me why we would even want to hang onto Price for only one year when our defensive upgrades would mean so much more to the team. We'd be in the exact same spot next year then.

This whole thing sounds to me like TD is simply trying to use Price as leverage when he has little leverage in the situation. If Price doesn't sign the one-year, then it's gonna be a race. A race to see who gets the better end of the bargain w/ the Bills' upside extremely limited!

At worst, Price would get $5M and another year to showcase his skills for next season's FAcy market. At best, he'd be traded to a team that wants to make him their premier WR and for more money in a L/T contract w/ a large bonus no doubt.

For the Bills, at best, they'd get a draft pick or two out of a team, who knows what kind. But their options there are limited as well in that we can only accept what's offered. At worst, the Bills cannot upgrade their D significantly and have Price for yet another year. The problem with that is that offense only went so far this past season w/o a D that would only be marginally better if at all this upcoming season.

Meanwhile, time is not Donahoe's friend in this situation. As time passes, the draft will only be about 7 weeks away beginning this Saturday. As teams sign other players, Atlanta and others may take other WRs available and decide better to get two for less than it would cost to sign Price that to risk much on Price, a WR who has only had one decent season. As time passes, cap room decreases, the Bills lose out on players they need, and it's not a good situation for Buffalo.

At some point, and this is something that not many are considering, we have to decide when it's not worth a potential 2nd or 3rd round draft pick, or even a first, to allow many key players that we could sign on D to slip away. Or perhaps a whole unit if we can get a decent DT, DE, and OLB w/ ~$8-10M instead of having to save our $4-5M to try and sign 4 or 5 players with who are merely starter caliber. One decent caliber player at one position can help offset shortcomings elsewhere, so there'd be some synergy in signing a "name" or two. Getting a handful of mediocre players simply to fill positions where we have no starters doesn't accomplish that.

It just doesn't make any sense to me in spite of these "not so rooted in reality" hopes that we're somehow gonna land a first round pick for Price. It's a huge risk and one that has an enormous downside.

In any case, Donahoe promised to fix the D this season and so far he's started off doing exactly the opposite. If this ends w/ Price ending up on the Bills for this year or with us having to wait until June 1st cuts before signing any players while many best suited for the Bills players slip away, TD will have lost some credibility in my book. This is a very key offseason for him IMO. The cap has been reduced and is not an issue. He set himself up for this offseason. The single general thing that will make us more competitive next season is improving the defense to the best of our ability and finding some players where the Bills have no real bonafide starters at the moment, namely at DT and two at OLB.

clumping platelets
02-27-2003, 08:33 AM
:huh:

Bills release Riemersma and they have $8.1 million to play with. That's with the tenders and Price's tag.

TedMock
02-27-2003, 08:45 AM
Price's agent said yesterday that they'll probably sign the papers within a week. CBS Sportsline says that there are 3 teams very interested in Price with Atlanta being the biggest suitors. Unfortunately they're pick is 23rd but take what you can get. If Arizona or Washington gives the offer then it's a no brainer..5th and 13th picks respectively. The Bills also met with the Falcons yesterday per espn radio this morning. At least one deal seems to be done, we just have to see what else is offered in the next few days. Golic and Greenburg on espn radio this morning were all over Price's jock. They were raving about how talented he is and what a great move that would be for Atlanta. We'll see.

Bulldog
02-27-2003, 08:46 AM
Meanwhile, time is not Donahoe's friend in this situation. As time passes, the draft will only be about 7 weeks away beginning this Saturday. As teams sign other players, Atlanta and others may take other WRs available and decide better to get two for less than it would cost to sign Price that to risk much on Price, a WR who has only had one decent season. As time passes, cap room decreases, the Bills lose out on players they need, and it's not a good situation for Buffalo.

Let Atlanta and other teams sign the other WRs, just means less options for Peerless. At that point, TD could take the tag off and then let Peerless test the FA waters. Td is no dummy, he knows what he is doing!

Ð
02-27-2003, 08:50 AM
Welcome to Fantasy Island ;)

WG
02-27-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
:huh:

Bills release Riemersma and they have $8.1 million to play with. That's with the tenders and Price's tag.

So let's go out and spend $7 M on two monster OLBs and/or a DT!

When you say "play with", presumably you are counting all the bucks that it will take to sign some backups and other positions as well, not to mention rookies.

$5M is a huge chunk of change and it doesn't change the O at all from what we had last season. Figure out of that $8M or so to "play with", we have to fill 2 OLB spots, 1 DT, and 1 DE presumably, unless we want to enter this season w/ questionable injury laden players there. What kind of OLBs, DTs, and DEs are we gonna land with an aggregate $6M or so?

Say what you will, until I see a trade being offered, common sense screams that we're gonna blow a butload of opportunity costs simply to try and salvage a draft pick out of this whole thing w/ Price. Several of you talk as if it's a given that we end up w/ a first. I don't see it, and until it happens, we don't have a thing.

TD would have to be more than smart to fix our D with less than $10 or $12M. He'd have to be a miracle worker. It ain't gonna happen for that kind of cash. Sure, we'll get some players, but how good will they actually be? Like Teague, where we get a tweener to play DE for us who's undersized and where we try to play him out of position again? Or what? What DTs, DEs, and OLBs currently on the market are we going to pickup to try and fill 4 key, very key, slots for $8M, assuming we could blow the entire 8 on those?

Name them? I just don't see it. If Price is gonna go for what you all think he is, given that he may not, then DTs, DEs, and OLBs in this offseason in which Tampa just placed a premium on defensive talent aren't going to come cheaply. My guess is that there will be plenty of WRs available who averaged ~500 yards prior to this year who would be fine in our system where Drew throws the ball to them 150+ times.

I wanna see a D on the field this season, not tons of passing yardage records and other nonsense that doesn't win games.

TedMock
02-27-2003, 10:31 AM
I think we need D help desperately too but I feel that while we have 4 needs, fixing 2 would make an enormous difference. The most important spot is DT. Whether it's via FA or if we happen to get a first rounder for Price, that's the biggest need. Somebody to take double off of big Pat and cause a little havoc up the gut could make a huge difference. The 2nd necessity is an outside backer. We have a good guy in the middle and some decent "other" guys. If given a big, fat DT and a playmaker at OLB the "other" guys could do an adequate job. Don't get me wrong, I'd like 4 but I think 2 could make a huge impact. The one thing going for us is that DT's are deepest in this year's draft.

WG
02-27-2003, 10:41 AM
And what kind of players do you think we'd manage to get with only say $5 or 6M?

Say we sign a name DT. That would blow the load. Then what, peon OLBs and a DE?

That's my point. For the money we have left, we'll only have the option of signing one big player and if that, then we'd have to settle for either inexperience or mediocrity at the rest. By adding $5M to that pool, that'd be $5M above and beyond what we could spend now b/c we've already taken into account money for rookies and backups in our first estimate. So that's an extra $5M that could be spent on 2-3 players.

HUGE IMO!!! HUGE, and quite possibly the difference between what's gonna make us a true SB contender or a pretender w/ offensive records comin' out of our a$$ but no D to contend in the POs.

WG
02-27-2003, 10:43 AM
And spend the rest of the money on a DT is what we'd have to do in spite of not having any OLBs now. B/c otherwise we run the risk again of allowing 130+ rushing yards per game. I don't care how good our pass D is, if we allow that kind of rushing, then we ain't goin' anywhere but to .500 again.

I'm tellin' ya, this potential signing of Price would be a fatal move towards our true ability to win the big dance this season. The more I think about it the more it stands to reason.

And all those names that I put up in the preseason series of FAs available at each position will essentially be out of reach for us b/c we won't have the bucks to be competitive for them. The "next tier" kicks in as we waste our cap space on stuff that's already failed us.

Tatonka
02-27-2003, 11:13 AM
wys beats you with his point, like a goalie being peppered with shots, until you get it..

/waves a white flag

:lol:

TedMock
02-27-2003, 11:20 AM
I agree with what you're saying Wys. I don't think we have the money to sign 4. I think if Price is gone we have the money to get 2 excellent players. Who? I don't know yet. I feel very strongly that D is the most important need and that Josh Reed will be as good as, albeit different receiver than Price. They could sign a cheap speed guy later who's good for 40 catches, they're a dime a dozen. I think Price should be signed and traded for the right eh-hem...price....ha ha, get it? Ok back to serious... Right now we have money for 1 guy, you're right. Losing Price will make money for another but the risk we take there is whether or not this supposed 1st rounder will pan out, provided of course the Atlanta or whoever else deal is the real thing. If not, I also hope to god they lift the tag and let him go.