PDA

View Full Version : Shawne Merriman to be suspended for steriods

Ickybaluky
10-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Wow. 4 games. Big blow for the Chargers.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2635475)

BILLSROCK1212
10-22-2006, 09:23 PM
no wonder he is so f-in good

Bling
10-22-2006, 09:29 PM
"Oh yeah... he's such a good player, but so great off the field.."

STFU. I love how they all came from the hood, and are such great people off the field because we gave them a chance.

RockStar36
10-22-2006, 10:07 PM

STFU. I love how they all came from the hood, and are such great people off the field because we gave them a chance.

Huh?

jmb1099
10-22-2006, 10:33 PM
I was wondering the same thing

Huh?

PECKERWOOD
10-22-2006, 10:54 PM
I cant say, I'm surprised. How about Dem Bear's defense?

SABURZFAN
10-22-2006, 11:03 PM
that's a shame that merriman had to go that route.

BSXIII
10-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Wow, an NFL player was caught taking steroids. I am shocked. I thought that was only a problem in MLB (where guys are half the size).

Michael82
10-23-2006, 01:30 PM
It's about time the NFL starts cracking down on these cheaters! What a blow to the Chargers! :shocked:

kernowboy
10-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Its cheating.

And its down to the teams.

I bet if they had a game taken from the W column for every roster player suspended would soon cut it out especially if the W was added on for the draft. You could miss the playoffs and still not get a high draft pick

PECKERWOOD
10-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Its cheating.

I bet if they had a game taken from the W column for every roster player suspended would soon cut it out especially if the W was added on for the draft. You could miss the playoffs and still not get a high draft pick
Fantastic idea. While it may piss a few teams off, the players that got busted will never play for a franchise again.

jamze132
10-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Well in the NFL you have to have repeated the offense for it to become public. In Baseball, your first ofense becomes public and you are pretty much scrutinized the rest of your career. Take Rafael Palmeiro for example. The guy was a lock for the HoF. In his last year, he tested positive for something banned and now he will never see the HoF.

IMO, the testing and the penalties need to be stiffer in the NFL. I think that your first offense should be made public with an 8 game suspension. Do it gain, and it get's you an entire season. 3rd strike and you are given a lifetime ban. I don't know how many guys would take the chance if the penalties were that high.

But that will never happen since fans like watching 300lb guys destroying each other on the field. And I do to. But I think the integrity of the game right now is non-existent. Baseball is finally coming around with the issue. It's in the NFL's best interest to take control before the government get's involved like it did in basball and runined career's.

Michael82
10-23-2006, 06:40 PM
Its cheating.

interesting idea....

Richard Gozinya
10-23-2006, 06:45 PM

Blinga's still sour about getting his pointy hood caught in the ceiling fan at Denny's.

Crisis
10-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Its cheating.

Great idea until you have games where neither team wins.

Ickybaluky
10-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Well in the NFL you have to have repeated the offense for it to become public.

This isn't true, as the steroid policy is different than that for recreational drugs.

With recreational drugs you are entered into the program on the first offense and are tested 10-12 times a month thereafter. When you get caught the second time, you are subject to a 4 games suspension. The 3rd time you get a year.

With steroids, 7 players on each team are tested at Random every Monday during the season (this is mostl likely how Merriman was caught, along with Shaun Rogers and Matt Lehr). Any player who tests positive gest an immediate 4 game suspension (you don't get a free pass), and is subject to testing 10-12 times a month thereafter. The second offense is an 1 year suspension.

The NFL policy for steroids is very tough compared to other sports, probably the toughest outside of the Olympics. However, they do not test at all for HGH, and that is likely what a lot of guys are taking.

!Papacrunk!
10-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Well, with a couple of byes, I'll need his roster spot on my FFL. Crappers. (thinking to myself, I do see Lance Briggs is available.)

kernowboy
10-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Great idea until you have games where neither team wins.

In soccer they have a ruling that if the game is stopped because of home crowd trouble or a side looses to a team with a not properly registered player the other team can often be awarded a 3-0 win unless there are extenuating cirmcumstances

Unsurprisingly most teams make sure their paper work is in order, that their home crowds behave. In Spain they are thinking of using it to stop rascist chanting. You abandom the game and penalise the offending team

Can't see why it can't be used in the NFL. If the the Pats beat the Bills and then a player fails a drugs test, then the Bills get the win. Obviously performance enhancing drugs would need to be involved but it would only happen once, maybe twice and drugs are eradicated. It forces teams to make sure that their players are not on these drugs.

In virtually every international sport the bans are not just initially a few odd games, they are for months.And make testing mandatory. The UK have just had a young athlete banned for 12 months for missing a drugs test. Not failing one but not being where she said she'd be on 3 occasions to be tested. Apparently the testers were inundated the next day with athletes updating their movements

Ickybaluky
10-24-2006, 10:32 AM
In virtually every international sport the bans are not just initially a few odd games, they are for months.And make testing mandatory. The UK have just had a young athlete banned for 12 months for missing a drugs test. Not failing one but not being where she said she'd be on 3 occasions to be tested. Apparently the testers were inundated the next day with athletes updating their movements

In the NFL, a missed test is considered a positive as well. You get a positive if your sample is too diluted (drank too much water or masking fluids beforehand) as well. In either case, the player gets punished like he tested positive.