PDA

View Full Version : DT Troubles.....

Mahdi
10-23-2006, 12:46 AM
I was just thinking about our pass rush and when you watch the first half our DEs were really getting to Brady with three sacks and a lot of pressures. But the DTs were no where to be found. At halftime im almost certain that the Pats game plan was for Brady to simply step up in the pocket on every pass play and make his throw, which is exactly what happened. Our DTs are not getting it done and its keeping our DEs from making plays. Schobel and Kelsay were forcing Brady inside where there should have been one of our penetrating DTs but there wasnt. That being said I think this defense depended a lot on Triplett being a playmaker and he hasnt, which is severely hurting us.

BADTHINGSMAN
10-23-2006, 01:30 AM
I was just thinking about our pass rush and when you watch the first half our DEs were really getting to Brady with three sacks and a lot of pressures. But the DTs were no where to be found. At halftime im almost certain that the Pats game plan was for Brady to simply step up in the pocket on every pass play and make his throw, which is exactly what happened. Our DTs are not getting it done and its keeping our DEs from making plays. Schobel and Kelsay were forcing Brady inside where there should have been one of our penetrating DTs but there wasnt. That being said I think this defense depended a lot on Triplett being a playmaker and he hasnt, which is severely hurting us.

Shows how much Freeney getting doubled free'd up Triplett when he was a Colt..

kernowboy
10-23-2006, 01:45 AM
Agreed.

I think the problem is the two other pick ups we might have made in FA, Pickett, and Kemotaeu have being doing equally nothing. I think Tripplett may be a road block for McCargo when he comes back.

Unfortunately the problem we have, is that free agency this off season is looking poor.

Additionally the problem with the draft, is it will be a poor year if Alan Branch, Frank Oram and Red Bryant don't come out. There are a number of very similar undersized DTs, under 300lbs, who will go higher than they deserve because of a lack of alternatives.

Ultimately we may face looking a Day2 for a sleeper or two or look at someone who might drop due to past injury issues etc. The alternative is looking at a lesser retread or bust and consider whether we can turn around their career here. I think someone like Dorian DeRoisa of Saginaw Valley St or JP Bekasiak from Toledo could be a 6th,7th or OFA pickup who have the ahtletic potentional.

Maybe we might get lucky and find our new Pat Williams in the bargain bucket. We sure as hell need him.