X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

TKO

I hate to say it, but I think the chances are pretty slim he'll ever be the same again. I had hoped that last week was an aberration...a sign of rust from not playing more than a handful of snaps in over a year. He was invisible again yesterday...and honestly, I think he knew he would be. Coming out of the tunnel, he's always pumped up and ready to play. The fire that was in his eyes before that achilles injury was gone. Hell, he had more fire in his eyes at the end of last season even on crutches then I saw yesterday
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: TKO

I bet he asks to leave and we make him a cap cut. Probably would be best for both sides.

I agree, he currently looks like a shell of his former self.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• The_Philster
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
      I bet he asks to leave and we make him a cap cut. Probably would be best for both sides.

I agree, he currently looks like a shell of his former self.
      I'd like to think he could still improve...but I think it's highly unlikely. I think his best shot is to move onto another team with a different system. Perhaps he's simply unable to fit into the Cover Two
      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

I agree with you so far, but I think we need to give him a little time.

I think he's very frustrated, both by the injury and by the fact this team absolutely sucks... I know for a fact a year ago he felt like they were a playoff team, now he's a wounded piece of a messed up puzzle on a team that as Jerry Sullivan said in his column today, may be playing like the worst team in the NFL.

I doubt he'll be back, mainly cause of cap reasons.. But I'd like to see how he plays in 2 weeks after the bye.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

I specifically isolated in on him yesterday, and at least right now, he's not doing too well.

Basically got pushed out of most plays.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
            • Jul 2003

You guys are being way too harsh. He is just coming back from achilles surgery, and he will probably need a year to round into form again.

Look at what happened with Julian Peterson, who had a similar injury to Spikes. In the first half of the season last year when he first returned from his injury he played 7 games and had 25 tackles and 2.5 sacks. In the second half of the season, he had 53 tackles and another .5 sacks.

However, this year after another offseason and year away from the injury he already has 40 tackles and 6 sacks through his first 6 games. he looks like his old self.

Spikes just needs time, he has only been back a couple games. He should start showing flashes of his old form in late November and December, and by next season he will be back. I realize he is due $9.5M is salary in the next 2 seasons, but you will take a chance on losing one heck of a player if you give up on him too early.

Comment

• The King
              Without me it's just Awe so
              • Jun 2004

Spikes has been a lethal weapon in the NFL for years... way to judge him after one week. Especially in a game where the D spent 70% of the time on the field.
              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
              It was all
              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

he isn't ever going to be the same again. Some need to realize that.

Comment

• The King
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ICE74129
                  Im sorry but play one week one.... leads me to believe otherwise.
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

Julian Peterson is possibly an exception to the general rule in that achillies injuries are a career killer.

This is compounded by the Tampa2 curtailing the way TKO would normally play.

We only keep him next season because we can't afford to resign FB to what he'll want and what he'll contribute and I am concerned by our lack of starting depth especially after looking at current FA options there are

Comment

• ICE74129
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by MBBedard
                      Im sorry but play one week one.... leads me to believe otherwise.
                      What play? The fact he blitzed and no one even touched him on the way to brady? hell any one of us on the board can sack brady if the hole to him is like that.

Outside of that, he hasn't played that great. Certainly not worthy of the money he is getting.

Comment

• The King
                        • Jun 2004

google image search torn achilles.....
                        It was all

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by kernowboy
                          Julian Peterson is possibly an exception to the general rule in that achillies injuries are a career killer.
                          I love how people spout off with generalities, instead of taking the time to find out the facts. Show a little patience before you bury the guy, will you?

Bears S Mike Brown tore his achilles and missed the entire 2004 season. He returned last year and the beginning of this year (before suffering a season-ending foot injury against the Cardinals) and continued to play at a high level as one of the best players on the NFL's top defense.

Raiders WR Ronald Curry tore his left achilles not once, but twice, first late in 2004 and again last season. He returned to action late this preseason and has been improving by the week. Just last week he was elevated to the starting lineup for the first time and helped Oakland to their first win of the season. Curry has been improving steadily and is averaging a healthy 16.5 yards per catch.

Throw in Peterson, who is back to his old form with 6 sacks in 6 games this year, and that is 3 guys who have all come back from a similar injury to regain their old form. All 3 were players who were among the fastest at their respective positions, and they didn't lose that aspect of their game.

Like knee injuries, Achilles injuries aren't the career-enders they used to be. People think of Marino, Testaverde and Trace Armstrong, but those guys were all older. Improved surgical techniques and improves rehab are allowing guys to come back from these injuries and play at a high level. The thing is, like knee injuries, it takes time for the player to get back. Spikes is only a little more than a year out from his injury, and he was set back when he hurt his hamstring. In hindsight, the wise move would have been his easing himself back in more, but at this point the thing he needs to do is keep playing.

Spikes will be back, he just needs some time. The experiences of Julian Peterson, Mike Brown and Ronald Curry show that. Give him the time and he will be fine.
                          Last edited by Ickybaluky; 10-23-2006, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• mchurchfie
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
                            I love how people spout off with generalities, instead of taking the time to find out the facts. Show a little patience before you bury the guy, will you?

Bears S Mike Brown tore his achilles and missed the entire 2004 season. He returned last year and the beginning of this year (before suffering a season-ending foot injury against the Cardinals) and continued to play at a high level as one of the best players on the NFL's top defense.

Raiders WR Ronald Curry tore his left achilles not once, but twice, first late in 2004 and again last season. He returned to action late this preseason and has been improving by the week. Just last week he was elevated to the starting lineup for the first time and helped Oakland to their first win of the season. Curry has been improving steadily and is averaging a healthy 16.5 yards per catch.

Throw in Peterson, who is back to his old form with 6 sacks in 6 games this year, and that is 3 guys who have all come back from a similar injury to regain their old form. All 3 were players who were among the fastest at their respective positions, and they didn't lose that aspect of their game.

Like knee injuries, Achilles injuries aren't the career-enders they used to be. People think of Marino, Testaverde and Trace Armstrong, but those guys were all older. Improved surgical techniques and improves rehab are allowing guys to come back from these injuries and play at a high level. The thing is, like knee injuries, it takes time for the player to get back. Spikes is only a little more than a year out from his injury, and he was set back when he hurt his hamstring. In hindsight, the wise move would have been his easing himself back in more, but at this point the thing he needs to do is keep playing.

Spikes will be back, he just needs some time. The experiences of Julian Peterson, Mike Brown and Ronald Curry show that. Give him the time and he will be fine.
                            My Band
                            daveviterna.com

Comment

• Marvelous
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by MBBedard
                              google image search torn achilles.....
                              OK it's gross....and? Prove to me that TKO's was shredded like that...

Week 1, play 1
                              BS! He sacked Brady and Brady fumbled.. Not like he led the team in tackles and dominated teh game...

IMO Ice nailed it. He's 30 now too... Posey woulda been more effective yesterday!

Cya, A-hole. dont letthe door hit ya....Not like he accomplished ANYTHING here anyways.
                              GO BILLS!!! NE
                              Magical Trevor

Comment

Working...
                              X