PDA

View Full Version : Perry Fewell needs to go in order to have Respectable Defense!!

bigbub2352
10-23-2006, 10:19 AM
I am sorry but anyone trying to tell me that his schemes, blitzs, stunts are effective, are just wrong, i watched every play of every game this season, and all i have to say is that our DEF which was number 2 in the league just 2 years ago now is the joke of the league,

I know i am not saying anything that no body else has said, but the answer up the middle is not Larry Triplett, Tim ANderson , Kyle Williams, John McCargo, and Jason Jefferson, they are two small even 4 the cover 2, they are pushed back like 4-5 yards a play, then u have Schobel getting double teamed while Kelsay and Denney are there usual absent waful selves,

We have no playmakes, our LB corp got old and hurt fast, they are keying on Crowell, not Spikes and Fletcher which is a joke, our safties need to be helping our CBs since they are getting beat one on one and this is something i do not see, we should not have our DE dropping in pass coverage on #rd down trying to cover a TE like Ben Watson or Daniel Graham, i mean come on

Here is were i get negged or whatever, u dont take a SS with the 8 th pick overall when your Dline and Oline are in such diseree, Bunkley or Ngata would have been better then what we got no matter what there production has been this far, u could have traded back in and gotten Bulloks from Nebraska or Greg Blue from Georgia blah blah blah,

But really hasnt any one noticed we lose most of our games in the 2nd Half anyway u look at it We are being out coached by Detriot, by Maimi, by MInn remeber they were driving both teams when time ran out, THis is coaching he need to get rid of Fewell and DJ if we want to go anywhere Should of hired Mike Sherman, this is a SAD SAD team that will take at least 5-6 years to even be considered a playoff team

BillsFever21
10-23-2006, 10:26 AM
I am sorry but anyone trying to tell me that his schemes, blitzs, stunts are effective, are just wrong, i watched every play of every game this season, and all i have to say is that our DEF which was number 2 in the league just 2 years ago now is the joke of the league,

I know i am not saying anything that no body else has said, but the answer up the middle is not Larry Triplett, Tim ANderson , Kyle Williams, John McCargo, and Jason Jefferson, they are two small even 4 the cover 2, they are pushed back like 4-5 yards a play, then u have Schobel getting double teamed while Kelsay and Denney are there usual absent waful selves,

We have no playmakes, our LB corp got old and hurt fast, they are keying on Crowell, not Spikes and Fletcher which is a joke, our safties need to be helping our CBs since they are getting beat one on one and this is something i do not see, we should not have our DE dropping in pass coverage on #rd down trying to cover a TE like Ben Watson or Daniel Graham, i mean come on

Here is were i get negged or whatever, u dont take a SS with the 8 th pick overall when your Dline and Oline are in such diseree, Bunkley or Ngata would have been better then what we got no matter what there production has been this far, u could have traded back in and gotten Bulloks from Nebraska or Greg Blue from Georgia blah blah blah,

But really hasnt any one noticed we lose most of our games in the 2nd Half anyway u look at it We are being out coached by Detriot, by Maimi, by MInn remeber they were driving both teams when time ran out, THis is coaching he need to get rid of Fewell and DJ if we want to go anywhere Should of hired Mike Sherman, this is a SAD SAD team that will take at least 5-6 years to even be considered a playoff team

Can't argue with anything here. I remember a few morons proclaiming Perry Fewell as a future HC in a couple years and worrying about somebody prying him away from us after one victory against the DOLPHINS.

Jauron was never a great DC in his career. He was average but not great. At HC he has just been a complete failure outside of one season. He should've never been hired in the first place. Absolutely NOBODY wanted this guy. Well except for Marv Levy. Jauron needs to go after this season. It's ok to make a mistake but it isn't fine to not correct it.

patmoran2006
10-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Bills.
I dont disagree with you, but I dont think there is any chance Levy is going to fire him after only one season.

They may get rid of Losman, Spikes and do some radical player movement, but I think there is a 0% chance of Levy firing Jauron after one year.

ICE74129
10-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Its called we dont' have tommie harris tearing up the middle like chicago. Marv wants chicagos D, then go get chicago like players.

kernowboy
10-23-2006, 10:37 AM
I don't agree with the Sherman signing. He had Favre making him look good and some of his personnel choices made were .... curious.

I initially thought Jim Haslett, maybe even Jim Fassel who at least got the Giants to the Superbowl and I wonder if anyone has Charlie Weis's number.

The Tampa2 was always going to be a shocking fit. We could have got bigger DTs in FA, but none of last years crop are playing well

Ngata was the big miss. I championed him because I thought Buckley was undersized and had read that the 2007 DT crop were comparatively undersized and ordinary. So it has proved. Without juniors coming out it will be that size will only be gained with sleepers.

Size stops a power ground attack at the point of scrimmage. Dillon would struggle to run over a 6ft5, 345lbs guy. Apparently prior to the draft he was throwing around double teams like rag dolls. Plus he is a character player

I'd be happy to go 3-4 with the lineman just holding at the point of contact and using the OLB/DEs to attack from the wings. With smallish DTs its the only way we can front up. Going Williams-Anderson(NT)-Tripplett with Schobel and someone from the left. If Denney can bulk up to 285lbs or Kelsay drop to 255-260lbs we can use them.

We need to draft some meat in the middle on Day2 and hope one might play like Kyle Williams or even better Pat Williams

bigbub2352
10-23-2006, 12:02 PM
All i am saying is how do u install a defense when u dont have the players that fit the scheme, i know transition and it takes time, but shouldnt some of the guys fit the scheme, u mean to tell me Larry tripplett and tim anderson kyle williams and john mccargo rookies or not being pushed 5 yards back every play and offereing no pass rush whatsoever is part of them fitting the scheme, i dont think so, We are in some serious trouble here, any team can do what they want against us and then even if our game plan works against them the other team makes the proper adjustments and we get our ass's handed to us in the second quarter, same as last year with MM, but DJ has experience and that is why i think we are in serious trouble

Saratoga Slim
10-23-2006, 01:04 PM

The Bills D is not the laughingstock of the league. They're not great, but they're not as bad as a lot of units. And they're better than they were last year. I think they're going to be just fine with some more experience in the system and a significant addition or two along the DL. What worries me is the offense.

billsfairweatherfan
10-23-2006, 01:09 PM

Perry Fewell is going nowhere thats dj guy.last year everyone was all gunho about a covertwo.well live with. it just like your stuck with jp

hydro
10-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Im sick of the coaching turnstyle. The Cover 2 defense is pretty productive i believe, seeing as the best defense in the league uses it. Im sure Fewell hasn't forgot how to run it. The PROBLEM here is the personel, some players we have running the defense just aren't cut out for it plain and simple. Success lies in getting the right players to run the D.

Saratoga Slim
10-23-2006, 01:18 PM
All i am saying is how do u install a defense when u dont have the players that fit the scheme, i know transition and it takes time, but shouldnt some of the guys fit the scheme, u mean to tell me Larry tripplett and tim anderson kyle williams and john mccargo rookies or not being pushed 5 yards back every play and offereing no pass rush whatsoever is part of them fitting the scheme, i dont think so, We are in some serious trouble here, any team can do what they want against us and then even if our game plan works against them the other team makes the proper adjustments and we get our ass's handed to us in the second quarter, same as last year with MM, but DJ has experience and that is why i think we are in serious trouble
a. "some of the guys" do fit the scheme. In fact, on defense almost all of the guys we have playing fit the scheme. The ones that clearly didnt (Milloy, Posey etc) are gone. And all our draftees fit the bill perfectly.

b. I think the issue is more a matter of experience running the system and the quality of players remaining at a couple key positions. Notably, as you point out, our DTs are not providing the Tommie-Harris like play that allows you to drop 7 guys into coverage or perhaps more importantly, are unable to hold their gaps and get strong on short-yardage/red zone situations. For what its worth, we didn't give up many yards on the ground yesterday to Dillon and Maroney. But when we needed to stop them--in 3rd and short or near the goal line, we couldn't do so consistently enough. That's pretty much the way its been most games this season. I think that, providing we can maintain the status quo at LB and CB, our defense is one year and one significant DL signing/drafting away from being very good. An impact DE to complement Schobel would be gravy.

c. My problem with the defense is our offense. By not moving the ball consistently enough and by making bad turnovers, the defense is frequently put in real bad positions. When the offense steps it up, the defense will look better. And I gotta say that the offense isnt going anywhere until the damn OL gets some real talent injected. I think we can get away with a Reyes or Fowler in the lineup, but they should be the weak links, not our mid-level lineman. Gandy and Villarial need to be replaced big time.

bigbub2352
10-23-2006, 02:31 PM
The one thing that scares me though as u pointed out is the fact when the D needs to make a stop, they dont, they were worst in the league last year in allowing opposition get a conversion, like i said we got no playmakers, noone to strike fear in opposing QB,s and rbs, they run all over us, then if we stop that then they throw all over us, it is gonna be real hard to find that DT who fits this scheme, they dont just come out every year, I agree a signing or three is needed but the playcalling and the blitzs and coverages Fewell has been calling have been awful and he has gotten consisntently ripped in the second half no adjustments we lost to Detriot because of it

Mudflap1
10-23-2006, 02:37 PM
The D isn't that bad. TKO is not the same as he's been, Fletcher's lost a step, and the DT's are useless. Not to mention McGee gets burnt. They've still been in most games. It's hard to play great D when you do have some holes, and the offense can't stay on the field. The O was totally pathetic yesterday. They should've had much more productivity.

Jon

YardRat
10-23-2006, 02:50 PM
The defense doesn't worry me...the real problems are on the offensive side of the ball.

Fewell's defense got four sacks against Brady, 3 of them coming from the defensive line. JP, in contrast, was only sacked twice. The turnovers were certainly in New England's favor, and the thing that concerns me about the Bills D the last few weeks is their lack of creating them, but let's face it...the TO's were give-aways as opposed to take-aways.

As I stated in a different thread, even the run defense isn't as bad as some like to perceive...Dillon and Maroney only combined for 78 yards on 22 carries and I'll take that every week of the season.

The defense is the main reason Buffalo has two victories and remained close in other games...the offense certainly hasn't been a positive factor overall this year. Slim hit the nail on the head, especially with 'c' - "My problem with the defense is our offense. By not moving the ball consistently enough and by making bad turnovers, the defense is frequently put in real bad positions. When the offense steps it up, the defense will look better."

Couldn't say it any better myself, so I won't.

bigbub2352
10-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Not to mention Dillion 2 rushing TDs or kevin jones rushing for 130 yds and 2 tds, or thomas jones and cedric benson rushing for 2 tds, then ronnie brown 73 yds and a td in the first half or the 178 yds rushing agains NE in the first game or the NYjets game i believe we gave up 3 rushing tds, or Minn gave up a rushing TD also lets not count the 6-7 QB sneeks for 1st downs, i mean come on the defense isnt that bad are u kidding me, the sacks came in the first half, then coaching made there adjustments for nE and he brady didnt touch the ground the rest of the game, and also no sacks in two games prior and i think it was more than that from a DL, because Crowell had 1 each week,

i am not argueing here looks at what this team gives up every week, and dont forget who was driving right down the feild before time ran out, that is coaching in MINN and MIami, they were both gonna score,

This Def is one of the worst in the league, u gotta remeber how much better will the Def be once TKO gets traded, Fletcher, Clements and Kelsay are gone and Schobel turns 30, we are in serious trouble feel free and neg away,

The Defense gets pushed around day in and day out, 2-5 and we lost to and 0-5 team and also barely beat the Dolphins who are horrible, i mean come on already

Mudflap1
10-23-2006, 03:34 PM
This team can't win a game unless the defense holds the team to below 20 points, probably less than 15 -- there's your problem in a global nutshell!

Jon