• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BILLSROCK1212
    !?!?!?!?!?
    • Mar 2006

Bills almost had McFarland at the deadline

The Colts were thankful trade talks broke down between the Bills and Bucs over DT Anthony McFarland. The teams had been in discussions about a trade that would have sent McFarland to Buffalo for CB Nate Clements. The Bills were shopping Clements because they are concerned they might lose him as a free agent after the season. McFarland would have replaced first-round draft pick John McCargo, who recently went on injured reserve. After the talks broke off, the Colts moved in and acquired McFarland for a second-round pick. . . .
    What's next for the Ravens now that offensive coordinator Jim Fassel has been fired? Well, in the short term, it's possible the offense will rally under the direction of coach Brian Billick. And if the offense rights itself, chances are excellent quarterbacks coach Rick Neuheisel will be named coordinator after the season. One of the problems that led to Fassel's dismissal is he and Neuheisel butted heads and others on the staff sided with Neuheisel. The decision to relieve Fassel of play-calling duties was Billick's alone. He was not pushed by management or ownership. The decision to move on was Fassel's. . . .
    Losing SS Mike Brown (torn foot ligament) might mean the Bears will have a drop-off at two positions in the secondary. Of course there will be a drop-off from Brown to his replacement, who likely will be Todd Johnson. And it's possible rookie FS Danieal Manning might not play as well without Brown next to him. Manning has given the defense a boost with his physical play and speed, and he has avoided mental errors remarkably well. Part of the credit for that goes to Brown, who provided reminders, instructions and tips to a willing listener. Whenever Manning had a moment of presnap confusion or indecision, Brown was there to clear it up. That kind of veteran presence is almost impossible to replace. . . .
    Getting cut could not have worked out better for DB Troy Vincent. As a vested veteran who was released after the first game, he escaped from Buffalo collecting his entire 2006 salary of $2.6 million. Then he signed a new deal with the Redskins that will pay him approximately $800,000 this season (the prorated portion of his $810,000 salary plus a signing bonus of approximately $250,000). So all together he's being paid $3.4 million to be a part-time player. In Washington, he is expected to contribute on nickel downs as a cornerback and safety. Signing with the Redskins made the deal perfect for Vincent because he gets to be close to his family in south Jersey and gets to enhance his presence as president of the NFL Players Association because the union's offices are in D.C. What's more, Vincent is reunited with Redskins assistants Gregg Williams and Jerry Gray, for whom he played in Buffalo. . . . Trading DE Anthony Hargrove wasn't difficult for the Rams because of the development of fourth-round pick Victor Adeyanju, who stepped into the starting lineup and produced after Hargrove went AWOL. The Rams believe Adeyanju has more potential than he showed at Indiana, in part because Indiana didn't use him in a way that brought out the best in him. Rams coordinator Jim Haslett's scheme is encouraging Adeyanju to get upfield and use his pass-rush ability. Adeyanju has been like a sponge; he has learned new techniques from coaches and learned from watching veterans such as DT La'Roi Glover. The thinking is Adeyanju probably will continue to add weight to his 6-4 frame, which will enhance his ability to play the run.

• OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Bills almost had McFarland at the deadline

chalk another failure up to the Bills' FO.

I guess the good news is that it means they sense the urgency of the DL situation if they were at least trying to get him.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
      • Jul 2005

I don't count it as a failure at all. I'm pleased to see that OBD was actively trying to do something with Clements as well as address the DL. It doesn't say WHY talks with the Bills broke down. Maybe the Bucs didn't want to renegotiate Clements' contract and were looking for a draft pick instead. I'm OK with the fact that we didn't part with a 2nd round pick for McFarland. That's looking to be a fairly high pick in exchange for an aging, good-but-not-outstanding veteran with a big salary.
      Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim
        an aging, good-but-not-outstanding veteran with a big salary....
        ....is still a huge improvement over the DT's already on our roster. How sad is that?

Anyway, the FO wanted the guy and couldn't get him- how is that not a failure?
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

I don't blame the Front Office. It's not their fault Tampa would rather have a 2nd round pick over an over-paid, over-rated CB.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

I forgot, the almighty Marv is infallible.

He couldn't get a guy that he obviously wanted, and instead that player went to a team we have to play later in the season. Why would I EVER think that would be Marv's fault?

As bad as this team is, I still see a lot of excuses flying around here. If we don't start holding players and FO personnel responsible, this team is never going to get better.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Kerr
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Feb 2005

I knew dungy would be all over his former player. Well, at least marv tried. Tampa didn't like the deal and we're not indy, we need all the draft pick we can get.

Comment

• jamze132
                • Jun 2003

Well I know the NFL isn't like Best Buy or anything, but if I'm in there and I see something that I like, I get it. Especially if there is a sale that is about to expire, like the ****ing trade deadline! You can't really give me a good reason why this trade didn't go down unless it was TB who balked.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I'd like to know the actual details of the deal breaking down.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Dozerdog
                    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                    I forgot, the almighty Marv is infallible.

He couldn't get a guy that he obviously wanted, and instead that player went to a team we have to play later in the season. Why would I EVER think that would be Marv's fault?

As bad as this team is, I still see a lot of excuses flying around here. If we don't start holding players and FO personnel responsible, this team is never going to get better.
                    Yeah. We are supposed to make people take a worse offer.

Seriously- if you were Tampa would you want Clements or the 60th pick in next year's draft? With no guarantee Clements stays.

If you were Marv would you give up the 35th-40th pick in the draft for Booger?

The allmighty OpIv can get any deal done. He can sell refridgerators to eskimos

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                      Yeah. We are supposed to make people take a worse offer.

Seriously- if you were Tampa would you want Clements or the 60th pick in next year's draft? With no guarantee Clements stays.

If you were Marv would you give up the 35th-40th pick in the draft for Booger?

The allmighty OpIv can get any deal done. He can sell refridgerators to eskimos
                      just the fact that Marv was trying to get him proves the 3 DT's we brought in in the off-season haven't been performing up to expectations.

And the fact that the deal only fell through at the last minute proves there must have been something we were willing to give up that they wanted- how else would it have gone even that far?

But, it's NEVER Marv's fault. NEVER.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                        • Jul 2005

just the fact that Marv was trying to get him proves the 3 DT's we brought in in the off-season haven't been performing up to expectations.

And the fact that the deal only fell through at the last minute proves there must have been something we were willing to give up that they wanted- how else would it have gone even that far?

That fact that Marv was trying to get him proves that one of the 3 DT's we brought in in the off-season broke his foot.

Maybe it was Marv's fault. But how the hell do we know? Maybe Tampa wanted Nate and a draft pick. Maybe they didn't want Nate at all and were insisting on a 2nd round pick that we didn't want to give. Who knows. And maybe Marv didn't want him that bad and shied away at the asking price. There's a lot of things that I'd kind of like to buy but won't because the sticker price is higher than I can justify spending.
                        Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

Anyway you want to look at it, DT was one of the spots we neglected by judging that Tim Anderson was good enough to start and/or be part of a regular rotation.

We signed a trillion run-of-mill bargain-basement free agents, DT should've been one of them.

IF this report was true and Tampa wanted Clements and Marv said no then he's a total idiot.. If Tampa didnt want Nate and wanted a second rounder instead and Marv said no, then Marv made the right call.

BTW< anyone watch the Indy game Sunday? First play of the game Booger drilled Clinton Portis at the line of scrimmage.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                            • Jun 2005

OP your blind sometimes man. I would hope that Buffalo would of hung up the phone once he heard 2nd round pick and not Clements. I hate the idea of trading 1st or 2nd rounder for a NON superstar game breaking player. Booger was shipped out for a reason. Would I like to see him come to buffalo yea but not for a 2nd round pick.

Comment

• jpdex12
                              • Jan 2005

yeah. it's got nothing to do with the fact that we lost a 1st round DT due to injury.
                              Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

Working...
                              X