• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

One thing in Losman's defense....

I think the coaches have instructed him not to run and it's holding him back.

On one play yesterday, he was rolling to his right after the protection broke down. He had room to run for maybe 3-4 yards and then duck out of bounds, but instead he backed up two steps, looked again for a receiver, then ended up spinning around and heaving the ball out of bounds downfield (and narrowly avoiding a sack in the process).

He could have ran but he hesitated and pulled it back- he didn't actually scramble until late in the game. The same thing happened with the Lions- he didn't attempt to run until very late in the game.

It seems as though the coaches have instructed him not to run and he only does it as an absolute last-ditch effort. Well, what's the friggin point of having a mobile QB if we're not going to make the D defend against his running ability?

This team lacks talent, but I think our coaches are doing a horrible job of maximizing the talent we do have.
    Last edited by OpIv37; 10-23-2006, 12:58 PM.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Re: One thing in Losman's defense....

The Pats have a system, they turn around players of limited talent and make them talented for their system only. They tend to fail when they go elsewhere

Its the coaching

Comment

• GFLuNEEDit
      Senior Zoner
      • Oct 2006

Well what is the track record of QBs on teams coached by Jauron ?

Comment

• billsfairweatherfan
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37

On one play yesterday, he was rolling to his right after the protection broke down. He had room to run for maybe 3-4 yards and then duck out of bounds, but instead he backed up two steps, looked again for a receiver, then ended up spinning around and heaving the ball out of bounds downfield (and narrowly avoiding a sack in the process).

He could have ran but he hesitated and pulled it back- he didn't actually scramble until late in the game. The same thing happened with the Lions- he didn't attempt to run until very late in the game.

It seems as though the coaches have instructed him not to run and he only does it as an absolute last-ditch effort. Well, what's the friggin point of having a mobile QB if we're not going to make the D defend against his running ability?

This team lacks talent, but I think our coaches are doing a horrible job of maximizing the talent we do have.
        jp takes too long to process any play.no one can tell you when to get your tail running.the blame on jp....short on smarts

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by billsfairweatherfan
          jp takes too long to process any play.no one can tell you when to get your tail running.the blame on jp....short on smarts
          I won't argue that but the way he's playing makes it look like he was INSTRUCTED not to run. I think it would do a lot for his confidence if the coaches would let him rely on his instincts on occasion. And it would also make the D put someone on contain which could open up some passing lanes.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

I think Losman's mobility is a little overstated by some. He has decent speed but he has zero wiggle so he is nothing like a Vick, Young, Cunningham or Elway that consistently make/made plays with their feet. That said, I think rolling him out more would make sense because he has no pocket presence and seems to make more of his big plays from outside the pocket.

Comment

Jauron went through 23 QB changes if Chicago didn't he?

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by EDS
                I think Losman's mobility is a little overstated by some. He has decent speed but he has zero wiggle so he is nothing like a Vick, Young, Cunningham or Elway that consistently make/made plays with their feet. That said, I think rolling him out more would make sense because he has no pocket presence and seems to make more of his big plays from outside the pocket.
                let's put it to you this way- he may not have the elusiveness to tear off a 40 yard run, but he has the speed to get out of the pocket and make 5-10 yards out of a busted play. Considering the number of times our OL allows a busted play, I think it would be good to let him run more.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Kerr
                  Hall of Fame Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

Op is right. The coaches want him to become more of a pocket passer, but he's hardly a pocket passer even coming out of tulane. They don't know how to use him, and it's messing up jp and the offense. However, jp is also at fault for making dumb mistakes.

Comment

• billsfairweatherfan
                    • Jul 2006

I won't argue that but the way he's playing makes it look like he was INSTRUCTED not to run. I think it would do a lot for his confidence if the coaches would let him rely on his instincts on occasion. And it would also make the D put someone on contain which could open up some passing lanes.
                    The oc came from the rams and they did very little .few if any moving the pocket.but everybody wanted to throw deep plays and forget the dump offs.well jp has learn very well ..always looking never checking or taking off.

Comment

• Gunzlingr
                      • Jul 2002

I have wondered this myself. Maybe they have him reigned in too much, maybe they should let him do what he does best.
                      You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Gunzlingr
                        I have wondered this myself. Maybe they have him reigned in too much, maybe they should let him do what he does best.
                        at this point it can't hurt. We only scored 6 agains the pats and 7 against the Bears and haven't scored more than 17 all season. We need to open the offense up somehow.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                          • Jul 2005

I definately have the same impression - JP's got shackles on. I think they're trying to teach him to be a pocket passer and to refrain from taking off whenever protection starts to deteriorate, but there comes a point where if no one's open and there's open grass in front of him, he shouldn't have to think twice about running for it. I'd also like to see a few more plays designed to take advantage of his mobility. Apart from about two boot legs that I can remember, they haven't done that at all.
                          Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• GFLuNEEDit
                            Senior Zoner
                            • Oct 2006

Exactly.

Why draft a mobile QB with the expressed purpose of replacing an immobile one only to convert him into a QB that never leaves the pocket ?

But then again what is Jauron's track record with QBs ?

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                              • May 2003

J.P. needs to learn to keep his eyes upfield before running. Last year you were all complaining that he was too quick to run and now he doesn't know when to run?

Comment

Working...
                              X