X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unpaid_bills
    • Nov 2004

JP's mechanics

One thing I noticed in the game, for some reason yesterday it really stood out to me about JP (especially after watching Brady). When he drops back to pass, he has the "quick feet" drops back really fast seemingly a different pace each time. The ball is also pretty high (compared to other Qb's) If you watch Brady he drops back at a much slower (calmer) pace and is much more balanced when he makes the throw. JP seems to be rushing and off balance much of the time.

The obvious thing too he is holding onto the ball way too long, I know much of that is on the receivers not getting open. He also does not have the confidence in his receivers making the play (like Brady on his TD where he threw into the open space and WR made a great play to the ball) JP seems to force it in there.

I guess what I am saying he is not fluid when he drops back I think that is causing many of his problems.

Just my .02.
    Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills .... Bills Mafia for life
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Re: JP's mechanics

his problem is he doesn't know what's happening on the field. He should have a lot of things figured out before the ball is snapped and has nothing figured out. If he can understand the offense and the defense the mechanics will come for him. Unfortunately he's getting rattled and heading downhill and learning nothing about the offense and defense while he's playing.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
      Defies all logic
      • Oct 2006

Its very interesting you brought this up. I just had a conversation my old man, and he said that he notices how Losman holds the football with one hand. There definately is an issue with his mechanics, he should be holding the ball with both hands.

Comment

• unpaid_bills
        • Nov 2004

until he corrects the hands and feet he will struggle.

Comment

• theanswer74
          • Apr 2004

The problem could be because he was a shotgun QB in college. He didnt drop back to pass when we drafted him, why should we expect him to be comfortable now?

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
            • Jul 2005

Tony Romo looks like he's got some pretty good mechanics. Dude looks like a QB.
            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• unpaid_bills
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by theanswer74
              The problem could be because he was a shotgun QB in college. He didnt drop back to pass when we drafted him, why should we expect him to be comfortable now?
              Agree. Some guys just cant make that transition. Others dont look like anything special in college and they get to the NFL and are stars. Go figure. I am honestly hoping he works out but at this rate he is getting worse. Once the confidence is gone and the mistakes pile on its over.

Comment

• Philagape
                WIN NOW
                • Jul 2002

What I notice is he crouches really low when he scrambles. That has to limit what he sees. It makes him look short when he's 6-2.
                "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• bills_7
                  TIM COUCH IS MY HERO!
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim
                  Roma has crappy arm strength from what i saw

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim
                    Except for his 3 INTs.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

If Losman had a lousy completion ratio, I would be paying more attention to mechanics. This season he's completing 61.9% of his passes. That doesn't sound like a mechanics issue. That said, QB coach Turk Schonert did work with Losman on his backpedal, and it's possible that when he's felt pressure he may have reverted to some of the things he was doing earlier. The interception in the NE game was a mental error, plain and simple. First, JP telgraphed his intentions by locking on to his receiver. That let the DB know the ball was coming in his direction, and what kind of route it was. JP waited too long for it to develop, then he failed to see the DB was ready to jump the route. He's got to learn that's what DBs do, that he's not playing the game in a vacuum. You have to be aware that there are DBs out there who want the ball and they can read your body language.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                      X