X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Big Changes on Bills Offensive Line

With an offense ranked 30th in the league, pass protection a glaring problem and a running game dropping from top ten status to near the bottom third of the league, Buffalo's coaching staff made wholesale changes to their offensive line.

Left tackle Mike Gandy, who has not built on a solid 2005 season was moved inside to left guard where he'll replace Tutan Reyes. Filling the void at left tackle is Jason Peters who moves to J.P. Losman's blind side. Taking Peters old position of right tackle will be rookie seventh round pick Terrance Pennington.

"Obviously Tutan Reyes becomes a backup for us and it was a hard decision because Tutan has done alright in there," said Jauron. "But we just feel like this gives us our best shot and maybe strengthen us a little inside and all around. So we're going to experiment with it."

The Bills needed to chart a new course up front on offense. Their pass protection, though not totally the fault of the offensive line has been a problem in several games. Buffalo is 30th in the league in sacks allowed per play. The team surrenders an average of three sacks per game, or one for every 10 dropbacks by J.P. Losman.

The shuffling puts Buffalo's most talented offensive tackle at the most important position. Peters, after a brief stint at tight end, was initially trained at left tackle when first moved to the offensive line by the coaching staff. He had taken all his reps as Mike Gandy's backup last year, until former right tackle Mike Williams' ineffectiveness and inability to stay healthy thrust Peters into the lineup at right tackle midway through the 2005 campaign. He's stayed there ever since, until now.

• Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

Big Changes on Bills Offensive Line

With an offense ranked 30th in the league, pass protection a glaring problem and a running game dropping from top ten status to near the bottom third of the league, Buffalo's coaching staff made wholesale changes to their offensive line.
    Left tackle Mike Gandy, who has not built on a solid 2005 season was moved inside to left guard where he'll replace Tutan Reyes. Filling the void at left tackle is Jason Peters who moves to J.P. Losman's blind side. Taking Peters old position of right tackle will be rookie seventh round pick Terrance Pennington.

MORE
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• HAMMER
      I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
      • Jul 2003

Re: Big changes on Bills O-Line

I like it, can't do much worse. Hopefully Peters will gain Losman's confidence which should help settle him down in the pocket. It can't be fun dropping back knowing that at any second you are going to get whalloped because your blind side is protected by a turnstile.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Re: Big Changes on Bills Offensive Line

At least they're trying. Sitting still would have pissed everyone off.

Next- Start rolling out JP more, to avoid the blindside hits and turnovers.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

i dont know about pennington at RT, but i can say...

FINALLY!!!!

PETERS AT LEFT TACKLE!!!!

this is actually an incredibly smart move to do this..

hopefully this eliminates our need to draft a LT high and we have peters locked up long term for a good price.

gandy cant play worse at guard than tackle, so hopefully he will play better.. i hadnt really been down on reyes, but i guess he just wasnt cutting it.

all we need now is to get rid of villarial..

i am surprised that butler isnt getting a shot at RT, but pennington is a big boy.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

I would have been happy if they'd move Reyes to RG his position with the Panthers and kept Merz at LG

I think if you have a good game you should keep your place

Comment

• Pride
              • Jul 2002

What game did you watch that you thought Merz had a good game????

Comment

• Patti120
                • Aug 2004

WOW, should be interesting and hopefully an improvement!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

The move was evetually gonna happen. They just wanted to extend Peters' contract w/ RT money first.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• bigbub2352
                    • Feb 2005

About time u put your best athlete at the most important position, Gandy is better suited for guard, dont know about Pennington though, i thought they were higher on Butler at RT, anyway we will see at least they are trying something cant do any worse
                    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Dont drink the water
                      • Oct 2005

Hopefully run game will improve with someone who can be physical at RT but watch out JP for when Golden Boy Peters makes a mental mistake!

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

Thank GOD! Its about time! If Peters works out this does eliminate a HUGE need this offseason! WOO HOOO!!!

Two things...

1) I hope we only gave reyes a 1 year deal.

2) Friggin Villarial! Why is he still in the lineup? He was directly responsible for several of the lines screwups this year!!!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

I like the moves, but I'd also like to see Vilarrial on the bench, as well. Perhaps changes at 3 positions is viewed as enough at this point.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Dont drink the water
                            • Oct 2005

Re: Big changes on Bills O-Line

Originally posted by Pride
                            The Bills needed to chart a new course up front on offense. Their pass protection, though not totally the fault of the offensive line has been a problem in several games. Buffalo is 30th in the league in sacks allowed per play. The team surrenders an average of three sacks per game, or one for every 10 dropbacks by J.P. Losman.
                            Considering how few drives are sustained by offense I am not sure if that is good or bad. Brady got sacked a lot by Bills but he was able to still able to recover and complete drives.

I do not care if QB gets sacked a lot if QB can physically and mentally take it and is still able to sustain drives.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                              I like the moves, but I'd also like to see Vilarrial on the bench, as well. Perhaps changes at 3 positions is viewed as enough at this point.
                              Agreed.

He's hurt all the time anyhow. I bet Merz will see more action than him at RG the rest of the year. A big young inexperienced kid who can't possibly play any worse than Chris V., who's been pitching a no-hitter all year.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X