PDA

View Full Version : Big Changes on Bills Offensive Line

Pride
10-24-2006, 10:23 AM
With an offense ranked 30th in the league, pass protection a glaring problem and a running game dropping from top ten status to near the bottom third of the league, Buffalo's coaching staff made wholesale changes to their offensive line.

Left tackle Mike Gandy, who has not built on a solid 2005 season was moved inside to left guard where he'll replace Tutan Reyes. Filling the void at left tackle is Jason Peters who moves to J.P. Losman's blind side. Taking Peters old position of right tackle will be rookie seventh round pick Terrance Pennington.

"Obviously Tutan Reyes becomes a backup for us and it was a hard decision because Tutan has done alright in there," said Jauron. "But we just feel like this gives us our best shot and maybe strengthen us a little inside and all around. So we're going to experiment with it."

The Bills needed to chart a new course up front on offense. Their pass protection, though not totally the fault of the offensive line has been a problem in several games. Buffalo is 30th in the league in sacks allowed per play. The team surrenders an average of three sacks per game, or one for every 10 dropbacks by J.P. Losman.

The shuffling puts Buffalo's most talented offensive tackle at the most important position. Peters, after a brief stint at tight end, was initially trained at left tackle when first moved to the offensive line by the coaching staff. He had taken all his reps as Mike Gandy's backup last year, until former right tackle Mike Williams' ineffectiveness and inability to stay healthy thrust Peters into the lineup at right tackle midway through the 2005 campaign. He's stayed there ever since, until now.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4310

Gunzlingr
10-24-2006, 10:23 AM
With an offense ranked 30th in the league, pass protection a glaring problem and a running game dropping from top ten status to near the bottom third of the league, Buffalo's coaching staff made wholesale changes to their offensive line.
Left tackle Mike Gandy, who has not built on a solid 2005 season was moved inside to left guard where he'll replace Tutan Reyes. Filling the void at left tackle is Jason Peters who moves to J.P. Losman's blind side. Taking Peters old position of right tackle will be rookie seventh round pick Terrance Pennington.

MORE (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4310)

HAMMER
10-24-2006, 10:25 AM
I like it, can't do much worse. Hopefully Peters will gain Losman's confidence which should help settle him down in the pocket. It can't be fun dropping back knowing that at any second you are going to get whalloped because your blind side is protected by a turnstile.

Night Train
10-24-2006, 10:28 AM
At least they're trying. Sitting still would have pissed everyone off.

Next- Start rolling out JP more, to avoid the blindside hits and turnovers.

Tatonka
10-24-2006, 10:29 AM
i dont know about pennington at RT, but i can say...

FINALLY!!!!

PETERS AT LEFT TACKLE!!!!

this is actually an incredibly smart move to do this..

hopefully this eliminates our need to draft a LT high and we have peters locked up long term for a good price.

gandy cant play worse at guard than tackle, so hopefully he will play better.. i hadnt really been down on reyes, but i guess he just wasnt cutting it.

all we need now is to get rid of villarial..

i am surprised that butler isnt getting a shot at RT, but pennington is a big boy.

kernowboy
10-24-2006, 10:31 AM
I would have been happy if they'd move Reyes to RG his position with the Panthers and kept Merz at LG

I think if you have a good game you should keep your place

Pride
10-24-2006, 10:34 AM
What game did you watch that you thought Merz had a good game????

Patti120
10-24-2006, 10:35 AM
WOW, should be interesting and hopefully an improvement!

justasportsfan
10-24-2006, 10:36 AM
The move was evetually gonna happen. They just wanted to extend Peters' contract w/ RT money first. :up:

bigbub2352
10-24-2006, 10:39 AM
About time u put your best athlete at the most important position, Gandy is better suited for guard, dont know about Pennington though, i thought they were higher on Butler at RT, anyway we will see at least they are trying something cant do any worse

Dont drink the water
10-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Hopefully run game will improve with someone who can be physical at RT but watch out JP for when Golden Boy Peters makes a mental mistake!

ICE74129
10-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Thank GOD! Its about time! If Peters works out this does eliminate a HUGE need this offseason! WOO HOOO!!!

Two things...

1) I hope we only gave reyes a 1 year deal.

2) Friggin Villarial! Why is he still in the lineup? He was directly responsible for several of the lines screwups this year!!!

Jan Reimers
10-24-2006, 10:42 AM
I like the moves, but I'd also like to see Vilarrial on the bench, as well. Perhaps changes at 3 positions is viewed as enough at this point.

Dont drink the water
10-24-2006, 10:45 AM
The Bills needed to chart a new course up front on offense. Their pass protection, though not totally the fault of the offensive line has been a problem in several games. Buffalo is 30th in the league in sacks allowed per play. The team surrenders an average of three sacks per game, or one for every 10 dropbacks by J.P. Losman.

Considering how few drives are sustained by offense I am not sure if that is good or bad. Brady got sacked a lot by Bills but he was able to still able to recover and complete drives.

I do not care if QB gets sacked a lot if QB can physically and mentally take it and is still able to sustain drives.

Night Train
10-24-2006, 10:45 AM
I like the moves, but I'd also like to see Vilarrial on the bench, as well. Perhaps changes at 3 positions is viewed as enough at this point.

Agreed.

He's hurt all the time anyhow. I bet Merz will see more action than him at RG the rest of the year. A big young inexperienced kid who can't possibly play any worse than Chris V., who's been pitching a no-hitter all year.

Kerr
10-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Peters to LT? Finally!

Dont drink the water
10-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Agreed.

He's hurt all the time anyhow. I bet Merz will see more action than him at RG the rest of the year. A big young inexperienced kid who can't possibly play any worse than Chris V., who's been pitching a no-hitter all year.

Perhaps he will play swing guard like we used to have for tackle; I forget his name but he used have almost as many plays as Jennings as tackle.

ryjam282
10-24-2006, 10:53 AM
I would have liked to see Reyes take over for Villarial but I LOVE the move of Peters to LT. Signed him in the offseason for starting RT money and now he will be our starting LT...Great move Marv, let's hope he continues to progress as he has been.

Forward_Lateral
10-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Finally Peters at LT. FINALLY.

Now, get rid of Villarial and put Reyes at RG.

Night Train
10-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Finally Peters at LT. FINALLY.

Now, get rid of Villarial and put Reyes at RG.

I'm thinking they'd be better off leaving the Merz kid in over Chris V or Reyes. I realize the experience factor but Merz is much bigger and stronger than Reyes, who has been run over often this year by DT's. Plus Reyes gets zero push in the running game.

Why move a weakness to a different spot ? To me, he's just another Bennie Anderson experiment that failed.

Dr. Lecter
10-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Why isn't Reyes starting for freakin Villarrial????

Dr. Lecter
10-24-2006, 11:10 AM
What game did you watch that you thought Merz had a good game????

For a guy who was drafted about ten spots before the end he played well. He got blown up once or twice, but was much better than Villarrial.

Forward_Lateral
10-24-2006, 11:11 AM
For a guy who was drafted about ten spots before the end he played well. He got blown up once or twice, but was much better than Villarrial.

Exactly, he didn't let a guy go untouched, AROUND him to sack JP either.

Romes
10-24-2006, 11:16 AM
good move to make during the bye week. gives them an extra week to practice this new formation.

Not only will it be interesting to see how Peters does at LT but it'll also be interesting to see if we picked up anything of value in Pennigton.

I like this move, this team was getting stagnant a change needed to be made somewhere.

ICE74129
10-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Why isn't Reyes starting for freakin Villarrial????yeah no joke.

bocephuz
10-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Now's the time to "dick" around with the line. I like the move. Gives 'em two weeks to work it out and get acclimated.

So here's what we have going forward...

LT: Peters - had a great game last week, very rare you find yourself getting off your seat and pumped up cheering for plays an o-lineman is making.. but Peters did it to me. I think he'll have his slip ups at first but should be just fine. Certainly an updgrade for pass blocking over Gandy

LG: Gandy - Gandy has done a solid job of run blocking all year .. pass blocking another story. Moving to natural guard position makes perfect sense.

C: Fowler - has been an updgrade from Teague. Seems to do a nice job pulling.

RG: Villarial - Hasn't really showed me anything. Run blocking has been weak ( seems to me that they haven't run well on the right side all year and methinks its Villarial not Peters) and he's whiffed picking up the rush a few times. Why not try Reyes ( who to me has at least done a good job run blocking on the left side) at RG?

RT: Pennington- No idea. We'll see. I like the fact that he's big.. but so was Mike Williams

In the end it's just a shell game ... moving the strength of the line to the left and putting weakness over on the right.. but it should at the very least help out the pass blocking a little.

Mudflap1
10-24-2006, 11:26 AM
At least they are being proactive, and they are realizing where there are big problems, ie offensive line, defensive line, and quarterback. They are paying attention. This is positive news. At least they are trying some things.

Jon

TigerJ
10-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Good move! I think Gandy will be OK at guard. He seems to be strong enough. James Hall didn't bowl him over. He just went around him way too easily. That doean't have as much chance of happening in the inside. Is there any reason Reyes couldn't move to the right side if Villarial continues to fall falt on his face? The big question is going to be Pennington. He's got plenty of tools, but the scoop on him coming out of college was "underachiever" who wasn't in the game mentally. He was also pretty raw. Have the Bills been able to light a fire under him and rectify his lack of technique/readiness. It is interesting that he beats out Butler, who looked to be more NFL ready coming out of Virginia where he was playing RT. It's an experiment to be sure, but there's nothing to lose at this point.

Elminster
10-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Good move! I think Gandy will be OK at guard. He seems to be strong enough. James Hall didn't bowl him over. He just went around him way too easily. That doean't have as much chance of happening in the inside. Is there any reason Reyes couldn't move to the right side if Villarial continues to fall falt on his face? The big question is going to be Pennington. He's got plenty of tools, but the scoop on him coming out of college was "underachiever" who wasn't in the game mentally. He was also pretty raw. Have the Bills been able to light a fire under him and rectify his lack of technique/readiness. It is interesting that he beats out Butler, who looked to be more NFL ready coming out of Virginia where he was playing RT. It's an experiment to be sure, but there's nothing to lose at this point.
I read on the other side that his school(New Mexico? or is that Merz?) runs a zone-blocking scheme and that his oline coach there is part of the McNally oline coaching tree, so he was probably more familiar with our scheme than Butler. He also has better physical abilities. But we'll get to see against the Packers...

Mahdi
10-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Considering how few drives are sustained by offense I am not sure if that is good or bad. Brady got sacked a lot by Bills but he was able to still able to recover and complete drives.

I do not care if QB gets sacked a lot if QB can physically and mentally take it and is still able to sustain drives.
Brady has been sacked 8 times all year. 6 by the Bills. He is not used to being hit at all. Plus, once they figured out how to avoid the Bills pass rush im sure he was confident again, and we never ended up touching Brady in the second half. You cannot compare Brady and Losman.

Pinkerton Security
10-24-2006, 12:05 PM
I really like the fact that they perhaps they realize that several of Losman's key turnovers have come on blitzes and simple miscues off that left side. There is a reason why the left tackle position is more important than the right side, and now at least if Pennington makes a mistake, Losman will not be completely blind to the fact and left utterly vulnerable.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-24-2006, 12:17 PM
This is more like the future Bills O-Line anyway, at least at Tackle and center.

If Peters works out, there is no need to use a high 1st rounder on LT next year.

Pennington has all the physical tools for a tackle: agility, strength, and something McNally really likes: very long arms. He has character issues and a lazy label that caused his stock to drop. If - that's a big if - he shows signs that he has what it takes to man the position, I think the Bills might writ-off the tackle needs completely next year.

The guards are a different story. I told you guys before the season started that I was not sold on Reyes at all. and now it appears Duke Preston still cannot take the job from either Reyes or Villarial. At this stage, he appears to be the prime backup for all 3 interior positions.

Aaron Merz started last game ahead of Preston. And they prefer Gandy over him at LG right after that. So if everything stays the way they are by the end of the season, signing a quality guard and drafting a prime guard candidate could possibly lead to the best Bills O-Line in years.

Mahdi
10-24-2006, 12:22 PM
I like these O-line moves by why stop there. Reyes should replace Villarial, he's useless and does not have the athletic ability they keep referring to as a need on the O-line. Is it just loyalty at this point?

jamze132
10-24-2006, 12:31 PM
It's amazing how much better this line could be just by moving one Pop Warner superstar away from LT. I wonder if Gandy would be a better asset to this team if he wasn't on it at all?

ICE74129
10-24-2006, 12:47 PM
I like these O-line moves by why stop there. Reyes should replace Villarial, he's useless and does not have the athletic ability they keep referring to as a need on the O-line. Is it just loyalty at this point?

DJ isn't totally stupid.:bandwagon Bench his biggest advocate in the locker room? Uh..not this season he isn't.

GFLuNEEDit
10-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Sounds to me like the thing to do.

If players can't get the job done get them out of there.

Saratoga Slim
10-24-2006, 12:56 PM
This is more like the future Bills O-Line anyway, at least at Tackle and center.

If Peters works out, there is no need to use a high 1st rounder on LT next year.

Pennington has all the physical tools for a tackle: agility, strength, and something McNally really likes: very long arms. He has character issues and a lazy label that caused his stock to drop. If - that's a big if - he shows signs that he has what it takes to man the position, I think the Bills might writ-off the tackle needs completely next year.

Excellent post. That's what I'm most excited about-learning if we need to spend a first rounder and big money on a LT. RTs are cheaper and usually a little easier to find. If Peters can be playing like he has on the right side over on the left, then that's a major checkmark on the offseason shopping list.

And what the hell, why not try out Pennington if they think he has some talent. At this point, we aint' winning and JP's getting hammered anyway. If they thought Pennington wasn't ready for a shot, they could have simply moved Gandy to RT and left Reyes in there.

This is very likely going to be ugly for a while while the guys get used to new positions. But at least they've got two weeks to get it rolling on the practice field.

How exciting, something to talk about other than JP.

Michael82
10-24-2006, 01:55 PM
This is excellent news. This is one of the changes that I have been praying that they would make. :up: Finally, Losman won't have to worry about getting blindsided every single ****ing week. Face it, the left side has been a mess. I'm also surprised that Villarrial didn't get bumped, but I guess they figure that they need some kind of veteran presence on the line. :idunno:

EDS
10-24-2006, 01:58 PM

I think I rather have Merz then either of them.

Philagape
10-24-2006, 01:58 PM
www.GetVillarrialtheHellOutofThere.com

Mr. Cynical
10-24-2006, 02:03 PM

Because Dick has Villarial Disease from their Chicago days together.

HHURRICANE
10-24-2006, 02:10 PM
This is scary!!

Well it's obvious to me that we are making changes to evaluate the talent for next year. Preston must really suck if he can't beat out Gandy at Left Guard.

Pennington at RT is an experimentt for sure. With Villareal not having Peters to save his ass Losman might want to attach rear view mirrors to his helmet.

SquishDaFish
10-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Finally! Now Jp doesnt have to worry about the blindside. You know that has been worrying him on every dropback. I love it and now we should see JP get a little more comfortable and progress.

GFLuNEEDit
10-24-2006, 02:18 PM
The next step is to find a better than average running back who is also willing to block.

Mudflap1
10-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Rumor has it from One Bills Drive that a phone call was placed to one Jerry Crafts to see what his availability looks like to fill the RT position... LOL...

Jon

Mudflap1
10-24-2006, 02:54 PM

The only thing I can say here is that I'm upset I didn't think of this one first... LOL!

Jon

TigerJ
10-24-2006, 03:43 PM
I read on the other side that his school(New Mexico? or is that Merz?) runs a zone-blocking scheme and that his oline coach there is part of the McNally oline coaching tree, so he was probably more familiar with our scheme than Butler. He also has better physical abilities. But we'll get to see against the Packers...

Pennington is the New Mexico alum. Merz is from California somewhere I think, yeah, the University of California. I know Pennington is considered the more athletic of the two.

X-Era
10-24-2006, 04:00 PM

"Obviously Tutan Reyes becomes a backup for us and it was a hard decision because Tutan has done alright in there," said Jauron. "But we just feel like this gives us our best shot and maybe strengthen us a little inside and all around. So we're going to experiment with it."

The shuffling puts Buffalo's most talented offensive tackle at the most important position. Peters, after a brief stint at tight end, was initially trained at left tackle when first moved to the offensive line by the coaching staff. He had taken all his reps as Mike Gandy's backup last year, until former right tackle Mike Williams' ineffectiveness and inability to stay healthy thrust Peters into the lineup at right tackle midway through the 2005 campaign. He's stayed there ever since, until now.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4310

This in one swoop gives us a potential lock down LT, actually strengthens LG, and gives another rookie time to learn the starting RT job. I would question the move if we were going anywhere but we arent.

Now, this drastically impacts the draft and FA, IMO. It potentially fills 2 needs at once. Gandy may turn out to be a very good LG, and Peters has all the potential in the world at LT.

RT's are easier to find, cost less, and can be drafted lower. If Pennington looks like he doesnt get it, we may need a RT, but thats about 300% better of a position than trying to find a LT.

I think this impacts our draft the most. Many of us thought LT was our biggest need for sure. Now, we can take a longer look at lesser needs.

DE probably jumps to the top of the need list. However, it would be great to pounce on another playmaker if one drops. Its especially more possible considering the lack of a top DT. The only other spot that stands out greatly in round early to mid round 1 where there are players worthy of being drafted that high is CB. Im not sure we wont look that way as well considering Clements is as good as gone.

DE, CB, maybe even WR become our biggest needs. Id say ILB but there really isnt anyone worthy of a top 15 pick at this point.

My leading candidate right now is Gaines Adams

Romes
10-24-2006, 04:05 PM

sounds like Dick should have worn a hat.

Earthquake Enyart
10-24-2006, 04:11 PM
We are trying out McFarlane, Gandy, and Villareal for next year.

Reyes is staying.

kernowboy
10-24-2006, 04:18 PM
This in one swoop gives us a potential lock down LT, actually strengthens LG, and gives another rookie time to learn the starting RT job. I would question the move if we were going anywhere but we arent.

Now, this drastically impacts the draft and FA, IMO. It potentially fills 2 needs at once. Gandy may turn out to be a very good LG, and Peters has all the potential in the world at LT.

RT's are easier to find, cost less, and can be drafted lower. If Pennington looks like he doesnt get it, we may need a RT, but thats about 300% better of a position than trying to find a LT.

I think this impacts our draft the most. Many of us thought LT was our biggest need for sure. Now, we can take a longer look at lesser needs.

DE probably jumps to the top of the need list. However, it would be great to pounce on another playmaker if one drops. Its especially more possible considering the lack of a top DT. The only other spot that stands out greatly in round early to mid round 1 where there are players worthy of being drafted that high is CB. Im not sure we wont look that way as well considering Clements is as good as gone.

DE, CB, maybe even WR become our biggest needs. Id say ILB but there really isnt anyone worthy of a top 15 pick at this point.

My leading candidate right now is Gaines Adams

I think we need to wait to see how Peters plays at LT. He cannot fail to be worse than Gandy so yes the line will improve, but I don't think we should blind ourselves to say that LT is now locked down until he has an excellent 9 games. Being only a little taller but having the same girth as Ruben Brown, I think he could easily move inside, push Gandy out of the club and we have athletic LT/LG side for the next 10 years with a good draft pick like Long or Free.

With such freakish depth at OT this year it would be extremely foolish to pass up on a LT. At worse we can move them inside as apart from Mike Jones from Iowa, the guard and centre quality is very poor.

Regarding Gandy and Villarial I think its Jauron's loyalty card being swiped again. I actually don't believe it has anything to do with Preston's or Merz's ability. It is an interesting call to go for Pennington before Butler. I suppose the extra weight of Pennington helps. Butler will provide solid depth.

Merz did well as a R7 called up at the last moment and I would be happy to see him get more game time.

As for Peters, good move, .... but I'll hold my tongue as to whether it will be a great move until the end of the season

Earthquake Enyart
10-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Gandy was a decent G for the Bears.

I'd like to see them work Preston in there somewhere.

kernowboy
10-24-2006, 04:29 PM

Wasn't he cut by the Bears? I'm sure it wasn't cap related

YardRat
10-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Nice to see some decisive action taken by the coaches heading into the bye week, but I'm not going to proclaim 'success' until the new unit actually takes the field.

I hope Peters can make the switch to LT, I'm glad to see Pennington get a shot since I've mentioned him a few times the last couple of weeks, and I'm a little ambivilant about Gandy's move to LG. Is he replacing Reyes outright because of skill level and production, or is Reyes still too banged up to work with the new unit the next two weeks?

Also...it's pretty obvious to most of us armchair QB's that Villariel is a wink link, yet none of the moves address RG. I don't buy the 'old-boy network' argument for Jauron sticking with V.

I thought Merz acquitted himself just fine against New England...I'd like to see more of him in the future.

Bottom line...wait and see, wait and see.

I will say this, though...it's going to be interesting, to say the least, to read the comments on this board if and when JP gets blasted into a fumble from his blindside while Peters is out there on the island now and not Gandy.

patmoran2006
10-24-2006, 04:52 PM
I like this move for the most part..

It's alot easier to find a RT than a LT next season, and it eliminates the need to take a OT in the top 10 of the draft, should Peters work out.

I wish Reyes would take over for Villarrial at RG.. That might eventually happen.

Im shocked Pennington's going to start at RT and not Butler.. I guess Butler wasnt doing as well as we thought.

STill like it though, how much worse could it be than it's been, and I especially like it cause if they play decent it gives you JP buttpluggers one less excuse to make up. (neg away for the last comment)

kernowboy
10-24-2006, 05:00 PM

It's alot easier to find a RT than a LT next season, and it eliminates the need to take a OT in the top 10 of the draft, should Peters work out.

I wish Reyes would take over for Villarrial at RG.. That might eventually happen.

Im shocked Pennington's going to start at RT and not Butler.. I guess Butler wasnt doing as well as we thought.

STill like it though, how much worse could it be than it's been, and I especially like it cause if they play decent it gives you JP buttpluggers one less excuse to make up. (neg away for the last comment)

if it works out we may not be drafting in the top 10

Dr. Lecter
10-24-2006, 05:13 PM

Pennington has been dressing ahead of Butler, so it is no big shock. It could be that Pennington is just better and a comment on his good play rather than Butler's bad play.

As for the JP comment, if you think the bad o-line play has been made-up, you are watching different games than most of us.

X-Era
10-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Nice to see some decisive action taken by the coaches heading into the bye week, but I'm not going to proclaim 'success' until the new unit actually takes the field.

I hope Peters can make the switch to LT, I'm glad to see Pennington get a shot since I've mentioned him a few times the last couple of weeks, and I'm a little ambivilant about Gandy's move to LG. Is he replacing Reyes outright because of skill level and production, or is Reyes still too banged up to work with the new unit the next two weeks?

Also...it's pretty obvious to most of us armchair QB's that Villariel is a wink link, yet none of the moves address RG. I don't buy the 'old-boy network' argument for Jauron sticking with V.

I thought Merz acquitted himself just fine against New England...I'd like to see more of him in the future.

Bottom line...wait and see, wait and see.

I will say this, though...it's going to be interesting, to say the least, to read the comments on this board if and when JP gets blasted into a fumble from his blindside while Peters is out there on the island now and not Gandy.

I agree completely. I think we need to observe patience with these new changes as well. Peters is a helluva OT, but he hasnt been a helluva LT, YET. I think he will be, but he may make mistakes too. Gandy will make mistakes as well at LG.

I expect to see some missed assignments with the spots being switched up, its natural to forget who your supposed to cover. What I hope to see is better athleticism, and better overall movement of the line of scrimmage. This should work on paper.

Penningtons the big if. Hes going to flat out look awful at times.

We need to be prepared to weather the storm.

Mahdi
10-24-2006, 05:47 PM
I think I rather have Merz then either of them.
Actually Merz made a great block on Harrison to spring McGahee on that shovel pass. He looks like he can move a bit.

Mahdi
10-24-2006, 05:51 PM

What I dont like about Preston is that he is not that strong and at the same time, he's not the best athlete, so he really doesnt bring much to the table in IMO.

Nighthawk
10-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Thank GOD! Its about time! If Peters works out this does eliminate a HUGE need this offseason! WOO HOOO!!!

Two things...

1) I hope we only gave reyes a 1 year deal.

2) Friggin Villarial! Why is he still in the lineup? He was directly responsible for several of the lines screwups this year!!!

Villarial is still in there because he is Dickey's boy...the Chicago connection, don't ya know?!? He is terrible and should be replaced.

PECKERWOOD
10-24-2006, 08:08 PM
This is scary!!

Well it's obvious to me that we are making changes to evaluate the talent for next year. Preston must really suck if he can't beat out Gandy at Left Guard.

Pennington at RT is an experimentt for sure. With Villareal not having Peters to save his ass Losman might want to attach rear view mirrors to his helmet.
Gandy isnt a bad LG, Preston cant beat out Villarial, now thats scary. Remember this, Gandy isnt naturally a left tackle, yet he filled in well for us last year. He will excel at LG.

Typ0
10-25-2006, 06:40 AM
a lot of you people were told you were going to get a monetary gift somewhere down the road and have already spent the money.

kernowboy
10-25-2006, 07:05 AM
I agree completely. I think we need to observe patience with these new changes as well. Peters is a helluva OT, but he hasnt been a helluva LT, YET. I think he will be, but he may make mistakes too. Gandy will make mistakes as well at LG.

I expect to see some missed assignments with the spots being switched up, its natural to forget who your supposed to cover. What I hope to see is better athleticism, and better overall movement of the line of scrimmage. This should work on paper.

Penningtons the big if. Hes going to flat out look awful at times.

We need to be prepared to weather the storm.

Not wanting to over support Villarial but a reason he got the nod is experience. Pennington will be a complete rookie and I am concerned about playing Merz or Preston there, not because I don't believe they cannot beat out Villarial but because it would leave a load of novices on the right. I would eventually like to see Preston given a proper chance to compete at his college position of Centre as well

I think the selection of Pennington over Butler is that he's found it easier to adapt to the pro-game than Bulter coming from a McNally groupies OL, plus he has more bulk. This will encourage Butler to put on some weight and I can see one or the other becoming either an better than average or good RT

My concern about Gandy at OG is that this is his best position, yet he got beat in competition at Bears and was cut.

With Peters at left tackle he MAY NOT be the complete answer. I am surprised at some of the over excitement. Yes, at present he is the best option we have on roster. However we should not leave him as the only option. Left Tackle requires not just physical athleticism but mental ahtleticism. On the Right your loss of concentration is occasionally recoverable, on the left a lack of concentration means goodbye and good night. He has not yet proven himself

In the offseason we will still need to upgrade the OL. I think we can be happy with Pennington or Butler, one will come through. On Merz's outing either he or Preston will come through, the other providing depth. On the left we have Peters or Gandy. Unless Gandy plays at a level he's not yet attained, the LG will be a problem. The question is

1) Even if Gandy does well, we still need better depth than Reyes
2) If Peters get injured or slumps, especially if its season long do we risk going back to Gandy?

I want to see one of the stud LTs being signed, maybe not in the top 10, but it will be a act of total insanity not to draft a guy in the top two rounds in one of the best drafts for good college LTs ever. If worse comes to worse it is easier to switch left to right than right to left.

That then means we can have a line like

Rookie LT - Peters - Fowler - Preston/Merz - Pennington/Butler

If Peters gets hurt, Gandy comes in
If the rookie gets hurt, Peters moves outside, Gandy comes in

I do not want this to happen:

Matt Lepsis is out for the season for the Broncos. They now face having to replace him with Erik Pears a OFA or Cooper Carlisle the RG

If Peters was to be injured would not you prefer to replace him with Long, or Free, or Staley or Otto - good college LT? Or if the rookie drops, wouldn't you like to be able to move Peters there by sliding him out, knowing that he could do a good job for the season?

You can't provide quality depth everywhere. LT is definitely a place where you should.