Raining on your parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raining on your parade

Not wanting to spoil what seems to be the collective flood of Bills fans wetting themselves in excitement at Jason Peters being moved to the Left tackle role but there are some issues that do need to be stated ...

1) He's not actually played a full game there I believe yet, so its a little premature to say that we no longer need a stud LT in the draft. Yes it does look less of a priority, but after we beat the Vikings it looked like Losman had started to turn the corner and QB was less of a priority. How fickle we are.

2) As Peters was considered a future LT, I would be surprised if he did not have it in his contract a raise if he moved to the left handside. If he doesn't and does well, I can see it being a problem in the offseason. Or he should shoot his agent. It will also give the impression that the Bills are underpaying and cheap, affecting our credibility with Free Agents. There will be some who say it is clever contract work, but I think we will be perceived as a small city team not paying the going rate

3) A concern about Peters at LT is that while on the right, he often faced the slower of the DEs. Therefore he could use his natural athleticism to overcome any mental lapses against a less agile opponent. He will now be up against the fastest and most agile of opponents where one lapse is unrecoverable and the QB is sacked or chased out the pocket. I do have concerns about the sudden need to demonstrate more than mere athleticism

4) Being an LT requires a different stance and a natural feel for being the blindside protector. Forget all the bull*** about wanting to keep Peters on the right, if Peters was that good, the turnstyle wouldn't have made it out of preseason. I think it is an acceptable risk but still a role of the dice.

5) As has been posted, the coaches had to do something. This tells me more about what they think of Nall, than what they think of Peters.

Because Peters cannot be worse than Gandy its a win-win for the coaches. They've acted and done something so have some breathing space.

The question is, can he be better than the LTs currently grading as Round 1 choices?

A lot of college OTs who have played the blindside in college often have to be switched so someone with no college OT background really has to have a hell of lot between his ears as its not a natural postion. It can be done, Matt Lepsis for one but more often than not its the exception that proves the rule.

If we don't grab a college LT in Round 1 of the draft it will be a decision we will rue
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Re: Raining on your parade

Peters just signed a 5-year extension back in July believed to be worth more than $4 million per year.
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Philster
      Peters just signed a 5-year extension back in July believed to be worth more than $4 million per year.
      Sorry another poster said he had signed for RT money, not the LT rate

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

I don't see how this isnt a smart idea to move him to LT at least to see if he can handle it. If not move him back to RT where we know he is solid. I was thinking butler would be the rook to step up but I guess not.

Comment

I'm not saying he shouldn't be on the left for the rest of the season.

I'm just saying we shouldn't get on bleary eyed and already say he's the answer.

I still thinking going v.high on the OL is vital for the long term development of the Bills. I actually think Peters is ultimately better inside where he can use his 330lbs in close combat

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kernowboy
            I'm not saying he shouldn't be on the left for the rest of the season.

I'm just saying we shouldn't get on bleary eyed and already say he's the answer.

I still thinking going v.high on the OL is vital for the long term development of the Bills. I actually think Peters is ultimately better inside where he can use his 330lbs in close combat
            No one is being "Bleary" eyed. We just want to see if he has it. If he can be a good Left tackle he is much more important there even if he would be a GREAT guard.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

LT has been a problem for the Bills for what, 10 years now? I'd say it's time to freaking fix it.

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

The Bills have to try something and getting some younger, stronger players in there, albeit inexperienced ones. We're losing with certain vets doing very little.

It could improve things over time or be nothing more than re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

But at least try.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Like I said before, JP had better get rear-view mirrors for his helmet because Villareal doesn't have Peters saving his ass on the right side anymore. If the Terrence Pennington experiment fails the line is going to look even worse than before the bye.

Comment

• The_Philster
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                    Like I said before, JP had better get rear-view mirrors for his helmet because Villareal doesn't have Peters saving his ass on the right side anymore. If the Terrence Pennington experiment fails the line is going to look even worse than before the bye.
                    He's been in need of rear view mirrors on his helmet...cause of Gandy at LT. Hopefully the left side will be more solid now
                    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• G. Host
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2002

Gandy seemed acceptable at beginning of year but his play went down greatly. Not sure why Reyes is being penalized unless they feel the breakdowns were due to his play.

Comment

Working...
                      X