PDA

View Full Version : NFL OKs international reg. season games

Philagape
10-24-2006, 05:51 PM
NFL owners approve international games during regular season

By BRETT MARTEL
AP Sports Writer
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Two NFL regular-season games will be played each year outside the United States in Mexico, Canada and Europe, starting in 2007.
The plan, first announced last month, was approved Tuesday at the recommendation of new commissioner Roger Goodell.
No specific sites were given for the games. But when the proposal originally was disclosed, the league suggested that Britain and Germany likely would host the European games.
The plan would be set up so that teams would rotate over a 16-year period, with each team playing outside the country twice over that span, once as a visitor, the other as a home team. That means a team would lose one home team during that span.
Losing the home-game revenue was the main objection raised by some teams.
"We're going to get compensated," said Pat Bowlen, owner of the Denver Broncos. "Obviously the league's going to work out the economics and if we lose a home game, we'll get compensated."

WHO'S GONNA COMPENSATE THE FANS YOU IDIOTS?????

Mudflap1
10-24-2006, 06:02 PM
We certainly wouldn't want the owners to lose out on padding their wallets to the highest extent...

Jon

The_Philster
10-24-2006, 06:03 PM
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/sports/15839110.htm

Devin
10-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Man I hate the NFL sometimes.

Cntrygal
10-24-2006, 06:52 PM
:mad:

Michael82
10-24-2006, 09:47 PM
:puke:

Scumbag College
10-24-2006, 10:00 PM
So they want to take one of only eight regular season home games away from a team? The owners already make alot of money at these games, but to take one game away from fans who love their team to show in front of an indifferent audience to make a little bit more money is monsterous. F- them and f there wallets.

Philagape
10-24-2006, 10:14 PM
It would be one home game every 16 years

BUT THAT'S STILL ONE TOO MANY!!!! :curse:

Turf
10-24-2006, 10:29 PM
This franchise is toast. All signs point to it. This very article does mention LA as either a home for NO or "another small market team". We all know who the small market team is. No way is NO going anywhere after Katrina.
With the way Ralph is whining about his money, combined with his age, add to that a franchise that is so pitiful in performance that it can't get a highlite on any national TV network, nor is it worthy of it, all spells of imminent retreat.
Nobody outside of Buffalo cares about Buffalo, and those inside of Buffalo are too busy lining their pockets with whatever they do to be as incredibly inept as they are.
The way this team is playing along with it's recent history of impotence just adds to the woes and really leave no other choice for the NFL. No one outside of the tiny Buffalo News will have anything to say against it nationwide, no one will come to our aid. Even many true fans of this team have become sick of watching a lame franchise limp along. Now the NFL wants LA and wants to go overseas?
With no football defence, and no political defence, the Bill's don't stand a chance of surviving barring a major miracle season in the next couple years.
Judging by the shape this team is in, it's never going to get out of the decline it's in barring a new owner and a prayer.

OpIv37
10-24-2006, 10:58 PM
It's pretty obvious what the first game in Canada will be: Some high-visibility team (Colts, Steelers, Cowboys, Giants, Chargers) "at" the Buffalo Bills in Toronto.

The Bills already have a fan base in Southern Ontario and someone like Peyton Manning or Ladanian Tomlinson will fill the rest of the seats.

PECKERWOOD
10-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Its a bad time to be a Bills fan. If they dont want Buffalo anymore, fine I wont watch there games or buy anymore merchandise.

PECKERWOOD
10-24-2006, 11:57 PM
Are there any other teams facing the same issues as us?

The_Philster
10-25-2006, 02:34 AM
Are there any other teams facing the same issues as us?
Jags to an extent, last I knew

kernowboy
10-25-2006, 03:49 AM
The Jaguars are actually up for sale and it has been mooted they will move

The Chargers are unhappy with San Diego about getting a new stadium. In terms of geography this would be interesting to the NFL. Additionally, didn't the Chargers start in LA?

I have always thought that the moment the Raiders lose Al Davis, Oakland would lose the Raiders, especially considering they play in a non-Football stadium.

I think if Buffalo were to move, Toronto would definitely throw their hat into the ring. In addition there would be strong political will for them to stay as it would be weird not to have a single team playing in New York State

Regarding the NFL playing overseas, what they should do is add a fifth and final pre-season game with the proviso that teams play most of their stars. That it would be a 80-90% game. While the NFL remains strong in Germany, fans in the UK turned off from seeing teams play at Wembley the moment they realised they were merely witnessing training camp fodder after the first down.

Forward_Lateral
10-25-2006, 06:29 AM
I GUARANTEE The Bills would sell out in Toronto, no matter who they played.

kernowboy
10-25-2006, 06:41 AM
I can see the Bills eventually relocating to Toronto.

They have a smallish stadium that can hold them over, and with all the renewed talk of them going after the summer olympics in 2016 which I think could happen as the major USA cities don't have a suitable stadium either unless you count San Francisco and the new 49ers stadium. It is North America's turn.

I can see Rogers getting the necessary support to build an NFL stadium possibly with a sliding roof and the similar to what they have at the Stade de France in Paris with stands which slide in and out over a running track.

The best scenario is the Bills stay in Buffalo. I think the next less-worse option is Toronto

ICE74129
10-25-2006, 07:16 AM
This franchise is toast. All signs point to it. This very article does mention LA as either a home for NO or "another small market team". We all know who the small market team is. No way is NO going anywhere after Katrina.
With the way Ralph is whining about his money, combined with his age, add to that a franchise that is so pitiful in performance that it can't get a highlite on any national TV network, nor is it worthy of it, all spells of imminent retreat.
Nobody outside of Buffalo cares about Buffalo, and those inside of Buffalo are too busy lining their pockets with whatever they do to be as incredibly inept as they are.
The way this team is playing along with it's recent history of impotence just adds to the woes and really leave no other choice for the NFL. No one outside of the tiny Buffalo News will have anything to say against it nationwide, no one will come to our aid. Even many true fans of this team have become sick of watching a lame franchise limp along. Now the NFL wants LA and wants to go overseas?
With no football defence, and no political defence, the Bill's don't stand a chance of surviving barring a major miracle season in the next couple years.
Judging by the shape this team is in, it's never going to get out of the decline it's in barring a new owner and a prayer.

I have been saying this for years. Ralph is going to be gone soon and NO new owner is going to keep the team in Buffalo, sorry no. Fans can scream how loyal they are to the mountain tops, bottom line is MONEY. The new owner will want tickets in the NFL Norm which Fans can't afford. He will want naming rights to the stadium that no company will spend money for etc.

ICE74129
10-25-2006, 07:16 AM
I GUARANTEE The Bills would sell out in Toronto, no matter who they played.and they would do it on a regular basis.

kernowboy
10-25-2006, 07:21 AM
If the franchise is relocated to LA or Toronto the better worse option?

Dr. Lecter
10-25-2006, 07:22 AM
I can see the Bills eventually relocating to Toronto.

They have a smallish stadium that can hold them over, and with all the renewed talk of them going after the summer olympics in 2016 which I think could happen as the major USA cities don't have a suitable stadium either unless you count San Francisco and the new 49ers stadium. It is North America's turn.

I can see Rogers getting the necessary support to build an NFL stadium possibly with a sliding roof and the similar to what they have at the Stade de France in Paris with stands which slide in and out over a running track.

The best scenario is the Bills stay in Buffalo. I think the next less-worse option is Toronto

Toronto is not a real good option. The stadium is not adequate, even temporarily. The economics (the Canadian dollar is still less than the American dollar) also make it unlikely to impossible to have a team fulltime in Canada.

Forward_Lateral
10-25-2006, 08:00 AM
Toronto is not a real good option. The stadium is not adequate, even temporarily. The economics (the Canadian dollar is still less than the American dollar) also make it unlikely to impossible to have a team fulltime in Canada.

The economics would definately be a factor. NHL and MLB teams survive there, so it's not unthinkable that an NFL team could. That being said, they would obviously need a bigger stadium for football.

spacecowboy
10-25-2006, 09:33 AM

The stadium is "just" adequate on a temporary basis, but the big problem would be building a new one. The Ontario tax payer won't pay for it, so thats like another $400 000 000 to $600 000 000 (wow thats a big number when you write it down) for a stadium, on top of the purchase price. As far as the dollar ($0.88) it dosen't really matter, ticket prices will double as soon as the moving vans are full.

THATHURMANATOR
10-25-2006, 09:42 AM
No the only acceptable scenario is for the Bills to stay in Buffalo. If they move to Toronto they, and the country of Canada are DEAD to me!

Night Train
10-25-2006, 09:53 AM
WHO'S GONNA COMPENSATE THE FANS YOU IDIOTS?????

Owners - "The What ?" ( as they make snow angles in thousand dollar bills )

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2006, 11:21 AM
The only place I would even think about supporting the Bills is if it were Toronto. Because I consider them Bill's fans just like us, and it could help us get a bigger fanbase.

THATHURMANATOR
10-25-2006, 11:25 AM
The only place I would even think about supporting the Bills is if it were Toronto. Because I consider them Bill's fans just like us, and it could help us get a bigger fanbase.
How could you stomach it? I would equate it to your big brother stealing your girlfriend that you were madly in love and then marrying her.

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2006, 11:28 AM
How could you stomach it? I would equate it to your big brother stealing your girlfriend that you were madly in love and then marrying her. I dont look at it like that. I look at it like, if we cant support our team by ourselves, we can join up with some other like-minded people that will make us a stronger franchise. No longer would we be considered a small market franchise, and Jerry Jones couldnt dick us around anymore. Plus, Toronto isnt that far away from Buffalo, so I wouldnt mind making the road trip a couple of times each year.

kernowboy
10-25-2006, 11:44 AM
I think both the Blue Jays and Raptors have done ok in the Major Leagues.

I think the big question will come around 2009. This is when the decision is taken about the Summer Olympics 2016. The IOC are very keen on utilisation of sports facilities as a legacy so if Toronto bid, which I think they will, the Canadian government know the strength of the bid will be increased if they have a stadium built and a tenant. If they build the stadium and don't get it, they have a tenant, if they have a tenant and stadium, it strengthens the bid. Its win-win for them. Against them is Vancouver 2010, but in favour is the fact its North America's turn, NBC will be happy, the US may struggle to get behind any one bid, the multi-cultural diversity of Toronto, Canada's positive position amongst many in the world, and the fact that Toronto had the best technical bid for 2008 which Beijing won.

At a certain stage, Ralph will move on and the citizens of Buffalo will have to fork out for a massive rebuild of the Ralph Wilson or a new stadium.

Anybody buying the Bills appears to be no longer hampered by tenancy restrictions

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2003/03/03/story2.html

so the question remains, do you want to see the LA **** or the Toronto Bison/Huskies?

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Thats what I'm saying. I could live with the Bills moving Toronto, seeing how alot of Bill's fans are from Toronto. It would be neat if they could take turns playing home games at RWS and one of there stadiums. That would be a huge fanbase, and really good for our team.

RWS sells out almost every game, it would be beneficial to both parties. Both American and Canadian fans get to see home games, very good idea, imo.

Michael82
10-25-2006, 12:55 PM
If they do this and I lose a home game, I expect to pay for one less game in my season tickets.

And if they want to do this **** to fans, the ticket buying, hardcore season ticket holders, they better also consider making it so we don't have to pay for the ****ing useless preseason games. :mad:

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2006, 12:57 PM
They could cut the season ticket price in half, you get season tickets for games at the Ralph and then season ticks for the Canadian stadium.

justasportsfan
10-25-2006, 12:57 PM
They should play all Miami games abroad. That way more people will show up at the games. :D

Michael82
10-25-2006, 01:04 PM
They could cut the season ticket price in half, you get season tickets for games at the Ralph and then season ticks for the Canadian stadium.
NO! Buffalo Bills or **** the NFL!!!! :mad:

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2006, 01:07 PM
NO! Buffalo Bills or **** the NFL!!!! :mad:
I love my Bills, but if it were that or no Bills at all. Obviously the Toronto Bisons is doable. If the Bills moved to like LA or something, I would be pissed. I figured I would take heat for those posts, but it would be a good business decision and a fair compromise for us fans. Im not Canadian either, if anybody thinks so after these posts, lol. Born in Buff. I just want to see our team live, by any means necessary.

scott51
10-25-2006, 01:38 PM
This is nuts! Europe plays football with a round, white and black ball that they kick into a net!

GFLuNEEDit
10-25-2006, 02:01 PM
If the Bills moved you wouldnt have to fork out money to keep building new facilities for them and you could still turn on the TV and watch.

Besides the Sabres are a better value for your money.

THATHURMANATOR
10-25-2006, 03:23 PM
I dont look at it like that. I look at it like, if we cant support our team by ourselves, we can join up with some other like-minded people that will make us a stronger franchise. No longer would we be considered a small market franchise, and Jerry Jones couldnt dick us around anymore. Plus, Toronto isnt that far away from Buffalo, so I wouldnt mind making the road trip a couple of times each year.
It wouldn't be US anymore it would be THEM. You dont get it.

THATHURMANATOR
10-25-2006, 03:32 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2003/03/03/story2.html

so the question remains, do you want to see the LA **** or the Toronto Bison/Huskies?
I would hate both teams equally.

Actually I would rather have them move to LA because I couldnt stomach Toronto stealing the Bills.

THATHURMANATOR
10-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Thats what I'm saying. I could live with the Bills moving Toronto, seeing how alot of Bill's fans are from Toronto. It would be neat if they could take turns playing home games at RWS and one of there stadiums. That would be a huge fanbase, and really good for our team.

RWS sells out almost every game, it would be beneficial to both parties. Both American and Canadian fans get to see home games, very good idea, imo.
I could handle having 1 or 2 games in Toronto a year if it was a last resort to totally moving the team, but I would still be super pissed off by it.

They are the Buffalo Bills.

G. Host
10-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Its a bad time to be a Bills fan. If they dont want Buffalo anymore, fine I wont watch there games or buy anymore merchandise.
Or write any more posts. :pray:

G. Host
10-25-2006, 05:56 PM

Canadian dollar is not much less than American dollar. Have you been to Canada recently? They do not even give you a bonus back many places.

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2006, 06:57 PM
So I guess some people would rather see this team die then to have a couple games in Toronto. Unbelievable.

The_Philster
10-25-2006, 06:58 PM
So I guess some people would rather see this team die then to have a couple games in Toronto. Unbelievable.
If the team moves from Buffalo, it won't be our Bills anymore

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2006, 07:02 PM
If the team moves from Buffalo, it won't be our Bills anymore
What if we remained the Buffalo Bills, but just played a couple games at Toronto?

The_Philster
10-25-2006, 07:09 PM
What if we remained the Buffalo Bills, but just played a couple games at Toronto?
Sunday afternoons at the Ralph are too big a deal to a lot of us...and considering we're selling out the Ralph as it is, I fail to see how playing games in a smaller stadium would help at all.
And all the luxury box fees that are paid...people would be demanding part of their money back...they pay for 8 regular season and 2 preseason a year...they'd be getting robbed

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Sunday afternoons at the Ralph are too big a deal to a lot of us
I am one of those 'us' my friend. But, if the Bills needed to do this to survive. It would be understandable, atleast to me.

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2006, 07:23 PM
It would help us not by the stadium sales, but by a growth in fanbase. More Canadians would develop a love for the Bills, thus more jerseys, Bill's memorabilia and paraphernalia would be purchased. I'm not saying, I want the Bills to move to Toronto. I'm just saying this is a great opportunity for our franchise. You noticed how Mexico was included on that list of international games? You can expect Dallas, Houston or Tenneessee to play a couple games there. Its all about business. And while football has been America's baby, its starting to attract alot of attention from foreign countries. I dont see how this could hurt the sport in any way.

The_Philster
10-25-2006, 07:29 PM
It would piss off some of the fanbase we already have. The talk about us playing a game in Toronto has been brought up before...and people would demand partial refunds. Piss people off enough, and you lose them as fans. I'd wager we lost a good chunk of fans during the Donahoe regime...because he pissed off the fans as a whole...some of them we probably lost for good.

PECKERWOOD
10-25-2006, 07:33 PM
It would piss off some of the fanbase we already have. The talk about us playing a game in Toronto has been brought up before...and people would demand partial refunds. Piss people off enough, and you lose them as fans. I'd wager we lost a good chunk of fans during the Donahoe regime...because he pissed off the fans as a whole...some of them we probably lost for good.
Good point. I guess its all about how much is to be had, and how much would be lost. Ralph would have to ask himself if the end justifies the means. I really dont have the numbers to crunch in here, but there might be more there to gain. I hope it doesnt happen, but like I said. I can understand if it does happen though.

G. Host
10-25-2006, 08:54 PM
It would really hurt luxury seats unless a proportion of the seat fee was refunded as well.